Zuora

Zuora Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Zuora Founder & CEO Tien Tzuo

Tien Tzuo

Pros
  • Great product offering meeting market demand at precisely the right time(in 6 reviews)

• Fast-paced sensible organization(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectation is 24/7 work; no work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced start-up and the work can be challenging; it's not a good fit if you're looking for a place to cruise(in 5 reviews)

Fun people, career opportunities okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture, people, marketing, sales, lifestyle

ConsExecutives disengaged from office culture
    Product and engineering lacking top talent

Great company, good people

ProsHonestly, I've been at a few startups around the Valley, and there is a reason that this one wins Glassdoor awards for best company to work for. The culture is good, really good. I think some of the negative reviews on here are either the individuals, or were from some bad times I have heard existed in the past.

It's a very debate oriented, introspective culture. Things get discussed...a lot...but everyone's involved and everyone gets a say. Even if they don't deserve a say!

The vision is excellent. It's pretty unique for what is essentially a boring industry, billing. The CEO is truly inspirational. It's about as close as you'd get to a Steve Jobs in enterprise software.

Look, people here just aren't jerks. And god knows there's a ton of them floating around in the Valley. It's a good place, with good people, doing good, interesting work. They respect you, they respect your opinion, if you're really too stupid to deserve one. God knows theres a ton of other places that are WAY worse.

ConsIntrospection means features take aggeeess to get out. That can be frustrating for some people with ADD in the Valley, which is a lot of people. But when they do get something out you can guarantee it's been debated and thought out a lot. It's not just a random decision like some other startups I have been in.

And look at its core, it's billing, not a social network for dolphins with dementia or whatever ridiculous fad is going around in the Valley. It's solid and steady, but billing is boring, even though they want to do and have done some pretty interesting things.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a bit more agile, do more ambitious stuff and get it out faster...the competition never sleeps.

If you work hard, the payoff is there.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsI have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons--The keg runs out often

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
    Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst sales culture I've seen in my career

Enterprise Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsOn the face of it, compensation is good, but like another reviewer pointed out, maximizing your variable is another story.

ConsI was here a short time but in that period I had two large deals fall through because the prospect did back door references and were told to stay away from Zuora. One customer said it was the worst purchasing decision they ever made in their career.

And as others have pointed out, many of these positive reviews seem planted. I was asked by HR to write a review when I'd been there only a few weeks. They provided some helpful "guidance" as to what to write.

You can dismiss the bad reviews as bitter or disgruntled employees but isn't that the point of leaving reviews? They are bitter and disgruntled for a reason. Luckily I didn't stay long enough to become bitter but I can see how it would happen.

This company is great at hyping themselves up and making it seem like it's on the fast path to IPO, great culture, etc. Once I was there, it didn't take long to see the truth and I regretted leaving my previous company, where I was making good money and my deals didn't get blown up by bad customer references.

We live in Silicon Valley, the tech capital of the world, why work here when you have so many options?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking employees to plant reviews, it's creating a false impression that isn't lived up to.

Good

Systems Administrative (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsSaaS model
    never a dull moment
    Many opportunities to work on different projects

Conswork late night and weekend
    most of the management team is from CA

Leader in the Space

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThis company is not going to be just another Silicon Valley start up. It is disruptive, and grabbing more and more market share every quarter. At these high growth companies, there are plenty of opportunities to do great things.

ConsThe hours can be long, the team is intense. You need to be aware of this if you are seeking a 9-5 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to find ways for your team to be successful (at Zuora and beyond).

Great job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAwesome place to work. Management actually cares and invests in the employees.

ConsSnacks could be healthier and vacation time could be longer. Club trip was awesome

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

A very happy ZEO..

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have been at Zuora for some time now and it is one of the best career moves I have made. I want to share my experiences/thoughts as what I can see from the past recent reviews seem to be disgruntled ex employees or ones on there way out! Sure, it's a high pressured environment, what start up isn't that is on a strong growth trajectory? The company runs hard and fast and there can be lost communication at times but the company is supportive and truly believe that every employee is a ZEO. You will do well in this environment if you make things happen, Zuora give you the autonomy to do this so do it rather that sit back and complain.

