Zumiez Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.2

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • At work the environment is laid back and relationship with management is very open (in 10 reviews)

• You can wear pretty much whatever you want and listen to your own iPod during the day (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 14 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible

I worked at Zumiez part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool environment, went by quickly, commission was easy to get, great wxperience

Cons

Sexist GM. Illegal personal relationships with GM and ASM. Run terribly

Look into complaints that were filed, every worker should be important

A poor experience with no work hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros other than the laid back atmosphere if you can consider that a pro.

Cons

I was hired for a seasonal part-time job over the Summer at Zumiez. I was employed for two months before I had to leave for college. Each weekend I would call in and ask for my hours. Every week I had two or three on-call shifts where I called in an hour before each shift and they would tell me to come in or not. The problem was that they never had me come in. An apologetic co-worker told me that they thought they would be busier that season and there was nothing they could do. The manager didn't seem to care. I was never trained and I wasted two months where I could have easily made money doing just about any other job. The workers were all completely unenthusiastic and they didn't seem to care about anything.

Don't hire employees if you don't plan on letting them work. The entire atmosphere in the store is dead and it's because the workers act like zombies.

Unprofessional management, no training

Former Employee - Sales Kid  in  Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Kid in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time for more than a year

Pros

Has the potential to be a good job if you actually are trained on what you're supposed to do

Cons

I didn't get my first training packet until 3 months before I stopped working there. I wasn't fired, and I didn't quit, I just stopped getting scheduled.

Consider enforcing training regiments so people know what to do other than "sell, maintain, and cover"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the worst company I've ever worked for

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

there is nothing positive about them

Cons

terrible company who does not value their employees whatsoever

Not worth the time

Current Employee - Sales Person  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Zumiez part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, relaxed atmosphere, the people

Cons

No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly

Teach your store managers how to train their employees. Also stop putting so much emphasis on pressuring and nagging customers into buying more than they want, and stop making everyone shove iPods at the customers and tell them to sign up for the rewards program.

Unpleasant Experince

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Whitby, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Whitby, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Zumiez full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part of Zumiez was the people and the discounts. It was fun to get too work with cool people who party often and don't care about much else. that is far from my regular crowd so it was cool to get to hang out with people who would often show up for work unsober... As for the environment work is done when managers are present and when they are not it was pretty chill. The discount was awesome and saved me a ton of money on the clothes I would have bought weather I worked there or not.

Cons

The bottom line is you have to have a very snakey personality to work here. the hourly balances were high and to reach them you have to value your rank on the SPC more than your friendships. It is minimum wage for a job that requires a lot of work, stress and effort. For a small store it takes a lot of matenince and still somehow constantly looks messy. The company itself was a little shady-at least my store. I once found $150 on the ground of the store and did the human thing and turned it in thinking my manager would value my honesty, someone might get their lost money back and for the simple reason of having a moral values; my manager pocketed the money and claimed he was going to use it for staff bonding activities such a bowling, which never occurred. Over all I found management under-professional. There is almost no training program which makes it hard for new workers to be successful. The sales goals are insane, Scheduling is absolutely terrible; you cannot make plans a week in advanced because you only get the schedule for the next week a day before the week starts, managers do not use availability forms, overall just not worth your time.

Make it less intense! Respect your workers, use the availability sheets, organize staff activities, be understanding and build relationships!

Shady Company Whom doesn't respect Employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Newmarket, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Newmarket, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zumiez full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick advancements, Alright Payment, Nice people at store level. Immediate superiors were nice and helpful. Sales associates always listened to delegating.

Cons

Under compensated for duties responsible. Did not take time to learn importance of top sales performers. Laid off entire stores due to the company's failure to make sales expectations (Not store employees fault). Should have understood there was a slump in sales due to the particular product, kept sending useless product and over-stocked amounts of certain brands that did not sell. Blamed employees on the sell-through. Forcefully attempts to move employees around like pawns to meet their need of vacancies. Lies and gives false hope to employees and management. Proof to back up their lies could not be presented. In fact entails they are lying scum. Head of company is disrespectful and doesn't know when to hold his breathe (Campion not Brooks). Overall, HORRIBLE job for anyone considering a career choice.

To District Managers whom believe they know it all without having any knowledge of the situation: Realize you've made mistakes in the past and will continue to do so in the future. When you were laying me off, you told me you terminated an employee when he was at his lowest of low. He was living out of his car and needed the proper guidance to excel in this particular career. Instead of helping him and giving him this proper guidance, you fired that individual. That same patron basically had to beg for his job back. Once you did hire him back, he was proven to be your #1 Sales Associate of all time... Ring a bell? I believe if you are able to make such an idiotic mistake over terminating such a valuable employee instead of helping him through his troubles, you must be making much more ridiculous decisions on your road to "success". Have a head and think before you follow your corporate book. You may have proven success in the past, but surely you will not prevail in the coming years with this attitude. By the way, your current management is below par in many ways at the location I used to be employed at. It's honestly a joke and apparently they still get asked where the old staff is... Wonder why?

Horrible to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Zumiez part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good for a summer job but not recommended for a long term job

Cons

There was no communication between upper and lower management, so nobody ever knew what was going on. Even the discounts sucked. Their system for commission 'motivation' is a complete fluke and they don't hold their managers to a standard at all. They act entitled and can't be bothered with "lesser work". Pitiful.

Care more about the diversity of your employees and work in your communication skills

Sales associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers are always fun to work with

Cons

Very few hours, they hire new "sales kids" all the time, and no room to grow if you're not a favorite.

Grow up

It was horrible.

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Zumiez part-time for more than a year

Pros

You could network at the right locations, but those are few and far between.

Cons

Low pay, bad benefits, and no sense of accountability.

Spend more time on your in-store management (training, development, etc.). More corporate exposure shows you actually care about the people that are making your salary.

Worked for Zumiez? Contribute to the Community!