Zygo Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

2.7

Chris L. Koliopoulos

Beneficial -- Enjoyed the work, was well-compensated, and learned a tremendous amount

I have been working at Zygo for more than 10 years

Pros

The technology & level of intelligence of the personnel

Cons

Work-life balance becoming less balanced

Older company set in their ways.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Zygo full-time

Pros

They are an established leader in their market with lots of great technology produced by their team of Ph.D.'s. They also have a number of key developers who have been with the company for a long time giving it stability.

Cons

It's difficult to change the mindset of the central developer team as they are used to doing things a certain way. I didn't see much vision on what direction to take the company, and now that they've been sold to Ametek, I can only imagine there will be more pressure to hit their numbers.

Set key technology goals and then drive development to plan out how they will achieve those goals.

Jr. Planner- Vivian Li

Current Employee - Junior Planner  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Planner in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Zygo full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is my first Job and I love Zygo.

Cons

everything is awesome at Zygo

no work Saturdays

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly run company

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Zygo full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is located in Richmond, California and it is a nice area to live and weather is always mild.

Cons

Management is very set in their ways. It is rather poorly managed. Most new people are hired for new projects. Management consistently bids on job below what it costs to make the parts. They tend to blame engineers for cost over runs to keep their jobs. Most of the management is infected with petty jealousy and incompetence. Management is unable to get into new business and unwilling to try spending money on developing new products and methods of manufacturing. They only know how to make expensive aspheres.

The management at the Richmond site needs to retire and get some new blood in the company to be able to grow new business.

Horrible place to work as a software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer I  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Richmond, CA

I worked at Zygo full-time for more than a year

Pros

I seriously don't know what to say here. Maybe some people are nice? I can barely reach 20 words minimum requirement LOL.

Cons

There's a lot to say here.
    Stagnant management: An easy small change would need a long time to propagate to the upper level management / system. Management doesn't understand software but still arragont about they know it.

You are told what to do: And that is pretty much what you can do there. Management prepares the project for you and you finish it. No room for discussion. No choice of projects to work on. A small technical efficient change on implementation would take days for management to agree. Imaging explaining technology to people don't care or understand technology. That makes ppl frustrated.

Projects are boring, non-innovative:
    Here it tights up to the last point. You are told what to do, so non-innovative management gives boring projects for sure.

Poor software development environment:
    No easy develop environment setup, you have to write everything from scratch. I basically need to spend a lot of to time create tools for myself. A lot of core level software need to be re-design or rewrite for a better and a more understandable code structures. Yet the management is afraid the changes.

You are on your own:
    People don't know software here, so you are on your own to solve the problems. No discussions happen because they don't understand the problem you are facing. The management even blame you for taking more time to make better approaches to the problem.

Overall, I wish I can give a 0 star. It was a waste of time joining this company. Totally not recommended for software engineer.

They need to have a lot of changes. They need people that can accept the changes. They need to understand it's the changes that drives this company forward.

Waste of time. Dumbed down.

Former Employee - Senior  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Senior in Richmond, CA

I worked at Zygo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can't think of anything worth mentioning. Perhaps the healthcare plan once past the waiting period.

Cons

Mega politics / bullying with Ma-Pa start-up culture and turf wars. Favoritism with old-time prima-donna's running the place who are not well-rounded to modern corporate culture. Need new org structure, kick out pseudo-managers and get in real leaders. Lack of modern infrastructure, facilities, processes, etc. Contempt for documentation. Engineering hacks. Falsifications. Horrible integrity/ethics. Discriminatory. By far, the worst company I've worked for. Was a major career mistake!

Get some experience at a good company first and embrace good culture.

Terrible

I worked at Zygo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good health insurance, and 401K.

Cons

Horrible management that caters only to the older workers. Younger people are treated like dirt and looked down upon. No room for advancement, and raises are sparse. Hourly pay is low compared to other companies in the optics field. Safety is also a concern, as many machines are old and breakdown quite often. The work is boring and repetitive, and easily the worst company I ever worked for. Management only cares about taking care of the shareholders, and do not care about their employees.

Learn to listen to the floor people and their concerns, instead of just ignoring them.

No name

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Zygo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very bad company, it is lay off people smart

Cons

Illegal
    Lawsuit in their way

Lawsuit

Great people and technology... horrible management

Current Employee - Technician  in  Middlefield, CT
    Current Employee - Technician in Middlefield, CT

I have been working at Zygo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cutting edge technology, top rate engineering and production people. The products and technology was the most impressive I have worked with and there are a lot of very smart and motivated people on the production floor. I really learned a lot in my years at Zygo. I started with an electronics background but learned a lot about optics and the manufacturing process while I was there.

Cons

Upper management clueless and holding company back. Company politics and kissing up to management valued over work quality and product knowledge. When work got slow lay offs were based on who was kissing up rather than who was the most productive and knowledgeable employee.

They need upper management with knowledge of manufacturing process and organization, too much company politics and game playing. With proper management this company could really go places and be GREAT place to work. As it was when I was laid off there were great things about it but dealing with upper management was painful!

logistic supervisor, left on September 2012

I worked at Zygo full-time

Pros

good salary, benefits and life insurance

Cons

no a healthy environment, no a good place to work for

be more more careful with the people

Worked for Zygo? Contribute to the Community!