Zumiez

Updated January 24, 2015
3.3

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 16 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

They take advantage of kids, unrealistic sales goals, big turnover of employees, low pay.

I worked at Zumiez

Pros

Music, cool environment, a place for kids to learn where not to work and why.

Cons

Low pay, unrealistic sales goals, employee dissension over hours, low hours, completely disorganized, managers have poor experience, errors in paycheck, they pay you with a debit credit card, they take advantage of kids.

Better management training, much better new employee training, realistic sales goals, more hours for employees, more HR and employee development. Make employees the number one resource.

Fun, but stressful and low pay

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Great culture. Lots of great company events, and co-workers are smart, fun, and enthusiastic.

Cons

Extremely low pay and extremely high stress.

Instead of investing so much money on company events, shift that money to salaries.

Overworked, Underpaid and Under-appreciated. Worst place to work ever.

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Store teams have it great. Home office? There are no pros, other than occasional free stuff. They will go on and on and ON about how honored and privileged you should be to work for them, how amazing they are. They will pump loads of BS into your veins. The only people who benefit from working here are those that were there when they went public and made money off the stocks they inherited. Those are the only employees they manage to keep.

Cons

I was warned by several people before accepting a job here. It seems everyone knows someone who has worked in the home office and had the same terrible experiences. I'm the type of person that 1. can make my own opinions based off my own experiences and 2. loves a challenge and loves to work hard and beat the odds. The more people warned me of Zumiez "Sink or swim" mentality, the more I wanted to accept the challenge. Let's just say, I hate to admit that I should have listened to the advice I was given and should never have accepted a job here. This was truly the most miserable job and company. Zero work-life balance, terrible management, the list is endless. This company could care less about you, your capabilities, your career, nothing. In fact, they will belittle you, discourage you, and treat you awful to insure that you don't succeed. Have a good idea? Share it and you will receive no credit for it and you'll likely be told how worthless you are as a human being. They'll probably write you up for speaking, because how dare you have an idea. And then your boss will scolded you for doing something great, - totally a healthy work environment right? One job here is comparable to about 12 positions anywhere else in this field, yet you'll be making 1/12 the salary. Think you're going to gain loads of experience here? Think again. Their expectations are unrealistic and ridiculous. “Sink or swim” they’ll say, more like they’ll hold your head under the water until you drown. And that’s an understatement. EVERYTHING is the END of the world. Yes, youth apparel is clearly the end of the world. You should spend every waking minute living and breathing cheap retail, because if you don’t, the world will end. This company is a joke and needs to get their priorities and ego’s straight. The people that manage this company are egotistical spoiled children that have yet to grow up and love themselves far too much.

There is a reason your turn over rate is so terrible. Check your egos at the door. Try learning a thing or two about how to encourage your employees instead of making them hate their job. Life is too short to be that miserable.

Terrible

I worked at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool environment, went by quickly, commission was easy to get, great wxperience

Cons

Sexist GM. Illegal personal relationships with GM and ASM. Run terribly

Look into complaints that were filed, every worker should be important

A poor experience with no work hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros other than the laid back atmosphere if you can consider that a pro.

Cons

I was hired for a seasonal part-time job over the Summer at Zumiez. I was employed for two months before I had to leave for college. Each weekend I would call in and ask for my hours. Every week I had two or three on-call shifts where I called in an hour before each shift and they would tell me to come in or not. The problem was that they never had me come in. An apologetic co-worker told me that they thought they would be busier that season and there was nothing they could do. The manager didn't seem to care. I was never trained and I wasted two months where I could have easily made money doing just about any other job. The workers were all completely unenthusiastic and they didn't seem to care about anything.

Don't hire employees if you don't plan on letting them work. The entire atmosphere in the store is dead and it's because the workers act like zombies.

Unprofessional management, no training

Former Employee - Sales Kid in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Kid in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has the potential to be a good job if you actually are trained on what you're supposed to do

Cons

I didn't get my first training packet until 3 months before I stopped working there. I wasn't fired, and I didn't quit, I just stopped getting scheduled.

Consider enforcing training regiments so people know what to do other than "sell, maintain, and cover"

the worst company I've ever worked for

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

there is nothing positive about them

Cons

terrible company who does not value their employees whatsoever

Not worth the time

Current Employee - Sales Person in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, relaxed atmosphere, the people

Cons

No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly

Teach your store managers how to train their employees. Also stop putting so much emphasis on pressuring and nagging customers into buying more than they want, and stop making everyone shove iPods at the customers and tell them to sign up for the rewards program.

Unpleasant Experince

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Whitby, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Whitby, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of Zumiez was the people and the discounts. It was fun to get too work with cool people who party often and don't care about much else. that is far from my regular crowd so it was cool to get to hang out with people who would often show up for work unsober... As for the environment work is done when managers are present and when they are not it was pretty chill. The discount was awesome and saved me a ton of money on the clothes I would have bought weather I worked there or not.

Cons

The bottom line is you have to have a very snakey personality to work here. the hourly balances were high and to reach them you have to value your rank on the SPC more than your friendships. It is minimum wage for a job that requires a lot of work, stress and effort. For a small store it takes a lot of matenince and still somehow constantly looks messy. The company itself was a little shady-at least my store. I once found $150 on the ground of the store and did the human thing and turned it in thinking my manager would value my honesty, someone might get their lost money back and for the simple reason of having a moral values; my manager pocketed the money and claimed he was going to use it for staff bonding activities such a bowling, which never occurred. Over all I found management under-professional. There is almost no training program which makes it hard for new workers to be successful. The sales goals are insane, Scheduling is absolutely terrible; you cannot make plans a week in advanced because you only get the schedule for the next week a day before the week starts, managers do not use availability forms, overall just not worth your time.

Make it less intense! Respect your workers, use the availability sheets, organize staff activities, be understanding and build relationships!

Shady Company Whom doesn't respect Employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Newmarket, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Newmarket, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick advancements, Alright Payment, Nice people at store level. Immediate superiors were nice and helpful. Sales associates always listened to delegating.

Cons

Under compensated for duties responsible. Did not take time to learn importance of top sales performers. Laid off entire stores due to the company's failure to make sales expectations (Not store employees fault). Should have understood there was a slump in sales due to the particular product, kept sending useless product and over-stocked amounts of certain brands that did not sell. Blamed employees on the sell-through. Forcefully attempts to move employees around like pawns to meet their need of vacancies. Lies and gives false hope to employees and management. Proof to back up their lies could not be presented. In fact entails they are lying scum. Head of company is disrespectful and doesn't know when to hold his breathe (Campion not Brooks). Overall, HORRIBLE job for anyone considering a career choice.

To District Managers whom believe they know it all without having any knowledge of the situation: Realize you've made mistakes in the past and will continue to do so in the future. When you were laying me off, you told me you terminated an employee when he was at his lowest of low. He was living out of his car and needed the proper guidance to excel in this particular career. Instead of helping him and giving him this proper guidance, you fired that individual. That same patron basically had to beg for his job back. Once you did hire him back, he was proven to be your #1 Sales Associate of all time... Ring a bell? I believe if you are able to make such an idiotic mistake over terminating such a valuable employee instead of helping him through his troubles, you must be making much more ridiculous decisions on your road to "success". Have a head and think before you follow your corporate book. You may have proven success in the past, but surely you will not prevail in the coming years with this attitude. By the way, your current management is below par in many ways at the location I used to be employed at. It's honestly a joke and apparently they still get asked where the old staff is... Wonder why?

Zumiez Photos