alliantgroup, LP

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans (in 14 reviews)

• I have never worked for a company where hard work was so often recognized and rewarded (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Career Growth Opportunities!!

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

it's a company that provides great opportunities for career development through internal training courses and hands on experience. If you express to management what career path you want to take they will work with you to achieve that. Overall, it's a fun working atmosphere and i've met a lot of great people. The company really takes notice of those that work hard and try to make sure it doesn't go unnoticed.

Cons

You are expected to work longer hours but management is very clear on that during the interview process. Everyone works with a team and I believe the first team you are assigned to can make or break your first experience/impression of the company.

9 years and counting...

Current Employee - Senior Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Joined the company in its infancy & have enjoyed every minute of developing our firm into the company it is today. Like any start up, it has required commitment, passion, and drive. Every minute I have invested in this company has come back 10 fold. Coming from an entrepreneur family, I know that in order to be successful you have to be committed and work hard. I will never forget a statement Joe Theismann made which has driven me since, " the first 9 hours of your day are for your survival, every other minute you spend on your career is for your success!!" It is up to you to decide what you want out of life, but I am proud to say I have a successful career for life at alliantgroup and work life balance that allows me to spend time with family and friends.

Cons

In speaking with owners across various industries, I would say that one of the hardest struggles for any company today is finding talented people who are committed and driven and don't just expect things to be handed to them. Thanks to the investment and commitment that I have received during my tenure at alliantgroup, I have developed into the professional I am today and it is now up to my generation to develop the next generation of our firm.

I Joined a Cult.

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Alliantgroup is in desperate need of employees to make up for the high turnover, so it's very easy to get a job offer.

Cons

It became weird after about three months of working here. I started after graduating law school as an alternative to the traditional law firm. I knew their corporate culture was fast paced, so I was drawn to the “high energy” aspect of it. The company posts their Cultural Tenants around the office, and we are encouraged to display them in our practice. The Cultural Tenants are the following: high performance, proactive, high energy, raving fans, transparency, etc.

We were made to recite the Cultural Tenants of the company. We sat around a boardroom while the CEO grilled us on examples of how we display the Cultural Tenants, and what it means to us. During company events, we are asked by a director what the tenants are supposed to get really excited.

My team leader pulled me into an office and warned me not to associate with certain people. He didn’t want me associating with the “low performers” and become in disfavor with the directors. The directors play favorites, and I needed to be one of them. The only problem was I noticed the favorites all had the same characteristics: they are unethical, lacked real world experience, and do anything to please the directors. The favoritism is getting old because the ‘leaders’ are children.

We are told how to act when visitors come in the office to look productive and happy. We were told what to say at company events and where to stand at parties so we looked engaging. If I leave for lunch, I am asked where I was. If I don’t attend just one company event, I am questioned about my commitment. Someone is always watching and listening. It’s a disappointment, and the smart lawyers leave.

Value the talented people rather than those who will say anything to please you.

Fun-loving people who work hard

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alliantgroup is really a unique environment that brings together people of very different backgrounds. I have learned a lot in the time that I've been here and I definitely appreciate the collaborative and friendly nature of the other employees here. It is also great to experience a non-traditional corporate environment where hard work but not stuffiness are encouraged.

Cons

The training period is pretty intense especially for those who trained outside of tax law. There is always help to get over the learning curve however, and everyone really wants you to succeed.

The ever-evolving development plan is great. Keep bringing in people with new, good ideas to make it even better.

Turn Growing Pains Into Your Professional Gains

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

alliantgroup, stands head and shoulders above our competition in the number of clients we serve, the scope and quality of the resources we've built to serve them and the results we achieve for them. The work we perform for our clients expand their capacity to hire and grow; adding new jobs and driving greater profits to the bottom-line. In many cases, even adding to their local economies.

Employees have exceptional opportunities for professional development, advancement and financial reward; given their willingness to put in the hard work and having a thick (mature) skin.

Executive management is committed to the hiring, investing in and rewarding exceptional people… all to build an extraordinary company. They have proven their ability to achieve unprecedented growth and success in our service niche. They ask nothing from others that they don't require of themselves.

Cons

Not For The Meek.

1. In an effort to disrupt the norms of "business as usual" and to spawn creativity... we are pushed out of our comfort zones and encouraged to find our own best-path to achieving our objectives, which includes, personally aligning with individuals and tapping into resources throughout the company.

This has facilitated new procedures, better practices and helped many people to achieve great results. Unfortunately, perhaps due to the high number of younger associates and managers; getting pushed outside of one's comfort zones makes some folks recoil rather than branch out. So those building new, productive relationships are sometimes viewed as a "favorite" or even, part of a "clique" while those who stagnate, don't get the attention they'd like. Some of this, is having a polarizing effect on the workforce, as evidenced here on glassdoor.

2. Like a lot of companies that experience fast growth, alliantgroup seems to have hit that transitional zone between small and big... commonly referred to as growing pains.

The broadening requirements of front-line managers may be outpacing the skills and growth of young managers. The demand for increased output, performance and metrics have them stretched thin. Individual and team performance is highly visible to everyone. So are the accolades and well intended, admonishments associated with that performance. Again, perhaps, due to the experience level of front line managers, some may try to hide their short comings and in doing so, alienate some of their staff. These dynamics have resulted in undesirable, turnover.

