Zuora Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
4.2

Zuora Founder & CEO Tien Tzuo
Tien Tzuo

Pros
  • Great product offering meeting market demand at precisely the right time (in 6 reviews)

• exciting, challenging work & fast paced environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectation is 24/7 work; no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced start-up and the work can be challenging; it's not a good fit if you're looking for a place to cruise (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong thought leadership behind growing product

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

The product is cutting edge and the leader in its space. The CEO built a strategic framework for success focused on the customer and it's been an amazing experience watching the organization execute on all levels.

Backs career growth with tangible learning opportunities/projects and compensation adjustments.

Cons

Currently there is so much focus on execution that folks are losing sight of the strategic direction and core values., especially new employees. This is probably natural for a startup in this phase.

Continue to think big and exceed expectations. Don't lose sight of your customers' and the true business challenges they face every day and ensure that's what drives the direction of the product.

Approach your customer's problems with an objective view and avoid conveying best practices based on the product's framework and limitations.

Add more PTO time (your teams deserve it!) and 401k matching.

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Zuora full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a self-starter, open to learning, growing and working at a fast pace, Zuora will provide you everything you need. I work in engineering, and during my short tenure with the company, I've been a part of more projects than any other company I've worked for (in the same duration). I've also had the opportunity to work with organizations across the company including marketing, sales, services and support, which provided me with further context on what we are trying to achieve here.

The company fosters the notion that every employee is empowered to make, drive and implement change. This is embodied in the saying, "every employee is a ZEO". For the ZEOs who are able to embrace this spirit and run with it, there is massive upside to working here. Your efforts are visible across the company and recognized accordingly.

There is also a strong culture of customer focus that trickles through every part of Zuora. There are very clear mission statements, objectives and frameworks that allow us to interact with, and help customers achieve success. It's very inspiring and makes working at Zuora more rewarding.

Engineering, specifically, is working on multiple objectives to streamline and scale the organization. Being an enterprise cloud software company implies lots of responsibilities from cloud security, performance, scalability, HA, in addition to advanced features and functionality. Also, internal processes such as project management, release management, monitoring and operational readiness; I have seen initiatives, investments and accomplishments across this broad spectrum since starting at Zuora. The proof is in the pudding with our monthly releases, weekly maintenance releases and large product announcements/keynotes at our annual Subscribed conference.

Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at. From catered lunches, Friday kegerators, to engineering socials, birthday celebrations and team lunches, it sometimes feels as though there is as much social event planning as product planning.

Cons

The company as a whole is on a journey trying to find the right level of balance between "freedom" and "process". There are a lot of initiatives surrounding this exploration, across all organizations, and it's very encouraging to hear our leaders talk and debate openly about the pros and cons of either end of the spectrum. I don't consider this a con, but something the company is actively working on to further streamline our organizational and operational efficiencies. I look forward to the outcome.

Keep up the great work. Keep up the energy level. Remember, you are the top-level ZEOs. You lead by example.

average career opport's at zuora

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

pre ipo is the only pro

Cons

only 2 weeks of vacation per year
    product is 'made in china'
    sr. management is disfunctional and incompetent. Most SVP's are from large companies and know how to play their game, they don't belong in a small company like Zuora.

Advice to CEO --
    Why would you hire incompetent SVP's and create layers of bureaucracy when the goal is to be efficient, lean and productive ? you came from salesforce, you admire Marc and yet you don't follow any of salesforce policies !! benefits sucks, salaries sucks and management sucks

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun people, career opportunities okay

I worked at Zuora as an intern

Pros

Culture, people, marketing, sales, lifestyle

Cons

Executives disengaged from office culture
    Product and engineering lacking top talent

Great company, good people

I have been working at Zuora full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly, I've been at a few startups around the Valley, and there is a reason that this one wins Glassdoor awards for best company to work for. The culture is good, really good. I think some of the negative reviews on here are either the individuals, or were from some bad times I have heard existed in the past.

It's a very debate oriented, introspective culture. Things get discussed...a lot...but everyone's involved and everyone gets a say. Even if they don't deserve a say!

The vision is excellent. It's pretty unique for what is essentially a boring industry, billing. The CEO is truly inspirational. It's about as close as you'd get to a Steve Jobs in enterprise software.

Look, people here just aren't jerks. And god knows there's a ton of them floating around in the Valley. It's a good place, with good people, doing good, interesting work. They respect you, they respect your opinion, if you're really too stupid to deserve one. God knows theres a ton of other places that are WAY worse.

Cons

Introspection means features take aggeeess to get out. That can be frustrating for some people with ADD in the Valley, which is a lot of people. But when they do get something out you can guarantee it's been debated and thought out a lot. It's not just a random decision like some other startups I have been in.

And look at its core, it's billing, not a social network for dolphins with dementia or whatever ridiculous fad is going around in the Valley. It's solid and steady, but billing is boring, even though they want to do and have done some pretty interesting things.

