Zumiez

www.zumiez.com

Zumiez Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Zumiez – Keystone – “100k - Just another way Zumiez gives back to…”

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks

Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • At work the environment is laid back and relationship with management is very open(in 9 reviews)

• You can wear pretty much whatever you want and listen to your own iPod during the day(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers(in 14 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly(in 10 reviews)

Great place to work

Store Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAwesome environment and heavy emphasis on empowering people
    Great training/ sales training

ConsCould have better pay
    Work/Life balance

Good job to start your career, not spend your life

First Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsTraveling for company events, training sessions on hardware goods, employees rewarded for good sales numbers

ConsInflexible work hours for management, very competitive and sometimes cut-throat for numbers and commission. Great job for sales employees in high school, summer college job, or newly graduated. Not a good long-term option based on salary

Energetic and competitive! One of the few companies that still value their employees

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Product, growth potential, discount and incentives. One of the few retailers out there that focus on valuing the customer as well as the store teams. Great for someone who is looking to gain retail experience, have fun and sell great product.

Cons- On-boarding and training programs for external management hires.
    - Good training programs but the way the sales training was written was a little overwhelming for new hires when they are new to the lifestyle of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! I have never interacted with such a passionate team of people on all levels. Rare to actually see a corporate team who's drive and commitment matches or exceeds the field teams.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was fine, but also annoying

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsLaid back atmosphere
    No uniform
    You got commission, even though the rate was kind-of low, you could make lots of money off big sales.
    My fellow employees were very kind. Especially my first manager.

ConsLow amount of hours
    Very stingy on sales goals
    Customer interaction felt extremely forced. Even if a customer didn't want to be bothered you were encouraged to talk to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shoving STASH down everyone's throat.

Low pay, Highly Competitive

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Eureka, CA

ProsDecent Commission structure, lots of available tools for success, casual work environment, great discount.

ConsOverly competitive, Lack of structure in training for new employees, very unprofessional work environment at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional!! Also the pay for assistant managers and store managers is very low compared to that of similar companies.

Disorganized and unfair

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscommission and a friendly environment

Conslack of commitment and ability to move up. terrible hours and they take advantage of you severely as a manager

Advice to Senior Managementgive people more opportunity to move up and someone to talk to to resolve problems late at night when performing store closing procedure

Great company, bad experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsZumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff.

ConsThere was a mixup and something was supposedly stolen by a kid in the fitting room, and without even giving me and another co worker a chance to explain, we were asked not to come back. Other than that though, my experience there was highly positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter system in the fitting rooms

Great company if you're in the right district

First Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed and fun environment! get treated with cool trips and prizes plus good discounts. Generally good co workers.

ConsSales kids generally get screwed.... personally don't think the job is worth it unless you need a very minimal seasonal job or get management. We weren't generally suppose to fire people... just not schedule them. Some unethical things going on with the company. Though if you're at least management you'll get treated better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the power trips.

A lot of opportunity here

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Portage, MI

ProsThere is so much opportunity to move up with this company quickly. You also have the chance to do a lot of cool things if you do well with sales.

ConsYou have to talk to a lot of really stupid/annoying customers that think they are super cool. You barely get paid compared to similar companies like Pac Sun.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sell so much cat stuff.

1st Assistant Manager

First Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Prince William, VA

ProsYou get to wear whatever you want to work that isnt offensive of course, and the culture of the company is great! Its a very young and modern company but it does not lose the focus of being a family friendly enviroment. Greatest retail company I have ever worked for. Promotions happen consitently as long as your performance is consistent, within the first year with the company i was promoted from Seasonal Sales Associate to Part Time Sales Associate to Second Assistant and then to First Assistant, I was on my way up to becoming a Store Manager had I not taken a position with a different company.

ConsYou have to socialize with everyone and not be shy if not then this place is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your sales associates happy and your stores will thrive. Unhappy sales associates leads to lack of enthusiasm and motivation to do any work or sell at the stores. I have learned this from experience as a sales associate and also as an assistant manager.

Worked for Zumiez? Contribute to the Community!