Zumiez Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.3

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is super friendly (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 14 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Like a big family.

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up.

Cons

Low pay. Low hours also.

Keep doing you.

Chill environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate Then Assistant Manager in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Then Assistant Manager in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well their employee discount is very generous, it's fun to learn about all the new products and push yourself to meet sales goals. Making sales over $100 gets you commission was is a nice little extra in your paycheck.

Cons

Some days were really slow so goals weren't met, no benefits, they have something called an "On call shift" so any day you are one call you pretty much can't do anything fun just in case they need you to come into work last minute. Store manager can be a hit or a miss, mine was super unreasonable and tried to convince me that University was a mistake, which I clearly disagree with.

Really pick you who hire as Store managers and 1st assistants seriously. I had a horrible store manager, but I great 1st assistant manager and the only reason I was able to stick with the company as long as I did was because how awesome and supportive my 1st assistant manager was.

Great family

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere, everyone there is like family, very very laid back.

Cons

Training was a bit iffy.

Keep doing you!

A ton of pressure for little pay.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, eccentric styles encouraged. I have gotten along with 99% of the people that work there (Except Olive. Screw Olive.) Along with being able to choose the music, you can skate around in the store when it's empty, and not many jobs can say that. Out of all my past retail jobs, Zumiez was the one to educate me most on customer service (always greet customers within 10 seconds or 10 feet of entering the store). Store managers are taken care of by the company surprisingly well. If you're an experienced skater and can assemble boards make sure to mention it as it will increase your chances of being hired.

Cons

A 25% discount doesn't make a dent considering the expensive brands Zumiez carries (Diamond in particular). In addition, because you are on commission, your hours are determined by being the best at shoving product down customers throats - which is encouraged and evaluated! One of the tactics they stress is physically handing customers the product which some view as slightly abrasive. You are expected to be knowledgeable on every last product, (such as which Vans shoes have brown gum). You need to memorize the silliest things, like the C's: cut, color, cost, and care are just a few I remember off the top of my head. The last straw for me was around February when managers were instructed to give us a huge packet of such selling techniques to take home and study, and there was literally a quiz on it. A quiz at a minimum-wage job. What.

Stop the tab sheets. They're silly. And stop stressing commission so much! It creates unnecessary strife between employees that want more hours simply because someone made conversation with the right rich mother shopping for their son's birthday. Just the amount of people that quit so soon after starting should be enough of a wake up call to re-evaluate the way you run things.

Warehouse Worker

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Edwardsville, KS
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Edwardsville, KS

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy environment, repetitive work, good managers, started at 11 am and worked til 7pm m-f

Cons

Sometimes boring and work gets old fast

Nice

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Laid back job its alright at times just gotta talk alot.

Cons

Not enough hours are given.

Give more hours

Won't regret this first-job experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meet great people and grow in communication skills.

Cons

Pay is a little low.

Unique, Fun Experiences

Current Employee - Web Inventory Control in Edwardsville, KS
    Current Employee - Web Inventory Control in Edwardsville, KS

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, family-like and laid back environment, but still professional, extra bonuses and perks for employees, proud of the company and it's strides to give back to youth and community. Fun and unique events for employee recognition. An overall great place to work

Cons

demanding schedule in some departments, only a few holidays off, no holiday pay (working or non). Also, I am a bit embarrassed of the current image we put out for our target age group, with some of the graphics and images on some of the stuff we choose to sell...

Working at zumiez required you to always be on the move.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in National City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in National City, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

its a great place to work. My co workers were really cool and easy to approach and have a conversation with. A necessity for being a good employee here.

Cons

I didn't really like how we competed for sales. For example, whoever sold the most in the week gets the most hours. Makes sense, but I would have rather it been handled differently.

Try not to over hire so more sales associates can have more hours.

Fun but surprisingly challenging

Former Employee - Sales Kid in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Kid in Dublin, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Zumiez has a great atmosphere and fun co-workers. You get a small commission of your sales. 100k trip is a really neat incentive.

Cons

You are graded on quite a few metrics for your sales. Co-workers can get a bit greedy and try to steal your sales. Management is so-so.

Managers should get a pay bump and not need to get any commission so they can actually focus on their managerial duties.

Zumiez Photos