Zumiez Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
3.2

Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Pros
  • Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff (in 13 reviews)

• Work environment is super friendly (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Mall hours and low pay in comparison to other retailers (in 14 reviews)

• No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It was fine, but also annoying

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I worked at Zumiez part-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back atmosphere
    No uniform
    You got commission, even though the rate was kind-of low, you could make lots of money off big sales.
    My fellow employees were very kind. Especially my first manager.

Cons

Low amount of hours
    Very stingy on sales goals
    Customer interaction felt extremely forced. Even if a customer didn't want to be bothered you were encouraged to talk to them.

Stop shoving STASH down everyone's throat.

Low pay, Highly Competitive

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager  in  Eureka, CA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Eureka, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Commission structure, lots of available tools for success, casual work environment, great discount.

Cons

Overly competitive, Lack of structure in training for new employees, very unprofessional work environment at times.

Be more professional!! Also the pay for assistant managers and store managers is very low compared to that of similar companies.

Disorganized and unfair

I worked at Zumiez

Pros

commission and a friendly environment

Cons

lack of commitment and ability to move up. terrible hours and they take advantage of you severely as a manager

give people more opportunity to move up and someone to talk to to resolve problems late at night when performing store closing procedure

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company if you're in the right district

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager

I worked at Zumiez full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed and fun environment! get treated with cool trips and prizes plus good discounts. Generally good co workers.

Cons

Sales kids generally get screwed.... personally don't think the job is worth it unless you need a very minimal seasonal job or get management. We weren't generally suppose to fire people... just not schedule them. Some unethical things going on with the company. Though if you're at least management you'll get treated better.

Stop with the power trips.

A lot of opportunity here

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager  in  Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Portage, MI

I have been working at Zumiez full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is so much opportunity to move up with this company quickly. You also have the chance to do a lot of cool things if you do well with sales.

Cons

You have to talk to a lot of really stupid/annoying customers that think they are super cool. You barely get paid compared to similar companies like Pac Sun.

Don't sell so much cat stuff.

1st Assistant Manager

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager  in  Prince William, VA
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Prince William, VA

I worked at Zumiez full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to wear whatever you want to work that isnt offensive of course, and the culture of the company is great! Its a very young and modern company but it does not lose the focus of being a family friendly enviroment. Greatest retail company I have ever worked for. Promotions happen consitently as long as your performance is consistent, within the first year with the company i was promoted from Seasonal Sales Associate to Part Time Sales Associate to Second Assistant and then to First Assistant, I was on my way up to becoming a Store Manager had I not taken a position with a different company.

Cons

You have to socialize with everyone and not be shy if not then this place is not for you.

Keep your sales associates happy and your stores will thrive. Unhappy sales associates leads to lack of enthusiasm and motivation to do any work or sell at the stores. I have learned this from experience as a sales associate and also as an assistant manager.

A poor experience with no work hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros other than the laid back atmosphere if you can consider that a pro.

Cons

I was hired for a seasonal part-time job over the Summer at Zumiez. I was employed for two months before I had to leave for college. Each weekend I would call in and ask for my hours. Every week I had two or three on-call shifts where I called in an hour before each shift and they would tell me to come in or not. The problem was that they never had me come in. An apologetic co-worker told me that they thought they would be busier that season and there was nothing they could do. The manager didn't seem to care. I was never trained and I wasted two months where I could have easily made money doing just about any other job. The workers were all completely unenthusiastic and they didn't seem to care about anything.

Don't hire employees if you don't plan on letting them work. The entire atmosphere in the store is dead and it's because the workers act like zombies.

Unprofessional management, no training

Former Employee - Sales Kid  in  Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Kid in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time for more than a year

Pros

Has the potential to be a good job if you actually are trained on what you're supposed to do

Cons

I didn't get my first training packet until 3 months before I stopped working there. I wasn't fired, and I didn't quit, I just stopped getting scheduled.

Consider enforcing training regiments so people know what to do other than "sell, maintain, and cover"

the worst company I've ever worked for

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

there is nothing positive about them

Cons

terrible company who does not value their employees whatsoever

Great company, bad experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Zumiez as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Zumiez was a great place to work with extremely friendly and laid-back (yet professional) staff.

Cons

There was a mixup and something was supposedly stolen by a kid in the fitting room, and without even giving me and another co worker a chance to explain, we were asked not to come back. Other than that though, my experience there was highly positive.

Better system in the fitting rooms

Zumiez Photos

100k - Just another way Zumiez gives back to their people

+ Add Photo

Worked for Zumiez? Contribute to the Community!