alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.8

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free Food for your stomach while feeding your Ego (temporarily) (in 13 reviews)

• I have always been rewarded for all the hard work I put into the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work is a must

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide lunch and dinner during tax season. "raves" occur a few times a year where alcohol is provided.

Cons

Working late is a must, even when it's not tax season. They pay poorly, no bonuses provided unless upper level, and promote within the company only when you put in 70 plus hour work weeks (weekends included).

Value every worker and show your appreciation to those who work hard, not just the favored one sin the company.

The best decision I've ever made was to accept a position with alliantgroup, LP!

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We help U.S. businesses every day! During the recent economic downturn, we heard story after story of the companies whose doors stayed open and kept employees due to the dollars we helped them receive! This is truly THE most gratifying job in the world!

Management and Senior colleagues are approachable and encouraging; everyone truly wants to see you succeed beyond your wildest dreams!!

An awesome new building in Houston with amazing views and lots of open space to collaborate with colleagues!

Cons

Don't come here if you don't want to grow! You'll be challenged on a daily basis to be your best!

DISSAPOINTMENT WAS SO YESTERDAY

Current Employee - I'm NOT In Management, I'll Say That  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - I'm NOT In Management, I'll Say That in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

First off… No One told me to write this. This was triggered when I was interviewing a candidate; talent acquisition came to me and said that my candidate declined a second interview, I was shocked and disappointed at the same time because my skillset is very unique and only 3 other people in this company can do what I do. I questioned “Was it because I told him that this isn’t your typical “8a-5p” job?” She replied, “No, we got hit pretty hard on glass door.” So I went and read the reviews, with a doleful look and to my dismay I wanted to write to all you future, current and past alliantgroup employees.

These people on here are clearly disappointed. Disappointment and expectations go together. The greater your expectations are – the greater the disappointment (my candidate for example). Disappointment is a cousin of courage. Courage comes before the action, to be COURAGEOUS is to be prepared, to have faith in your abilities to succeed, to put aside doubt and fear when tackling the difficult, and to have an understanding of what our culture is like and reality – these people evidently did not understand our culture.

Disappointment plays a role in failure, and honestly that is why these people are not here. PERIOD. This is a high-performance culture, you either get it – or – you don’t. Even I have been told that I was not a “High-performer” but in my mind I am, did that let that stop me… NO! It made me want it more. That mentality is welcomed here and that is why I am still here and will continue to grow, because as much as I work on my professional growth, it strengthens my personal growth as well.

When you are coping with reality not being what you “hoped”, the quickest way out of your situation is to put the experience behind you. Blaming others and living in the past is reliving the pain and reinforcing it- in time you become bitter and cynical about your talents and your future.

To Current Employees: If you are unhappy – LEAVE. You deserve the best, this place isn’t for you, it’s ok, and you can leave, make room for people who do want to be here! Why collect a paycheck, why eat their food, why go on company outings (which is regularly), why participate on golf scrambles and trips and all the special things that they do for us? You people are the clear definition of “INSANE” because you are repeating the same action and expecting a different result or some miracle to happen and let’s be honest… you all are low-performers and it’s time pack up your nice desk, say good bye to the cool people you have met, the nice bonus’ that you get at the end of the year, the extravagant parties that you so much enjoy being part of. You’re bitter and cynical, the reason you are on board is because you do reap the ‘benefits’ that alliantgroup has to offer.

To Prior Disgruntled Employees: Your disappointment is on you and only you. It is clearly defined what our culture is, and you didn’t succeed. Bottom line. Own it. Change for the future. Lesson Learned (hopefully)

I have worked in the corporate and service industry for over 15 years. I have some credibility, I’ve been at the bottom and I’ve been at the top. I don’t always make sense, I mess up, I make mistakes and I’m stubborn…I’ve been told this by senior management myself. Stubborn people have an advantage when they channel their stubbornness into positive action. We simply refuse to give up, settle for less and keep trying! THAT is the type of person that needs to work here. If you want to be challenged, rewarded, make great friends, be around the prodigious people in this industry that we serve then this is for you.

