a i solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Robert Sperling Jr

Great peers to work with, but management is suspect when it comes to actually managing things

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at a i solutions full-time

Pros

If placed in the right situation and environment, you get to work on the most fun and interesting projects with some smart and great people. When possible, managers are typically good at casting employees in positions where they'll excel or are willing to accommodate employee's desire to change positions.

Cons

The vast majority of managers are former engineers who try to bring the same approaches that they found to be successful when they were lowly engineers/analysts into their managerial duties which doesn't work. They lack the skills needed to inspire the people under them and are able to hide that deficiency by simply being fortunate enough to have a good number of self-motivating employees to perform quality work.

The company's policy on continuing education is also suspect. They won't reimburse you for an MBA, but will gladly support your studying Systems Engineering which gives you project management knowledge but not managerial or organizational skills. The company either expects you to develop managerial skills with OJT or will just hire someone with those skills.

Advice to Management

If you continue to promote engineers with no managerial skills or business sense, sooner or later it will come back to bite you if it hasn't already.

2. software engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at a i solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

smart people to work with

Cons

the manager on the project I was on was incompetent. Company has a sink or swim mentally, not the best place to start as a junior developer

Advice to Management

Manage your employees better by providing a 360 review process and hiring better managers that didn't lead with intimidation

3. Poorly managed company in a place with very interesting daily work.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD

I worked at a i solutions

Pros

Awesome projects to work on. a.i. solutions does flight dynamics work for NASA Goddard, a great place to start a career in flight dynamics. They are flexible with moving people around on projects to get the experience you are looking for to start a career. Hours are extremely flexible and you can wear jeans and a t-shirt to work.

Cons

This company is on a gradual downhill slope. It used to be a small company with a great atmosphere which made up for the bellow market pay. However, every year the benefits and atmosphere have been slowly chipped away. You are expected to use your own time above the 40 hours they have committed you to NASA to do business development. Compensation is consistently below market. They have no program for bringing this up so make sure you get your money on the way in the door. There is no structure for promotion. You are either one of the large group of workers or you are the manager in charge of 17-20 of those workers. The company has their core values "Customer-Team-Company-Self", keep that in mind because they put you last on paper so do you really expect them to treat you well at every review. They cut prices for their customer, make sure the team is overworked to meet the customers demands at the lower price, then make you develop things for the company on your own time, then maybe, just maybe, you will get a little bit of self to work on and a pat on the back.

Advice to Management

Engineers, although very analytical, are still human and don't like being told they need to fit to a numerical curve for compensation or need to make sacrifices for the betterment of the company. Spend some energy on focusing on the employee experience and less on making things cheaper for the almighty "customer".

5. nice company bad benefits

Current Employee - Analyst in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lanham, MD

I have been working at a i solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

have contracts with NASA
    good technology and security company to work for.
    young professionals
    good work life balance
    good annual parties

Cons

401k starts after 1 year
    benefits package is not that great.
    no sick leaves when you join the company
    hard to communicate with HR and key players in the company since you are always offsite

Advice to Management

consider revising your benefits and improving work culture. try to meet employees more than once a year.

Interesting work but poorly managed

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD

I have been working at a i solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Challenging space flight dynamics work
    * Flexible hours

Cons

* Poor Leadership: Management is made up former engineers who lack management skills.

* Low Compensation: depending on the job title, the pay is 5-15% lower than the market.

* High employee turnover rate: management knows and admits this but has done nothing to address the issue.

* No office culture: unfortunately, this is expected as the team lacks a competent leader with proven record to look up to. Also people don't stay here more than a couple of years which makes it hard to create an office culture.

* Limited benefit package: They admittedly have to shrink the benefit package to stay competitive when bidding on contracts.

7. Pretty Good Opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at a i solutions full-time

Pros

Projects were fun. There were many different projects to help out on in between major projects. Benefits are pretty good - coming from the perspective of more expensive benefits at my previous position. Management was very flexible with schedules.

Cons

Not the companies fault but Gov't contracting is very stressful right now.

Advice to Management

Keep going!! I know the industry is tough right now.

8. Great company, great people.

I have been working at a i solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting technical work, laid back work atmosphere (come and go as you please), work hard and you can move up in a respectable amount of time.

Cons

Drab work atmosphere as far as the building and decor go - looks stuck in 1996 and is quite laughable in certain places, though it has improved over the past year.

Advice to Management

Find ways to better recognize employee work and accomplishments. Overall though, management personnel are nice and personable, and try to establish good relationships with employees.

My experience with A.I. has been ok but I think they have some work to do to foster employee loyalty.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I have been working at a i solutions

Pros

Its a small, but growing, company. A.I. has the desire to improve and be competetive in its market. The company is team oriented. I expect the company to continue to grow and improve. They have the desire to retain all employees they hire for as long as they can.

Cons

Benefit packages (health, 401K, etc.) are only average or "competitive" as they say. However, health insurance is more expensive than my last employer. Education benifits are inadequate. Funds are sufficient for undergraduate degrees but only if attending local community colleges. Graduate degrees in my field are not offered by local state funded colleges in my area. Travelling out of town for classes is not an option for me. So private or online schools are my only option. Education benefits are not enough to cover this for more than a semester or two. I received no support for annual cetifications and training. I made two requests this year for certification test vouchers, training materials and books but I never received any approval, funding, or answers.

Advice to Management

Education for employees is critical to keeping up morale, competence and advancement. Better support for schooling and certification is needed.

Very laid back, professional place to work.

I have been working at a i solutions

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible hours as long as you get your work done, very interesting engineering work in the realm of astrodynamics, lots of opportunities to advance. Folks including upper management are very nice and encouraging. The CEO's door is always open. Good benefits, and salaries are respectable.

Cons

Not too many actually...the work atmosphere could be a bit more "fun" - the decor is badly outdated. Tasks can be demanding and long hours are needed here and there, but nothing unusual in this day and age. If you are driven to succeed and are a team player, you'll fit in well here.

Advice to Management

Keep the micro-managing to a minimum.

RSS Feed </> Embed