alliantgroup, LP Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free food, great coworkers to work with (in 14 reviews)

• It is also great to experience a non-traditional corporate environment where hard work but not stuffiness are encouraged (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • This company has no work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Working late is a must, even when it's not tax season (in 26 reviews)

Good money, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to make pretty good money IF you negotiate a good starting salary, get promoted in a reasonable time for an excellent 10%+ raise, and hit your bonuses (there may be a lot of sucking up to obtain). There are a lot of good intelligent people working there (for the short time they are there). The culture is laid back and a good place for young people to start their careers (but not much opportunity for long term growth). The type of work is interesting and fulfilling. There are opportunities to make a significant difference in the business of clients.

Cons

Many factors associated with raises and bonuses are subjective wrapped in "objective" criteria and often times the factors impacting this criteria is out of your control. This causes employees to "project manage" strategically to get money rather than deliver good work product or customer service. The good employees leave quickly because they don't drink kool-aid doled out by management and the senior associates they have do their bidding. Those that do drink the kool-aid, spend a lot of time sniffing behind management to remain relevant while a lot of valuable hardworking employees are overlooked. With the amount of young people trying to get ahead, it starts to feel like a high school campus full of gossip and undercutting. The turnover rate is high because the seasoned professionals do not stay longer than it takes to secure another position. There are plenty of happy hours, parties, and out of work events that are disguised as voluntary employee appreciation events but employees are almost forced to participate to stay in management's good graces.

Advice to Management

Create operations that mirror the business model that is set forth. Management preaches autonomy but the everyday operations are more stringent than not. Management preaches flexibility, but makes employees jump through hoops to take advantage of it. Management tells employees to bubble up problems, but when this happens it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get action and then the employee is blamed for things falling through the cracks. Giving the proven employees a little more leeway would alleviate this rather than treating them like the children that work there. Management preaches a "work life integration" (which is different than a balance). Recognize that everyone does not want to spend all their time at work. The hours spent at the office are long enough that some people rather go home and spend time with family than participate in additional activities. It is not a slight on the company, it is an attempt at work life BALANCE aka time away from the office to counter the loooooooong hours spent at the office.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They cater lunch. In my opinion they only do this to keep people from leaving for lunch though, so I'm not sure it's a "pro" really. The new building is awesome, it's very clean and new-age. They also pay 100% of the employee's health care benefits, however, they make you wait 90 days before you can sign up. So look forward to using the health care exchange in the mean time...or paying a fine on next years taxes.

Cons

Long hours. Zero work-life balance. People talked about staying until 10 p.m. even outside of tax season, this was a regular thing. I was asked if I was available to attend a Saturday meeting my first week at the company because people just couldn't make time for a 20 minute meeting during the 10-12 hour work days. There is also a lack of management or any real guidance here. The company is growing so rapidly that people with 2 months more experience than you tend to act like managers dictate what you work on. My biggest disappointment was the lack of career opportunities at alliantgroup. The "promotions" didn't really bring a new level of responsibility, and the career ceiling was incredibly low. They also did a terrible job of explaining the work in the interviews. They say you "can't understand what they do until you work there." If they can't explain the job function, maybe that is indicative of the fact that the job has very little function in the first place. I spent 10 hours per day editing reports, writing reports, and sifting through tax returns to copy and paste numbers into an excel spreadsheet. That was certainly not what I was told I would be doing, or I can guarantee I would never have taken this job.

Advice to Management

Be far more transparent to people about what they will actually be doing at your company. Also, fix the benefits package. No 401k, having to wait 90 days for health care coverage when you know this will result in a fine for people, and making people accumulate paid time off 1.25 days per month...these are antiquated philosophies and are not competitive.

This place will suck the life out of you

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, nice new building, coworkers are awesome for the minute you get to work with them before someone gets fired or quits.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Management does not respect subordinates and berates them in the public forums of group/interdepartmental meetings. It's awful to be subjected to- even when you aren't the one being yelled at. It's a toxic culture but voicing your concerns will only result in getting you fired. You will experience so much turn over it will make your head spin.

Understand that most of the 5 star reviews are either written by the marketing department or are solicited from the employees who have just received a big (often undeserved) bonus. The people who get the bonuses are the ones who kiss up just the right way- not the people who work the hardest.

