a2z Development Center Reviews

CEO

1. Go for the money but don't plan to stay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at a2z Development Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

casual dress code - flips flops, shorts, t-shirt bankers hours good pay smart people

Cons

no on-boardng sink or swim atmosphere managers technical experts though weak people skills

Advice to Management

Work on soft skills

2. Dog Years / Time Under Water (Amazon Music)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at a2z Development Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$$$ - Solid base and sign-on bonus for year 1-2 (but don't ever expect a performance bonus or a base increase over 2.5% -Some incredibly talented people working there (not sure if any left now) -- they base their stock offers on the 30 day trailing average (of the stock's performance)- so keep that in mind when negotiating. That being said, good luck making it the 2+ years to collect

Cons

-Management is there to beat you down and make sure you never get promoted. I've never worked anywhere with a higher turnover rate or lower morale. -Too many levels of red-tape to count. -The mothership (seattle) still controls all the strings and music is less of a priority to amzn than all the other media teams- 'red-headed stepchild

Advice to Management

try to make it feel like less a prison sentence

3. Leadership

I have been working at a2z Development Center full-time

Pros

I have explored new career paths that I never would have imagined possible for myself. I have moved up in the company due to the always positive reinforcement that makes me strive to do better and better.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between departments that hinders new and better processes. Little information is sent out to make everyone aware of changes.

Advice to Management

Focus on 'customer obsession' in the facility. Happy associates work better when we work with them. We are a team, no matter where we work.

5. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fast paced environment. Diverse product line. Tech meets and knowledge sharing sessions are great. Happy hours. Best part is location in san francisco

Cons

Extremely long working hours, working weekends. Too many levels in organization hierarchy. A lot of overlapping schedules which make deliverables difficult.

Great company to work for

I have been working at a2z Development Center full-time

Pros

Freedom to work with new technologies and have a say in the development of the products. Lots of incredibly smart people working there.

Cons

It is a bit stressful at times. We have some difficult deadlines for certain projects. There are many times where you hope to get started on a new project but a new large feature comes in and ruins the party. Not too different from most companies.

Good place to learn a lot

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at a2z Development Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning is definitely encouraged. So is innovation. The people I work with and the work atmosphere are great, we have each other's backs, we learn from each other and help each other every day. Some of us hang out socially too, apart from work. Having moved to California from another country, I can truly say I made some friends at work. Long hours do happen, but it is manageable, it's not like we work evenings and weekends all the time. Since I had a baby, I have never had any problems reconciling my work life with my private life, and there is lots of flexibility when for instance the baby is sick and I need to work from home or come in late. As to sharing desks, I assure you that any full time employee will get their desk. We had contractors share desks before, but with the recent expansion, this should no longer be necessary. As for promotions, two engineers in my team were promoted this year, and two last year. The pay (salary and stock) is good. Recent changes around my team made on call duties much easier.

Cons

Sometimes you have to move so quickly, that you don't have time to really learn the underlying technology. Sometimes solutions get stalled due to the need to discuss with several stakeholders and teams you depend on having different priorities. But that's inevitable in a larger organization I guess, and people are very cooperative. Contractors are definitely treated worse than the "blue badge employees".

Long hours, dull work, ridiculous deadlines

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at a2z Development Center full-time

Pros

There are some really smart people working here and you can learn a lot from them. Pay and benefits are pretty good. Some of the projects are interesting work with reasonable deadlines and expectations.

Cons

If you end up on the wrong project, you'll end up working nights and weekends non-stop for several months in a row and the work will be nothing but bug fixing and integration. Overlapping project schedules means that there's an important deadline almost every week. There's very little opportunity to be creative. The company is very cheap when it comes to equipment and supplies - you will get a low-end laptop with not enough memory, the company intranet is incredibly slow and you'll end up sharing a cube with two other people.

Advice to Management

Spend less money on parties and more on equipment. We could get more done if we had better infrastructure and faster hardware. Constant deadlines eliminate the sense of accomplishment and decrease morale. You can't solve problems faster by throwing more people at them - it may seem to work in the short term, but it ends up causing chaos and creating more bugs that won't be found until it's too late.

9. **

Current Employee - Finance Operations Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Finance Operations Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at a2z Development Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good to work environment, and people around

Cons

work life balance for entry level

10. heavy workload

Pros

The salary is good, people is good, office is ok.

Cons

Tons of things to learn in a short time period. Lacking enough resources.

11. Work Hard Have Fun Make no History

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Chennai (India)

Pros

fun frequent outings no pressure

Cons

Everything apart from fun no career growth

RSS Feed </> Embed