Zumiez

Updated November 30, 2014
3.3

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 16 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Upbeat and Positive Workplace

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun, Active lifestyle people, Cool merchandise, Sales experience

Cons

Low hours, Mall environment and hours,

Super fun, challenging sales environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moscow, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moscow, ID

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young fresh manangement, opportunity for growth

Cons

time commitment, many on-call shifts when starting out

Awesome and fun.

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very rewarding, you get what you put into it. You learn a lot about managing and employee interaction. Each store is adjusted to the customer base and overall traffic and volume. Your coworkers become family.

Cons

Customer service will always be hell. Dealing with people is the ultimate downfall.

Chill environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate Then Assistant Manager in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Then Assistant Manager in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well their employee discount is very generous, it's fun to learn about all the new products and push yourself to meet sales goals. Making sales over $100 gets you commission was is a nice little extra in your paycheck.

Cons

Some days were really slow so goals weren't met, no benefits, they have something called an "On call shift" so any day you are one call you pretty much can't do anything fun just in case they need you to come into work last minute. Store manager can be a hit or a miss, mine was super unreasonable and tried to convince me that University was a mistake, which I clearly disagree with.

Really pick you who hire as Store managers and 1st assistants seriously. I had a horrible store manager, but I great 1st assistant manager and the only reason I was able to stick with the company as long as I did was because how awesome and supportive my 1st assistant manager was.

Like a big family.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up.

Cons

Low pay. Low hours also.

Keep doing you.

Second assistant

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Trip benefits
    Discount is awesome

Cons

Pay stinks
    Benefits stink
    A lot of product to learn

Pay your employees more!!

Home Office Employee - Poor management in my department

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Home office employees receive 40-50% off of retail prices for all Zumiez merchandise, online or retail location. There are many "give-aways", when the buyers clean out out-dated product and employees are allowed to take home merchandise for free.
    Some of my co-workers are the best at what they do and have great energy and positive attitudes.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are some managers who still manage the "old-school" way: through intimidation and very poor communication skills. Those managers do not represent the Zumiez culture at all in my opinion. My department downstairs has a VERY high turnover, due to poor Departmental management and a very negative work environment. Also, we are quite underpaid by industry standards. About every month or so, we get an email in my department announcing that someone is "no longer employed with Zumiez". There is an overall negative atmosphere in my department, which I don't see in other departments. It is very difficult to transfer from one department to another, many employees have to leave this company just to further their career. OH, AND THERE ARE NO PAID HOLIDAYS, PERIOD. The corporate office is locked on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Independence Day, etc., AND you must take one of your vacation days to make up for the lost hours that the office was closed, or you will miss those hours off of your paycheck. This is just disrespectful to employees and a very odd corporate policy.

When you see a steady stream of employees leaving their employment at home office, take a look at how that particular department is being run, and by whom. Ask for and listen to feedback from department (non-salary) employees. Look at how other companies treat their employees (Nintendo, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.) and follow suit if you want to keep your talent. Employees are leaving Zumiez because they are underpaid, there is no room for growth, and the benefits just aren't there, Treat your employees at home office with the respect that they deserve by giving them paid holidays and earnings that meet industry standards. If your business is growing, start rewarding your employees for getting you where you are today.

Good start for 16 year olds...that's all.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Get to wear what you want, fun, and he music.

Cons

This is a baby job.. The people who try to make their careers out of it are usually high school drop outs or junkies. They NEVER budge when it comes to a pay rate. They are horrible. They act like they care about you but do not. Their so money hungry. A few years ago it was all about te customer and now it's all about te money.. But can't pay us decent.. Hmm. And the process of moving up in te company is like a life long process. Unless you are in the inner circle even they they are crooked.

Pay more, stop having favorites, and focus more on customers.

A ton of pressure for little pay.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, eccentric styles encouraged. I have gotten along with 99% of the people that work there (Except Olive. Screw Olive.) Along with being able to choose the music, you can skate around in the store when it's empty, and not many jobs can say that. Out of all my past retail jobs, Zumiez was the one to educate me most on customer service (always greet customers within 10 seconds or 10 feet of entering the store). Store managers are taken care of by the company surprisingly well. If you're an experienced skater and can assemble boards make sure to mention it as it will increase your chances of being hired.

Cons

A 25% discount doesn't make a dent considering the expensive brands Zumiez carries (Diamond in particular). In addition, because you are on commission, your hours are determined by being the best at shoving product down customers throats - which is encouraged and evaluated! One of the tactics they stress is physically handing customers the product which some view as slightly abrasive. You are expected to be knowledgeable on every last product, (such as which Vans shoes have brown gum). You need to memorize the silliest things, like the C's: cut, color, cost, and care are just a few I remember off the top of my head. The last straw for me was around February when managers were instructed to give us a huge packet of such selling techniques to take home and study, and there was literally a quiz on it. A quiz at a minimum-wage job. What.

Stop the tab sheets. They're silly. And stop stressing commission so much! It creates unnecessary strife between employees that want more hours simply because someone made conversation with the right rich mother shopping for their son's birthday. Just the amount of people that quit so soon after starting should be enough of a wake up call to re-evaluate the way you run things.

Great family

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere, everyone there is like family, very very laid back.

Cons

Training was a bit iffy.

Keep doing you!