Something that always seemed fishy to me were the billing contests - at the end, someone (several people, depending on the structure of the particular contest) would get a big bonus check. The numbers didn't ever seem to add up for the work people were actually doing with their particular clients.

Advice to Management

Quit treating employees like dogs and start paying attention to those who actually work to benefit your organization. Quit touting the idea of a "true meritocracy" because trying to pick out the "cool kids" and playing favorites doesn't actually get the job done. You are running your own company into the ground by not making changes. It doesn't matter though. You won't take any advice and will continue to waste people's time and stick your heads in the sand about what the issues really are. This place is a joke and everyone seems to be in on it but you. Even many of your prized employees see through the nonsense and are just taking you for all they can get. It's easy to fake interest in this place. I did for as long as I could stomach it and took the perks and dealt with the ridiculous hours until I found something way better (not hard to do, by the way, because I am a "high performer" by anyone's standards and because alliantgroup is such a sinking ship). Best of luck to you.

Just not worth it..

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free food is great and the people are awesome.

Cons

Everything that the reviews say are true. You work extremely long hours during tax season or outside of tax season and it is just not fair to the employees. If you really need the money, work here.

Advice to Management

Try to incorporate a normal 9-5 lifestyle and than maybe the turnover won't be so high.

Avoid this place like the plague

I worked at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

Free food only at the Houston office. And they make you travel so much you get a lot of frequent flyer miles which you can never use because you will never ever have time for a vacation.

Cons

If you want to work18 hours a day, never be home, and make work your literal life... You should work here. This place is hell. They lie their way through the interview process to make them see like this fabulous company. Reality- a few top sales people make a ton of money ripping off clients and everyone else gets paid nothing to be their slaves. In the mere months I was there, 5 people quit. No one they hire has lasted more than 4 months because this place is jail. By the way, the term associate in their way means assistant. Trust me..... Don't even interview here.

Advice to Management

treat your staff better, realize even though you don't have lives normal people do.

Previous reviews are accurate.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

People, Facilities, Lunches, Money is decent

Cons

Management, Hours, Burn and Churn

Advice to Management

Follow your own core values.

There is no such thing as a free lunch

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The catered food was great. After eating in a cafeteria at my previous job, this was a nice treat. The casual dress was also nice, but my guess on why this is allowed has to do with the fact that the company wants you to basically live at the office...might as well buy an Army cot and sleep next to your desk. I loved my co-workers. I have never had the pleasure of working with such intelligent people.

Cons

I knew this company was not a good fit for me from day one. I was at the office until 9:00 p.m. on my first day. I was told there would be a lot of training involved and there would be a steep learning curve, but I was not told that the training would begin at 7:00 p.m. and continue until late in the evening. This training typically goes on for a three month period. I felt like I was going through a desensitization process similar to what trafficked women experience before they are forced to prostitute themselves. "Don't worry, this won't last forever". By the time the weekends rolled around, I was too exhausted to do anything and I ended up sleeping most of the mornings away. Other weekends, I had to study for mandatory exams. The results of the exams were broadcast at meetings of 100+ people, so if you don't do well (A.K.A. use your personal time to study) everyone will be aware. I got a 99 on the first exam, so I'm not writing this because I don't have the ability, I just want to prevent other people from taking a job that will consume their lives. I didn't make it to the second exam because I found another job before I ended up in hospital with mono, like my team director (not kidding), from exhaustion.

The workload is crushing. I was required to include my cell phone number on my signature block and tell 40 companies with multiple contacts that I am available to them 24/7, which is the honest expectation of the company. 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m are client service hours and nights and weekends are when your expected to get your work done. I felt like an indentured servant. The lunch break at alliantgroup is similar to a unicorn...people have claimed to have seen them, but no one can find proof of their existence. I was directly told by my Project Manager that "We work all day, every day, through lunch".

Alliant markets itself as a true meritocracy. This is a blatant lie. The only reason there are so many opportunities for advancement is because the door on 3009 Post Oak is revolving. Every week that I was there, people either quit or got fired. The expectations are unrealistic and the work is not actually that difficult. The issue is the volume of the work. They hire a lot of new or recent graduates banking on the fact that they have student loans to pay and can't afford to quit a job without having another one lined up. There is not time to job hunt with the required hours at alliantgroup and even if an interview was secured, it would require you to locate that unicorn, saddle it and ride it to the interview.

