Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took(in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays(in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio(in 25 reviews)

Terrible culture, terrible people and a terrible product

QA Analyst I (Former Employee)

ProsFree food. Lots of cute puppies around.

ConsWhere to start? Upper management is inept. Games are clones of clones (well done clones, but still). Original thought is not wanted nor needed. Terrible terrible place to work at. The company has been suffering some serious brain drain over the past 3 years as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementWomen and children first. bail sailors, bail bail bail.

Clueless Monster

Customer Service Lead (Current Employee)

ProsA gaming giant inevitably - Who can forget FarmVille? Who doesn't know Country Escape?

ConsRecently it all came down to money. If it generates money - Retain. If it doesn't - Close. Politics is everywhere but for sure in this place its very intense. Meritocracy applies for favorites, not for performers. Most, if not all managers are clueless on what and how the frontliners are doing. They are merely email respondents telling to follow up a request.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some people from your other sites and or BPO partners! Learn how to appreciate and retain talent and value them!

Poor discusting

Prosno one sorry no compensation want of ever no - coworker experiences

Conswake up early for low money

Advice to Senior Managementkeep your self in college

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very bad, immature company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere really isn't a lot to say here, unfortunately.

ConsVery poor culture, talent, operations, and executive staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementReset everything. Great choice to remove Pincus.

Major dissatisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPerks: food, gym, shuttle, salary, stock options.

ConsPeople are out for themselves and will step on your back and even lie in order to advance. They are still learning how to develop games and the talent pool reflects that. Major title inflation, particularly at the studio and team leads level. Clique-ish in the extreme, particularly between management and individual contributors. Constant shifting of teams and priorities. Creativity takes a major back seat, despite recent efforts. Content is not innovative and is reskinned over and over. It's as if a bunch of recent ivy league grads jumped on an emerging market, succeeded, hired their friends and are now trying to dictate how to make sophisticated, AAA video games. They don't play games, they don't review games. All the perks in the world do not make up for these major shortcomings.

Advice to Senior ManagementC level management needs to clean house at the E and studio lead level.

there is nothing good about Zynga except for the compensation

Security Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosgood compensation is the only good thing. Except for that I don't find any other good thing about this job!!

Consnegative career growth ( the shitty management and politics will make you even forget your previous skills), inexperienced managers, not so knowledgable people left in the company anymore.

Advice to Senior Managementplease get some management skills and try to make sense!!

Mercenaries, not Missionaries

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBrilliant people who came from consulting, investment banking, and a wide range of experience. Compensation was nice, good facade of meritocracy, office had ample food and snacks. Gym was a plus. I went back recently and I thought to myself that the place looks nicer than when I left, which is odd since the company's stock value has gone down.

ConsNo work-life balance, terrible leadership, idiotic management who had rose through the ranks by bullying individuals and humiliating people. Turns out when the stock price goes sour, all of these people run for the hills because they were only in the zero-sum company for the gain they could take from others anyway. I think I learned bad habits here that I'll have to recover from - like thinking that everyone else is out to get you and to think that company politics is how all companies are run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up a little guys. Stop trying to over-manage things. Instead, try to embody the parts of the bay area that make startups powerful. Focus on new platforms and stop trying to optimize and milk your way to profitability. Instead, test, iterate quickly, and be like the initial Zynga, not the one it's become.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEmployees were great, honest, and funny..

ConsDifferent departments DO NOT work together at all. There is NO cooperation between different groups on even important projects.
    Do not expect direction or guidance from your manager, or even support.
    Managers do not create and implement effective policies or processes.
    No communication of important initiatives and programs company-wide.

There are massive lay-offs every year, and the best people are laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees on where the company is going, and what the long term strategy is, and how employees fir in.
    Mandate that teams work together.
    Communicate important initiatives and programs to all employees.
    Be

Worst company ever.

Associate Producer (Former Employee)

ProsThey paid well, and allow dogs at the office.

Cons12+ hour days are normal. You're ripping people off and you know it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being terrible.

Rarely felt appreciated, often felt exploited

Community Specialist - Hourly (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYour coworkers are super smart, talented, and motivated. Great perks, including great health insurance and free lunch and dinner. Your dog can chill with you at work, or, if you don't have a dog, you can probably borrow a coworker's!

ConsWhile the perks are nice, it does not make up for the fact that, unless you are a developer or product manager, your salary may not even be competitive.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!