Zynga Reviews

Currently at Z-town

Current Employee - CA - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CA - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity to fix things, great perks (love the food!), fun company culture, and love having an on-site gym.

Cons

However, some of the negative aspects are around the financial health and longevity of the company, change in management and direction, and lack of resources.

Advice to Management

Continue to get GREAT games out, invest in the people (training goes a long way), and pay fairly (there are other options in SF...).

You are well cared of, but might need to really stand out to ger promoted or advance

Former Employee - QA Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

- You got free lunch and dinner ( and food is okay too)
    - Perks and swags are abundannt, and if oyu like showing off your company then by all means wear it
    - Facility is very nice. you have a Gamer feel type of environment. There are also a lot of free services available (Last time i worked)
    - Benefits are okay

Cons

- Gets very busy and will have no time to enjoy the free amenities the company provides
    - It's really who you know and not what you know ( I got screwed by my pay and bonuses/raises. never got one on my whole 3 years working there even when I worked my butt off)
    - With the company being that big, its hard to really stand out and be recognized. You really need to get along with everyone. If you have one person that doesnt like you, that's one negative points for you.Again, It's all who you know and what you know.

Advice to Management

Really take care of your employees. See through it to have their quarterly review. are met and any hard work is well compensated or rewarded.

Nice perks

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- nice perks including free meals, snakes etc.
    - good place to learn game development

Cons

- management lost vision since IPO and bad execution after IPO too.

Advice to Management

need figure out how to keep users

Revolving Door of Executives

Former Employee - Worker Bee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Worker Bee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Food, Great people, you can bring your dog to work. Fantastic basement gym. Onsite Massage. Any snack you want.

Cons

Grueling hours for most employees. The stock offering was a plane wreck. Low pay for non-management roles. On-site useless 'health and wellness' practices of acupuncture and reflexology. The executives who are giving those big, flashy presentations on how to course-correct the company? Don't really listen to them because they won't be there for long. In a few months they will be gone, probably leaving much richer.

Advice to Management

Management can't choose a good plan and stick to it. The major players of the company always leave, so no plan will be adhered to.

Stay clear!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Food, Rich in benefits. free massages. free food. free coffee
    + unlimited vacation policy

Cons

First, I am not a bitter X employee. I left on my own terms after 6 months and ran like the wind. Prior to joining this organization, I was told by several X co-workers to stay away. I wanted to learn on my own. Sure, you can bring your dog, they offer 3 free meals a day, have a cool gym, and an open vacation policy. Taking a day off is nearly impossible given the amount of guilt and pressure they put on you.

They aren't making any new games and their direction changes daily. Change is good in tech, however, this place changes way too much and causes fear among employees. The exec team and their EA’s have some attitude like they are the hot place to be. They need to get over themselves given the state of the company and a stock price at $2 a share! There is a head EA that is bulldog that can’t be trusted. She told one of the EA’s on my group that if they don’t do things her way they will be gone.

The CEO is not well rated but to be fair the original founder destroyed management and was not well liked.

Zynga had its day – stay clear of this joint and the exec team. It’s falling apart at the seams. There are SO many other great places in the valley to settle for this place. This place is an outside recruiter’s playground!

Advice to Management

Start over with entire new exec team

7. Management is really bad

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Smart co workers and some fun people

Cons

Most people work themselves to death and the managers reward them for it, if you don't work 80 hour weeks you get looked down upon and excluded

Advice to Management

Rework your entire management structure and company culture, it sucks

8. Great people, conservative leadership

Former Employee - Generalist Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Generalist Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great people, great benefits (food, gym, etc). Lots of responsibility but lots of freedom on the work itself.
    Heard lots of hate/horror stories about this place, but that depends dramatically on the team you're on. If possible, work on a new IP!

Cons

Some of the high level design decisions may seem a little myopic.
    May not be working on exactly the games you'd like to play yourself.

Advice to Management

Focus on the core elements of successful games - you're not gonna make a hit by just being feature complete with the competitors.

Company Imploding Under Weight of Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Cool facilities. Generally friendly and competent co-workers, some with a great deal of experience and talent. A good place to work if you're a coder.

Cons

Original owner destroyed management structure by listening to sycopants and sharks. Ended up with a company dedicated to sucking the last nickel out of an ever-diminishing client-base and throwing other employees under the bus for personal advancement. Became functionally unable to release decent games or to give a game enough time to grow and find its audience. Began violently restructuring every 10 minutes. I wouldn't work here again until and unless they managed to release several new and interesting and successful games, and I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. Start with an entire clean slate. Create groups with the authority to make and test and release games without going through the incredibly awful vetting process. Stop rewarding managers for destroying teams.

Placate them with Money, Trips, Food & Swag

Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

-great networking
    -amazing food, snacks, drinks, and a bar downstairs
    -a social place with lots of clubs and events
    -lots of swag
    -nice building
    -a gym
    -excellent health benefits
    -massages and acupuncture, nutritionist
    -good IT dept. to fix issues
    -community service that actually talks to customers of games and seems to care.
    -dog friendly

Cons

-i felt like i was being placated with all of the pros listed above to distract me from incredible intellectual boredom.
    -uninspired game making. jobs are so compartmentalized that the work is dry and boring.
    -office culture very competitive and at times people are willing to throw you under the bus to get ahead. sure, competitiveness is pretty standard at most companies, but when you are surrounded by competitve people all day who are gunning for your job, it gets tiring. i felt that coworkers were more concerned about themselves, their features, their titles and title progression and awards rather than the teamwork and products we were making.
    -a number of incidents of backroom deals for promotions that led to HR advertising to the entire company the jobs available.
    -i witnessed an art director ask every single male on the team for character design ideas except for the three women on the team who were just as equally skilled as the males.
    -little care expressed for your career development, which seems pretty counterproductive for the company and keeping talent around.
    -feels corporate (meetings, meetings to discuss meetings, etc), numerous e mails about setting up calendars and oh what a fantastic job so and so did setting up the calendar... gah!
    -some people I worked with seemed utterly useless. i sat next to someone who texted and surfed the internet all day and yet still managed to hold down a job. another guy had a bottle of whiskey next to his desk, which he drank all day and left at 2:00 unannounced. He also managed to keep his job. totally don't get how some of these people can stay under the radar.
    -stock = a complete waste. empty promises. MP and a handful of people made a ton of money while the rest of us were given empty promises.
    -never once saw a style guide for any game, lead artists non communicative, art teams were very dysfunctional
    -work-life balance completely out of whack. I felt like if I didn't put in a 10-12 hour day I wasn't contributing.
    -HR department can be downright rude. not everyone, but some definite stand outs.
    -Parking is a serious issue. Company refused to address it. I would have gladly traded in my free food and swag for a parking spot or a van carpool from across town.
    -I became sick with the flu right before a free trip for our efforts and couldn't go. Next pay check $1000 was taken out as "punishment". When I complained and even got a dr. note, the money was put back into the next check. I thought the trip was a reward for all of my hard work?
    -Some employees actually got fleas from coworkers dogs! That's terrible but also amusing - maybe dogs should have a note from the vet or something.
    -when i told the nutritionist that i was a vegetarian, she expressed deep concern because i might not be getting enough protein which would make me tired at my desk. LOL

11. woo hoo

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun place to work at

Cons

only give promotions to top producers.

Advice to Management

reward the peons too.