a i solutions Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
7 reviews filtered by
3.4
Robert Sperling Jr

Great peers to work with, but management is suspect when it comes to actually managing things

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at a i solutions full-time

Pros

If placed in the right situation and environment, you get to work on the most fun and interesting projects with some smart and great people. When possible, managers are typically good at casting employees in positions where they'll excel or are willing to accommodate employee's desire to change positions.

Cons

The vast majority of managers are former engineers who try to bring the same approaches that they found to be successful when they were lowly engineers/analysts into their managerial duties which doesn't work. They lack the skills needed to inspire the people under them and are able to hide that deficiency by simply being fortunate enough to have a good number of self-motivating employees to perform quality work.

The company's policy on continuing education is also suspect. They won't reimburse you for an MBA, but will gladly support your studying Systems Engineering which gives you project management knowledge but not managerial or organizational skills. The company either expects you to develop managerial skills with OJT or will just hire someone with those skills.

If you continue to promote engineers with no managerial skills or business sense, sooner or later it will come back to bite you if it hasn't already.

2. nice company bad benefits

Current Employee - Analyst in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lanham, MD

I have been working at a i solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

have contracts with NASA
    good technology and security company to work for.
    young professionals
    good work life balance
    good annual parties

Cons

401k starts after 1 year
    benefits package is not that great.
    no sick leaves when you join the company
    hard to communicate with HR and key players in the company since you are always offsite

consider revising your benefits and improving work culture. try to meet employees more than once a year.

Interesting work but poorly managed

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Lanham, MD

I have been working at a i solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Challenging space flight dynamics work
    * Flexible hours

Cons

* Poor Leadership: Management is made up former engineers who lack management skills.

* Low Compensation: depending on the job title, the pay is 5-15% lower than the market.

* High employee turnover rate: management knows and admits this but has done nothing to address the issue.

* No office culture: unfortunately, this is expected as the team lacks a competent leader with proven record to look up to. Also people don't stay here more than a couple of years which makes it hard to create an office culture.

* Limited benefit package: They admittedly have to shrink the benefit package to stay competitive when bidding on contracts.

5. Pretty Good Opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at a i solutions full-time

Pros

Projects were fun. There were many different projects to help out on in between major projects. Benefits are pretty good - coming from the perspective of more expensive benefits at my previous position. Management was very flexible with schedules.

Cons

Not the companies fault but Gov't contracting is very stressful right now.

Keep going!! I know the industry is tough right now.

6. Great company, great people.

I have been working at a i solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting technical work, laid back work atmosphere (come and go as you please), work hard and you can move up in a respectable amount of time.

Cons

Drab work atmosphere as far as the building and decor go - looks stuck in 1996 and is quite laughable in certain places, though it has improved over the past year.

Find ways to better recognize employee work and accomplishments. Overall though, management personnel are nice and personable, and try to establish good relationships with employees.

My experience with A.I. has been ok but I think they have some work to do to foster employee loyalty.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I have been working at a i solutions

Pros

Its a small, but growing, company. A.I. has the desire to improve and be competetive in its market. The company is team oriented. I expect the company to continue to grow and improve. They have the desire to retain all employees they hire for as long as they can.

Cons

Benefit packages (health, 401K, etc.) are only average or "competitive" as they say. However, health insurance is more expensive than my last employer. Education benifits are inadequate. Funds are sufficient for undergraduate degrees but only if attending local community colleges. Graduate degrees in my field are not offered by local state funded colleges in my area. Travelling out of town for classes is not an option for me. So private or online schools are my only option. Education benefits are not enough to cover this for more than a semester or two. I received no support for annual cetifications and training. I made two requests this year for certification test vouchers, training materials and books but I never received any approval, funding, or answers.

Education for employees is critical to keeping up morale, competence and advancement. Better support for schooling and certification is needed.

Very laid back, professional place to work.

I have been working at a i solutions

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible hours as long as you get your work done, very interesting engineering work in the realm of astrodynamics, lots of opportunities to advance. Folks including upper management are very nice and encouraging. The CEO's door is always open. Good benefits, and salaries are respectable.

Cons

Not too many actually...the work atmosphere could be a bit more "fun" - the decor is badly outdated. Tasks can be demanding and long hours are needed here and there, but nothing unusual in this day and age. If you are driven to succeed and are a team player, you'll fit in well here.

Keep the micro-managing to a minimum.