Zumiez Reviews

205 reviews filtered by
3.3
Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 16 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

1. love company, unfortunately experience is different based on what region you work in

Former Employee - Retail Management in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Management in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great discounts -up to 50% off based on performance
    base plus commission- make more then the people that don't work
    fun atmosphere and great team dynamic
    top 1000 employees flown to a big party in Keystone, CO annually
    easy to advance if you're willing to do your job and relocate

Cons

low pay (14.00 for a store manager)
    targeted at young 20-somethings who still live with mom or dad or 8 roomates
    some managers don't take any responsibility- pass it on to everyone else (do as i say not as i do) like i said, not all are like this
    unrealistic goals (if the store overall isn't making numbers you can lose your job even if you are performing about company given personal sales expectations)

treat everyone fairly (it's not high school, it's a job)
    give realistic goals (ie. company goal ios 175 dollars/hour, yours is 360/hr) realistic, right?
    some district sales managers need to get to all store in district- should have more then 2 visits in a 1 year period

2. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the workplace but pay was just not enough to sustain a healthy and adventurous lifestyle.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

50% off selected clothing, amazing atmosphere, networking with fellow likeminded people,

Cons

not much area for growth, ridiculous goals each day, district managers are usually strict and uptight, minimum wage, low commission percentages

put yourself in a sales kids shoes

3. Fun but Underpaid

Current Employee - Second Assistant
    Current Employee - Second Assistant

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Laid back, fun, competition between staff, sales driven, commision.

Cons

Low pay, bad hours, very important to train lower level staff to perform above expectaion yet continuously hire externally

Pay me more and I would make this place my career

5. The company is a great place to work for with training, recognition, and incentives for their employees.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provided training, great incentives, product adaptability, and people with a well driven passion.

Cons

Salary, favoritism, lack of professionalism, and problem solving.

6. Way too much drama.

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pro for zumiez is the events you could possibly work and getting to meet with vendors and pros.

Cons

Most store managers are crooks and will do anything to shift the blame onto the people under them.

reevaluate who you put in charge of your stores. you are only cheating yourselves.

7. A company that over promises and under compensates.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Newport News, VA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment and good peers

Cons

Bad pay, stressful work load, you aren't off even when you are off. If you aren't the in crowd you're the out crowd.

Stop acting like the company world is the employees oyster to every single employee when you know that they aren't cut out for the position they want just so you can get them to pull more work.

8. Lack of integrity and regard for female employees

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Cool environment and merchandise.

Cons

Upper management did not care about the way that employees were treated. The z-line is not a secure and anonymous way to report anything (my identity and issue was told to my superior)
    HR never responded to my requests for someone to call and speak to me about a very important issue.
    The women in my store were treated terribly and given horrible hours, preference was shown towards the male employees.
    Theft is unavoidable because the sensors are not real, yet we were held responsible for losses...

9. It's average at best at management level

Former Employee - Management in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Management in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cool clothes
    Decent pay
    Potential bonuses are cool
    Trips are decent
    When there is a steadier market this will be a great place to work

Cons

Theft is all on you no matter what. There is no good system or support for stopping this from happening and its weighed against your sales. Also sales are solely on you. There is far too aggressive sales goals for the locations per year while trying to create a market. The overall support from the head office is weak as they don't invest in advertising or more definitive marketing for the locations and it costs sales big time. Combined with the theft issue it can be very difficult to make money and train employee and inspire them and merchandise and schedule... You get the picture. Also hard to keep employees interested when incentives are not valued at store level because they are compared to other locations which have completely different markets. Just too many variable based on the staff. They'll continue to succeed through exploiting hard work from you and then when an expectation is not met, you will lose your ground despite surpassing expectation in all other areas.

I think there needs to be more accountable measurements for management and employees using realistic goals and standards for an emerging company in a new market. The depth building is great, but sometimes a little faith and time commitment while listening to those under you at store level can take you a long way. Store level knows what will sell and what will work to help, and you need to work with that to increase productivity. You can't expect an emerging market to succeed uniformly and set expectations to the same level as other established locations. It leads to assumptions from numbers that cost you great employees or effects the morale of the staff.

10. View as a sales associate.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Zumiez

Pros

-great people.
    -great place to get sales experience
    -great discount
    -commission earned for certain sales.

Cons

-low hours
    -tons of call an hour before your shift to see if needed shift.
    -low pay
    -hours based on sales performance.

Would of had a better experience if I actually got to learn how to do everything such as putting together a skateboard with almost working there for about a year. Also wish moving up in the company wasn't based on favorites being played or so it seemed like.

11. Awesome Experience!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed having the responsibility of owning my results and build a team to succeed and learn in this culture.

Cons

Stressful at times, but so is everything else. Better compensation would've been nicer.

Zumiez Photos