Zumiez Reviews

212 reviews filtered by
3.3
Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 16 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

1. Not enough pay for the amount of work I do

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

relaxed environment, fun people, good customer service experience

Cons

low pay, few hours, no room for advancement, people steal sales, sales need to be too aggressive

Advice to Management

Employees cannot expect to sell something to every single person that walks into the store.

2. Manager

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Medford, OR

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

100k celebration and awesome culture High energy and great people

Cons

Lost that skate shop feel. Nepotism in districts. Managers can be a little scketchy

Advice to Management

Bring back that it's cool to be a skater feeling instead it's cool to be a skater in the 80s

3. Not a bad retail experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

pay raise, good hours, laid back environment, sales commission

Cons

apathetic co-workers, most employees do not receive raises

5. Zumiez is a great company to work for and a very laid back relaxing work environment.

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

The networking opportunities and growth

Cons

There really isn't any Cons of working in Zumies other than it just being retail .

Advice to Management

Train as fast as you can, build depth and get that next opening store manager spot

6. they take their corporate policies WAY too seriously

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have good coworkers, it makes working tons of fun. Really depends on the vibe of the store you work at. Some Zumiez are laid back and aren't so anal about following the stupid corporate "bother-every-single-customer" policy. You also get to learn cool stuff, like how to build a skateboard.

Cons

corporate policies. They have a really big "establish a relationship with the customer!!!!!" policy that they try to shove down everyone's throat. This means you basically are encouraged to bug the CRAP out of every customer, especially if you work in one in a bigger city.

My story: I worked at a Zumiez in a smaller city in CT where the mgmt was laid back and while they followed the corporate policy, they understood the difference between helping out customers vs shoving products down their throat. Every employee always met their sales goals, usually going above and beyond too. I got really good at going well above my sales goal and got promoted within 4 months. I had awesome coworkers and the store had a great vibe, I loved my job.

Then I moved to TN and transferred to the Nashville store. The Nashville store took the corporate policies WAY too seriously to the point that it made the job a living hell hole. The management didn't take into consideration that I was a COLLEGE student and that my education came before this part-time minimum wage job. They wanted me to treat it like a career - HA.They also treated the store like it was a war-zone, like anything could go wrong at any minute. They took the job WAY to seriously and got really emotional and lost their temper if we had bad sales. Just a weird, bad environment.

The crazy/mean/up-and-down attitudes of the management made all the other employees give off this really sad "I've given up" vibe. I quit the Nashville store after a month.

Advice to Management

For the higher ups - revise your corporate policy. you must understand that you're training employees to annoy the crap out of your customers. it's awkward and weird for customers. I have friends who shop at Zumiez (several different locations) who can back me up on this.

For individual stores, remember to try to make the job fun for your sales associates. Also, don't treat sales like it's do-or-die, you're GOING to have slow days, it just happens.

7. The worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can wear what you want. Bosses are accepting . I don't have 20 positives words for Zumiez

Cons

Under paid
    Inappropriate comments from higher ups
    Lack of training and accountability
    Cut throats sales tactics
    Bosses literally will steal your sales in front of you and then tell you, you need to do better.
    You are expected to execute projects and jobs you have not been trained on and you will get in trouble.
    Higher a ups tend to be unorganized immature and unintelligent. Customers for the most part hate us because of how pushy we are.

Advice to Management

Train people, pay people better, just shut down the company to be honest everyone hates us.

8. love company, unfortunately experience is different based on what region you work in

Former Employee - Retail Management in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Management in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great discounts -up to 50% off based on performance
    base plus commission- make more then the people that don't work
    fun atmosphere and great team dynamic
    top 1000 employees flown to a big party in Keystone, CO annually
    easy to advance if you're willing to do your job and relocate

Cons

low pay (14.00 for a store manager)
    targeted at young 20-somethings who still live with mom or dad or 8 roomates
    some managers don't take any responsibility- pass it on to everyone else (do as i say not as i do) like i said, not all are like this
    unrealistic goals (if the store overall isn't making numbers you can lose your job even if you are performing about company given personal sales expectations)

Advice to Management

treat everyone fairly (it's not high school, it's a job)
    give realistic goals (ie. company goal ios 175 dollars/hour, yours is 360/hr) realistic, right?
    some district sales managers need to get to all store in district- should have more then 2 visits in a 1 year period

9. Awesome company for recognition

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Zumiez prides themselves on recognizing their employees and moving them along fairly quickly in their careers. They take special time to try to train their employees on how to be successful.

Cons

They dont really keep up with the going pay rate for other jobs. The pay is very poor in comparison to other companies. Furthermore, They require a lot from you and ask that you do

10. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the workplace but pay was just not enough to sustain a healthy and adventurous lifestyle.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% off selected clothing, amazing atmosphere, networking with fellow likeminded people,

Cons

not much area for growth, ridiculous goals each day, district managers are usually strict and uptight, minimum wage, low commission percentages

Advice to Management

put yourself in a sales kids shoes

11. Fun but Underpaid

Current Employee - Second Assistant
    Current Employee - Second Assistant

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Laid back, fun, competition between staff, sales driven, commision.

Cons

Low pay, bad hours, very important to train lower level staff to perform above expectaion yet continuously hire externally

Advice to Management

Pay me more and I would make this place my career

Zumiez Photos