Zynga

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Zynga India - synonym for Favoritism, Nepotism, Corruption

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Food. Good enough facilities. Amiable security staff (nothing else to write !!)

Cons

In Zynga India HR and ceratain bosses has the ultimate say against any reason & justification. haughty and ludicrous HR top. Top notch favoritism. Shameless mouth-blabbering wins over dedication and skill. Corruption in art-outsourcing. The manager who initiated large amount art-outsourcing to certain indian companies draws huge amounts from them as fringe-benefit, monthly. preposterous country manager.

Basicaly The top bosses wants to pocket as much dollars as possible from USA, while all this lasts. This is a place for mouth-blabbers, smart-talkers and shameless butt-kissers. Not a place for skilled folks who consider there careers important.

Enjoy your life. But remember, if you are unethical and rotten to your subordinates , it reflects everywhere, even to yourself. Why this life?

Food is the only good thing

Former Employee - N/A in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - N/A in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Zynga full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good food. Good compensation. There is nothing else good about Zynga.

Cons

The HR has control over everything that happens at Zynga.
    Performance does not matter
    Way too much office politics
    Career growth takes a backseat
    Contract employees are treated like crap
    The money and employees are underutilized.
    Its a sinking ship and nothing is being done to revive it.
    Very unorganised in general.

Come up with new better and creative games and not just improvise on the same old existing games.
    There s way too much money spent on keeping the employees enterained which is a waste sometimes.

Zynga is for people who like to lick the boots of HR & know to blow their trumpet well...

Former Employee - QA Role in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - QA Role in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food, Food, nothing much to mention about

Cons

>> Attitude of HR [Big heads] as Appraisal, Perks & Compensation is in their Hands. Never seen a company like this before.
       Its like supreme power given to Monkeys, their experience & Maturity level is way below their knees. Professionalism, Culture & Ethics is absolutely shitty.
    >> Only people who lick HR boots get good hikes & perks, all other dedicated employees are ignored.
    >> Not a place for prompt, disciplined, silent & smart workers.
    >> HR promises many things while offering, hardly keep such promises.

>> Try to recognise people with open mindedness. Dont presume things & reward people of your choice.
    >> All that glitters is not Gold, recognise individual's contribution towards work than their licking/boasting capabilities.
    >> Stop playing with people's career. Day is not too far where everyone will witness the ship sinking.
    >> Follow the 3M rule: Effective utilisation of Men, Material & Money - Core thing missing in Zynga [Colossal waste of 3M].

There are much better companies to work for in the area

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are still some good people working for the outfit, so if you are an intern it may be a good way to get industry experience. Otherwise it's a dead end job with a company that is going nowhere fast.

Cons

The company is a true and honest sweatshop. Zynga is not an innovator, but a replicator. If you consider yourself creative you have no business working for the company. It's all abou aping other people's games and making a quick buck while you are at it. This is not a sustainable long-term plan, the financials and the stock price show it. Zynga is stingy with salaries and "generous" with stock, that happens to drop like a rock.

Pincus should let someone who knows what they are doing run the company. He is clearly not up to the task, nor are any of his lieutenants. Unfortunately, he would rather drive the company into the ground because of his ego.

Management needs improving

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, good benefits, can bring your dog to work, has many guest speakers. Excluding management you'll get to work with a lot of talented people.

Cons

Every project I've been on has had a team of amazing talented people to work with, but unfortunately it's the complete opposite for management. Poor management decisions leads to unnecessary crunch time and constantly having to redo old work. With the consistent poor leadership of those in charge, I'm honestly surprised Zynga can ever finish a game.

I've been on a project where we had a manager harass, lie, and make unnecessary remarks to several people on the team. The entire team that worked under him let his bosses know about the problems he was causing and he ended up getting promoted.

If you're good at office politics then you'll thrive at Zynga, otherwise stay far, far away and save yourself the stress and headaches.

If a team of people have problems with their manager, don't ignore them, even if you're friends with the person that's causing them.

Have a trained psychologist screen future managers for psychopathic traits before promoting them to upper management.

Oh god, just don't.

Former Employee - Lead Artist
    Former Employee - Lead Artist

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I guess they feed you every day.

Cons

The food's not that good.

Waiting for the Apocalypse

Current Employee - Decline to State in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun start-up culture and perks but honestly, it's a waste of money.

Cons

Management at many levels is confused or misdreicted. Ever changing focus and intiatives. Cronyism is rampant. Lack of transparency. Never saw a review the whole time I was here and most of my one-on-one meetings w manger were cancelled, then he left the company about 8 months after he hired me. Currently working on my exit strategyu, actually, Iahve it already, just enjoying the view as Rome burns.

Get some grown-ups in charge, consider selling massive re-org and lay-offs no doubt must be coming.

Fine until you burn out

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of great people, interesting projects

Cons

50-60h weeks with no time off and the occasional week on-call with around the clock alerts WILL result in you burning out. When I joined the recruiter told me about how people are encouraged to take time off between projects, but the reality is when you get ahead on a project they pile up more work for you. It doesn't matter how hard you work to get ahead, they still just pile up more. All this delays your project so at the end of the quarter you barely make your deadline; then the next quarter and the next project comes up. After 16 months I finally gave up and left, having had not a single day off (I was on call for many of the holidays as well). They didn't even pay me for my two weeks of legally mandated vacation I never got to take, the cheap bastards. Few career opportunities for engineers unless you want to become a manager. Worthless equity that's a risky tax liability. If you have any sort of marketable technical skill and drive, then Zynga is probably a waste of your time.

You mean well but end up treating people like you're the only employer in San Francisco and they have no alternatives.

Not a good company.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good perks. Free food. In the city. Dog friendly.

Cons

Long hours. Boring work. Inefficient process. High turn over. Very bad tech. Politics. Ineffective management.

With the stock price at 3 dollars, managers have their own issues.

Too many undelivered promises

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food
    Smart people

I was working on one of the "ville" games and I thought it was going to be a lot more interesting given how many millions of users we had.

Cons

Zero passion about the games
    Grueling hours - my manager made me cancel a family vacation once
    Very narrow scope and responsibilities
    Hug team size plummeting stock price - I was told by the recruiter that we should expect $100 stock price a year after IPO. There should be a law against this.

Remove Mark as CEO and put someone in his place that actually cares about the products they make.
    Smaller teams and more achievable deadlines.