Zynga Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 55 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 41 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

A Bachelor’s in Business Politics

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to staff some of the best minds in the business to learn and work with. Now a great place to be working in the industry if you believe the game part of games takes a back seat to business priorities. A data lover's dream. Great perks and benefits including a great vacation policy. If you find the time to use it..

Cons

A constraining place to work in a creative capacity…all of it stifled by business priorities. Zynga saw a gradual migration of employees from other industry conglomerates shortly after their big game success who now occupy the upper management ranks. They brought much of the politics they claimed to run from with them. Other company leaders wised up and left long ago. Employees must have worked directly with these managers or risk being layoff targets.

They hire for the job, not the employee except in very specific cases and job functions (seen them cut top tier engineers but not mediocre product/market analysts). If your game starts failing management will see you as fat to be trimmed rather than investigate whether you were one of the few actively keeping an imminent disaster from happening until it was impossible to prevent. A disaster management probably caused.

Management did not exercise any professional means of evaluating employees during my time, and in many cases looked to an employee's prior reputation in the industry. It is why the last layoffs in January were done shoddily to save a few dollars and lost most of the top talent not networked with the upper management regime. Now they struggle to retain the remaining true talented employees and many left since the last layoffs.

After they realized the cuts were too deep trying to satisfy the Street, I was called weeks later with an offer for my old job and it took serious restraint not to hang up.

Letting go of what they need to satisfy ultra short term business goals is characteristic of the company. There was concern when they replaced the CEO with someone even more conservative and money-minded. After seeing no change in management or investors I share the concerns of my former coworkers.

Take more responsibility but take more risks too.

Great place thats needs a little more direction

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart bright people willing to execute and push hard to deliver on time.

Cons

Management leadership is lacking due to experience.

Hire industry veterans to drive the very capable engineering staff.

Fun and frustrating place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive compensation, excellent food, talented co-workers, rapid knowledge sharing and potential for great opportunities made this an amazing job overall.

Cons

the few downsides were - meritocracy was broken from the perspective of an employee that endured a tough work life balance on multiple projects without much opportunity for advancement. Painful to watch executive management during my time there. Products that lacked originality in more than one case. Team direction pivoted so much it was often hard to move forward - ironic because it really was a fast paced environment.

Keep focusing on franchises but go after a truly original and innovative game idea every once in a while.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty okay but could be better

Former Employee - QA Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Zynga as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Free lunches and food
    - Fast paced enviroment
    - Good people

Cons

- Lots of company politics
    - Not very stable business model

Not sure there is much to say here. Zynga is built on free-to-play which to me is not a long term business model.

Fantastic, fun company, takes care of top talent.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zynga prided itself on growing young employees into incredible talent. Employees were evaluated and rewarded on a quarterly basis. Normally, this was done with stock and cash bonuses. Nowadays, there's a more structured system for reviewing employees, where the old days would give bigger reward pools to teams doing well.

Cons

Like any game company, Zynga is a hit driven business. When your game team is doing well, you were rewarded. When your team isn't making money, games were sunset. In the early days, there were late hours and weekend work, but most of Zynga's new game teams are well managed and structure their schedules for a much more healthy balance.

Getting much better

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, new leadership with a plan, lots of opportunity, good work-life balance with necessary crunch times, agile and experienced teams to collaborate with.

Cons

Still some uncertainty, data driven tactics limit creative risks

Focus on a clear roadmap and stick to it. Give employees stability. Foster an "I could retire here" feeling to stand out in the industry and attract top veteran talent.

Not for everyone, but has been great for me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My current team is awesome. The company cut a lot of the fat (not all) and I landed on a team with veterans from the game industry. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym, showers, and team offsites. Time-off is flexible as long as employees work it out with their team for full timers. Compensation has been restructured - it's way more fair than before and teams that haven't launched or who do not create games have compensation opportunities. My work life balance is perfect right now (although it wasn't always that way). Most importantly, the management on my team is AMAZING. My boss is the best I've ever had and is helping me grow in my career as a game maker (not just a Zynga employee).

Cons

Going from start up to a corporate game company was very rough for everyone we've been through a lot of growing pains. When I started, much of the management was very young and inexperienced so they didn't know how to make the transition work. We are still recovering from teams being run by business people and not by game makers who understand the business (albeit it is improving). We lost some great talent from the layoffs, but tbh, many would have left anyway. Several people that have left have moved from start up to start up and get nostalgic about this place, so it really depends on an individuals experience. While some managers are amazing, there are still others that are terrible (but with a company this large, of course it isn't perfect, even though there is no excuse for it). Zynga is a great place to be or the worst depending on who's POV you ask.

Give more autonomy and ownership to your teams. Focus on making fun games FIRST and then layer on the money making levers second. People will buy a great game for it's intrinsic value. Enforce personal growth opportunities and be okay with employees who just want to kick butt in their current level of work, AND reward them both.

Great company to work!

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work culture with full of fun. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym.

Poor discusting

I have been working at Zynga part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

no one sorry no compensation want of ever no - coworker experiences

Cons

wake up early for low money

keep your self in college

Very bad, immature company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There really isn't a lot to say here, unfortunately.

Cons

Very poor culture, talent, operations, and executive staff.

Reset everything. Great choice to remove Pincus.

Zynga Photos

Dog friendly
The Ville Team
IPO Morning
zcasino

+ Add Photo

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!