I do not see pressure from Zuora requesting review postings. Take a look at the other reviews like people that have interviewed that have not joined, that gave me a good indication of the process and interview experience rather than ex employees.

We have just closed out a very strong sales quarter with most if not all AE's closing some exciting deals!

Really looking forward to this positive mental attitude continuing here..I see very happy people here in a fun and supportive culture.

Consemployee's that do not share the passion and vision of the company should go find an easier job if they want an easy life!

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate as much as possible especially when experiencing high growth and change. Continue with Z-Brief's.

The perfect time to be here.

ProsGreat product offering meeting market demand at precisely the right time.
    Talented and passionate executive leadership spanning sales, marketing, products and finance functions.
    An environment where great personal contributions make big impacts.
    Just enough 'big company' benefits like HR / IT onboarding, sales enablement, etc to ensure rapid productivity.

ConsNot the place for people who need constant direction and supervision. This environment rewards self-starters. (Many would consider this a Pro.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to scale-out your knowledge and experience on what's built Zuora to-date (e.g. customer successes, marketing program successes, product launch successes, etc).
    Change and Growth can be challenging for some. Please ensure that all employees understand the vision, mission and tactical execution of what we're doing.

90 -100% AE Turnover within a year, Combative management

(Current Employee)

ProsFairly transparent organization.
    Some very capable and smart folks in every department, all levels
    Competitive comp (BUT, maximizing your variable is another story)
    Communication is open and one is encouraged to work cross functionally.
    The sales team is in fact highly regarded within the organization and Zuora is known to groom strong sales talent.
    Sales has access to resources and there is a team selling environment
    You will be treated like you’re in a frat. Take that as you wish.

ConsVery difficult place to work and everyone knows it. The following will sound exaggerated and coming from a disgruntled employee but sadly, it's neither.

First off, all the recent 5 star reviews are written by
    a) those who have been here since Feb’14 who Mgmt asked to review because they don’t know any better or
    b) Senior management who are having trouble recruiting

The most tenured reps on the Enterprise/SMB/Mid-Market/SDR teams have been at Zuora for ~1 year...everyone else has left. This is NOT Hyperbole, do validate on LinkedIn! This has been the precedent at Zuora since it’s founding but it extends well beyond the sales team. Mgmt has been desperately trying to improve morale as some very senior folks have recently left abruptly.

The culture created by the execs is simply combative. If you don't engage, you will get trampled. Sales management is the biggest culprit and forecast calls are a medium for humiliation. Once again, not an exaggeration nor isolated to the low performers. Please ask a Zuora rep what these "meetings" are called.

Quota? forget about it. 10-20% of reps even get close to their number and if you're a new AE in a tier 3 territory, chances of hitting are incredibly slim.

Very little inbound lead activity = you will prospect a lot YET historical data says that 80% of your number has to come from inbound (which you won't get.) Vicious cycle.

Product, while can be a good fit for some companies, is far from being the next billion dollar IPO that management likes to hype. Number of customers has remained flat for years, customer churn is a major problem and a very small group of clients are used as references over and over.

Large SDR team is mislead, unmotivated and not much of a value add. Outbound accounts for a VERY small portion of business and less so comes from the sdr team. A lot of blind leading blind

No sense of work/life balance. Sr Sales mgmt works like machines and reps are expected to as well. You will be berated if you go against this

Senior sales leadership is just not pleasant to be around most of the time. Nepotism abound, and unless you’re one of the rare guys in a golden patch, your time will come.

What's career progression?

Advice to Senior ManagementExecs:
    We have some very smart people but not very many "people" people making smart decisions. Understand that you've not figured out how to scale the sales team. Doing more of what you have been doing is obviously not going to work so a serious reevaluation is needed.

Discourage an aggressive, machismo culture. You will not get the true feedback explicitly so try to get a real ear to the ground because without change, you'll be hiring a brand new sales team of 25-30 reps again next year.

Sales VPs/ Directors:
    Treat your reps like adults. Sounds silly but you don’t actually do that today. We’re your real asset so treat us like one.

Oh and a popcorn machine during march madness alone isn't going to save morale.

Candidates:
    Take EVERYTHING they say during the recruiting process with a huge grain of salt. I highly encourage any potential candidate to back channel on LinkedIn because you will get a different story.

Worked for Zuora? Contribute to the Community!