Zynga Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Sr. software engineer (build & release)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

fun workplace; pure start-up culture; new technologies

Cons

no care to employee no work/life balance

Advice to Management

leave if you can

Terrible culture

Former Employee - QE Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - QE Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ Rich in benefits. free massages. free food. free coffee + unlimited vacation policy + Be you own CEO (you plan and execute). You get to learn alot on your own and learn what you are truly made of. + quarterly reviews and bonuses

Cons

- Upper management takes 0% blames, 200% credits - that's because they provide no directions. they rely you to be CEO. when things fail, you are at fault. When things succeed, somehow, one of the execs will proudly take your MVP and level-ups. go figure. - Terrible central QA team - they don't know what they are doing. terrible unskilled directors/managers lead to terrible QA team. doesn't understand the meaning of QA. can't deliver. - discussion making solely on data. no brains usage. which led to poor planning (kill and launch the wrong games).

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to play more their zynga games. be a customer and feel the product. if you don't like the game, what makes your customers like your games.

3. Baffling place to work

Former Employee - Senior Artist
    Former Employee - Senior Artist

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits "Free" breakfast, lunch & dinner Cool building New leadership (Mattrick) seems to know what it's doing and has implemented a plan to re-focus the company on it's core strengths before branching out into new territory. Upper management structure was also streamlined, removing unnecessary layers, etc.

Cons

Pay for artists is on the low side Project level leadership is fickle at best. Project / design leaders frequently jump-ship to other projects that better suit their short term survival instincts, leaving the previous project in limbo until a new project/design leader steps in. The new leader invariably must leave his/her own stamp on the project so a re-design usually follows. Artists are constantly being shuffled from project to project. Dog policy encourages many employees to become new dog owners. Many un-socialized and un-trained dogs roam around the office, barking, whining, peeing and pooing. Combined with the open floor plan, the racket is on par with Grand Central or JFK during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Focus on your project leads, encourage or enforce a little more discipline and commitment. Your project and design leaders need to stick with it and see their projects through to launch. Invest more heavily in pre-production game design and prototyping. Stop second guessing your seasoned veterans (those few who are still there).

No concern for support staff

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Free food was pretty good

Cons

Worked as IT Support. Despite on boarding up to 200 people a week during my time, only 3 other hires were made for the support team. A total of 12 people. Management didn't care. No way to advance. I was explicitly told that there was no way to move to a different team and if I was unhappy to look elsewhere for a job. I did. Much happier now.

Placate them with Money, Trips, Food & Swag

Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

-great networking -amazing food, snacks, drinks, and a bar downstairs -a social place with lots of clubs and events -lots of swag -nice building -a gym -excellent health benefits -massages and acupuncture, nutritionist -good IT dept. to fix issues -community service that actually talks to customers of games and seems to care. -dog friendly

Cons

-i felt like i was being placated with all of the pros listed above to distract me from incredible intellectual boredom. -uninspired game making. jobs are so compartmentalized that the work is dry and boring. -office culture very competitive and at times people are willing to throw you under the bus to get ahead. sure, competitiveness is pretty standard at most companies, but when you are surrounded by competitve people all day who are gunning for your job, it gets tiring. i felt that coworkers were more concerned about themselves, their features, their titles and title progression and awards rather than the teamwork and products we were making. -a number of incidents of backroom deals for promotions that led to HR advertising to the entire company the jobs available. -i witnessed an art director ask every single male on the team for character design ideas except for the three women on the team who were just as equally skilled as the males. -little care expressed for your career development, which seems pretty counterproductive for the company and keeping talent around. -feels corporate (meetings, meetings to discuss meetings, etc), numerous e mails about setting up calendars and oh what a fantastic job so and so did setting up the calendar... gah! -some people I worked with seemed utterly useless. i sat next to someone who texted and surfed the internet all day and yet still managed to hold down a job. another guy had a bottle of whiskey next to his desk, which he drank all day and left at 2:00 unannounced. He also managed to keep his job. totally don't get how some of these people can stay under the radar. -stock = a complete waste. empty promises. MP and a handful of people made a ton of money while the rest of us were given empty promises. -never once saw a style guide for any game, lead artists non communicative, art teams were very dysfunctional -work-life balance completely out of whack. I felt like if I didn't put in a 10-12 hour day I wasn't contributing. -HR department can be downright rude. not everyone, but some definite stand outs. -Parking is a serious issue. Company refused to address it. I would have gladly traded in my free food and swag for a parking spot or a van carpool from across town. -I became sick with the flu right before a free trip for our efforts and couldn't go. Next pay check $1000 was taken out as "punishment". When I complained and even got a dr. note, the money was put back into the next check. I thought the trip was a reward for all of my hard work? -Some employees actually got fleas from coworkers dogs! That's terrible but also amusing - maybe dogs should have a note from the vet or something. -when i told the nutritionist that i was a vegetarian, she expressed deep concern because i might not be getting enough protein which would make me tired at my desk. LOL

