adMarketplace

adMarketplace Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014

James Wyatt Hill

Pros
  • Opportunity to learn new skills quickly (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to grow as a professional (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management team cannot be serious except they are (in 8 reviews)

• Extremely abusive staff and upper management and sexual harassment by direct management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunity for Career Advancement With Terrific Upside

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team of people you will be working with is awesome. Everyone is collaborative, embracing of ideas and it is truly a team. The product -- nobody else has a product like adMarketplace. The technology team is one of the best in the biz and continues to innovate and build an incredible product everyday. If you want to learn, have your ideas heard, innovate, be challenged and take your career to the next level, adMarketplace is the place to be...Great things are happening and will continue to happen...

Cons

If you don't like challenges or embrace problems that come from a growing successful company, then this may not be the best place for you.

The passion our senior management exudes is awesome! Simply awesome. They want this business to be successful and they know it is a team effort that will get them there. The transparency at our company staff meetings are great and knowing where the business is heading in and how we need to get there is also awesome!

Optimistic about the future

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Still semi-new to the company, but so far so good! A really friendly environment with some truly dedicated folks. I really like the diversity here (not just a bunch of fresh-out-of-college kids). It can be a sharp learning curve, but it’s what you make it. You have the opportunity and the resources to go far (expense accounts, trade shows, etc.) you just need to use them effectively. It’s not a place for shrinking violets. I work with some pretty impressive accounts, and trust me they’re only getting better!

Cons

Constant meetings during the week can impede individual performance. It’s cool to check in on the team every now and then, but let us do our jobs more so we can have better updates!

I don’t have any atm since I’m still new-ish. But seems like the general consensus is to be more receptive to what your employees want.

Opportunities and workload are plentiful in tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn new things.
    You will get relevant hands on experience.
    You will be able to move up in the company.
    You will work with other people who are smart at getting tasks done.
    You will not have to deal with office politics.

Cons

You have to produce, quickly and consistently, and your value is tied to that output.
    You have to fight for raises, always.
    You have to deal with frequently shifting priorities.
    You may have to deal with high turnover around you.

Continue your separation of sales from tech. Trust your tech management to lead competently, because they do. Start focusing more on "important, but not urgent" problems. I guarantee you are losing more money in opportunity cost than a couple days downturn in revenue.

Worth it for the team and market opportunity

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I’m a current employee who has been at this company for over a year. You are probably reading these reviews because you want to know what it’s really like to work here. First, a disclaimer that these are anonymous reviews posted on the internet. Take them with a grain of salt. The best way to actually get a sense for a place is to come in and check it out for yourself.

Pros: There are a handful of reasons I choose this job every day. First and foremost, it’s the team. There are so many people throughout the organization who are committed to making this company great. I’m sure you can find smart, interesting people just about anyplace you go, but finding a group of people who believe in what they are building and know how to do it -- that’s rare. Especially in this industry.

The other big thing that sets this company apart is it’s market opportunity. In the past several years the company has positioned itself to be a top tier player in a very specialized niche, competing directly with Google for search budget. Lately, it feels like we’re firing on all cylinders and have a lot of exciting open road ahead of us.

Cons

Since I started this list has gotten significantly shorter:

Things that were once glaring issues have been addressed and continue to get better daily. Our benefits and HR policies are now standardized and for the most part, market competitive. Senior management has worked hard to change the behaviors that drove retention down. Yes, we still have days where it seems like a 4 alarm fire out of the blue but those are few and far between now, and almost never arbitrary.

This company learned the hard way that once you reach a certain stage in growth, having an impressive product and a great market opportunity are not enough. You need to be able to attract and retain the kind of people who work to create something bigger than the sum of its parts. Keep giving the team what it needs to thrive and they will go above and beyond to give you what you want.

Truthfully, it’s mundane stuff related to our building that frustrates me the most these days. The AC/Heating is always out of whack. Usually the faucet in the kitchen only puts out scalding hot water or a dribble of cold water. And while the views are great, I’d trade them for more meeting rooms.

In the balance, me experience here has been worth it.

Hire an office manager. Consolidating those responsibilities under one person will more than pay for itself by freeing up resources from the 5-6 people who currently handle those tasks.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came from a completely different industry with no media experience. It was a great learning experience. Great training was provided through various lunch and learns and weekly sales meetings. The platform is outstanding. There is none as detailed and as granular in the search industry. There is opportunity here to make a lot of money as did some of my seasoned colleagues, lots of it. From every department, be it Biz Dev, Ad ops, marketing, tech or sales, the people at adMarketplace are some of the nicest and smartest you will meet. As it happens sometimes, it didn't work out for me but we parted ways on very good terms.

Cons

It is a high pressure place like it would be if you are competing with the likes of Google. If you can't handle a fast pace, enriching but challenging environment, this may not be for you.

