Zuora

Updated November 23, 2014
4.2

Zuora Founder & CEO Tien Tzuo
Tien Tzuo

Pros
  • exciting, challenging work & fast paced environment (in 5 reviews)

• Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectation is 24/7 work; no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Typical growing pains - build out training and on-boarding for new hires without diluting the company's culture (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Talented Company

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

The office is composed of very smart and ambitious people. You are given the opportunity to contribute from day one, the learning curve is quite steep but team members are very supportive and willing to teach. Flat corporate structure where even interns have access to VP's. Have "some" very young talent which is intimidating. (Think baby Benioff's)

Cons

Individuals will carry the whole "group" and be largely dependent on them
    Growing pains

Treat your employees well. If you don’t treat each employee like an investment that will pay off in the short- and long-term (think of the care and effort it can take to maintain a good garden), then you may find yourself constantly having to go to that aisle in the grocery store to fill the same job openings over and over again.

Strong thought leadership behind growing product

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

The product is cutting edge and the leader in its space. The CEO built a strategic framework for success focused on the customer and it's been an amazing experience watching the organization execute on all levels.

Backs career growth with tangible learning opportunities/projects and compensation adjustments.

Cons

Currently there is so much focus on execution that folks are losing sight of the strategic direction and core values., especially new employees. This is probably natural for a startup in this phase.

Continue to think big and exceed expectations. Don't lose sight of your customers' and the true business challenges they face every day and ensure that's what drives the direction of the product.

Approach your customer's problems with an objective view and avoid conveying best practices based on the product's framework and limitations.

Add more PTO time (your teams deserve it!) and 401k matching.

New starter, so far so good!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast growing Organisation who value each and every employee. Never have I worked in a place with so many smart people from the top to the bottom of the organisation. The CEO is an inspiration and his passion percolates throughout.

Cons

For a growing organisation you expect some fluidity in the ways of working and Zuora's no different, if you need structure this isn't the place for you but if you thrive on delivery and change come and join the revolution

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Zuora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're a self-starter, open to learning, growing and working at a fast pace, Zuora will provide you everything you need. I work in engineering, and during my short tenure with the company, I've been a part of more projects than any other company I've worked for (in the same duration). I've also had the opportunity to work with organizations across the company including marketing, sales, services and support, which provided me with further context on what we are trying to achieve here.

The company fosters the notion that every employee is empowered to make, drive and implement change. This is embodied in the saying, "every employee is a ZEO". For the ZEOs who are able to embrace this spirit and run with it, there is massive upside to working here. Your efforts are visible across the company and recognized accordingly.

There is also a strong culture of customer focus that trickles through every part of Zuora. There are very clear mission statements, objectives and frameworks that allow us to interact with, and help customers achieve success. It's very inspiring and makes working at Zuora more rewarding.

Engineering, specifically, is working on multiple objectives to streamline and scale the organization. Being an enterprise cloud software company implies lots of responsibilities from cloud security, performance, scalability, HA, in addition to advanced features and functionality. Also, internal processes such as project management, release management, monitoring and operational readiness; I have seen initiatives, investments and accomplishments across this broad spectrum since starting at Zuora. The proof is in the pudding with our monthly releases, weekly maintenance releases and large product announcements/keynotes at our annual Subscribed conference.

Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at. From catered lunches, Friday kegerators, to engineering socials, birthday celebrations and team lunches, it sometimes feels as though there is as much social event planning as product planning.

Cons

The company as a whole is on a journey trying to find the right level of balance between "freedom" and "process". There are a lot of initiatives surrounding this exploration, across all organizations, and it's very encouraging to hear our leaders talk and debate openly about the pros and cons of either end of the spectrum. I don't consider this a con, but something the company is actively working on to further streamline our organizational and operational efficiencies. I look forward to the outcome.

Keep up the great work. Keep up the energy level. Remember, you are the top-level ZEOs. You lead by example.

If you work hard, the payoff is there.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons

--The keg runs out often

Things are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
    Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)

The perfect time to be here.

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

Great product offering meeting market demand at precisely the right time.
    Talented and passionate executive leadership spanning sales, marketing, products and finance functions.
    An environment where great personal contributions make big impacts.
    Just enough 'big company' benefits like HR / IT onboarding, sales enablement, etc to ensure rapid productivity.

Cons

Not the place for people who need constant direction and supervision. This environment rewards self-starters. (Many would consider this a Pro.)

Please continue to scale-out your knowledge and experience on what's built Zuora to-date (e.g. customer successes, marketing program successes, product launch successes, etc).
    Change and Growth can be challenging for some. Please ensure that all employees understand the vision, mission and tactical execution of what we're doing.

A very happy ZEO..

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been at Zuora for some time now and it is one of the best career moves I have made. I want to share my experiences/thoughts as what I can see from the past recent reviews seem to be disgruntled ex employees or ones on there way out! Sure, it's a high pressured environment, what start up isn't that is on a strong growth trajectory? The company runs hard and fast and there can be lost communication at times but the company is supportive and truly believe that every employee is a ZEO. You will do well in this environment if you make things happen, Zuora give you the autonomy to do this so do it rather that sit back and complain.

I do not see pressure from Zuora requesting review postings. Take a look at the other reviews like people that have interviewed that have not joined, that gave me a good indication of the process and interview experience rather than ex employees.

We have just closed out a very strong sales quarter with most if not all AE's closing some exciting deals!

Really looking forward to this positive mental attitude continuing here..I see very happy people here in a fun and supportive culture.

Cons

employee's that do not share the passion and vision of the company should go find an easier job if they want an easy life!

Communicate as much as possible especially when experiencing high growth and change. Continue with Z-Brief's.

Leader in the Space

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

This company is not going to be just another Silicon Valley start up. It is disruptive, and grabbing more and more market share every quarter. At these high growth companies, there are plenty of opportunities to do great things.

Cons

The hours can be long, the team is intense. You need to be aware of this if you are seeking a 9-5 job.

Keep pushing to find ways for your team to be successful (at Zuora and beyond).

Smart, dynamic, fast-paced company with huge upside

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Disruptive SaaS technology leader in the relationship management software space, Passionate and driven culture, hyper-speed pace, accessibility to everyone, team selling, positive environment, professional but casual, potential for bigger things

Cons

Still building the foundation while growing extremely fast, no 401k match

Extend new hire training.

Dynamic, fast growing company that pushes people hard

Current Employee - Management in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Visionary CEO
    - Market opportunity is growing rapidly and Zuora is in the best position to capitalize
    - Smart, motivated people
    - Solid senior management
    - No politics
    - Pre IPO
    - Company promotes itself we'll and is good at raising money

Cons

- Big product footprint and mission critical nature makes it painful to try to keep customers satisfied for a company that hasn't built everything yet
    - Management has a hard time saying "no" to opportunity, pursuing all size and type of customer
    - Pace can be relentless. There's always more to do than time to do it, and expectations of people's capacity and competence are high

Focus and don't push people so hard