Zumiez

www.zumiez.com
Profile Unclaimed

They take advantage of kids, unrealistic sales goals, big turnover of employees, low pay.

I worked at Zumiez

Pros

Music, cool environment, a place for kids to learn where not to work and why.

Cons

Low pay, unrealistic sales goals, employee dissension over hours, low hours, completely disorganized, managers have poor experience, errors in paycheck, they pay you with a debit credit card, they take advantage of kids.

Better management training, much better new employee training, realistic sales goals, more hours for employees, more HR and employee development. Make employees the number one resource.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

100K the best party ever

Cons

Peak season is hectic/crazy customers

Upbeat and Positive Workplace

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, Active lifestyle people, Cool merchandise, Sales experience

Cons

Low hours, Mall environment and hours,

Super fun, challenging sales environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moscow, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moscow, ID

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young fresh manangement, opportunity for growth

Cons

time commitment, many on-call shifts when starting out

Awesome and fun.

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding, you get what you put into it. You learn a lot about managing and employee interaction. Each store is adjusted to the customer base and overall traffic and volume. Your coworkers become family.

Cons

Customer service will always be hell. Dealing with people is the ultimate downfall.

Home Office Employee - Poor management in my department

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Home office employees receive 40-50% off of retail prices for all Zumiez merchandise, online or retail location. There are many "give-aways", when the buyers clean out out-dated product and employees are allowed to take home merchandise for free.
    Some of my co-workers are the best at what they do and have great energy and positive attitudes.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are some managers who still manage the "old-school" way: through intimidation and very poor communication skills. Those managers do not represent the Zumiez culture at all in my opinion. My department downstairs has a VERY high turnover, due to poor Departmental management and a very negative work environment. Also, we are quite underpaid by industry standards. About every month or so, we get an email in my department announcing that someone is "no longer employed with Zumiez". There is an overall negative atmosphere in my department, which I don't see in other departments. It is very difficult to transfer from one department to another, many employees have to leave this company just to further their career. OH, AND THERE ARE NO PAID HOLIDAYS, PERIOD. The corporate office is locked on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Independence Day, etc., AND you must take one of your vacation days to make up for the lost hours that the office was closed, or you will miss those hours off of your paycheck. This is just disrespectful to employees and a very odd corporate policy.

When you see a steady stream of employees leaving their employment at home office, take a look at how that particular department is being run, and by whom. Ask for and listen to feedback from department (non-salary) employees. Look at how other companies treat their employees (Nintendo, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.) and follow suit if you want to keep your talent. Employees are leaving Zumiez because they are underpaid, there is no room for growth, and the benefits just aren't there, Treat your employees at home office with the respect that they deserve by giving them paid holidays and earnings that meet industry standards. If your business is growing, start rewarding your employees for getting you where you are today.

Second assistant

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Trip benefits
    Discount is awesome

Cons

Pay stinks
    Benefits stink
    A lot of product to learn

Pay your employees more!!

Good start for 16 year olds...that's all.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Zumiez

Pros

Get to wear what you want, fun, and he music.

Cons

This is a baby job.. The people who try to make their careers out of it are usually high school drop outs or junkies. They NEVER budge when it comes to a pay rate. They are horrible. They act like they care about you but do not. Their so money hungry. A few years ago it was all about te customer and now it's all about te money.. But can't pay us decent.. Hmm. And the process of moving up in te company is like a life long process. Unless you are in the inner circle even they they are crooked.

Pay more, stop having favorites, and focus more on customers.

Chill environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate Then Assistant Manager in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Then Assistant Manager in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Zumiez part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well their employee discount is very generous, it's fun to learn about all the new products and push yourself to meet sales goals. Making sales over $100 gets you commission was is a nice little extra in your paycheck.

Cons

Some days were really slow so goals weren't met, no benefits, they have something called an "On call shift" so any day you are one call you pretty much can't do anything fun just in case they need you to come into work last minute. Store manager can be a hit or a miss, mine was super unreasonable and tried to convince me that University was a mistake, which I clearly disagree with.

Really pick you who hire as Store managers and 1st assistants seriously. I had a horrible store manager, but I great 1st assistant manager and the only reason I was able to stick with the company as long as I did was because how awesome and supportive my 1st assistant manager was.

Like a big family.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really relaxed work environment, easy to move up.

Cons

Low pay. Low hours also.

Keep doing you.