Zumiez

Updated November 30, 2014
3.3

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 16 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Upbeat and Positive Workplace

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun, Active lifestyle people, Cool merchandise, Sales experience

Cons

Low hours, Mall environment and hours,

Super fun, challenging sales environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moscow, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moscow, ID

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young fresh manangement, opportunity for growth

Cons

time commitment, many on-call shifts when starting out

Second assistant

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Trip benefits
    Discount is awesome

Cons

Pay stinks
    Benefits stink
    A lot of product to learn

Pay your employees more!!

Fun, but stressful and low pay

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Great culture. Lots of great company events, and co-workers are smart, fun, and enthusiastic.

Cons

Extremely low pay and extremely high stress.

Instead of investing so much money on company events, shift that money to salaries.

Awesome and fun.

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very rewarding, you get what you put into it. You learn a lot about managing and employee interaction. Each store is adjusted to the customer base and overall traffic and volume. Your coworkers become family.

Cons

Customer service will always be hell. Dealing with people is the ultimate downfall.

Home Office Employee - Poor management in my department

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Home office employees receive 40-50% off of retail prices for all Zumiez merchandise, online or retail location. There are many "give-aways", when the buyers clean out out-dated product and employees are allowed to take home merchandise for free.
    Some of my co-workers are the best at what they do and have great energy and positive attitudes.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are some managers who still manage the "old-school" way: through intimidation and very poor communication skills. Those managers do not represent the Zumiez culture at all in my opinion. My department downstairs has a VERY high turnover, due to poor Departmental management and a very negative work environment. Also, we are quite underpaid by industry standards. About every month or so, we get an email in my department announcing that someone is "no longer employed with Zumiez". There is an overall negative atmosphere in my department, which I don't see in other departments. It is very difficult to transfer from one department to another, many employees have to leave this company just to further their career. OH, AND THERE ARE NO PAID HOLIDAYS, PERIOD. The corporate office is locked on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Independence Day, etc., AND you must take one of your vacation days to make up for the lost hours that the office was closed, or you will miss those hours off of your paycheck. This is just disrespectful to employees and a very odd corporate policy.

When you see a steady stream of employees leaving their employment at home office, take a look at how that particular department is being run, and by whom. Ask for and listen to feedback from department (non-salary) employees. Look at how other companies treat their employees (Nintendo, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.) and follow suit if you want to keep your talent. Employees are leaving Zumiez because they are underpaid, there is no room for growth, and the benefits just aren't there, Treat your employees at home office with the respect that they deserve by giving them paid holidays and earnings that meet industry standards. If your business is growing, start rewarding your employees for getting you where you are today.

Good start for 16 year olds...that's all.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Get to wear what you want, fun, and he music.

Cons

This is a baby job.. The people who try to make their careers out of it are usually high school drop outs or junkies. They NEVER budge when it comes to a pay rate. They are horrible. They act like they care about you but do not. Their so money hungry. A few years ago it was all about te customer and now it's all about te money.. But can't pay us decent.. Hmm. And the process of moving up in te company is like a life long process. Unless you are in the inner circle even they they are crooked.

Pay more, stop having favorites, and focus more on customers.

Like a big family.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up.

Cons

Low pay. Low hours also.

Keep doing you.

You must be a people person to do well

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to see all the new product, talk with people who share common interests with you, opportunities to move up in the company (at the store level that is), increase social skills, feel like your store is part of a team.

Cons

Sales quotas, low(er) pay, on your feet for whole shift, sales competition between employees, work a lot of weekends, constant folding and organizing product.

Good job building depth.

Overworked, Underpaid and Under-appreciated. Worst place to work ever.

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Store teams have it great. Home office? There are no pros, other than occasional free stuff. They will go on and on and ON about how honored and privileged you should be to work for them, how amazing they are. They will pump loads of BS into your veins. The only people who benefit from working here are those that were there when they went public and made money off the stocks they inherited. Those are the only employees they manage to keep.

Cons

I was warned by several people before accepting a job here. It seems everyone knows someone who has worked in the home office and had the same terrible experiences. I'm the type of person that 1. can make my own opinions based off my own experiences and 2. loves a challenge and loves to work hard and beat the odds. The more people warned me of Zumiez "Sink or swim" mentality, the more I wanted to accept the challenge. Let's just say, I hate to admit that I should have listened to the advice I was given and should never have accepted a job here. This was truly the most miserable job and company. Zero work-life balance, terrible management, the list is endless. This company could care less about you, your capabilities, your career, nothing. In fact, they will belittle you, discourage you, and treat you awful to insure that you don't succeed. Have a good idea? Share it and you will receive no credit for it and you'll likely be told how worthless you are as a human being. They'll probably write you up for speaking, because how dare you have an idea. And then your boss will scolded you for doing something great, - totally a healthy work environment right? One job here is comparable to about 12 positions anywhere else in this field, yet you'll be making 1/12 the salary. Think you're going to gain loads of experience here? Think again. Their expectations are unrealistic and ridiculous. “Sink or swim” they’ll say, more like they’ll hold your head under the water until you drown. And that’s an understatement. EVERYTHING is the END of the world. Yes, youth apparel is clearly the end of the world. You should spend every waking minute living and breathing cheap retail, because if you don’t, the world will end. This company is a joke and needs to get their priorities and ego’s straight. The people that manage this company are egotistical spoiled children that have yet to grow up and love themselves far too much.

There is a reason your turn over rate is so terrible. Check your egos at the door. Try learning a thing or two about how to encourage your employees instead of making them hate their job. Life is too short to be that miserable.

Zumiez Photos