Zuora Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
4.2

Zuora Founder & CEO Tien Tzuo
Tien Tzuo

Pros
  • exciting, challenging work & fast paced environment (in 5 reviews)

• Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectation is 24/7 work; no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Typical growing pains - build out training and on-boarding for new hires without diluting the company's culture (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Talented Company

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

The office is composed of very smart and ambitious people. You are given the opportunity to contribute from day one, the learning curve is quite steep but team members are very supportive and willing to teach. Flat corporate structure where even interns have access to VP's. Have "some" very young talent which is intimidating. (Think baby Benioff's)

Cons

Individuals will carry the whole "group" and be largely dependent on them
    Growing pains

Treat your employees well. If you don’t treat each employee like an investment that will pay off in the short- and long-term (think of the care and effort it can take to maintain a good garden), then you may find yourself constantly having to go to that aisle in the grocery store to fill the same job openings over and over again.

Awesome place!!!!!

Former Employee - Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Zuora as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work at.Excellent people, it makes you feel like family

Cons

Its a young,fast pace growing company.Thus, there are no cons as such.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Strong thought leadership behind growing product

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

The product is cutting edge and the leader in its space. The CEO built a strategic framework for success focused on the customer and it's been an amazing experience watching the organization execute on all levels.

Backs career growth with tangible learning opportunities/projects and compensation adjustments.

Cons

Currently there is so much focus on execution that folks are losing sight of the strategic direction and core values., especially new employees. This is probably natural for a startup in this phase.

Continue to think big and exceed expectations. Don't lose sight of your customers' and the true business challenges they face every day and ensure that's what drives the direction of the product.

Approach your customer's problems with an objective view and avoid conveying best practices based on the product's framework and limitations.

Add more PTO time (your teams deserve it!) and 401k matching.

New starter, so far so good!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast growing Organisation who value each and every employee. Never have I worked in a place with so many smart people from the top to the bottom of the organisation. The CEO is an inspiration and his passion percolates throughout.

Cons

For a growing organisation you expect some fluidity in the ways of working and Zuora's no different, if you need structure this isn't the place for you but if you thrive on delivery and change come and join the revolution

It is a young and fast growing company in US

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Java Developer in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Zuora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Chance to learn tech, billing, and grow with company

Cons

if have to say, the work env can get better

average career opport's at zuora

I have been working at Zuora

Pros

pre ipo is the only pro

Cons

only 2 weeks of vacation per year
    product is 'made in china'
    sr. management is disfunctional and incompetent. Most SVP's are from large companies and know how to play their game, they don't belong in a small company like Zuora.

Advice to CEO --
    Why would you hire incompetent SVP's and create layers of bureaucracy when the goal is to be efficient, lean and productive ? you came from salesforce, you admire Marc and yet you don't follow any of salesforce policies !! benefits sucks, salaries sucks and management sucks

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Zuora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're a self-starter, open to learning, growing and working at a fast pace, Zuora will provide you everything you need. I work in engineering, and during my short tenure with the company, I've been a part of more projects than any other company I've worked for (in the same duration). I've also had the opportunity to work with organizations across the company including marketing, sales, services and support, which provided me with further context on what we are trying to achieve here.

The company fosters the notion that every employee is empowered to make, drive and implement change. This is embodied in the saying, "every employee is a ZEO". For the ZEOs who are able to embrace this spirit and run with it, there is massive upside to working here. Your efforts are visible across the company and recognized accordingly.

There is also a strong culture of customer focus that trickles through every part of Zuora. There are very clear mission statements, objectives and frameworks that allow us to interact with, and help customers achieve success. It's very inspiring and makes working at Zuora more rewarding.

Engineering, specifically, is working on multiple objectives to streamline and scale the organization. Being an enterprise cloud software company implies lots of responsibilities from cloud security, performance, scalability, HA, in addition to advanced features and functionality. Also, internal processes such as project management, release management, monitoring and operational readiness; I have seen initiatives, investments and accomplishments across this broad spectrum since starting at Zuora. The proof is in the pudding with our monthly releases, weekly maintenance releases and large product announcements/keynotes at our annual Subscribed conference.

Last but not least, the company is a fun place to work at. From catered lunches, Friday kegerators, to engineering socials, birthday celebrations and team lunches, it sometimes feels as though there is as much social event planning as product planning.

Cons

The company as a whole is on a journey trying to find the right level of balance between "freedom" and "process". There are a lot of initiatives surrounding this exploration, across all organizations, and it's very encouraging to hear our leaders talk and debate openly about the pros and cons of either end of the spectrum. I don't consider this a con, but something the company is actively working on to further streamline our organizational and operational efficiencies. I look forward to the outcome.

Keep up the great work. Keep up the energy level. Remember, you are the top-level ZEOs. You lead by example.

inspirational and team oriented culture

I worked at Zuora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with client C-level Execs who are launching or transforming their businesses
    working with extremely talented and supportive colleagues
    the proposition is worth getting up for in the morning

Cons

requires broad sponsorship across an Enterprise i.e. multi C-level. Attainable, but takes time

continue to resolutely focus on customer success, thru project, live service and subsequent realisation of ROI

New employees need trust!

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at Zuora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Vision and inspiring CEO. Also the product is very good. Great atmosphere in the teams. Winning mentality.

Cons

No respect for track record or experience when you just joined from another company and the Sales Management has never heard of Ethics. After singing up, you're just a number. In EMEA the people come and go all the time because of this.
    A nightmare for new employees (if you don't have friends in the management), partners and customers.

New people need to have trust. They deserve it. And some key Managers need to develop teaming capabilities (this takes more then organizing parties and diners)

Fun people, career opportunities okay

I worked at Zuora as an intern

Pros

Culture, people, marketing, sales, lifestyle

Cons

Executives disengaged from office culture
    Product and engineering lacking top talent