Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Major dissatisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPerks: food, gym, shuttle, salary, stock options.

ConsPeople are out for themselves and will step on your back and even lie in order to advance. They are still learning how to develop games and the talent pool reflects that. Major title inflation, particularly at the studio and team leads level. Clique-ish in the extreme, particularly between management and individual contributors. Constant shifting of teams and priorities. Creativity takes a major back seat, despite recent efforts. Content is not innovative and is reskinned over and over. It's as if a bunch of recent ivy league grads jumped on an emerging market, succeeded, hired their friends and are now trying to dictate how to make sophisticated, AAA video games. They don't play games, they don't review games. All the perks in the world do not make up for these major shortcomings.

Advice to Senior ManagementC level management needs to clean house at the E and studio lead level.

Fun people and environment.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe perks are great! Free food, lots of video games and they pay well too. Their benefits package is great as well. People are great and are always happy to hang out after work.

ConsSecond round of layoffs just happened, but most viewed this restructuring as a positive thing for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully the layoffs are all over. Doing a great job, but people are noticing a severe cutback in perks. Confidence is low as it's obvious that you are looking to cut costs anywhere that is possible.

there is nothing good about Zynga except for the compensation

Security Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosgood compensation is the only good thing. Except for that I don't find any other good thing about this job!!

Consnegative career growth ( the shitty management and politics will make you even forget your previous skills), inexperienced managers, not so knowledgable people left in the company anymore.

Advice to Senior Managementplease get some management skills and try to make sense!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mercenaries, not Missionaries

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBrilliant people who came from consulting, investment banking, and a wide range of experience. Compensation was nice, good facade of meritocracy, office had ample food and snacks. Gym was a plus. I went back recently and I thought to myself that the place looks nicer than when I left, which is odd since the company's stock value has gone down.

ConsNo work-life balance, terrible leadership, idiotic management who had rose through the ranks by bullying individuals and humiliating people. Turns out when the stock price goes sour, all of these people run for the hills because they were only in the zero-sum company for the gain they could take from others anyway. I think I learned bad habits here that I'll have to recover from - like thinking that everyone else is out to get you and to think that company politics is how all companies are run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up a little guys. Stop trying to over-manage things. Instead, try to embody the parts of the bay area that make startups powerful. Focus on new platforms and stop trying to optimize and milk your way to profitability. Instead, test, iterate quickly, and be like the initial Zynga, not the one it's become.

The best place I've ever worked at. Think about my Z family often.

San Francisco, CA

Pros-Incredible amount of drive, intellectual horsepower and fun co workers.
    -We had an insatiable appetite to win and learn as much as we could.
    -Company felt like it operated in a unified front for many years
    -Quarterly rewards/recognition
    -incredibly talented culinary team & holistic health care services
    -Transparent CEO (at the time Mark) who had a passion for people and the product
    -Very approachable and personable leadership team
    -We worked long hours for something we believed in (the sweatshop comments are hilarious). No one forces you to work long hours. If you can cultivate an environment where people truly care and put in the amount of effort - it's a pro in my book.
    -Some of the smartest most down to earth folks you can work with in the valley

Cons-We were trailblazing an industry with social games and there was a lot changes in that drop of a dime
    -We could have done earlier training/dev of management to prepare for the rapid growth
    -No sophisticated system in place to track how often comp wasn't reviewed

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the people that have maintained focus and dedication to the product. We are all still rooting for you!

Terrible senior management making awful decisions

Designer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsComp is on the higher end for gaming companies, but on the lower end relative to other public tech companies.

There are some good folks remaining but they're all leaving like flies.

It used to have good perks when I started, but they have gotten rid of a lot of them (no more massages, haircuts, they also laid off my trainer in December).

ConsLowest morale in all of SF and Silicon Valley right now. The last round of layoffs ended up cutting some of the best performers at Zynga (HR and C suite's decision-making abilities are questionable), leaving behind some cheaper but very mediocre performers.

My studio has too many leads and too political to get anything done.

All upper management cares about is pleasing the investors (not their players or employees). They haven't been able to ship a good mobile title organically, so they tap into their free cash flow and acquire other mobile gaming companies while cutting headcount. Great for the bottom line temporarily, but terrible in the long-run because some of the top performers are gone and you cannot make great games without them.

They always claim there will not be more layoffs but a 18% layoffs occurred in May and an 15% layoffs occurred in late January. Do not believe anything upper management says anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour last round of layoffs was done carelessly. You cut some great performers and kept some very medicore performers to save several grand per year for each employee. Now the rest of us is struggling to keep afloat in an already terrible environment.

Your investors-first policy is only great in inflating the stock price. In a good market like this, most of your talent would not bother staying even if they have not been laid off.

Recruiting Coordinator

Prosflexible hours, recruiters are helpful

ConsBeing a contractor is terrible--no benefits, can't be involved in Zynga activities, can't use the gym..ect

Sr. Manager

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed my time at Zynga. Great benefits and smart people.

ConsTo many unhappy employees dragging everyone down. Zynga speed is slow. Company needs to step it up to compete with start-up minded competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Zynga offers fair salaries

Senior Artist (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsSalary was competitive overall. I had the opportunity to work with some very talented people

ConsCompany's products are mediocre; their catalogue is filled with too many tap grinders and slots style games.

It was fun in the early days, but has gone down hill since it ipo.

San Francisco, CA

Prosmeals, incredible talent, flexible hours, gym, accupuncture, massage, hair cuts, good commuter benefits,

Conslacks direction. company is in transition to mobile games, and it still has lots of growing pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people are what makes the company. The company needs to attract talent or the company will fail.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 326 reviews posted anonymously by Zynga employees.