alliantgroup, LP Reviews

112 reviews filtered by
  • Houston, TX Area
3.3
Dhaval R. Jadav

There is no such thing as a free lunch

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The catered food was great. After eating in a cafeteria at my previous job, this was a nice treat. The casual dress was also nice, but my guess on why this is allowed has to do with the fact that the company wants you to basically live at the office...might as well buy an Army cot and sleep next to your desk. I loved my co-workers. I have never had the pleasure of working with such intelligent people.

Cons

I knew this company was not a good fit for me from day one. I was at the office until 9:00 p.m. on my first day. I was told there would be a lot of training involved and there would be a steep learning curve, but I was not told that the training would begin at 7:00 p.m. and continue until late in the evening. This training typically goes on for a three month period. I felt like I was going through a desensitization process similar to what trafficked women experience before they are forced to prostitute themselves. "Don't worry, this won't last forever". By the time the weekends rolled around, I was too exhausted to do anything and I ended up sleeping most of the mornings away. Other weekends, I had to study for mandatory exams. The results of the exams were broadcast at meetings of 100+ people, so if you don't do well (A.K.A. use your personal time to study) everyone will be aware. I got a 99 on the first exam, so I'm not writing this because I don't have the ability, I just want to prevent other people from taking a job that will consume their lives. I didn't make it to the second exam because I found another job before I ended up in hospital with mono, like my team director (not kidding), from exhaustion.

The workload is crushing. I was required to include my cell phone number on my signature block and tell 40 companies with multiple contacts that I am available to them 24/7, which is the honest expectation of the company. 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m are client service hours and nights and weekends are when your expected to get your work done. I felt like an indentured servant. The lunch break at alliantgroup is similar to a unicorn...people have claimed to have seen them, but no one can find proof of their existence. I was directly told by my Project Manager that "We work all day, every day, through lunch".

Alliant markets itself as a true meritocracy. This is a blatant lie. The only reason there are so many opportunities for advancement is because the door on 3009 Post Oak is revolving. Every week that I was there, people either quit or got fired. The expectations are unrealistic and the work is not actually that difficult. The issue is the volume of the work. They hire a lot of new or recent graduates banking on the fact that they have student loans to pay and can't afford to quit a job without having another one lined up. There is not time to job hunt with the required hours at alliantgroup and even if an interview was secured, it would require you to locate that unicorn, saddle it and ride it to the interview.

Billing...let's talk about billing. There is extreme pressure to bill clients 50 hours per week per employee. There is actually a bonus given if employees hit the target. The company utilizes transactional billing practices, similar to a law firm. This translates to being able to bill, for example, 1.5 hours to a client when only 15 minutes was actually spent performing the task. The company says, the clients are aware of the billing practices, but I sat in on many calls and have never personally heard this being explained to a client. There are so many lawyers at the company that you could throw a rock and hit one, so I'm sure they have some type of clause or preventative measure in place to cover their tails.

How does one deal with the stress? The answer is alcohol of course. It's completely ok to drink at work. Mimosas at 9:00 a.m., no problem. People keep beer in the fridge and wine bottles on their desks. On occasion, the company even provides coolers full of alcohol and openly encourages drinking. Let's go play flogger on Post Oak now. Quitting time at alliantgroup coincides perfectly with closing time at The Galeria. Pedestrians beware.

One thing I have never seen is favoritism. Everyone is treated equally poorly, so don't worry about that. You will all be suffering together. Oh, an you better reply to all on the mass emails congratulating people you don't know on their promotions. Someone will notice if you don't. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what would happen if you don't participate, but if you plan to stick it out for a year, just do it and don't complain about it.

Seriously, think about it before you take a position here. There are only five and one star reviews on this company. That says something. There is no doubt in my mind that management "asks" employees to write the five star reviews. I wasn't fired. I left on my accord and this is an honest description of what I have experienced at alliantgroup. This was not my first job. I worked for a company 4 consecutive years previously and it is not realistic for a company to expect employee's to forego their personal lives for a job on a salary basis! The majority of employees at alliantgroup has been there under one year.

Advice to Management

The energy and time spent on recruiting and deceiving new candidates far exceeds the benefit you would receive retaining the talent you already have.

Don't open - Dead inside.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire absolutely anyone with a pulse. They provide poorly administered training that will run until 10 at night. You will save a lot of money on going out or visiting family and friends.

Cons

You may see a lot of conflicting reviews on this site regarding alliantgroup. Some highly critical, and some impossibly positive. Even if some of the negative reviews are just disgruntled employees, the positive ones speak for themselves (who actually writes like that??). In any event, if you are on the fence about accepting a job at this firm, let me provide some advice: ask what their turnover rate is. Or you could go with "How long is the tenure of an average employee", or "What are the daily hours of the average employee"?

While there is a huge chance they may lie to you, perhaps using some tired line about high performance or growth, try to read between the lines on the things they don't lie about. Regardless of position, they ask intrusive and inappropriate questions during the interview process. E.g., "If it was your son's 1st birthday and you had a party planned for him, would you miss it if the CEO needed you to stay late"? And let me tell you now, they would expect that you miss your son's birthday for a non-urgent meeting to deal with an unorganized CEO. But that's enough about on-boarding. If you make the mistake of joining, you have a whole new form of hell to face.

