Zuora

Updated August 3, 2014

4.2

Zuora Founder & CEO Tien Tzuo
Tien Tzuo

Pros
  • Great product offering meeting market demand at precisely the right time (in 6 reviews)

• Fast-paced sensible organization (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectation is 24/7 work; no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced start-up and the work can be challenging; it's not a good fit if you're looking for a place to cruise (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I've worked for

Pros

If you're a self-starter, open to learning, growing and working at a fast pace, Zuora will provide you everything you need. I work in engineering, and during my short tenure with the company, I've been a part of more projects than any other company I've worked for (in the same duration). I've also had the opportunity to work with organizations across the company including marketing, sales, services and support, which provided me with further context on what we are trying to achieve here.

The company fosters the notion that every employee is empowered to make, drive and implement change. This is embodied in the saying, "every employee is a ZEO". For the ZEOs who are able to embrace this spirit and run with it, there is massive upside to working here. Your efforts are visible across the company and recognized accordingly.

There is also a strong culture of customer focus that trickles through every part of Zuora. There are very clear mission statements, objectives and frameworks that allow us to interact with, and help customers achieve success. It's very inspiring and makes working at Zuora more rewarding.

Engineering, specifically, is working on multiple objectives to streamline and scale the organization. Being an enterprise cloud software company implies lots of responsibilities from cloud security, performance, scalability, HA, in addition to advanced features and functionality. Also, internal processes such as project management, release management, monitoring and operational readiness; I have seen initiatives, investments and accomplishments across this broad spectrum since starting at Zuora. The proof is in the pudding with our monthly releases, weekly maintenance releases and large product announcements/keynotes at our annual Subscribed conference.

Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at. From catered lunches, Friday kegerators, to engineering socials, birthday celebrations and team lunches, it sometimes feels as though there is as much social event planning as product planning.

Cons

The company as a whole is on a journey trying to find the right level of balance between "freedom" and "process". There are a lot of initiatives surrounding this exploration, across all organizations, and it's very encouraging to hear our leaders talk and debate openly about the pros and cons of either end of the spectrum. I don't consider this a con, but something the company is actively working on to further streamline our organizational and operational efficiencies. I look forward to the outcome.

Keep up the great work. Keep up the energy level. Remember, you are the top-level ZEOs. You lead by example.

Fun people, career opportunities okay

Pros

Culture, people, marketing, sales, lifestyle

Cons

Executives disengaged from office culture
    Product and engineering lacking top talent

Great company, good people

Pros

Honestly, I've been at a few startups around the Valley, and there is a reason that this one wins Glassdoor awards for best company to work for. The culture is good, really good. I think some of the negative reviews on here are either the individuals, or were from some bad times I have heard existed in the past.

It's a very debate oriented, introspective culture. Things get discussed...a lot...but everyone's involved and everyone gets a say. Even if they don't deserve a say!

The vision is excellent. It's pretty unique for what is essentially a boring industry, billing. The CEO is truly inspirational. It's about as close as you'd get to a Steve Jobs in enterprise software.

Look, people here just aren't jerks. And god knows there's a ton of them floating around in the Valley. It's a good place, with good people, doing good, interesting work. They respect you, they respect your opinion, if you're really too stupid to deserve one. God knows theres a ton of other places that are WAY worse.

Cons

Introspection means features take aggeeess to get out. That can be frustrating for some people with ADD in the Valley, which is a lot of people. But when they do get something out you can guarantee it's been debated and thought out a lot. It's not just a random decision like some other startups I have been in.

And look at its core, it's billing, not a social network for dolphins with dementia or whatever ridiculous fad is going around in the Valley. It's solid and steady, but billing is boring, even though they want to do and have done some pretty interesting things.

Be a bit more agile, do more ambitious stuff and get it out faster...the competition never sleeps.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you work hard, the payoff is there.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

Pros

I have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons

--The keg runs out often

Things are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
    Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)

Worst sales culture I've seen in my career

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

Pros

On the face of it, compensation is good, but like another reviewer pointed out, maximizing your variable is another story.

Cons

I was here a short time but in that period I had two large deals fall through because the prospect did back door references and were told to stay away from Zuora. One customer said it was the worst purchasing decision they ever made in their career.

And as others have pointed out, many of these positive reviews seem planted. I was asked by HR to write a review when I'd been there only a few weeks. They provided some helpful "guidance" as to what to write.

You can dismiss the bad reviews as bitter or disgruntled employees but isn't that the point of leaving reviews? They are bitter and disgruntled for a reason. Luckily I didn't stay long enough to become bitter but I can see how it would happen.

This company is great at hyping themselves up and making it seem like it's on the fast path to IPO, great culture, etc. Once I was there, it didn't take long to see the truth and I regretted leaving my previous company, where I was making good money and my deals didn't get blown up by bad customer references.

We live in Silicon Valley, the tech capital of the world, why work here when you have so many options?

Stop asking employees to plant reviews, it's creating a false impression that isn't lived up to.

Good

Former Employee - Systems Administrative  in  Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Foster City, CA

Pros

SaaS model
    never a dull moment
    Many opportunities to work on different projects

Cons

work late night and weekend
    most of the management team is from CA

Leader in the Space

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

This company is not going to be just another Silicon Valley start up. It is disruptive, and grabbing more and more market share every quarter. At these high growth companies, there are plenty of opportunities to do great things.

Cons

The hours can be long, the team is intense. You need to be aware of this if you are seeking a 9-5 job.

Keep pushing to find ways for your team to be successful (at Zuora and beyond).

Great job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Awesome place to work. Management actually cares and invests in the employees.

Cons

Snacks could be healthier and vacation time could be longer. Club trip was awesome

Keep it up!

A very happy ZEO..

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have been at Zuora for some time now and it is one of the best career moves I have made. I want to share my experiences/thoughts as what I can see from the past recent reviews seem to be disgruntled ex employees or ones on there way out! Sure, it's a high pressured environment, what start up isn't that is on a strong growth trajectory? The company runs hard and fast and there can be lost communication at times but the company is supportive and truly believe that every employee is a ZEO. You will do well in this environment if you make things happen, Zuora give you the autonomy to do this so do it rather that sit back and complain.

I do not see pressure from Zuora requesting review postings. Take a look at the other reviews like people that have interviewed that have not joined, that gave me a good indication of the process and interview experience rather than ex employees.

We have just closed out a very strong sales quarter with most if not all AE's closing some exciting deals!

Really looking forward to this positive mental attitude continuing here..I see very happy people here in a fun and supportive culture.

Cons

employee's that do not share the passion and vision of the company should go find an easier job if they want an easy life!

Communicate as much as possible especially when experiencing high growth and change. Continue with Z-Brief's.

The perfect time to be here.

Pros

Great product offering meeting market demand at precisely the right time.
    Talented and passionate executive leadership spanning sales, marketing, products and finance functions.
    An environment where great personal contributions make big impacts.
    Just enough 'big company' benefits like HR / IT onboarding, sales enablement, etc to ensure rapid productivity.

Cons

Not the place for people who need constant direction and supervision. This environment rewards self-starters. (Many would consider this a Pro.)

Please continue to scale-out your knowledge and experience on what's built Zuora to-date (e.g. customer successes, marketing program successes, product launch successes, etc).
    Change and Growth can be challenging for some. Please ensure that all employees understand the vision, mission and tactical execution of what we're doing.

Worked for Zuora? Contribute to the Community!