Zurich North America

Zurich North America Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Zurich North America CEO Martin Senn

Martin Senn

Pros:
  • "Nice people, good work life balance, the company is heavily involved in charity with the Zurich Community Trust especially during the summer months"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Good benefits, great trainers, HQ in Schaumburg is strong and progressive"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance tough at first but manageable once you learn all the systems"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Upper management well detached from reality of what goes on in the field"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing Experience

Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEveryone is incredibly friendly and fun, the managers are really reasonable, relaxed, and invested in helping you succeed. Lots of networking opportunities.

ConsThere isn't always a lot to do, but you can always set up networking meetings in your down time.

Great career opportunities

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsAwesome place to work! Good pay, benefits, and PTO. Managers truly care about our work-life balance. Zurich offers a variety of opportunities to advance your career through rotations, international assignments, and promotions.

ConsCubicles tend to isolate teammates, which leads to a rather dull work environment. Decisions are slow and resistant to change, but that comes with any large bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedesign workspaces to facilitate team-based collaboration.

Zurich is a ok place to work.

Claims Support (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsEarly release on Friday through the summer. Plenty of PTO time, Friday is jeans day. Zurich likes supporting charities.

ConsSenior management, yearly reviews and poor pay raises. Dress code is business casual, but we never see anybody but each other. Would like to see it go much more casual and if you go out in the field we can dress it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. They can help you fix most of the issues. Become on of the top 100 companies to work for and you can keep your talant.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for, limited advancement.

Senior Solution Architect (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat work environment, flexible employer, competitive salary. There are many benefits that make it an attractive place to work.

ConsVery hard to advance through the political corporate structure. Promotion opportunities are difficult to come by and are often "fought" over by internal colleagues. Tendency for company to hire from the outside for higher level positions instead of focusing on internal hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp your performance "calibration" and year end rating system. Forced distributions are terrible for employee morale.

Claims Position

A Claims Adjuster Position (Former Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsGood Benefits, excellent benefits. Work loads some what lower than most carriers as it concerns claims. Co-workers are very knowledgeable and an asset to your job. The technology used for claims handling is premiere in the industry.

ConsMiddle to Senior Management do not support employees, and look to mitigate you as a professional. Strong lack of integrity once you get out of your immediate office. Feedback is meaningless, and used against you...so if you take a job there and asked for anonymous opinions, do not under any circumstances respond except to praise. If you handle a trial there is no support except from your immediate supervisor...case goes south, you go south in their eyes...If your salary gets too high they will look for reasons to terminate, no matter how you have been previously thought of. I never have seen the amount of terminations than I see there, I guess for the most part. keep your salary average, never provide negative feed back, and settle any claim that is going to trial...and you will be seen as a good employee...Think outside the box, have anything to add they perceive negative (even if you are presenting as a way to improve), or earn to much and you are a target for termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow you treat people is not "just business"..... It is called integrity. As a person it identifies who you are. Hiding behind it is "just business" shows the lack of same.

An experience

Multiple (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsMoney and benefits... some nice people in multiple departments.

ConsBullies, the higher up the ladder the more prominent the bullying. In this environment, the safest way to succeed is to not say anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to share, they wouldn't listen anyways.

Excellent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWork environment is very positive. Strong interaction between senior people an entry level people. A real great place to work if you're looking to succeed.

ConsTheir location in manhattan is a very busy one. Getting from the train to the building are very crowded streets during rush hour. This contributes a lot of hassle to your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep ip the good work! The motivation and managerial skills are superb. All people working there are amazing at what they do.

Excellent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood experience and resources to grow as an attorney

ConsPoor pay and having to struggle with Claims adjusters

Advice to Senior ManagementTell claims to let the lawyers do their jobs

Excellent

Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat Environment, manageable schedule I really really reallly really really really really really like it here it is great

ConsThere really are not that many cons to working here at Zurich as an intern I do not have any complaints because my time here has been wonderful and I look forward to continuing my internship.

Nice place to work for at the beginning; but things changed for worst after 2008 - management and cultural changes

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsGood benefits if you can stand the pressure.

ConsBecame a vertical and micromanagement company. Be on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to 2000-2004 type of management.

Worked for Zurich North America? Contribute to the Community!

Zurich North America Videos

Zurich North America – Why Work for Us?

Zurich Insurance Group (Zurich) is a leading multi-line insurance provider with a global network of subsidiaries and offices in Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East as well as other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zurich North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zurich North America CEO Martin Senn. All 203 reviews posted anonymously by Zurich North America employees.