alliantgroup, LP
www.alliantgroup.com Houston, TX 150 to 499 Employees

alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros:
  • "Health benefits, free food during tax season, money-if senior leadership likes you"
    in 12 reviews
  • "During the tax season, they'll bring in good food from good restaurants for dinner and sometimes lunch"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Churn and Burn Company - They take advantage of the bad economy to hire anyone

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

ProsBefore you start please look at all the positive reviews. They all have a similar “CON”s
    - Fast Paced
    - Need more people
    - Hard Work

The Pro's are ridiculous. No company on glassdoor has those amazing reviews. RED FLAG.

- These are 100% fake accounts created by the 3-4 person marketing team to hopefully sway people on the fence to start.
    - BE CAREFUL.
    - Before making a decision look at all the reviews and see the ones that have unique details. - People spend time to write these because they are trying to let NEW people know what to expect. They DON'T GET PAID so they get no benefit in writing a negative responses unlike the "marketing team".

All comments are for jobs on the Implementation side.

You get a job and a laptop.
    You get your cell phone bill paid.
    You get to hang out with mostly cool people who are young and energetic
    You get free food during tax season.
    Free sodas
    $5 credit for lunch at the cafeteria
    Site Visits to different parts of the US
    3-5 company parties involving free food and drinks and prizes
    Good tax lawyers that know the R&D tax credit
    You can advance if you are a “yes” woman and love to brown nose senior management
    You get to go to free movies, dinners, if you are favored and a rising star.
    You can put tax consulting on your resume ( somewhat helpful if you are right out of college).
    You may even get to go to go on free secret trips to Vegas, if you are deemed a pretty girl with a “yes” attitude, by upper management.

ConsDaily Life

+ To advance in this company, you have to believe in every decision, email, announcement, etc. that they make, no matter how unprofessional, or ridiculous.
    + They will ask for your feedback, but it is really a test to see if you are on board.
    + You have to be at work 10-12 hour days minimum, to get noticed and possibly get a raise.
    + Late night training sessions (after 6-7 pm), and 1 and 1s with whoever is your mentor and maybe her supervisor.
    + They still expect you to know and learn everything while working on client files = LONG DAYS and NIGHTS.
    + They will burn you out. It is like a law firm and they will give you a hard time for leaving early.
    + Extremely high turnover. This applies to new hires as well as employees who have been there for years.
    + Management has favorites, and they aren't shy about letting everyone know who they are.
    + They bill you at out at $200-400 per hour but pay you about 40-60K = $35-40 per hour DOE.
    + “Look at me” emails sent monthly to weekly.
    == Everyone has to reply to all and say “You are amazing”, “ Wouldn't expect less from you”, == “Way to be a leader”, and more half hearted words of praise.
    == These flood your inbox making it harder to actually do real work.
    == They are awkward at best and annoying after your 5th.
    + Structure of the company is in constant change. Directors who fall out of favor will be demoted, removed from their office and basically embarrassed. Sometimes there will be 5 directors then 2 then 7.

Directors and Assistant Directors

+ Most are Hard headed and demeaning to their staff. However, they have their faves and they get better treatment
    + Do not know how to manage people
    + Live for the power trip and brown nosing they get on a daily basis from their staff.
    + They promote those people
    + Work over 12-14 hour days even during non peak times.
    + Shows how much they value their life and their staffs

Owners

+ Do not understand their own workforce nor do they actually care
    + They are blinded by their early success, egos and money they rake in from YOUR work

Promotions

+ Your fate is decided by a round table of upper management usually about 8-9 people and your immediate director (She better love you).
    + They rank you against your peers. It is based on about 70% personal likes, office friendships and agreeability; and about 30% actual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementG ive raises sooner than later, if someone shows potential.
    F orget trying to manage. Hire external management company to handle daily tasks.
    Y ou created a company try and make it grow.

This is really a pointless area, especially for this company, since Management thinks they know everything and has never cared what anyone else says.

They can’t hide the truth with 50-80% company yearly turnover rate. End of the day this company is the most “suck up” company I have ever seen. However, if you like that atmosphere, and having absolutely no personal life, then you will be in heaven, and probably get promoted fairly quickly.

I hope this helps all potential new employees make better decisions.

NOTE: Tax Controversy Services (TCS), Audit, Quality Control (QC) and Business Development teams are other departments that appear to not be as bad, but I wouldn't know from direct experience.

Driven to be the best of the best

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIt is absolutely amusing to me to see some of these negative reviews. When you work here, you are told up front that there are longer hours. This is not an 8-5 job, and the directors and owners are clear that alliantgroup is for the elite consulting minded, client service minded professionals that want to get a seat at the table. If you want to check in and check out, you will hate it here. If you like to work hard, not wait a year for 2-3% raise that is across the board, and you want to be rewarded for what you put in the firm, you will love it.

Also, working with young, very intelligent people is a nice plus. Average age in the firm is around 30. Makes the parties really fun. Casual work environment, office pranks, paid lunch, and lots of firm outings.

