Zurich North America

Zurich North America Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Zurich North America CEO Martin Senn

Martin Senn

Pros
  • Managers truly care about our work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great work environment, flexible employer, competitive salary (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance has become nonexistent as workloads increase (in 6 reviews)

• Middle to Senior Management do not support employees, and look to mitigate you as a professional (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights
21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing Experience

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone is incredibly friendly and fun, the managers are really reasonable, relaxed, and invested in helping you succeed. Lots of networking opportunities.

ConsThere isn't always a lot to do, but you can always set up networking meetings in your down time.

Claims Position

A Claims Adjuster Position (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsGood Benefits, excellent benefits. Work loads some what lower than most carriers as it concerns claims. Co-workers are very knowledgeable and an asset to your job. The technology used for claims handling is premiere in the industry.

ConsMiddle to Senior Management do not support employees, and look to mitigate you as a professional. Strong lack of integrity once you get out of your immediate office. Feedback is meaningless, and used against you...so if you take a job there and asked for anonymous opinions, do not under any circumstances respond except to praise. If you handle a trial there is no support except from your immediate supervisor...case goes south, you go south in their eyes...If your salary gets too high they will look for reasons to terminate, no matter how you have been previously thought of. I never have seen the amount of terminations than I see there, I guess for the most part. keep your salary average, never provide negative feed back, and settle any claim that is going to trial...and you will be seen as a good employee...Think outside the box, have anything to add they perceive negative (even if you are presenting as a way to improve), or earn to much and you are a target for termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow you treat people is not "just business"..... It is called integrity. As a person it identifies who you are. Hiding behind it is "just business" shows the lack of same.

Excellent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork environment is very positive. Strong interaction between senior people an entry level people. A real great place to work if you're looking to succeed.

ConsTheir location in manhattan is a very busy one. Getting from the train to the building are very crowded streets during rush hour. This contributes a lot of hassle to your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep ip the good work! The motivation and managerial skills are superb. All people working there are amazing at what they do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Zurich is really great

Underwriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFair hours, pretty laid back, awesome benefits

ConsMay be a little too laid back at times. Management is super rigid, doesn't really listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the people that do the leg work

Claims Counsel

Claims Specialist II (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice people, care about employees

ConsLack of advancement opportunity, mobility

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is speed to thin, in my opinion

Great Place to be

Sales Executive (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsAwesome and rewarding place to work, great management at the local level and above, pay for production is right on, company vehicle a plus, great training,paid for license schooling, technology is on point...overall great job!

ConsOn average about 20-30% higher premium cost but value in coverage is A+, HQ in Kansas City makes it difficult to have relationship with Underwriters

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the NY market become more competitive in pricing, we have an outstanding product but sometimes the value doesn't make up for the cost above competition.

Friendly place to work

Project Management Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNurturing environment to the average intern

ConsInsurance isn't everyone's cup of tea

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more agressive about hiring good interns for fulltime roles

Ok if you want a stable career...

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of really nice people

Great and flexible working hours

ConsLots of beurocracy making it hard to get work done

Redundant or ambiguous positions

Expensive health insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in the vision of the company. Constant change makes it confusing for employees and more difficult to do their jobs. Decrease the level of beurocracy and red tape required to fulfill your work duties and ensure that job titles, roles and departments are clear to everyone and not redundant

Low Morale - People are overworked and Senior Management is out of touch

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGlobal Footprint. The people you work with generally tend to be good people and you can build solid professional and personal relationships with them.

ConsPoor IT systems. Company does not hire enough people to handle the work. Impossible to get anything done because overly bureaucratic and risk averse. You need to get too many people to sign off or approve on something and it hurts business and relationships. Senior Management spends too much time trying to put out a friendly face as opposed to understanding the issues their people face and doing something about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking people about what is wrong with Zurich and start doing something about it. Hire more people and put them in areas where their skill sets will be the most valuable.

Friendly and knowledgeable staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was new to the field and the other employees took time out of their day to explain the ins and outs of what they do and how it affects the overall business. This gave me a great mindset to do my particular job since I could see all the different cogs in motion.

ConsI was only an intern but I wanted to continue my time there after the program expired, unfortunately the corporate office doesn't permit that.

Worked for Zurich North America? Contribute to the Community!