adMarketplace

adMarketplace Reviews

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014

James Wyatt Hill

Pros
  • The views are killer, most employees are cool, and newbies learn a lot about a complicated industry in a really short time (in 3 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn new skills quickly (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management team cannot be serious except they are (in 8 reviews)

• Extremely abusive staff and upper management and sexual harassment by direct management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Relationships that matter

I have been working at adMarketplace

Pros

They really expect you to take the bull by the horns and run with your accounts, and if you’re up to it you’ll do well. I have worked hard to develop good relationships with my clients and it’s something I can feel proud to take away with me.

What’s nice is we have the ability to interact with all the different teams, so if there’s a problem we can fix it right away and keep our clients happy.

Cons

Management keeps piling on accounts and expecting rapid results. They’re excited to grow the company, but they dont factor in that new accounts take time to learn.

Too many accounts per person. Spread the love and hire more people.

Everyone Deserves A Warm Meal

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remember how all Dr Evil wanted was frickin sharks with friction laserbeams attached to their heads? Well that’s how I would describe the upper management here. Once they lock their target in sight they go in for the kill. They lead with drive in hopes that their attitude is infectious. Their weekly morning staff meetings are great for motivation and are always happy to recognize employee achievements. They’ve been doing a lot more interviews and articles lately which leads me to believe they really know what they’re talking about!

Cons

I’m personally of the mindset where I like having sharp bosses. It brings out the best in me. But I guess it’s not for everyone.

A little more Teddy Roosevelt (“speak softly and carry a big stick”) and a little less Raging Bull when dealing with conflict.

Develop your leaders!

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really smart people here – you can really learn a lot. They actually encourage it with their weekly “lunch and learn” sessions. It helps develop your skills and fix any problems you may be running into.

Their Tuesday morning meetings updates all of the departments, which I have found to be super helpful in generating new ideas across the board. I do enjoy the inter-team interaction and think it’s great that everyone is happy to pitch in and help.

Cons

A lot of the leadership is self-taught which is great as a personal challenge, but can be annoying when it's the only type of leadership.

Give training on being a good leader too.

Please join, if you are desperately unemployed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great colleagues - all extremely intelligent, supportive and down-to-earth
    - seamless
    - work itself isn't difficult or stressful

Cons

- no one knows or understands what's going on because of the high turnover and you're left to figure things out on your own because none of your managers can help you, which is fine but then ...
    - incompetent managers make no effort to understand the work that you do and instead micromanages all your tasks to create more work for you
    - upper management is a joke. this is really a sandbox for 3 greedy egomaniacs to play with their toys and see if you break
    - you think you have your managers ... but everyone reports to the same person
    - upper management doesn't really seem to care about the business, employees or clients and they'll burn every bridge for short term revenue gain
    - there's no point in staying - everyone you like here will eventually leave within a year. i'm sure you noticed that when you interviewed

this company would be great without you

Great Opportunity for Career Advancement With Terrific Upside

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team of people you will be working with is awesome. Everyone is collaborative, embracing of ideas and it is truly a team. The product -- nobody else has a product like adMarketplace. The technology team is one of the best in the biz and continues to innovate and build an incredible product everyday. If you want to learn, have your ideas heard, innovate, be challenged and take your career to the next level, adMarketplace is the place to be...Great things are happening and will continue to happen...

Cons

If you don't like challenges or embrace problems that come from a growing successful company, then this may not be the best place for you.

The passion our senior management exudes is awesome! Simply awesome. They want this business to be successful and they know it is a team effort that will get them there. The transparency at our company staff meetings are great and knowing where the business is heading in and how we need to get there is also awesome!

Optimistic about the future

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Still semi-new to the company, but so far so good! A really friendly environment with some truly dedicated folks. I really like the diversity here (not just a bunch of fresh-out-of-college kids). It can be a sharp learning curve, but it’s what you make it. You have the opportunity and the resources to go far (expense accounts, trade shows, etc.) you just need to use them effectively. It’s not a place for shrinking violets. I work with some pretty impressive accounts, and trust me they’re only getting better!

