Zynga Reviews

Reset

1. Lead Artist

Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing campus life with all the amenities. The production staff are top quality and believe in the art of making games.

Cons

CEO and other senior management have fumbled time and time again trying to make the company relevant. Lots of pivoting on game ideas without any confidence in the projects. Is turning more in to a money making business than a creative business.

Good Experience

I worked at Zynga (More than a year)

Pros

Professional environment. People I worked with were great.

Cons

Not really a startup company anymore, have to deal with bureaucracy but not anymore than any other company this size.

3. Zynga, Frustrating...

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had great benefits and free lunch/dinner. Our New York Studio had great work environment and location, all due to having a great studio head.

Cons

Way too much politics at corporate level and department level. During my time at Zynga, there was lots of turmoil in all levels company which made things stressful.

5. Great people but poor management

Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are so talented and wonderful. I loved working with my teammates and learned a lot from them. The benefits are also great, free food, gym, quite a bit of workshops. They are pretty relaxed about your daily working hours. As long as you get things done, it's all good.

Cons

Upper management is pretty poor. There seems to be a disconnect between team leaders and the executive level. There isn't a lot of transparency. Art is not a priority at this company. Designers are not very good here, imo. Many of their unsuccessful games failed because of poor gameplay. Zynga does not innovate at all.

Advice to Management

Start innovating new prototypes and stop copying other games. Don't put so much emphasis on data. Hire better designers that actually make good games. Don't skimp on the art because art is what captures the audience first.

6. Good job experience

Pros

good employers, excellent work space, I had a very good experience here

Cons

it is a very high stress workplace, very competitive within employer workplace

Advice to Management

get more usefull interns, with more experience and more energy

7. Head of Mobile Advertising

Current Employee - Head of Mobile Advertising and Partnerships in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Dynamic, Smart people- good community

Cons

Slow entry to mobile- lost ability to monetize paid players

8. A lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Have opportunities to work on different part of the system end to end.

Cons

Unable to attract new talents. Cannot make good games. Too matrices focused and missed other opportunities. Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Advice to Management

Need better game designer and gamer dna

great pay, but a soul sucking place to work for creative talent

Former Employee - Artist/Animator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist/Animator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga (More than a year)

Pros

very casual environment and easy work. Lots of food, snack, and treats provided if your game makes them money. Its totally out of your control if your game makes money, but if it happens to make a ton you get all kinds of goodies. I recommend it only to friends because its easy and good money.

Cons

You have to abandon any real pride at the door if you are an artist and work here. The pay is great and the work and workload is easy, but the games you work on are hideous, the gameplay is bad, and dont try and change anything because everyone in charge thinks what they are working on is the most amazing and stunning thing ever, its kind of hilarious. Draw your pizza, cows, trees in the bland clipart style they demand, and you will be fine. Its also a total brofest working there, lots of graphic designers and failed animators masking as illustrators with art directors that have no actual artistic talent, immediately realized that is why things look the way they do with anything zynga does. Any talent is repressed and its kinda tragic to see someone new with actual skills take charge only to get knocked down and return to whats easy. Every game while working there was just ripping off another studios game, then thinking of the way to make the most money till users lost interest and then the game team would close up and get outsourced while you moved on to the next boring thing. I had some amazing artists that went on to do stunning work at other companies, but zynga beats you down so you just stop caring and do what the boss wants.

Advice to Management

Focus on creativity and hire some talented people to lead. Make games that are actually fun and you wont have to stress out every month about why people are not spending enough money on add-on junk for a bad game.

Product Managers are treated like Gods here

Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked at Zynga for over 6 years I was able to see the quick rise of the company until where it stood when I left. Things move fast at Zynga and with that you're exposed to a lot of things. Employees are encouraged to develop their own processes, create innovative ways to produce content faster, smarter, and more efficient. Everyone has access to the wealth of knowledge and tools to deep dive into the company's analytics, making this company a great place to start your foundation in data analytics and reporting.

Cons

If you're looking to work for a game company this is probably not the place you want to be. Zynga is a game company last and a data company first. You may find yourself scratching your head wondering why many business decisions are made when it clearly goes against any principles of game design and logic. The company aims to be profitable first rather than build fun games first, followed by profit. Product Managers dictate the entire landscape of this company, that may be a good thing if you're a Product Manager. This causes problems because every decision is driven by one group's ideals and not for the good of the product, engineering input is only second to Product Management and designers are last.

Advice to Management

Management is very poor at taking care of their employees when migrating between projects/teams. During my 6 years at Zynga I was given the privilege to work with many game teams spanning across all the genres of the company. The downside to this was that the management and game teams failed to transfer any knowledge from one team to another. This caused a major problem for myself and many folks throughout the company because we would then have to build new foundations with new teams even though we were senior employees.

Director of Global player experience

Current Employee - Director of Global Player Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Global Player Experience in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Design and complexity of games with established franchise winners.

Cons

Focus needed on player experience,me specially in the global market place.

RSS Feed </> Embed