Be a bit more agile, do more ambitious stuff and get it out faster...the competition never sleeps.

Worst sales culture I've seen in my career

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I worked at Zuora full-time for less than a year

Pros

On the face of it, compensation is good, but like another reviewer pointed out, maximizing your variable is another story.

Cons

I was here a short time but in that period I had two large deals fall through because the prospect did back door references and were told to stay away from Zuora. One customer said it was the worst purchasing decision they ever made in their career.

And as others have pointed out, many of these positive reviews seem planted. I was asked by HR to write a review when I'd been there only a few weeks. They provided some helpful "guidance" as to what to write.

You can dismiss the bad reviews as bitter or disgruntled employees but isn't that the point of leaving reviews? They are bitter and disgruntled for a reason. Luckily I didn't stay long enough to become bitter but I can see how it would happen.

This company is great at hyping themselves up and making it seem like it's on the fast path to IPO, great culture, etc. Once I was there, it didn't take long to see the truth and I regretted leaving my previous company, where I was making good money and my deals didn't get blown up by bad customer references.

We live in Silicon Valley, the tech capital of the world, why work here when you have so many options?

Stop asking employees to plant reviews, it's creating a false impression that isn't lived up to.

Good

Former Employee - Systems Administrative  in  Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Foster City, CA

I worked at Zuora full-time for more than a year

Pros

SaaS model
    never a dull moment
    Many opportunities to work on different projects

Cons

work late night and weekend
    most of the management team is from CA

If you work hard, the payoff is there.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons

--The keg runs out often

Things are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
    Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)

90 -100% AE Turnover within a year, Combative management

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

Fairly transparent organization.
    Some very capable and smart folks in every department, all levels
    Competitive comp (BUT, maximizing your variable is another story)
    Communication is open and one is encouraged to work cross functionally.
    The sales team is in fact highly regarded within the organization and Zuora is known to groom strong sales talent.
    Sales has access to resources and there is a team selling environment
    You will be treated like you’re in a frat. Take that as you wish.

Cons

Very difficult place to work and everyone knows it. The following will sound exaggerated and coming from a disgruntled employee but sadly, it's neither.

First off, all the recent 5 star reviews are written by
    a) those who have been here since Feb’14 who Mgmt asked to review because they don’t know any better or
    b) Senior management who are having trouble recruiting

The most tenured reps on the Enterprise/SMB/Mid-Market/SDR teams have been at Zuora for ~1 year...everyone else has left. This is NOT Hyperbole, do validate on LinkedIn! This has been the precedent at Zuora since it’s founding but it extends well beyond the sales team. Mgmt has been desperately trying to improve morale as some very senior folks have recently left abruptly.

The culture created by the execs is simply combative. If you don't engage, you will get trampled. Sales management is the biggest culprit and forecast calls are a medium for humiliation. Once again, not an exaggeration nor isolated to the low performers. Please ask a Zuora rep what these "meetings" are called.

Quota? forget about it. 10-20% of reps even get close to their number and if you're a new AE in a tier 3 territory, chances of hitting are incredibly slim.

Very little inbound lead activity = you will prospect a lot YET historical data says that 80% of your number has to come from inbound (which you won't get.) Vicious cycle.

Product, while can be a good fit for some companies, is far from being the next billion dollar IPO that management likes to hype. Number of customers has remained flat for years, customer churn is a major problem and a very small group of clients are used as references over and over.

Large SDR team is mislead, unmotivated and not much of a value add. Outbound accounts for a VERY small portion of business and less so comes from the sdr team. A lot of blind leading blind

No sense of work/life balance. Sr Sales mgmt works like machines and reps are expected to as well. You will be berated if you go against this

Senior sales leadership is just not pleasant to be around most of the time. Nepotism abound, and unless you’re one of the rare guys in a golden patch, your time will come.

What's career progression?

Execs:
    We have some very smart people but not very many "people" people making smart decisions. Understand that you've not figured out how to scale the sales team. Doing more of what you have been doing is obviously not going to work so a serious reevaluation is needed.

Discourage an aggressive, machismo culture. You will not get the true feedback explicitly so try to get a real ear to the ground because without change, you'll be hiring a brand new sales team of 25-30 reps again next year.

Sales VPs/ Directors:
    Treat your reps like adults. Sounds silly but you don’t actually do that today. We’re your real asset so treat us like one.

Oh and a popcorn machine during march madness alone isn't going to save morale.

Candidates:
    Take EVERYTHING they say during the recruiting process with a huge grain of salt. I highly encourage any potential candidate to back channel on LinkedIn because you will get a different story.

Leader in the Space

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

This company is not going to be just another Silicon Valley start up. It is disruptive, and grabbing more and more market share every quarter. At these high growth companies, there are plenty of opportunities to do great things.

Cons

The hours can be long, the team is intense. You need to be aware of this if you are seeking a 9-5 job.

Keep pushing to find ways for your team to be successful (at Zuora and beyond).

Worked for Zuora? Contribute to the Community!