Zurich Insurance Group

www.zurich.com

Zurich Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Zurich Insurance Group – “The Zurich Building (Photo thanks to Geograph…”

Zurich Insurance Group – “The Zurich Building (Photo thanks to Geograph…”

Zurich Insurance Group CEO Martin Senn

Martin Senn

Pros
  • Good benefits and career development opportunities (in 5 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, encourages and support progression, fun and easy going team (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Burn-out, Work-Life Balance, Machiavellian, very political, bureaucratic (in 5 reviews)

• Zurich is a big, matrix company and decision-making and change comes slowly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fulfilling career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal insurer, had big vision

ConsReality doesn't match vision hence "had" in above; too encumbered in consultants vs employees focus

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that would be taken and acted upon

Good company. Disparate culture.

Information Security (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsGood benefits, mature, stable institution,

ConsManagers allowed to have differing policies to the rest of the org.

Advice to Senior ManagementMgmt should reel in some of the less mature departments and make sure the values, policies, etc. are consistent with the global org.

Was once a great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are many good and hard working employees who care.

ConsUsed to be a great place to work where management truly cared about its employees. Has become a culture where change is made for the sake of change not necessarily for the betterment of a practice or policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementReassess your current trajectory - you once had a winning formula for running and growing this great company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Zurich is a rich global company with a strong underwriting and engineering focus.

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAll the benefits of a large corporation, if you are open to relocation, many growth opportunities.

ConsAll the pains associated with a large corporation, limited local growth. Schaumburg is home office.

Very financially disciplined but lacking vision

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFinancially disciplined company.
    Great managers of risk.

ConsNo coherent vision for uniting various parts of the organization around the world.
    Too many reporting relationships with no clear accountability lines.
    Slow to react to market changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the organizational structure.
    Allow local people to execute.

Great place to work overall

Claims (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosbenefits are awesome and cheap b/c Zurich is so large. don't see how people can complain about Zurich benefits. go check out some ot the other companies out there.
    very flexible schedule, working from home if needed is never a problem
    20 vacation days up front, company always pays a bonus
    early release during summer months
    no micro-managing whatsoever, very laid back
    efficient and available resources
    401k match and pensions offerred

Consno aptitude test to work here so you are surrounded by a lot of completely unqualified idiots
    sometimes company is too laid back b/c managers don't manage people out. they allow dead wood employees to hang around and continue to be wastes of a cubicle
    not a very technical company, they constantly blow coverage and pay claims, then they complain about expenses.
    you have to be a self starter and self motivated to work here. there is a lot of work to be done and it must be done, zurich is very into numbers

Advice to Senior Managementbe more in touch and do not retaliate if someone has criticism. there is a lack of trust in this offce

Harder place to work and achieve results

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsLarge international company with a diverse client pool

ConsInefficient computer systems, poor morale, forced performance grading, poor financial performance last quarter, high deductibles on health care coverage, inadequate staffing model for most departments and high turnover. The force performance grading has led to a higher turnover of employees over the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your subordinates since we have great ideas to improve service.

Career growth not consistent

Underwriting Assistant III (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are good, probably slightly better than industry standards

ConsUnder utilizations of long term multi experienced people

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not over look the long term older employee for cheaper less experienced people

Claims

Claims Counsel (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood medical benefits program. Matching 401K program. Pension vests in three years. Some divisions appear to foster employee retention.

ConsLittle or chance of advancement. High attrition, and employees who leave are not replaced, so that work load and pressure increase. Broad division between management and employees, to the point that communications are discouraged. Many slogans regarding "employee engagement," with no follow-through.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees the sense that they have value to the company. Limit the amount of valuable work time spent on meetings that are not relevant to employees' efforts to manage ever-increasing work loads.

A great place to work for

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompared to another two big companies I worked for, I like here the most.

ConsNot found yet, to be discovered

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Zurich Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!