aTyr Pharma

Updated December 13, 2014

John Mendlein, Ph.D.

aTyr - Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The science and the team are very strong at aTyr. There is continuous discussion around the patients and the impact we can have. Very smart people. Good communication with teams. I really like my team and the people I work with. High work ethic within the company. Good benefits, good snacks, nice work space, casual environment, a lot of great events and parties including "bring your dog to work day". I really like working at aTyr!

Cons

We are growing out of our space.

The great divide between science and company culture (you can't force culture!)

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The science at aTyr is extremely interesting and cutting edge in that it is an exploration of rare disease. It is truly unique. There is a very capable and smart group of researchers, PIs and associates. The executive team has a long track record of success at larger and smaller companies.

Cons

I'm not sure who wrote the highly positive review but it seems they're on the other side of the looking glass.There is a huge gap between the executive leadership and research teams. Even among teams themselves, most operate in silos. There is a top down company philosophy of "disease doesn't sleep" which apparently justifies giving minimal time-off. They believe that it is solely scientific passion that drives the employees. While this may work in a company of five people you have to diversify your perks as the employee workforce expands. Forcing one person's belief system into a corporate culture merely increases the alienation felt by those on the receiving end. There has been an endless parade of folks coming in and out of the company since I've started with no effort to retain people leading to the belief that most folks are expendable.

Increase benefits to match those generally standard to industry: more time off, 401k match, flexible work hours
    Create some opportunities for employees to develop rather than stagnate
    Genuinely engage employee feedback in a receptive setting rather than tacking on "does anybody have any questions?" at the end of a meeting that everybody is glad to see end
    Work to create and promote cross team collaboration

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time

Pros

People, interesting science, lab space

Cons

Management, benefits, poor communication, micro-manage too many details

Improve vacation time, communicate better to employees, don't micro-manage. CEO has too much say in the every day experiments, we are good scientists, let us do our job.