a2z Development Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Rollercoaster of work

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsPay is good and some projects can be interesting. Lots of smart people to learn from. There is a wide variety of tasks across all the teams so something will definitely interest you.

ConsManagement does not always listen to the voices of engineers. Can feel too overworked (more than your average softare job) when deadlines approach and may end up debugging more than developing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what the engineers have to say, their suggestions can make big differences in efficiency and productivity!

Good place to learn a lot

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsLearning is definitely encouraged. So is innovation. The people I work with and the work atmosphere are great, we have each other's backs, we learn from each other and help each other every day. Some of us hang out socially too, apart from work. Having moved to California from another country, I can truly say I made some friends at work.

Long hours do happen, but it is manageable, it's not like we work evenings and weekends all the time. Since I had a baby, I have never had any problems reconciling my work life with my private life, and there is lots of flexibility when for instance the baby is sick and I need to work from home or come in late.

As to sharing desks, I assure you that any full time employee will get their desk. We had contractors share desks before, but with the recent expansion, this should no longer be necessary.

As for promotions, two engineers in my team were promoted this year, and two last year.

The pay (salary and stock) is good.

Recent changes around my team made on call duties much easier.

ConsSometimes you have to move so quickly, that you don't have time to really learn the underlying technology. Sometimes solutions get stalled due to the need to discuss with several stakeholders and teams you depend on having different priorities. But that's inevitable in a larger organization I guess, and people are very cooperative.

Contractors are definitely treated worse than the "blue badge employees".

Long hours, dull work, ridiculous deadlines

San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are some really smart people working here and you can learn a lot from them. Pay and benefits are pretty good. Some of the projects are interesting work with reasonable deadlines and expectations.

ConsIf you end up on the wrong project, you'll end up working nights and weekends non-stop for several months in a row and the work will be nothing but bug fixing and integration. Overlapping project schedules means that there's an important deadline almost every week. There's very little opportunity to be creative. The company is very cheap when it comes to equipment and supplies - you will get a low-end laptop with not enough memory, the company intranet is incredibly slow and you'll end up sharing a cube with two other people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on parties and more on equipment. We could get more done if we had better infrastructure and faster hardware. Constant deadlines eliminate the sense of accomplishment and decrease morale. You can't solve problems faster by throwing more people at them - it may seem to work in the short term, but it ends up causing chaos and creating more bugs that won't be found until it's too late.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and Underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of ownership opportunities with different projects and within the job role. However, it does come with no pay increase, overworked hours with no overtime, and no round of applause.

ConsA2Z does not promote within often, and its usually engineers. There hiring process for contractors is long, and unprofessional. They do not seem to value their employers is anyway, and have a very high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within.

Worked for a2z Development Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at a2z Development Center reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by a2z Development Center employees.