You are making all the right moves from better communication with your employees and enhancing the benefit plans. The happier your employees, the more productive they are, is really true. Keep that up and all the best!

Great place

I have been working at adMarketplace

Pros

Awesome people, welcoming environment, soda fridge, kegorator, events, catered lunch on fridays. You can learn a lot here. Most management is welcoming of questions and responds well to eagerness to learn.

Cons

Can be a bit intimidated because most people are very smart and talented

Talk to us a bit more

Some of these reviews are straight up insane

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This place is not even close to as bad as some of these reviews suggest. The reality is IT’S GETTING BETTER EVERY DAY. This is an office, not a day spa. People are acting like they spent a year working in one of the sweatshops that produced the iPhone that they used to write their acerbic reviews. #firstworldproblems.

Here’s what’s actually going on. The management expects a lot from the employees because the company is sitting on a golden opportunity, and everyone knows it. Some of these reviews paint upper management as cartoonish misers twirling mustaches and tying damsels to railroad tracks. I don’t know how much yelling and abuse happened before I got here, but I’ve been here a year and I just don’t see it. The President and CEO update the whole company on everything every Tuesday morning. Communication and trust between management and employees is improving. They’ve added philanthropy initiatives. They’ve improved the benefits package. To me, it seems like they are starting to actually listen to employees.

The views are killer, most employees are cool, and newbies learn a lot about a complicated industry in a really short time.

Cons

Benefits could be a bit better, but they are in tune with industry standards. Management is still getting used to the idea of relinquishing control on certain things, which causes some inefficiencies. The company is definitely experiencing some growing pains as they transition from a startup mentality to a more legit industry player. Vacation and sick-day policy have actually improved since I got here (get a new dental plan).

Keep improving. The vibe around here has gotten exponentially better since I got here and it’s because the company is actually making the effort to improve the culture. Different employees respond to different incentives. Flexibility goes a long way, especially with older workers and commuters. Keep making strides in the trust department. You can’t keep growing without letting go of the reigns a bit. Finally, keep up the communication about the company direction. Everyone can see that you’re really, really close to achieving some major company goals, so make sure you keep taking care of all the people who are making it happen.

Great stepping stone for people with a backbone, just don't get run over

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will get the opportunity to call big clients and big agencies faster than you would at another company.

Cons

Horrible company values, toxic environment, clueless management that constantly changes direction and fails to look inward. Blame is placed on everyone except for upper management, and they will fire you faster than you can blink. Comp plans change as often as the seating chart, so don't think you will get rich working here. You're just a means to an end for them, and they don't hide it. Not a place for the faint of heart.

Learn to treat people with respect. Reputation is everything in this business.

The one company you never want to work for!

Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unfortunately there are not many pros at adMarketplace, if I had to really dig deep it would be the non-management people. They are talented, smart and will back you up when the 2 people that run the company decide to go on a scream-fest.

Cons

This is one of the most disturbing places to work, they treat you like a dog and work you till you feel like you have nothing else in your life but this job. The CEO is on of the largest narcissistic human beings I have ever met, he shows up in the middle of the day and looks at the numbers, if he does not like what he sees the troops are called in to get a lashing. The President is so myopic in his thinking that nothing and I mean nothing gets approved in the entire company without his stamp. They churn through people at a 50% per year rate, the company is 120 people and they have 3 full-time recruiters due to this churn.
    With all this said, my suggestion to anyone is run the other way and never look back.

This is a waste of time, the 2 men that run this company think they are gods gift to everything and will listen to no one. If they did ever listen I would tell them to cash out and let someone else run the company, it may turn out ok if they were gone!

Real Money for Real Players

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Despite reviews referencing micro-managing, I see the exact opposite. Management empowers everyone to take on as much as they want, and rewards success with generous commissions on big scale deals. As a sales rep you have the ability to make your own schedule, only required to keep salesforce updated (obviously) and check in with your manager for discussions about marquee clients and big deals in the pipe. Management will always take their gloves off to help in any situation, as long as you bring it to them in a timely manner. Expectations are pretty clear... Close big deals and coordinate all company resources (tech, client services, etc) to make it happen, and you will make a ton of money. I have seen friends in finance work way harder working office hours to make half of what I make, and I get to do it at Michelin rated restaurants with fine wine and cool clients (Fortune 500 brands).

Cons

Clients in media can be somewhat unpredictable. Google is the monopoly so you are always the last on the buy, but in search the marketplace is not crowded. Ad dollars go to Google, Yahoo and adMarketplace. Maybe one day we will compete with social networks, but for now it's selling against Google.

Clearly defined career path. In sales it's not really an issue as individual contribution is extremely lucrative, but I see frustration in other departments for employees past the 1 year mark. And upgrading the bathroom/kitchen scenario would be a huge win.