7. Management is really bad

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Smart co workers and some fun people

Cons

Most people work themselves to death and the managers reward them for it, if you don't work 80 hour weeks you get looked down upon and excluded

Advice to Management

Rework your entire management structure and company culture, it sucks

Stay clear!

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Food, Rich in benefits. free massages. free food. free coffee + unlimited vacation policy

Cons

First, I am not a bitter X employee. I left on my own terms after 6 months and ran like the wind. Prior to joining this organization, I was told by several X co-workers to stay away. I wanted to learn on my own. Sure, you can bring your dog, they offer 3 free meals a day, have a cool gym, and an open vacation policy. Taking a day off is nearly impossible given the amount of guilt and pressure they put on you. They aren't making any new games and their direction changes daily. Change is good in tech, however, this place changes way too much and causes fear among employees. The exec team and their EA’s have some attitude like they are the hot place to be. They need to get over themselves given the state of the company and a stock price at $2 a share! There is a head EA that is bulldog that can’t be trusted. She told one of the EA’s on my group that if they don’t do things her way they will be gone. The CEO is not well rated but to be fair the original founder destroyed management and was not well liked. Zynga had its day – stay clear of this joint and the exec team. It’s falling apart at the seams. There are SO many other great places in the valley to settle for this place. This place is an outside recruiter’s playground!

Advice to Management

Start over with entire new exec team

Huge Transition

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

Great talent Terrific original IP With the right management in place this company could ROCK

Cons

Too much thrash at the C level. Earlier leaders forces teams to compete against each other Too much change in too short of time Staff is managed by fear Alot of good talent lost.

Advice to Management

Select new Executive team CAREFULLY...and give them a huge runway.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zynga was in the right place at the right time to benefit from the explosive growth and viral marketing of Facebook. They had spectacular success up until 2012 despite tedious, uninspired game designs.

Cons

The company exists to enrich the founder and his friends, management cannot be trusted because they are focused on their own needs, not the needs of rank and file employees. The company's rapid success attracted a bunch of phonies and posers who were only there for a quick payday. Massive brain drain due to the stock's collapse has robbed them of most of their talent. The company was built around Facebook gaming, now that mobile has eclipsed Facebook and Flash is pretty much dead, Zynga has been unable to transition to mobile as well as more nimble companies.

Advice to Management

You are not as smart as you think you are.

Horribly abusive managers, inconsistent personal reviews, highly critical of personal life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food Gym onsite Parking Health benefits Hardware Employee events Giants suite

Cons

Appalling behavior from executives and senior leaders Lots of favoritism and nepotism to determine who gets bonuses - not based on merit Inconsistent planning for the future, misleading speeches from execs Lots of layoffs Huge egos and snarky attitudes Unprofessional comments, lots of criticism 24/7 Long hours (early mornings and late nights) only to prove oneself - need to stay even if your work is done Expected to come in when sick Lots of rotation with managers (5 in 3 years) Work through the holidays Micromanaged Dishonest leadership Crappy games that launch prematurely Lying to investors Terrible customer service for fans/players No care for audience, pure greed to take money from players Horrible pay

Advice to Management

Quit

RSS Feed </> Embed