Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A top heavy company that has it's glory days behind.

Senior 3D Artist (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsWorked with a great team of people when I was on CityVille

ConsCopy of a.... copy of a... copy of a...

I guess it's good unless you're spoilt

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsEmployee benefits (free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks & drinks; onsite gym; health insurance; ...) AND unlimited PTO (that's my favorite one!)

Don't usually have to work long hours

The dogs are fun (given you like them, of course)

ConsThe company is fairly disorganized at all levels. There's no way to plan your work because unexpected hi-priority tasks arrive all the time. Often nobody actually knows what the exact request is and how to do it.

It sometimes seems hard to get your manager to actually listen to you, and even if (s)he does, it will likely have no practical effect in the end.

It's very clear that they're trying to save money as much as they can. IT once told me they don't have headphones because they're too expensive. On another day, I got a Macbook Air charger for my Macbook Pro because - guess what - they're out of Pro chargers and new ones are too expensive. They just stopped providing free onsite massages and haircuts (the services are still available, but you need to pay). They cancelled a planned game day as well as a planned Christmas party. We got an invite to come to the church on Sunday instead...

Awesome opportunity, some squandering had.

Lead Environment Artist (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBest in business, pushing content to hundreds of millions of players.

ConsSuccess brings oddly can bring chaos. When the pressure is high, and expectations are not hit, a dangerous cycle begins of unreal expectations and constantly missing the mark.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast p aced development culture, yet lacks focus

Senior Concept Artist (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFun office space, free food, cool coworkers.

Conscompany lack focus, hard to get a raise unless you are a Product Manager. Zynga loves their PM.

Good Benefits, enthusiastic people

Lead Producer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYoung and energetic people, fantastic benefits, and tons of opportunity to move up. Zynga is a great place to learn the web and mobile games business.

ConsWork life balance for some, wide range of talent. Not a great place for families.

Worst company ever.

Associate Producer (Former Employee)

ProsThey paid well, and allow dogs at the office.

Cons12+ hour days are normal. You're ripping people off and you know it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being terrible.

Rarely felt appreciated, often felt exploited

Community Specialist - Hourly (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYour coworkers are super smart, talented, and motivated. Great perks, including great health insurance and free lunch and dinner. Your dog can chill with you at work, or, if you don't have a dog, you can probably borrow a coworker's!

ConsWhile the perks are nice, it does not make up for the fact that, unless you are a developer or product manager, your salary may not even be competitive.

Management, read this!

QA Engineer I (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFree lunch, gym, free insurance premium
    1:1 match on transit and 1:1 match on donation
    Company actively encourages employees to volunteer
    Bring your dog to work, or play with coworker's dog.
    Great people to work with

ConsPoor management: lack of growth and lack of directions to advance.
    Work life balance can be tough especially if you are salaried and working on a team that is either understaffed or has bad planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe workers are the foundation of a company, not the management.
    The company from 1st hand experience is very mediocre at recognizing and retaining talent.
    Be your own CEO was the best company value when I went into Zynga because I believed strongly in meritocracy. However, with the company growing and people in management position coming from outside of the company, this value is really non-existence anymore.

Also, HR should spend more time on understanding why employees are quitting. It's usually not because of the salary.

Great perks, poor management

ProsZynga is a fast-paced environment with lots of room for innovation. The employees are incredibly talented and the perks (free food, free gym, flexible hours, vacation time) are fantastic. Salaries are generous and the new executive team seems very competent.

ConsZynga is a company that grew too fast for its own good. Hiring was done at a rapid rate with no structure or long-term plan in place. The repercussions of this decision are starting to hit hard.

Middle management at Zynga is incredibly inexperienced, which results in lots of turmoil and very low team morale. You are expected to put in incredibly long hours, but you will not be rewarded for your work as this is the norm at Zynga. Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays.

Employees are constantly pressured to participate in social activities outside of work (normally drinking and partying) and you are branded "not a team player" if you choose to forego these activities. Its almost impossible to get raises, promotions or bonuses unless you rub shoulders with leadership.

"Be your own CEO" is one of Zynga's favorite ideals, but unfortunately, it's also the most destructive when combined with inexperienced management. When employees are left to fend for themselves and define their own roles, it results in ruthless politics and an "everyone for themselves" attitude. If you do not have the stomach for politics, stay away. You will not succeed here on hard work alone.

I believe that the new executive leadership will turn things around, but it is going to be a long, painful process.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get some structure in place and communicate it out to your employees. You have some very talented and loyal employees who are craving clear guidelines and competent management.

Good company to work for - if you're in the right group.

Lead Product Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Great, smart people
    - Fun-oriented culture
    - Fun products
    - Free food
    - Great for career growth (recruiters love ex-Zynga people)

Cons- Some groups are really cut-throat
    - Depending on the group, there may be way too much work, no work/life balance at all
    - Stock is in the dump and not clear if it'll ever recover

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 325 reviews posted anonymously by Zynga employees.