Zurich North America Reviews

Reset
4.0
Zurich North America CEO Martin Senn
Martin Senn

Pros
  • Managers truly care about our work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can stand the pressure (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance has become nonexistent as workloads increase (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management, yearly reviews and poor pay raises (in 9 reviews)

1. A solid company

Current Employee - Claims Assistant/Claims Shared Service Support Staff in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Zurich North America (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have good benefits and employee engagement practices

Cons

Growth potential is minimal for certain positions at the satellite locations. More opportunities are available to those who work at headquarters office

2. Senior underwriter

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY

Pros

There was ample exposure to senior executives of large fortune ranked companies. Additionally, Zurich is a large multi-national company that allows for geographic mobility.

Cons

As with most large corporations, there is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape that is expected, and Zurich is no different. At times, it is difficult to be efficient at certain tasks due to the cumbersome work processes that are sorely outdated.

Advice to Management

Management should be more involved with the development of employees in all levels of the title chain. Taking care to make sure that the team is not weighed down by bureaucracy is an important area to improve upon by both upper and middle management.

3. Everything is as Advertised

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Zurich North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very upfront with what to expect from the internship. The intern program is well structured with plenty of opportunity to interact with your fellow interns. Lots of informational breakfasts/lunches where different employees come in to talk about what they do and how they got to where they are. The office atmosphere was very relaxed and the people were great. There was a lot of opportunities to see first hand about the full-time position you'd be in.

Cons

Only real downside of the internship program would be that although they group everyone together from office to office, there is no, "summit" where they bring everyone together to network.

Advice to Management

Loved my manager, keep hiring good people and don't forget about your interns!

Started my career working at Zurich. My managers and colleagues are great to work with.

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great year end bonus if you get a good review and the company does well -Early closings in summer

Cons

Low budget that makes it hard to add another employee to team. Workload can be a lot at times

A bad attitude towards onshore IT

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melville, NY

Pros

None to speak of. Bad everything including raises, training and promotions!

Cons

I enjoyed my first years at Zurich and worked for the company around 10 years. During this time as a Software Engineer I was brought and sold to multiple consulting firms and for a time as a employee at the company. This is a completely confused company. I have seen them sell 98% of there IT staff to CSC and months later hire more IT staff on the Zurich payroll. It becomes frustrating to be at a company for years and suddenly be sold and to make it worse the next week they hire new staff and put them over you. If you are looking for a career don't bother working at Zurich. They are cut throat and uncaring of the long term dedicated staff. If you are lucky after 15 years you will probably be at the same position you started, but to me its more of a job then a career.

Advice to Management

Promote from withing and make your onshore US staff feel like they are work something. At the end I wished I never worked for you.

Claims Assistant

Current Employee - Workers Compensations in Roxbury Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Workers Compensations in Roxbury Township, NJ

I have been working at Zurich North America (More than a year)

Pros

Summer Hours, great pay, nice PTO!!!

Cons

Health Benefits, and HSA could be better

Great place for rising professionals to learn and master the industry.

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

I worked for a company purchased by Zurich some years ago. The mentoring, opportunity to contribute and opportunity for advancement were as good or better than any I have seen anywhere. The hours were long, yes, and worth it. Highly recommended employer.

Cons

The professional atmosphere is competitive but fair. This is not a place for the simple-minded, the lazy or those who can't take constructive criticism.

Advice to Management

A little less mystery about professional paths.

9. 3 Great Years at Zurich

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Zurich North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers made the stringent deadlines bearable. In my opinion, the compensation was fair for the workload and the company was run by very talented executives.

Cons

Lots of managerial reporting needs and poor communication from the top. It always felt as if there was a lot going on at Zurich, but that news never trickled down to the lower run employees. The secretive nature of company strategy created for a disjointed workforce, but didn't hinder that day to day work.

Advice to Management

Zurich is a great place to work, but should invest in its employees more. There should be a greater availability of training opportunities and collaborative learning to enhance a cohesive work environment. Additionally, better communication from Senior Executives would help people feel like part of a family rather than small contributor. Also, there is lots of meaningless bureaucracy. Standardized reporting along lines would clear the confusion and let people work on more value added tasks.

Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Zurich North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly accessible senior management, outstanding office culture of collaboration, positivity, and drive, and lots of opportunity for personal development whether that be horizontally into new groups or upwards into management. Relationships with clients is also very important to Zurich culture and so allows you to make great connections in the industry as a whole as opposed to just internally.

Cons

Responsibilities can be a bit repetitive when you work in one role, and you continue to do the same work day in and day out, a lot of which can be just inputting numbers. However this does allow you to become an expert at what you do.

11. Great Exposure

Current Intern - Project Leader in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Project Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Zurich North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very accessible. Had a direct access to some of the senior managers as well as the access to client's C-suite. In short great experience.

Cons

Sometimes they could be unclear

RSS Feed </> Embed