Billing...let's talk about billing. There is extreme pressure to bill clients 50 hours per week per employee. There is actually a bonus given if employees hit the target. The company utilizes transactional billing practices, similar to a law firm. This translates to being able to bill, for example, 1.5 hours to a client when only 15 minutes was actually spent performing the task. The company says, the clients are aware of the billing practices, but I sat in on many calls and have never personally heard this being explained to a client. There are so many lawyers at the company that you could throw a rock and hit one, so I'm sure they have some type of clause or preventative measure in place to cover their tails.

How does one deal with the stress? The answer is alcohol of course. It's completely ok to drink at work. Mimosas at 9:00 a.m., no problem. People keep beer in the fridge and wine bottles on their desks. On occasion, the company even provides coolers full of alcohol and openly encourages drinking. Let's go play flogger on Post Oak now. Quitting time at alliantgroup coincides perfectly with closing time at The Galeria. Pedestrians beware.

One thing I have never seen is favoritism. Everyone is treated equally poorly, so don't worry about that. You will all be suffering together. Oh, an you better reply to all on the mass emails congratulating people you don't know on their promotions. Someone will notice if you don't. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what would happen if you don't participate, but if you plan to stick it out for a year, just do it and don't complain about it.

Seriously, think about it before you take a position here. There are only five and one star reviews on this company. That says something. There is no doubt in my mind that management "asks" employees to write the five star reviews. I wasn't fired. I left on my accord and this is an honest description of what I have experienced at alliantgroup. This was not my first job. I worked for a company 4 consecutive years previously and it is not realistic for a company to expect employee's to forego their personal lives for a job on a salary basis! The majority of employees at alliantgroup has been there under one year.

Advice to Management

The energy and time spent on recruiting and deceiving new candidates far exceeds the benefit you would receive retaining the talent you already have.

So you want to hate your life?

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed dress code. The location of the building is amazing. You will be provided with free lunch everyday, some days breakfast and dinner too. During tax season you will get treats like froyo, popcorn, snow-cones, etc. On some Fridays they will bring beer and wine. You'l get a day off each tax season to celebrate the horror being over. No one bats an eye if you start drinking at your desk after client service hours at 6pm. You'll meet some awesome people that you'll dearly miss. Once one or all of your friends have been fired or quit, you'll meet up and discuss the PTSD you received from this place and how much better life is now that you are free.

Cons

They tell you you'll have to work long hours on occasion, usually during tax season. This is a lie. You will constantly be working long hours. During tax season expect to be working 12+ hour days with a 5 minute lunch break. On off season there will still be at least one day a week working 12+ hours. Might as well forget about your family, friends, and hobbies. alliantgroup is your life now. They will tell you to cancel your plans for a last minute meeting that consists of yelling at each person in the department for 2 hours. My department was very unorganized and constantly had mismanaged deadlines. Part of this was because it was a fairly new department with growing pains but nothing ever seemed to get better. The company has a very high employee turnover rate. On average, one person will leave or be let go from your department each week! Because of this turnover rate, information about the project or client is lost, leaving everyone else to scramble to figure out what is going on. Since this is happening on a weekly basis, there is a near constant air of confusion and fear. All in all, the company purposefully creates a high stress, overworked environment that will have you coming home either furious or crying, maybe even both.

Advice to Management

Get a life....Half of you act like overgrown children. Maybe stop creating rumors, playing favorites, and cursing out your employees during meetings. Actually take some management classes and learn how to deal with your employees.

Good Learning Experience I Want to Forget

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

I learned a lot working there over 5 years. It is a well run high performance workplace. The Controller and CFO are both very intelligent. I consider it a badge of honor that I survived and left on my own. Most people are fired or have a nervous breakdown.

Cons

I finally left because of the stress and long hours. I would not go back even if offered a better position or more pay. I get off work at 4:30 everyday at my new job and have way less workload. At alliantgroup management is very mentally and verbally abusive.

Advice to Management

I am sure they lose potential customers and prospective employees because of these negative reviews. I read the new reviews every few months and nothing changes.

Terrible!

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, free lunch, free parking

Cons

Management is terrible!! They treat you like dogs!!

Advice to Management

Treat people how you want to be treated!

RSS Feed </> Embed