Zynga

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great in some ways, lacking in others

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Zynga

Pros

- Exceptionally open culture
    - Great data infrastructure
    - Lots of smart people and a hip office make for a fun work environment
    - Good career growth and mobility

Cons

- Tough place to get groundbreaking products off ground
    - Hampered by early success in some ways as it's hard for new ideas to start from the ground up
    - Work/life balance can be difficult to achieve, but varies by group
    - Lots of "best practices" make the company slower than before

Focus more on the "fun" part of game design and be careful with making the place too bureaucratic as it may sap creativity and innovation.

Sr. software engineer (build & release)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

fun workplace; pure start-up culture; new technologies

Cons

no care to employee
    no work/life balance

leave if you can

Starving the Golden Goose

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Lots of variety of games to work on, some GREAT people there, wonderful talent. I loved the dogs all around, it really made it fun to be there, especially during crunch time. Decent pay for the region, great free food, great teams. Clean neat environment. TEAMS were great, lots of autonomy. Very good "flex time" policies. Yes, GREAT FOOD. Nice in-house gym.

Cons

I have a particular sore spot with the so-called "meritocracy" shell game.

Sure, there WERE deserving people who did over and above the call of duty, and deserved recognition, and the "level-up" was great for them. BUT.... it's easy to "level-up" if the company has an established policy of downgrading your position when you start a new project to a lesser title! I found out by accident that this had happened to me, when I noticed that my job description on my pay stub was not what I was hired for. When I questioned it, first it was described as an error that would soon be corrected. Two months later it was "wait until the end of quarter when we change all the new titles". More weeks waiting it was "sorry, that's just what it is". Then a couple months later, "sorry, that title (the one I was HIRED with!) has a higher pay scale and would need approval." HUH? My HIRED description has a higher pay scale than the downgraded one I discovered I had been labeled with? It took multiple directors standing behind me to restore my original title, and many months. And no, my pay scale was never corrected.

And I found out that I was one of many who had discovered themselves downgraded in position when they started new projects -- but they were mostly too intimidated to speak up.

Stick to your promises. Never NEVER ask an employee to give back a hiring perk / bonus / stock options! Respect the titles you hired them with. (If you needed and "bought" a Land Rover, but later you just need it to deliver newspapers door to door, you STILL OWN A LAND ROVER, you're just choosing to use it for simpler jobs. For now.)

Didn't deliver on the promise

Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great Benefits, cool office, great food.

Cons

Product strategy is broken as they cancel more games than they release. Business thinking drives too much of the new product development and they end up with uninspiring fast-follow clones that they end up cancelling. This takes a toll on the creative people that they desperately need to be inspired. A good deal of the best people I worked with here have since left.

Find the balance between business and creative ideas.

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great benefits and a strong culture, plus competitive pay.

Cons

Work-life balance is a struggle to maintain

Great teams, tired games

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is good. Currently my work life balance is solid (though there were several bad months last year). I genuinely love working here; headaches and all. As soon as management chooses one path for more than a month in a row, I will raise my ratings to 5 stars.

Cons

Coming from mainstream gaming, the Social game creation at Zynga was a surprise. Things have changed in the last year, but when 10+ years of game design experience was overruled by a rookie MBA Product Manager, I seriously questioned my decision to join. However, my new PMs are great and respect flows both ways. The trick is getting with the good ones and avoiding the bad ones.

Pick a direction and let us execute on it. Quit pivoting, please.

A company that made good on it's position to promote from within

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

You can work your way up in your own field, or even jump fields if you can prove yourself. There is a strong team feeling, and regular attempts to bring attention to people who were going the extra mile for the team. I have heard my managers making sure I have taken off enough time than be concerned with how much time I'm taking off. They want to keep their employees from burning out and make a concerted effort to encouraging a healthy work life balance as opposed to the 60+ hour weeks start ups are known for. Also, there benefits are awesome.

Cons

The company has changed over the years, which means you will find pockets of managers that don't follow the current direction of the company. Similarly games are often compared to the hits, so inexperienced managers try to push for hit numbers before their product is strong enough to support it.

enjoyed my time there

I worked at Zynga as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, free food, massages, acupuncture, reflexology, exciting company quarterly parties
    Fun people
    Felt like I was part of something growing

Cons

Your experience could vary enormously based on your role and your team, and how that fits into the company's priorities
    Many people look overworked

Great in every way.

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food
    Nice Employees
    Atmospher is good.

Cons

Big company.
    Back breaking supervisors.

Get more intimate the employees.

Fun working on new game, not fun working on established game

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the time the benefits were pretty good and the salary was nice. I met a lot of cool people working there at the time.

Cons

Working on well-established games is not fun. The code base is terrible and the amount of influence you will have as a programmer is 0.
    Working on a new game they made promises they couldn't keep regarding bonuses. Mislead us to believe our game would be a hit but it was actually the largest failure in Zynga history.