For starters, the entire organization is operated by a management "team"r who is underhanded, lacks any actual management skills, and frequently treats employees like they are a dime a dozen. One individual has ultimate authority over every single employee and they use that authority to shame or fire employees who don't play along with their ego trip. For front-line managers, that means daily meetings that begin in the late afternoon and drag on until whenever they feel like ending it. Could be 7, could be 10:30. You won't know until you see what kind of mood he is in. I'm not sure they know that some people actually look forward to going home and seeing their families.

The culture is reminiscent of a fraternity where people fall in and out of favor often and quickly. HR has no authority or ability to lead any type of change towards normalcy. They will tout that their culture is "fast paced" and alliantgroup is only for "high performers" and they will claim that is why others don't last here. That is simply not the truth. The lack of organization, fair evaluative metrics, general professional courtesy, and atrocious management practices leaves their turnover rate at just under 70% annually. That is not a joke.

All of the employees must appear engaged at all times, but virtually all are really trying to find a way out as soon as humanly possible. It's like Jonestown where when the cameras were on, everyone was happy and hard working. When those cameras are off however, the people are begging for a way out.

From a career path perspective, alliantgroup will not advance your career. It might actually hurt you. Most industry competitors look poorly on this organization and find it to be a "one-trick pony."

This is not a scorned employee post. I was a "high performer" and I left of my own volition. Now, I look back and wish someone would have stopped me from wasting any of my time on this dead-end organization. Good riddance.

Advice to Management

Sell the firm to a buyer that can actually manage it appropriately. You are all in way over your heads, and it shows.

So you want to hate your life?

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed dress code. The location of the building is amazing. You will be provided with free lunch everyday, some days breakfast and dinner too. During tax season you will get treats like froyo, popcorn, snow-cones, etc. On some Fridays they will bring beer and wine. You'l get a day off each tax season to celebrate the horror being over. No one bats an eye if you start drinking at your desk after client service hours at 6pm. You'll meet some awesome people that you'll dearly miss. Once one or all of your friends have been fired or quit, you'll meet up and discuss the PTSD you received from this place and how much better life is now that you are free.

Cons

They tell you you'll have to work long hours on occasion, usually during tax season. This is a lie. You will constantly be working long hours. During tax season expect to be working 12+ hour days with a 5 minute lunch break. On off season there will still be at least one day a week working 12+ hours. Might as well forget about your family, friends, and hobbies. alliantgroup is your life now. They will tell you to cancel your plans for a last minute meeting that consists of yelling at each person in the department for 2 hours. My department was very unorganized and constantly had mismanaged deadlines. Part of this was because it was a fairly new department with growing pains but nothing ever seemed to get better. The company has a very high employee turnover rate. On average, one person will leave or be let go from your department each week! Because of this turnover rate, information about the project or client is lost, leaving everyone else to scramble to figure out what is going on. Since this is happening on a weekly basis, there is a near constant air of confusion and fear. All in all, the company purposefully creates a high stress, overworked environment that will have you coming home either furious or crying, maybe even both.

Advice to Management

Get a life....Half of you act like overgrown children. Maybe stop creating rumors, playing favorites, and cursing out your employees during meetings. Actually take some management classes and learn how to deal with your employees.

Good Learning Experience I Want to Forget

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

I learned a lot working there over 5 years. It is a well run high performance workplace. The Controller and CFO are both very intelligent. I consider it a badge of honor that I survived and left on my own. Most people are fired or have a nervous breakdown.

Cons

I finally left because of the stress and long hours. I would not go back even if offered a better position or more pay. I get off work at 4:30 everyday at my new job and have way less workload. At alliantgroup management is very mentally and verbally abusive.

Advice to Management

I am sure they lose potential customers and prospective employees because of these negative reviews. I read the new reviews every few months and nothing changes.

There are great opportunities out there... This just isn't one of them!!

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda machines, free food, they pay for your insurance after you've been there a certain amount of time. That's about it.

Cons

Everything else. Management doesn't see the people who are actually working the long hours and promote or recognize them. They pick people they like the best and those are the people who get the credit. Those are often the folks who sneak out early and put their job responsibilities on the rest of the team. If that's who you are or strive to be then this is a great opportunity for you!

The hours are long but in some departments it's just for show. You will get called for meetings well into the night (literally- sometimes starting as late as 10pm after you've already worked a 12 hour day and there is no overtime!) and will definitely get hundreds of emails all night long. If you don't respond quickly enough (read: immediately) you will likely get called out as "not being a team player".

There is zero accountability from your management. The positive reviews tell you that there's so much transparency and you can just take complaints up the chain but the truth is that if you do take a complaint up, you will likely be fired. Management doesn't take too kindly to subordinates having any criticism of them. If you don't get fired, you will wish you did because there will likely be a team meeting that comes up and you will get berated in front of your entire department or in front of people you don't even work with. Public shaming is a big part of this company's "culture".

