Zynga

www.zynga.com
Profile Unclaimed

It is a great place to be.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zynga part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great hours Everyone is great to work with the games like Mafia Wars,Mafia Wars2,CafeWorld etc.

Cons

The games at times freeze or just not load

Treat your employees like equals

Excellent, process-driven employer.

Current Employee - Producer
    Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

Respect for employees, relentless push for excellence, and a clear understanding of expectations.

Cons

Sometimes, our ambitions get the best of us, resulting in some longer-than-expected work hours, but that's entirely employee-driven on my team.

A startup in big company clothing.

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits ad health insurance.
    If you can meaningfully move numbers that affect the business, you will be recognized and rewarded.
    You're allowed and encouraged to set your own agenda and do things your own way.

Cons

If you're not able to set your own agenda and find things to do that are awesome without direction, you won't do well.
    It still has the feel of a startup. Expect to work long hours.
    One of the big selling points of working here is the quarterly bonuses and stock grants. Considering the poor performance of the IPO, neither of those are turning out to be as significant as was promised.
    If you CAN'T find ways to quantify and measure your work, it's likely to get overlooked even if you ARE doing good work.

Don't get so buried in numbers that you forget the human element. Keep an eye on the long term.

Possitive

Former Contractor - Programmer
    Former Contractor - Programmer

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Your work counts. Millions of people play the game or user the feature you wrote. Failure is tolerated and never punished. You can actually learn from your mistakes. Compensation is better then in any other company I have ever worked for. Benefits are amazing. Vacation, time off, dogs at work, catered lunch and dinner, gym membership, transportation to and from work is free. Financial bonuses are substantial.

Cons

Very long hours and very stressful work. More so then any other game company I worked for. No ownership of work. You work as if on an assembly line. Working on feature after feature with no end in sight. Features are designed by Project Managers that have no clue what they're doing.

Management has no idea why Zynga is making the money it does. Focus on games for women. Most of your players are female. Pay attention to your community managers. They are in touch with the players and know what makes a game successful. Reduce the number of Project Managers. They detract from productivity, by asking for features that do not contribute to the success of a game. Do not get into on-line gambling. You're going to lose employees.

fun and good food

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

fun and good career opportunities.

Cons

social game industry changes fast.

Big company that still thinks its a startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment, lots of perks, many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Poor Work/Life Balance. Long Hours

Re-evaluate middle-managers that have been promoted quickly.

The best place I've ever worked.

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Challenges and opportunities that you won't find anywhere else right now. A chance to work with smart, dedicated, dynamic, fun people. A great workplace. No formal vacation policy -- if you need time off, you take time off. An opportunity to create stuff that millions of people all over the world will enjoy.

Cons

Fast growing and chaotic. Things change quickly. Big company but still is like a start-up in a lot of ways. If you like things predictable and steady, this is not the place for you.

Zynga is a fast-paced and rewarding company.

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Challenging, fast-paced issues to tackle every day and almost everyone here is committed to what we're doing. The compensation and perks are excellent (free food, massages, gym), fun teams and opportunities to learn.

Cons

Sometimes finding myself working more hours than I intended. It's a competitive environment with lots of young people - which is a con from a personal perspective because it takes more effort to stand out.

Once the massive stock apple goes away I think people will evaluate competitive opportunities. Zynga needs to create a work environment that is sustainable so people don't get burned out and leave.

Hard but fulfilling work

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Career growth- you will learn a lot as you are pushed outside of your comfort zone. You will work with some of the brightest people in the game and internet industries. You will be surrounded by entrepreneurs. Great perks and the hours are no longer unreasonable. 8-10 hours is average on most teams in most roles except the <10% who are crunching for a game release for a month or so. The food is fantastic and the new office is great.

Cons

It's hard work so it's not for everyone. Some teams have better managers than others. Company strategy could be communicated better. You will stick out and be pushed out if you are a low performer.

More regular communication of company strategy. I have faith in the leadership every level of the company is not as informed as they could be.

A great place for smart, driven people who care

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

If you can think it, you can do it at Zynga. It's fast-paced and fun. There are loads of perks, including free health care and a generous vacation policy (no policy - take time when you need it). Easy access to top management even with 3,000 employees. It's open and flexible here. You can do your best work at Zynga.

Cons

The environment encourages achievement and hard work -- bettering your best. It's not for everyone. Those not prepared for this, could be challenged.

Keep the open and honest format and feedback.