Zynga

Updated February 26, 2015
3.1

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, conservative leadership

Former Employee - Generalist Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Generalist Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great people, great benefits (food, gym, etc). Lots of responsibility but lots of freedom on the work itself.
    Heard lots of hate/horror stories about this place, but that depends dramatically on the team you're on. If possible, work on a new IP!

Cons

Some of the high level design decisions may seem a little myopic.
    May not be working on exactly the games you'd like to play yourself.

Focus on the core elements of successful games - you're not gonna make a hit by just being feature complete with the competitors.

good company

Current Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Feels good to be working here. Games apps etc

Cons

Tough deadlines. Wrap up quick

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the brightest talent in the world. Great perks.

Cons

Really poor work/life balance and constantly changing priorities.

woo hoo

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun place to work at

Cons

only give promotions to top producers.

reward the peons too.

Company Imploding Under Weight of Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Cool facilities. Generally friendly and competent co-workers, some with a great deal of experience and talent. A good place to work if you're a coder.

Cons

Original owner destroyed management structure by listening to sycopants and sharks. Ended up with a company dedicated to sucking the last nickel out of an ever-diminishing client-base and throwing other employees under the bus for personal advancement. Became functionally unable to release decent games or to give a game enough time to grow and find its audience. Began violently restructuring every 10 minutes. I wouldn't work here again until and unless they managed to release several new and interesting and successful games, and I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Fire yourselves. Start with an entire clean slate. Create groups with the authority to make and test and release games without going through the incredibly awful vetting process. Stop rewarding managers for destroying teams.

smart people, weird politics

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

smart people to work with

Cons

lots of big changes happening all the time.

When I worked there it was a great place to work. Just not as challenging and motivating as it used to be.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Good work/life balance, lots of perks, resonable PTO policy.

Cons

Redirecting and pivoting led to burnout on projects

Use small motivated teams to build products they care about

Wasn't always a great job, but they're a great employer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Two meals were catered every day, and special care was taken to accommodate anyone's dietary restrictions.

I worked in a room full of very experienced game developers from all walks of the industry, including a few legends from my childhood.

For the most part, everyone was friendly, helpful, and invested in helping you succeed. Even when the whole team is stuck in the office because your update keeps failing QA at midnight, they come to you to see how they can help, rather than complaining.

Zynga offers unlimited/untracked PTO for vacations and sick leave. Their official vacation policy was "You should probably take some." In an industry notorious for working developers to death, Zynga producers were known for pulling people aside and telling them to go away for a week or two for a vacation. And if a producer asks you to stay late to finish something, they'll sometimes offer you a day or two off in exchange. The whole office basically shuts down from before christmas through the new year.

Cons

Not a lot of original IP or creativity, in some aspects of their games. Also, the product managers are making game design decisions based solely on market statistics.

Try to keep on top of bonuses and and leveling up for your teams.

No concern for support staff

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Free food was pretty good

Cons

Worked as IT Support. Despite on boarding up to 200 people a week during my time, only 3 other hires were made for the support team. A total of 12 people. Management didn't care. No way to advance. I was explicitly told that there was no way to move to a different team and if I was unhappy to look elsewhere for a job. I did. Much happier now.

Baffling place to work

Former Employee - Senior Artist
    Former Employee - Senior Artist

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits
    "Free" breakfast, lunch & dinner
    Cool building
    New leadership (Mattrick) seems to know what it's doing and has implemented a plan to re-focus the company on it's core strengths before branching out into new territory. Upper management structure was also streamlined, removing unnecessary layers, etc.

Cons

Pay for artists is on the low side

Project level leadership is fickle at best. Project / design leaders frequently jump-ship to other projects that better suit their short term survival instincts, leaving the previous project in limbo until a new project/design leader steps in. The new leader invariably must leave his/her own stamp on the project so a re-design usually follows. Artists are constantly being shuffled from project to project.

Dog policy encourages many employees to become new dog owners. Many un-socialized and un-trained dogs roam around the office, barking, whining, peeing and pooing. Combined with the open floor plan, the racket is on par with Grand Central or JFK during the holidays.

Focus on your project leads, encourage or enforce a little more discipline and commitment. Your project and design leaders need to stick with it and see their projects through to launch. Invest more heavily in pre-production game design and prototyping. Stop second guessing your seasoned veterans (those few who are still there).