Speaking of culture... You are expected to attend after-hours events regularly and there is no personal reason that's good enough to miss. Speaking of personal life... Don't expect to keep yours! If you're fresh out of college (as most of these employees are) and aren't married or seriously dating anyone, this might be just fine but if you are married or have a family, you will quickly grow tired of the "raves" and happy hours.

It wouldn't be so bad if your management respected you and understood that not participating in one event doesn't mean you aren't on board or a team player but they don't.

You are also likely to discover that someone who has just graduated college and comes to the team with zero experience or professionalism will be making double what you are getting paid. How will you find this out? These kids will talk about their salaries and how they can't believe how much they make for the little they do! It's an absolute joke. Seriously. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Management has their heads so far up their own butts that any suggestions are guaranteed to fall on deaf ears. There's no point in trying to make suggestions. These reviews- the ones that are are attempting to tell the truth about this place- are only really going to benefit (HOPEFULLY) those considering jobs at this place. Don't let the shiny new building and glossy descriptions when you interview fool you.

Terrible!

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, free lunch, free parking

Cons

Management is terrible!! They treat you like dogs!!

Advice to Management

Treat people how you want to be treated!

Nightmare on Post Oak Street

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The new employees: like lambs to the slaughter every other Tuesday. It's so refreshing to see innocence and hope before the good ones go.

Cons

Everything; mainly because it's corrupt at upper management and it trickles down. Stress. Hours for nothing. Unethical business practices. Frat-House atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Management does not respond to advice, last time I checked. They would rather go on the offensive and post fake reviews on this site.

99.5% of the "good" reviews are fake. Turn back now and don't look back!

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No pros out weigh the cons. This company is the stereotypical corporate hell job. The hierarchy, entitlement, and treatment is absolutely disgusting.
    However, I did meet some amazing, bright people. Some people become the product of their environment and can get caught up in the work "culture." Others preserver and stick it out until they find a new job or reach their breaking point. I do not know if the founders understand how bad it is or if they choose not to know. They are brilliant men, but management is terrible. Another pro other than the friendships you may build is the pay. If you're fresh out of school, finding a job is like searching for Big Foot. Because of the growth and turnover rate, this company is always hiring. They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans. Additionally, their new building is a beautiful, new facility. That's about all I could think of.

Cons

First of all, management knows of the several bad and honest reviews that are out there. Instead of reflecting and improving, they ask their employees to post good reviews. That shows A LOT about a company; they will not accept their flaws and consider improvement. If you discuss with a director about the endless hours, unethical billing approach, or anything that should be a concern, they think you're not with the "culture." I suppose once you drink the kook aide, you're unable to handle constructive criticism. If anything happens, an employee who's been there longer gossips about you or if you make one mistake, they will never take you seriously. They are not realistic managers and will not care about you whatsoever. They are good at faking it in the beginning, but if you're not a suck up who works 80 hours a week, they won't care about you. The way some managers talk to employees is UNBELIEVABLE. Additionally, they expect you to handle emails after hours, regardless of what time it is. And instead of having one or two bosses, it's as if you have 10. No matter what deadlines you have, you must drop everything and assist a manager you don't even work with because he is important and you must serve. If you're a Project Coordinator, be ready to be treated like an incompetent idiot. The position was previously listed as administrative assistant, but it was changed I'm assuming for more people to apply. However, the position is completely administrative assistant. They are not flexible with your personal life, and the "training" is purely shadowing other than informational sessions on the tax incentive process. I had NO HR on boarding. I didn't even know that was a thing companies do until I started my new job. This isn't exactly HR's fault or project managers'. The upper management and directors lead the way. If you can handle working in an office that feels like a high school, be treated like scum, and work overtime every week, then you could survive here over a year.

Advice to Management

They know exactly what to change but don't care to do so or even think about it. They somehow tell themselves that the hundreds of people who quit and complain are just against them. My advice, look into a mirror I suppose.

Why on earth did I ever sign up for this abuse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Covered parking when it's raining. And the privilege to waste the day away responding to congratulatory emails. Cattle call lunches by floor. Leaving each day realizing just how stupid people really are.

Cons

Millennial cult working conditions at its finest. Run by maniacal self-serving, gluttonous buffoon's favoring impressionable and inexperienced youth that most likely came from broken homes fostering low self-esteems. Fear and verbal abuse will be instilled into your daily regimen. Don't dare speak up, I watched them haul people out like criminals just for having a (valid) opinion. If you want to be abused ...you've found just the right place. If you are educated with any self respect ...then spare your dignity and keep away! This place could easily be the next ENRON disaster.

Advice to Management

They won't listen! It would be easier to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Great view, terrible management

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and beverages, sometimes alcohol. A lot of eye candy

Cons

No work/life balance. The company makes entirely too much to be paying their employees so low and not rewarding them. Salaries are non negotiable.

The tax season hours are ridiculous and they try to compensate your time by feeding you and serving beer. I'd much rather be at home than getting fat and drunk at work. This is probably why half of the company is obese and lacking a social life.

Advice to Management

You all suck.

alliantgroup, LP Photos