adMarketplace

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
3.1

James Wyatt Hill

Pros
  • The views are killer, most employees are cool, and newbies learn a lot about a complicated industry in a really short time (in 3 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn new skills quickly (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management team cannot be serious except they are (in 8 reviews)

• Extremely abusive staff and upper management and sexual harassment by direct management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Develop your leaders!

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really smart people here – you can really learn a lot. They actually encourage it with their weekly “lunch and learn” sessions. It helps develop your skills and fix any problems you may be running into.

Their Tuesday morning meetings updates all of the departments, which I have found to be super helpful in generating new ideas across the board. I do enjoy the inter-team interaction and think it’s great that everyone is happy to pitch in and help.

Cons

A lot of the leadership is self-taught which is great as a personal challenge, but can be annoying when it's the only type of leadership.

Give training on being a good leader too.

Everyone Deserves A Warm Meal

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remember how all Dr Evil wanted was frickin sharks with friction laserbeams attached to their heads? Well that’s how I would describe the upper management here. Once they lock their target in sight they go in for the kill. They lead with drive in hopes that their attitude is infectious. Their weekly morning staff meetings are great for motivation and are always happy to recognize employee achievements. They’ve been doing a lot more interviews and articles lately which leads me to believe they really know what they’re talking about!

Cons

I’m personally of the mindset where I like having sharp bosses. It brings out the best in me. But I guess it’s not for everyone.

A little more Teddy Roosevelt (“speak softly and carry a big stick”) and a little less Raging Bull when dealing with conflict.

Please join, if you are desperately unemployed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great colleagues - all extremely intelligent, supportive and down-to-earth
    - seamless
    - work itself isn't difficult or stressful

Cons

- no one knows or understands what's going on because of the high turnover and you're left to figure things out on your own because none of your managers can help you, which is fine but then ...
    - incompetent managers make no effort to understand the work that you do and instead micromanages all your tasks to create more work for you
    - upper management is a joke. this is really a sandbox for 3 greedy egomaniacs to play with their toys and see if you break
    - you think you have your managers ... but everyone reports to the same person
    - upper management doesn't really seem to care about the business, employees or clients and they'll burn every bridge for short term revenue gain
    - there's no point in staying - everyone you like here will eventually leave within a year. i'm sure you noticed that when you interviewed

this company would be great without you

Great Opportunity for Career Advancement With Terrific Upside

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team of people you will be working with is awesome. Everyone is collaborative, embracing of ideas and it is truly a team. The product -- nobody else has a product like adMarketplace. The technology team is one of the best in the biz and continues to innovate and build an incredible product everyday. If you want to learn, have your ideas heard, innovate, be challenged and take your career to the next level, adMarketplace is the place to be...Great things are happening and will continue to happen...

Cons

If you don't like challenges or embrace problems that come from a growing successful company, then this may not be the best place for you.

The passion our senior management exudes is awesome! Simply awesome. They want this business to be successful and they know it is a team effort that will get them there. The transparency at our company staff meetings are great and knowing where the business is heading in and how we need to get there is also awesome!

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came from a completely different industry with no media experience. It was a great learning experience. Great training was provided through various lunch and learns and weekly sales meetings. The platform is outstanding. There is none as detailed and as granular in the search industry. There is opportunity here to make a lot of money as did some of my seasoned colleagues, lots of it. From every department, be it Biz Dev, Ad ops, marketing, tech or sales, the people at adMarketplace are some of the nicest and smartest you will meet. As it happens sometimes, it didn't work out for me but we parted ways on very good terms.

Cons

It is a high pressure place like it would be if you are competing with the likes of Google. If you can't handle a fast pace, enriching but challenging environment, this may not be for you.

You are making all the right moves from better communication with your employees and enhancing the benefit plans. The happier your employees, the more productive they are, is really true. Keep that up and all the best!

Opportunities and workload are plentiful in tech

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn new things.
    You will get relevant hands on experience.
    You will be able to move up in the company.
    You will work with other people who are smart at getting tasks done.
    You will not have to deal with office politics.

Cons

You have to produce, quickly and consistently, and your value is tied to that output.
    You have to fight for raises, always.
    You have to deal with frequently shifting priorities.
    You may have to deal with high turnover around you.

Continue your separation of sales from tech. Trust your tech management to lead competently, because they do. Start focusing more on "important, but not urgent" problems. I guarantee you are losing more money in opportunity cost than a couple days downturn in revenue.

Great stepping stone for people with a backbone, just don't get run over

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will get the opportunity to call big clients and big agencies faster than you would at another company.

Cons

Horrible company values, toxic environment, clueless management that constantly changes direction and fails to look inward. Blame is placed on everyone except for upper management, and they will fire you faster than you can blink. Comp plans change as often as the seating chart, so don't think you will get rich working here. You're just a means to an end for them, and they don't hide it. Not a place for the faint of heart.

Learn to treat people with respect. Reputation is everything in this business.

The one company you never want to work for!

Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unfortunately there are not many pros at adMarketplace, if I had to really dig deep it would be the non-management people. They are talented, smart and will back you up when the 2 people that run the company decide to go on a scream-fest.

Cons

This is one of the most disturbing places to work, they treat you like a dog and work you till you feel like you have nothing else in your life but this job. The CEO is on of the largest narcissistic human beings I have ever met, he shows up in the middle of the day and looks at the numbers, if he does not like what he sees the troops are called in to get a lashing. The President is so myopic in his thinking that nothing and I mean nothing gets approved in the entire company without his stamp. They churn through people at a 50% per year rate, the company is 120 people and they have 3 full-time recruiters due to this churn.
    With all this said, my suggestion to anyone is run the other way and never look back.

This is a waste of time, the 2 men that run this company think they are gods gift to everything and will listen to no one. If they did ever listen I would tell them to cash out and let someone else run the company, it may turn out ok if they were gone!

Real Money for Real Players

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Despite reviews referencing micro-managing, I see the exact opposite. Management empowers everyone to take on as much as they want, and rewards success with generous commissions on big scale deals. As a sales rep you have the ability to make your own schedule, only required to keep salesforce updated (obviously) and check in with your manager for discussions about marquee clients and big deals in the pipe. Management will always take their gloves off to help in any situation, as long as you bring it to them in a timely manner. Expectations are pretty clear... Close big deals and coordinate all company resources (tech, client services, etc) to make it happen, and you will make a ton of money. I have seen friends in finance work way harder working office hours to make half of what I make, and I get to do it at Michelin rated restaurants with fine wine and cool clients (Fortune 500 brands).

Cons

Clients in media can be somewhat unpredictable. Google is the monopoly so you are always the last on the buy, but in search the marketplace is not crowded. Ad dollars go to Google, Yahoo and adMarketplace. Maybe one day we will compete with social networks, but for now it's selling against Google.

Clearly defined career path. In sales it's not really an issue as individual contribution is extremely lucrative, but I see frustration in other departments for employees past the 1 year mark. And upgrading the bathroom/kitchen scenario would be a huge win.

Worse job ever

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to learn about market, really nice co-workers. Free lunch on Friday.

Cons

Survival of the fittest mentality, no guidance, no mentoring, no nothing! You are on your own. Management leads by fear and micro managing.

Get new management, learn how to lead, learn how to treat people with respect rather then ruling by fear. Respect others in the way you would like to be respected. Build a team not a dictatorship.