Cons

Constant meetings during the week can impede individual performance. It’s cool to check in on the team every now and then, but let us do our jobs more so we can have better updates!

I don’t have any atm since I’m still new-ish. But seems like the general consensus is to be more receptive to what your employees want.

Worth it for the team and market opportunity

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I’m a current employee who has been at this company for over a year. You are probably reading these reviews because you want to know what it’s really like to work here. First, a disclaimer that these are anonymous reviews posted on the internet. Take them with a grain of salt. The best way to actually get a sense for a place is to come in and check it out for yourself.

Pros: There are a handful of reasons I choose this job every day. First and foremost, it’s the team. There are so many people throughout the organization who are committed to making this company great. I’m sure you can find smart, interesting people just about anyplace you go, but finding a group of people who believe in what they are building and know how to do it -- that’s rare. Especially in this industry.

The other big thing that sets this company apart is it’s market opportunity. In the past several years the company has positioned itself to be a top tier player in a very specialized niche, competing directly with Google for search budget. Lately, it feels like we’re firing on all cylinders and have a lot of exciting open road ahead of us.

Cons

Since I started this list has gotten significantly shorter:

Things that were once glaring issues have been addressed and continue to get better daily. Our benefits and HR policies are now standardized and for the most part, market competitive. Senior management has worked hard to change the behaviors that drove retention down. Yes, we still have days where it seems like a 4 alarm fire out of the blue but those are few and far between now, and almost never arbitrary.

This company learned the hard way that once you reach a certain stage in growth, having an impressive product and a great market opportunity are not enough. You need to be able to attract and retain the kind of people who work to create something bigger than the sum of its parts. Keep giving the team what it needs to thrive and they will go above and beyond to give you what you want.

Truthfully, it’s mundane stuff related to our building that frustrates me the most these days. The AC/Heating is always out of whack. Usually the faucet in the kitchen only puts out scalding hot water or a dribble of cold water. And while the views are great, I’d trade them for more meeting rooms.

In the balance, me experience here has been worth it.

Hire an office manager. Consolidating those responsibilities under one person will more than pay for itself by freeing up resources from the 5-6 people who currently handle those tasks.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came from a completely different industry with no media experience. It was a great learning experience. Great training was provided through various lunch and learns and weekly sales meetings. The platform is outstanding. There is none as detailed and as granular in the search industry. There is opportunity here to make a lot of money as did some of my seasoned colleagues, lots of it. From every department, be it Biz Dev, Ad ops, marketing, tech or sales, the people at adMarketplace are some of the nicest and smartest you will meet. As it happens sometimes, it didn't work out for me but we parted ways on very good terms.

Cons

It is a high pressure place like it would be if you are competing with the likes of Google. If you can't handle a fast pace, enriching but challenging environment, this may not be for you.

You are making all the right moves from better communication with your employees and enhancing the benefit plans. The happier your employees, the more productive they are, is really true. Keep that up and all the best!

Opportunities and workload are plentiful in tech

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn new things.
    You will get relevant hands on experience.
    You will be able to move up in the company.
    You will work with other people who are smart at getting tasks done.
    You will not have to deal with office politics.

Cons

You have to produce, quickly and consistently, and your value is tied to that output.
    You have to fight for raises, always.
    You have to deal with frequently shifting priorities.
    You may have to deal with high turnover around you.

Continue your separation of sales from tech. Trust your tech management to lead competently, because they do. Start focusing more on "important, but not urgent" problems. I guarantee you are losing more money in opportunity cost than a couple days downturn in revenue.

Great place

I have been working at adMarketplace

Pros

Awesome people, welcoming environment, soda fridge, kegorator, events, catered lunch on fridays. You can learn a lot here. Most management is welcoming of questions and responds well to eagerness to learn.

Cons

Can be a bit intimidated because most people are very smart and talented

Talk to us a bit more