Zumiez

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is super friendly (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 14 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at zumiez required you to always be on the move.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in National City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in National City, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

its a great place to work. My co workers were really cool and easy to approach and have a conversation with. A necessity for being a good employee here.

Cons

I didn't really like how we competed for sales. For example, whoever sold the most in the week gets the most hours. Makes sense, but I would have rather it been handled differently.

Try not to over hire so more sales associates can have more hours.

A ton of pressure for little pay.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, eccentric styles encouraged. I have gotten along with 99% of the people that work there (Except Olive. Screw Olive.) Along with being able to choose the music, you can skate around in the store when it's empty, and not many jobs can say that. Out of all my past retail jobs, Zumiez was the one to educate me most on customer service (always greet customers within 10 seconds or 10 feet of entering the store). Store managers are taken care of by the company surprisingly well. If you're an experienced skater and can assemble boards make sure to mention it as it will increase your chances of being hired.

Cons

A 25% discount doesn't make a dent considering the expensive brands Zumiez carries (Diamond in particular). In addition, because you are on commission, your hours are determined by being the best at shoving product down customers throats - which is encouraged and evaluated! One of the tactics they stress is physically handing customers the product which some view as slightly abrasive. You are expected to be knowledgeable on every last product, (such as which Vans shoes have brown gum). You need to memorize the silliest things, like the C's: cut, color, cost, and care are just a few I remember off the top of my head. The last straw for me was around February when managers were instructed to give us a huge packet of such selling techniques to take home and study, and there was literally a quiz on it. A quiz at a minimum-wage job. What.

Stop the tab sheets. They're silly. And stop stressing commission so much! It creates unnecessary strife between employees that want more hours simply because someone made conversation with the right rich mother shopping for their son's birthday. Just the amount of people that quit so soon after starting should be enough of a wake up call to re-evaluate the way you run things.

Overworked, Underpaid and Under-appreciated. Worst place to work ever.

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Store teams have it great. Home office? There are no pros, other than occasional free stuff. They will go on and on and ON about how honored and privileged you should be to work for them, how amazing they are. They will pump loads of BS into your veins. The only people who benefit from working here are those that were there when they went public and made money off the stocks they inherited. Those are the only employees they manage to keep.

Cons

I was warned by several people before accepting a job here. It seems everyone knows someone who has worked in the home office and had the same terrible experiences. I'm the type of person that 1. can make my own opinions based off my own experiences and 2. loves a challenge and loves to work hard and beat the odds. The more people warned me of Zumiez "Sink or swim" mentality, the more I wanted to accept the challenge. Let's just say, I hate to admit that I should have listened to the advice I was given and should never have accepted a job here. This was truly the most miserable job and company. Zero work-life balance, terrible management, the list is endless. This company could care less about you, your capabilities, your career, nothing. In fact, they will belittle you, discourage you, and treat you awful to insure that you don't succeed. Have a good idea? Share it and you will receive no credit for it and you'll likely be told how worthless you are as a human being. They'll probably write you up for speaking, because how dare you have an idea. And then your boss will scolded you for doing something great, - totally a healthy work environment right? One job here is comparable to about 12 positions anywhere else in this field, yet you'll be making 1/12 the salary. Think you're going to gain loads of experience here? Think again. Their expectations are unrealistic and ridiculous. “Sink or swim” they’ll say, more like they’ll hold your head under the water until you drown. And that’s an understatement. EVERYTHING is the END of the world. Yes, youth apparel is clearly the end of the world. You should spend every waking minute living and breathing cheap retail, because if you don’t, the world will end. This company is a joke and needs to get their priorities and ego’s straight. The people that manage this company are egotistical spoiled children that have yet to grow up and love themselves far too much.

There is a reason your turn over rate is so terrible. Check your egos at the door. Try learning a thing or two about how to encourage your employees instead of making them hate their job. Life is too short to be that miserable.

Warehouse Worker

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Edwardsville, KS
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Edwardsville, KS

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy environment, repetitive work, good managers, started at 11 am and worked til 7pm m-f

Cons

Sometimes boring and work gets old fast

Nice

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Laid back job its alright at times just gotta talk alot.

Cons

Not enough hours are given.

Give more hours

Fun at first, then quickly turns rotten.

Former Employee - First Assistant
    Former Employee - First Assistant

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment
    Competitive
    Nice perks and discount for upper management

Cons

Personal growth is limited to the managers who will actually train you
    Sometimes the competitiveness turns sour and turns employees onto each other to get a big sale or to not be below "Joe Average"
    Too much work for the amount of pay you get
    Sloppy means of management

Keep the seven steps and skills, ditch the management style and outsourcing in order to fill management roles. Promote from within, keep life long employees.

Unique, Fun Experiences

Current Employee - Web Inventory Control in Edwardsville, KS
    Current Employee - Web Inventory Control in Edwardsville, KS

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, family-like and laid back environment, but still professional, extra bonuses and perks for employees, proud of the company and it's strides to give back to youth and community. Fun and unique events for employee recognition. An overall great place to work

Cons

demanding schedule in some departments, only a few holidays off, no holiday pay (working or non). Also, I am a bit embarrassed of the current image we put out for our target age group, with some of the graphics and images on some of the stuff we choose to sell...

Fun but surprisingly challenging

Former Employee - Sales Kid in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Kid in Dublin, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Zumiez has a great atmosphere and fun co-workers. You get a small commission of your sales. 100k trip is a really neat incentive.

Cons

You are graded on quite a few metrics for your sales. Co-workers can get a bit greedy and try to steal your sales. Management is so-so.

Managers should get a pay bump and not need to get any commission so they can actually focus on their managerial duties.

ZUMIEZ is a bitter sweet place to work

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-first off, 100K!!!! if you sell certain amount of merchandise, you get invited to a company event called 100k and its a full expensed trip, zumiez flys you to a snowboardinging resort, and you get to party and snowboard with celebrities and all the pros in the skate industry!
    -Work environment is super friendly
    -No dress code
    -Laid back job
    -Flexible hours

Cons

-Pay, hours, holiday, training, discounts

none

Great starting out company. Builds a strong work Ethic

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Zumiez full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you work hard they will work just as hard ro help you succeed. Plus free trips are an insentive. The upper management works with you to help you to become your best. They are also always giving you training to help you as well. They will also help you to advance in your career. I was helped out with an internship with them as well

Cons

The pay is pretty low comparitive to other companies. Sometimes the hours can become pretty rough if you do not have a solid sales team to work with.

Zumiez Photos