At the same time, Glassdoor's platform allows anyone, including competitors, to post anything; personal or professional, the truth or a lie, supportive or vindictive. Each posted with the intent to elevate or diminish the readers perception. This has led to a false impression of a thankless, burn’em and churn’em culture; jading potential candidates and providing an naysayer-community for under-performers, cut from the team.

As for the intent of my post... it's to speak sincerely, of positive and negative elements I've observed. alliantgroup is not perfect. What company is? I am, however, confident that unlike so many other firms, alliantgroup it committed to do whatever it takes to get there and will greatly reward those who make it happen.

I can't wrap this up with out speaking to posts I've read about people "being called out" on their mistakes, in front of others.

I've played team sports most of my life and find it much like being part of a company. Both strive to be the best, to capture the title. Both recruit the best talent they can get yet, not all of the talent makes the grade. There is always competition within the ranks and a quarterback is always more popular than a lineman.

As for "being called out" on a sports team... It happens daily. It's always, direct, personal, in your face and embarrassing, if not humiliating. Sometimes it means getting chewed out, sometimes push ups in front of our squad or running a couple laps while the rest of the group take a knee to watch. Like it or not, we do it. No whining, no complaining about the coach.

At alliantgroup critique is direct and yes, when in a group-meeting setting, it feels embarrassing. It's not a "you suck" approach but rather, "tell me why you chose that action" or "in retrospect what would you do differently." So it's an opportunity to learn and grow because when a mistake is discussed so are alternative approaches that can be taken to avoid those mistakes going forward. Doing so in a meeting also helps peers learn at the same time. That's why I suggested earlier, that employees needed a thick (mature) skin.

The fact is, alliantgroup is quite a remarkable company with a great track record of successful growth, employee development, unlimited upside and yes, with the aches and pains... but opportunities of an amazing company.

If I had the "right advice" I'd be a C-level manager and we'd be over these hurdles ;-)

We have rising stars on the horizon and those who shine brightly, today. I only hope they're not destined to a comets life, burning out and darkening our skies.

That said, I know top management is aware of the challenges balancing personal and professional lives... and are committed to helping us find that balance.

loving the opportunity

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

this place is the most refreshing work environment I have ever been involved with. Everything is on the table with no worries about where you stand, if you have a problem you are encouraged to elevate it up fast. I was told in my interview that people with desire do well here..and that has been incredibly prophetic. i'm advancing based on my performance and not if someone likes me...yep, completely different from the law firms I was apart of.

Cons

want more updates on all the cool stuff going on within the company

keep doing what you do...naysayers will always be around

I should have joined 5 years ago...

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong ethical-driven, professional and passionate culture; forward-thinking, progressive and evolving environment ; talented and intelligent co-workers who enhance professional growth; high value proposition for clients: fast-paced spirit and can-do mentality; results-driven, high-performance reward system; great benefits and work environment; open-door policy, our voices are heard.

Cons

It depends on who you are as a person. There are challenges here as there are with any other company....especially high-growth companies. At this time leaders and performers are needed. Ones who want to be the best and are not afraid to be challenged so that they are on an accelerated path toward that end. Our clients do not pay for average, but rather for our commitment to excellence. Although it's not always easy, when we get challenged along the way, it is in an effort to drive us forward - as individuals and as a company. At first, it was somewhat unnerving - but when you realize it is coming from an honest place, you understand the positive impact it has on all. Be the best in the world at something!

I truly believe I made the best decision of my life when I joined alliantgroup and wish I would have done so sooner. I have never seen such an opportunity to thrive both professionally and financially and am grateful for it.

Enhance the investment in management and leadership development; continue to have an open-door policy; continue to drive us to be the best.

Rewarding career for smart, driven performers

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A talented group of professionals who share a passion for client service and a fun, rewarding work environment. Performance is frequently rewarded through bonuses and extra time off. Lunch catered daily. Those who show leadership ability are promoted quickly. Promotions are merit-driven and not based on tenure. Awesome new building with great views and an in-house gym (under construction).

Cons

Tax season hours can be intense due to commitment to client service and meeting project deadlines. However, dinner is catered daily and co-workers blow off steam with ping-pong, football, etc.

Get on this rocketship

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Alliantgroup is an awesome place for career-minded, driven, and high performing people who are looking for an opportunity to lead and be great. This company has some of the smartest, most driven people that I have ever met - and it offers you an amazing opportunity to train with and learn from the best of the best.

Cons

The growth here has come with challenges but along with that growth, there are so many opportunities to learn, develop professionally, and accomplish more than you ever imagined. Management here encourages and demands greatness. If you want to hide in the shadows - this is not the place for you.

Keep pushing for greatness and not accepting mediocrity.

Great Place To Work

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

alliantgroup provides every opportunity to achieve professional success. Management has an open door policy and they are willing to discuss any issue or suggestion that you have. The average starting salary is highly competitive compared to other Tax Firms, along with excellent bonus incentives. Along with FREE catered lunches every day and FREE catered dinners every night during tax season. They also offer a complimentary Wellness Program that promotes healthy food choices and weekly Fitness Programs; they are also in the process of building us a new gym.

Cons

During tax season the hours are longer than the normal 9-5 job; but that is the name of the game for ALL Tax Firms. Success comes with hard work and dedication. If you want to be successful then all you have to do is work for it. Plus with all of the tax season perks that alliantgroup offers the time literally flies by.

My advice to management is focus on hiring individuals that have more work experience, because these kids that are fresh out of college/law school do not realize how good they have it here. allintgroup goes above and beyond to reward their employees and some people just take that generosity for granted.

alliantgroup, LP Photos