Zuora

Updated December 11, 2014
4.2

Zuora Founder & CEO Tien Tzuo
Tien Tzuo

Pros
  • exciting, challenging work & fast paced environment (in 5 reviews)

• Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectation is 24/7 work; no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Typical growing pains - build out training and on-boarding for new hires without diluting the company's culture (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1 year and going strong

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to succeed and do great things, since the company is growing. I've had the ability to learn a lot that I wouldn't have at a larger company where my scope would be more focused. Ever after being here one year, opportunities are arising for me to move up in the company.

Cons

Performance reviews are not regular and direction from management can be improved.

Perform regular performance reviews and reward people accordingly.

Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Forest, CA

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

Once a week WFH, on call pay

Cons

Polity! The whole environment doesn't encourage you to work but kissing you know what. Too much meetings everyday you can barely get your stuff done.

Strong thought leadership behind growing product

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

The product is cutting edge and the leader in its space. The CEO built a strategic framework for success focused on the customer and it's been an amazing experience watching the organization execute on all levels.

Backs career growth with tangible learning opportunities/projects and compensation adjustments.

Cons

Currently there is so much focus on execution that folks are losing sight of the strategic direction and core values., especially new employees. This is probably natural for a startup in this phase.

Continue to think big and exceed expectations. Don't lose sight of your customers' and the true business challenges they face every day and ensure that's what drives the direction of the product.

Approach your customer's problems with an objective view and avoid conveying best practices based on the product's framework and limitations.

Add more PTO time (your teams deserve it!) and 401k matching.

Very Talented Company

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

The office is composed of very smart and ambitious people. You are given the opportunity to contribute from day one, the learning curve is quite steep but team members are very supportive and willing to teach. Flat corporate structure where even interns have access to VP's. Have "some" very young talent which is intimidating. (Think baby Benioff's)

Cons

Individuals will carry the whole "group" and be largely dependent on them
    Growing pains

Treat your employees well. If you don’t treat each employee like an investment that will pay off in the short- and long-term (think of the care and effort it can take to maintain a good garden), then you may find yourself constantly having to go to that aisle in the grocery store to fill the same job openings over and over again.

Awesome place!!!!!

Former Employee - Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Zuora as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work at.Excellent people, it makes you feel like family

Cons

Its a young,fast pace growing company.Thus, there are no cons as such.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Stay away - a sweatshop with draconian engineering leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Zuora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pre-IPO in an interesting space & CEO has great vision.

Cons

A sweatshop with the majority of development being (or already been) outsourced to China. This is a cost and margins first company and customer & employees second. Favoritism is the only way to get promoted. Workers are worried about being fired for random reasons.

Move development back to the US and focus on people. Review the performance of senior engineering leaders.

Zuora Response

Nov 11, 2014Director of Talent

As other similar Cloud based companies, Zuora is a global engineering organization. Engineering is split into 2 geographically locations: Beijing and Foster City, California. We continue to ... More

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Zuora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're a self-starter, open to learning, growing and working at a fast pace, Zuora will provide you everything you need. I work in engineering, and during my short tenure with the company, I've been a part of more projects than any other company I've worked for (in the same duration). I've also had the opportunity to work with organizations across the company including marketing, sales, services and support, which provided me with further context on what we are trying to achieve here.

The company fosters the notion that every employee is empowered to make, drive and implement change. This is embodied in the saying, "every employee is a ZEO". For the ZEOs who are able to embrace this spirit and run with it, there is massive upside to working here. Your efforts are visible across the company and recognized accordingly.

There is also a strong culture of customer focus that trickles through every part of Zuora. There are very clear mission statements, objectives and frameworks that allow us to interact with, and help customers achieve success. It's very inspiring and makes working at Zuora more rewarding.

Engineering, specifically, is working on multiple objectives to streamline and scale the organization. Being an enterprise cloud software company implies lots of responsibilities from cloud security, performance, scalability, HA, in addition to advanced features and functionality. Also, internal processes such as project management, release management, monitoring and operational readiness; I have seen initiatives, investments and accomplishments across this broad spectrum since starting at Zuora. The proof is in the pudding with our monthly releases, weekly maintenance releases and large product announcements/keynotes at our annual Subscribed conference.

Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at. From catered lunches, Friday kegerators, to engineering socials, birthday celebrations and team lunches, it sometimes feels as though there is as much social event planning as product planning.

Cons

The company as a whole is on a journey trying to find the right level of balance between "freedom" and "process". There are a lot of initiatives surrounding this exploration, across all organizations, and it's very encouraging to hear our leaders talk and debate openly about the pros and cons of either end of the spectrum. I don't consider this a con, but something the company is actively working on to further streamline our organizational and operational efficiencies. I look forward to the outcome.

Keep up the great work. Keep up the energy level. Remember, you are the top-level ZEOs. You lead by example.

average career opport's at zuora

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

pre ipo is the only pro

Cons

only 2 weeks of vacation per year
    product is 'made in china'
    sr. management is disfunctional and incompetent. Most SVP's are from large companies and know how to play their game, they don't belong in a small company like Zuora.

Advice to CEO --
    Why would you hire incompetent SVP's and create layers of bureaucracy when the goal is to be efficient, lean and productive ? you came from salesforce, you admire Marc and yet you don't follow any of salesforce policies !! benefits sucks, salaries sucks and management sucks

Zuora Response

Nov 11, 2014Director of Talent

Zuora is a company whose customer base has grown by 500% in last 2 years. With this growth came many enterprise tenants. If you want to be in the space selling to enterprise customers, you ... More

Fun people, career opportunities okay

I worked at Zuora as an intern

Pros

Culture, people, marketing, sales, lifestyle

Cons

Executives disengaged from office culture
    Product and engineering lacking top talent

Great company, good people

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, I've been at a few startups around the Valley, and there is a reason that this one wins Glassdoor awards for best company to work for. The culture is good, really good. I think some of the negative reviews on here are either the individuals, or were from some bad times I have heard existed in the past.

It's a very debate oriented, introspective culture. Things get discussed...a lot...but everyone's involved and everyone gets a say. Even if they don't deserve a say!

The vision is excellent. It's pretty unique for what is essentially a boring industry, billing. The CEO is truly inspirational. It's about as close as you'd get to a Steve Jobs in enterprise software.

Look, people here just aren't jerks. And god knows there's a ton of them floating around in the Valley. It's a good place, with good people, doing good, interesting work. They respect you, they respect your opinion, if you're really too stupid to deserve one. God knows theres a ton of other places that are WAY worse.

Cons

Introspection means features take aggeeess to get out. That can be frustrating for some people with ADD in the Valley, which is a lot of people. But when they do get something out you can guarantee it's been debated and thought out a lot. It's not just a random decision like some other startups I have been in.

And look at its core, it's billing, not a social network for dolphins with dementia or whatever ridiculous fad is going around in the Valley. It's solid and steady, but billing is boring, even though they want to do and have done some pretty interesting things.

Be a bit more agile, do more ambitious stuff and get it out faster...the competition never sleeps.