Zurich Insurance Group Reviews

113 reviews filtered by
3.3
Zurich Insurance Group CEO Martin Senn
Martin Senn

Pros
  • Company encourages a good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and career development opportunities (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Burn-out, Work-Life Balance, Machiavellian, very political, bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

• Complex organisation with slow decision making (in 7 reviews)

1. Great people, very involved and want everyone to be involved.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zurich Insurance Group

Pros

Great people, lots of involvement opportunities, Women Organizations

Cons

Some politics, difficult to move up and they do not create jobs very often

2. Claims

I worked at Zurich Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Great salary, OK benefits, great paid time off, great for gaining experience. Some of the managers are great to work with.

Cons

Not customer focused. More focused on process and staffing model. Staffing model based on premium paid by customer resulting in under-staffing and constant file shuffling for lower paying premium accounts. Claims adjusters not treated fairly, hostile work environment. Good place to work 5 to 8 years for experience then move on to keep sanity. Team managers are either great or horrible. Your experience depends on which one you work for - which accounts you handle.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing some of the managers to verbally abuse their employees. Upper management need to hold team managers more accountable for the way they treat their employees.

3. Classic Corporate

I have been working at Zurich Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Organization has recently really focused on effectiveness, efficiency, and how to do things in a sustainable way - avoiding one-offs and ad hoc requests that so often bog down big projects and transformation efforts.

Cons

Still a huge amount of work to do. Still a lot of status quo in some areas. People generally resistant to change.

Advice to Management

Leaders need to be managers too. Middle management at Zurich suffers widely because it's leaders provide vision but fail to ensure execution.

5. Suffering from lack of control in IT

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Zurich Insurance Group as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They pay well, the work/life balance is pretty good, and (in my role) they permitted telecommuting

Cons

IT standards across the globe are very inconsistent and many localities ring fence their operations. This leads to complete FUBAR situations with no real cohesive approach to problem solving

Advice to Management

Those with Global reach should be given global control. Having one team define standards and allowing locales to decide whether or not to adopt isn't really a sound IT strategy

6. Great place. Great future. Solid management

I have been working at Zurich Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary benefits. Bonus. Work out of home

Cons

Goals and review process can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

7. I was excited to be a part of that pretty big company

I have been working at Zurich Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Work culture was good, lot to develop , exposure to lot of new things

Cons

It was a contract job

8. Call Center

I worked at Zurich Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NONE!!!!! Place is a Joke!!!!

Cons

Most Everything. When I worked there, if you were not screwing anyone you were not going anywhere with that company. Bunch of butt kissing, tattle telling, bunch of BS I have every seen in my life!! Cannot imagine anyone wanting to work under those conditions. Very sad place to work.

Advice to Management

Get a CLUE!!!!

9. Sr. Underwriter

Former Employee - Senior Property Underwriter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Property Underwriter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Zurich Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global brand reputation, nice colleagues. Not a lot to share on pro side.

Cons

Too many to list but mostly petty micromanaging company of control freaks. Lower pay than market. Poor bonus potential if you can call it that & no room to advance. Management are incompetent cowards.

Advice to Management

Check the egos & stop jeopardizing shareholder market share.

Disorganized

I have been working at Zurich Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is great ($5k/year), but they're changing the policy so that you have to stay at least 180 days after you finish the class, or you owe it back. Certification programs are encouraged, but not if you need a couple tries at an exam.

Cons

Super disorganized IT. Mostly outsourced and what is left is competing against itself. IT leadership is not technical and doesn't know how to actually get things done. Zero work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance needs serious improvement. It's common for co-workers or myself to hit 50 to 60 hours a week, but we've basically been told not to report more than 50. Salaries are about 20% lower than market value. Get some smart, technical, hands-on IT people and put them in IT leadership. You can teach people how to lead but you can't teach them to think.

Former UUG is going down

Former Employee - Underwriter in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zurich Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experts in the Auto niche, strong financially, well intentioned.

Cons

In the Overland Park operation, they promote "old boy" network from the old UUG and often their AVP's are cluless. Some of these people could not work at a real insurance carrier for more than a couple of moths before they'd fail. I saw people who were less qualified than me get promoted time after time due to the old bot network. One of their former heads of the Direct Markets segment actually once said "You can't make money writing Workers' Comp." Tell that to Liberty Mutual and other carrier than turn i excellent results year after year. Yep, they sure can pick 'em. Seems that their battle cry in Overland Park is, "If it doesn't hail, we'll make money" and somehow they are allowed to get away with htat insipid mentaility year after year. you write CAR DEALERS.....of course it's going to hail in Texas and the southern states. Best year they had in a long time came the year I left.....and it was all from take downs of prior year claims but no one acknowledged that fact. It's a joke, really but the folks in Schaumburg really don't know what to do with the old UUG side of things.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people because they've been with hte company for 20 years, promote people who are knowledgeable and deserving of promotions. Develop an action plan that is more detailed than "if it doesn't hail, we'll make money."

Zurich Insurance Group Photos