Zurich North America

Zurich North America Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Zurich North America CEO Martin Senn

Martin Senn

Pros
  • Managers truly care about our work-life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Great work environment, flexible employer, competitive salary(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance has become nonexistent as workloads increase(in 6 reviews)

• Middle to Senior Management do not support employees, and look to mitigate you as a professional(in 9 reviews)

Good place

ProsBenefits, location, some people, name, industry

Conscubicles, work Enviroment, benefits, company,

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up the enviroment

Zurich is a great place to start an insurance career

Underwriter Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagers are flexible, people are friendly, work environment is not overly stressful. It's sorta a great stable place where you won't be too challenged or stressed. Perfect for people looking to get their feet with, or to get a steady job with good benefits.

ConsAdvancement is slow going and sort of 'pre-planned', you have to put in your time, the work is monotonous, too much time spent adhering to compliance and reporting rather than delivering to the customer. Some meetings are unnecessary, and mid managers need to work on their communication skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employee productivity and efficiency rather than compliance and regulation

There is a lot of potential growth in the company.

Workers Compensation Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere are many opportunities for growth and projects in the company if you are in the right division and location. They had excellent benefits, including a year end bonus depending on the company's results. If you push for opportunities, you will find something.

ConsLike many claims jobs, you are often tied to your desk. There are too many claims and not enough adjusters. It makes it hard to branch out on other projects when you don't have time to finish your daily job. It is a high stress job as well. There is a lack of teamwork and professional growth opportunities due to the claim volume. I don't think that it is just this company, it seems like that is the nature of the claims world. You have to really love claims to stick with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining adjusters is very hard to do, but it is better to help your employees grow within the company than to see people leave due to high volumes and stress of the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Claims Position

A Claims Adjuster Position (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsGood Benefits, excellent benefits. Work loads some what lower than most carriers as it concerns claims. Co-workers are very knowledgeable and an asset to your job. The technology used for claims handling is premiere in the industry.

ConsMiddle to Senior Management do not support employees, and look to mitigate you as a professional. Strong lack of integrity once you get out of your immediate office. Feedback is meaningless, and used against you...so if you take a job there and asked for anonymous opinions, do not under any circumstances respond except to praise. If you handle a trial there is no support except from your immediate supervisor...case goes south, you go south in their eyes...If your salary gets too high they will look for reasons to terminate, no matter how you have been previously thought of. I never have seen the amount of terminations than I see there, I guess for the most part. keep your salary average, never provide negative feed back, and settle any claim that is going to trial...and you will be seen as a good employee...Think outside the box, have anything to add they perceive negative (even if you are presenting as a way to improve), or earn to much and you are a target for termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow you treat people is not "just business"..... It is called integrity. As a person it identifies who you are. Hiding behind it is "just business" shows the lack of same.

Great career opportunities

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsAwesome place to work! Good pay, benefits, and PTO. Managers truly care about our work-life balance. Zurich offers a variety of opportunities to advance your career through rotations, international assignments, and promotions.

ConsCubicles tend to isolate teammates, which leads to a rather dull work environment. Decisions are slow and resistant to change, but that comes with any large bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedesign workspaces to facilitate team-based collaboration.

Amazing Experience

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone is incredibly friendly and fun, the managers are really reasonable, relaxed, and invested in helping you succeed. Lots of networking opportunities.

ConsThere isn't always a lot to do, but you can always set up networking meetings in your down time.

Zurich is a ok place to work.

Claims Support (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsEarly release on Friday through the summer. Plenty of PTO time, Friday is jeans day. Zurich likes supporting charities.

ConsSenior management, yearly reviews and poor pay raises. Dress code is business casual, but we never see anybody but each other. Would like to see it go much more casual and if you go out in the field we can dress it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. They can help you fix most of the issues. Become on of the top 100 companies to work for and you can keep your talant.

Great company to work for, limited advancement.

Senior Solution Architect (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat work environment, flexible employer, competitive salary. There are many benefits that make it an attractive place to work.

ConsVery hard to advance through the political corporate structure. Promotion opportunities are difficult to come by and are often "fought" over by internal colleagues. Tendency for company to hire from the outside for higher level positions instead of focusing on internal hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp your performance "calibration" and year end rating system. Forced distributions are terrible for employee morale.

An experience

Multiple (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsMoney and benefits... some nice people in multiple departments.

ConsBullies, the higher up the ladder the more prominent the bullying. In this environment, the safest way to succeed is to not say anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to share, they wouldn't listen anyways.

Higher workload than industry average

Claims Specialist IV (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsCommunication from upper management has gotten much better over the last few years.
    Zurich tries to promote from within
    Good salaries and bonuses

ConsYear after year, we are expected to do more with less.
    Work-life balance has become nonexistent as workloads increase.
    No alternate working arrangements

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate staffing models. Claims adjusters have some of the highest pendings in the industry, and the Zurich stance is that this will not change and we need to keep expenses down. This comes at the expense of indemnity dollars. With lower pendings, we would be able to do a better job in resolving claims for lower values. In high-value technical claims areas, this amounts to millions of dollars a year.

Quit giving lip service to alternate working arrangements when they are truly a fiction. Some jobs can be done from anywhere, including from home. This is especially true for those that travel 25% or more and need to be portable as it is. If I am going to be away from my family an average of one week a month, at least let me work from home a few days a week so I can get laundry done.

Worked for Zurich North America? Contribute to the Community!