Bottom line, if you want a 'job' and not a 'career' do not apply. If you are looking for a company that you can hang out in the corner and not be noticed, do not apply. If you are money motivated, this is the place to be.

Cons-A lot of young managers who need management training, but they are working on this.
    - Due to growth, the office is pretty tight and it gets pretty loud, but we are moving into a new building.
    -Paid lunch is a nice perk, but the food is not that great. Needs salt bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring more senior level managers to help with day to day management.

A Great Employer- The Sky is the Limit

Houston, TX

ProsA lot of companies say that they will reward hard work and creative thinking. This one really does. I look forward to going to work every day. The opportunities to succeed are endless and the support to help you excel is tremendous.

ConsTax season can have some long hours, but days off and other perks reward the efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and let's keep growing!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An amazing work environment, great energy, and excellent focus on client service!!!!

Houston, TX

Prosalliantgroup is a place that recognizes hard work, perseverance, dedication and potential. Leadership is extremely keen on working with employees to grow and develop as a professional.The potential to excel is limitless. The job is extremely interesting and every day you get to learn something new. Additionally, alliantgroup is a true meritocracy, and high performance is encouraged!!! Shout-outs to folks that rise above the rest are an every day occurrence!!!

ConsNone. This is a place for people that want to rise above the rest!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Lack of professionalism

Architecture Associate/Energy Modeler (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThere is a decent enough salary with overtime pay included, they pay $5 everyday for your lunch from a café that was onsite

ConsNo discipline regarding work ethic, no repercussions for those who screw around during work, forced overtime work, lots of coworkers who spend hours goofing around, lots of crude language around the office, managers who don't have a gameplan for workloads, just overall bad work environment that can drive you insane

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture of lack of discipline, learn to be more professional, don't badmouth numerous employees behind their backs

Absolutely Horrible

Client Relations (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFree food, free parking, they pay decent and the benefits are fine as well

ConsLong hours, poor management, unprofessional...The company is incredibly unprofessional as a whole. I was invited to a meeting/"party" at the corporate house my first week of joining where all the company senior associates were drinking and dancing around, even banging on pots. You are made to work long hours and if you do not comply, they fire you. I worked for Alliantgroup for almost 3 months and saw 5 people let go. Three of them were given no explanation. My boss kept whiskey at the office and drank on the job. I was told this is not uncommon. Everything about this job was horrific. I took it off my resume as soon as I left. It is embarrassing to admit having worked for Alliantgroup. The environment is much more like a cult than a workplace....Also, the reviews at the beginning are posted by upper management to try and cover up the fact that the company has an extremely high turnover rate with very unhappy employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganize and rethink the whole company

client service, teamwork, professionalism, intelligence, and collaboration

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunities are endless here. A true place to establish a long-term career.

ConsIt takes passion to succeed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Love waking up and going to work, amazing work environment, great job growth opportunities.

Senior Energy Modeler (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsWhat i love about alliantgroup is that it can enhance your talents and take them to the next level. My background is in architecture with a focus in sustainability. Working in different architecture firms, I wasn't able to use my talents to the fullest capacity. Once I began working in alliantgroup I saw immediate results finding tax deductions for several clients all over the country who work on energy efficient buildings. Now I am helping our economy, the environment, and architecture as we know it. In my eyes alliantgroup has been a blessing to myself, my passion, and my future.

ConsI honestly cannot say one bad thing about this company, it is the best job I have ever had in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have very minimal advice. Since I believe we have a great upper management, but I think if we focus a bit more on setting clear expectations, coaching individuals to improve their performance as well as their professional development, and prepare for the unexpected I think it will be a great way to manage the company.

Great Place to Start and Grow Your Career

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosalliantgroup provides a unique work environment with high energy and passionate employees. They provide an excellent opportunity to grow and gain knowledge across a multitude of industries. Good benefits and a ton of perks!

ConsHours can be long but the work is interesting and it's easy to make friends with your co-workers.

Take control of your career!

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsYou really do hold your career in your hands! You will be given as much work and responsibility as you want and can handle, and you will have ample opportunities to advance. In fact, your opportunities for advancement are much more available than in almost any other work place. Your hard work will be recognized. The training group and management give you all of the tools you need to excel, and there truly is an open door policy anytime you have a question. Any time you have questions or concerns, management is always available. On top of that, you get to work with a diverse group of talented, intelligent, and interesting professionals on a daily basis.

ConsThe hours can be long at times and the deadlines can stack up, but you are never alone in working through these challenges. While working long hours, typically during tax season, your comrades are there with you working and building camaraderie. You receive lots of project management training to help manage deadlines. Plus, if you ever get too bogged down, all you have to do is raise your hand and ask for help.

Worked for alliantgroup, LP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at alliantgroup, LP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for alliantgroup, LP CEO Dhaval R. Jadav. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by alliantgroup, LP employees.