I’ll leave with this: Disappointment belongs to YESTERDAY – to hold on to it is to invite future failure. Not having it your way 100% is life. To expect perfection in any form is denying reality. The reality is 1) you’re either unhappy and need to take responsibility of your future or 2) stop bad-mouthing a company in which you feel “disappointed” – Move On. It was SOOO YESTERDAY!

Great Health Benefits
    Lots of Perks
    Rewarded for good performance
    Based on a metric system of set deliverables
    Awesome vacation (can only take during certain months but it is a TAX company)
    Professional Growth
    Personal Growth
    If you don't fit in one place they will put you in another if you ask
    Work among highly intelligent motivated people
    Quarterly Team Building Outings

Cons

If you are looking for that 80-20 O&G work it's not for you this is 9-6, lunches and dinners paid for you. People who say they can't leave... BS, I leave to go walk every day - we are even building a gym in our building which I will be at every day.

Need to get with Talent Acquisition and make sure you all are on the right page. Houston is growing rapidly no reason we can't have amazing talent at alliantgroup. TA is now on the right path. Skill set and Culture is huge. Honestly you should look for people that have been in the "client service industry" while going through school.

They work hard, they are used to long hours and would be very appreciative of all the perks this company has to give.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarded for rewarding work.

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a challenging, fast-paced, highly rewarding environment. I get the opportunity to find America's small and mid-sized businesses much needed tax refunds for them and, boy, are they grateful. I have had heard business after business tell me: "Thank you. We are really grateful for alliantgroup's effort because it allowed us hire additional employees or buy a new piece of equipment that is essential to our company's continues growth and success" And, it feels really good to hear how grateful these companies are. There aren't many companies out there that serve the heartbeat of the American economy, its small and mid-sized businesses; but alliantgroup is one that does so admirably. It is incredibly rewarding work.

While working here I found that my effort has never gone without being rewarded by alliantgroup. It is a true meritocracy! I have shown the aptitude and ability to excel at this company and I keep getting rewarded in different ways - raises, performance-based bonuses, discretionary bonuses, all-expense paid trips, gift certificates, and other perks.

This is the only company I have worked for that truly appreciate and cares for its employees. they cater food daily for lunch, provide health and dental care to all of its employees, and has hired a Director of Health and Wellness to educate its employees on fitness and nutrition, put on optional fitness classes, coordinate running/walking groups, etc..

I couldn't be happier!

Cons

The continued construction in our new building can be distracting.

Please continue to take care of and reward your employees.

Amazing company with truly incredible people

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing and talented people. Result-oriented culture that rewards those that break the mold and challenge the status quo. The passion for client service, passion for growth and team-based environment gives alliantgroup an incredible edge. There are clear expectations, performance planning and feedback and coaching for those that have the commitment, perseverance, and hunger to succeed!

Cons

There are no cons to share.

Management does an great job of investing in its people. Management coaches, molds, and inspires - keep it up!

CHANGE is needed

I worked at alliantgroup, LP as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Free food, great coworkers to work with

Cons

Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance

Mean Girls Meets Wannabe Wolf of Wall Street

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

1. Free food. If you don't mind getting fat. Sometimes provided as many as 3 times a day. Which means without a doubt that your boss expects you to work through every meal.

2. The company "promotes transparency". Welcome to your glass cubicle, where everyone can and will be spying on you. Favoritism and snitching is not only valued but is promoted and initiated by supervisors.

3. If you are male, you might be given the opportunity for growth within the company. If you are female, you might be given the opportunity to move around within the company to various positions, but your career will definitely not see any growth.

Cons

Let me tell you a story…..

Poor little alliantgroup, forced to lie and con people into believing that this might be a great company to work for! This company is in cahoots with various staffing companies, so for your own sake, take heed of red flags. Also note, that when an employee of alliantgroup wins an internal award they are REQUIRED to write a positive review of the company online. Those will be the only positive reviews you will ever find about this company.

Red flag: You will be painted a picture that alliantgroup is the next "Google". That alliantgroup has a young fun culture; where the amount of time and effort you put in as an employee will directly impact your career. That your career is in your hands and you can make what you want of it. That drive and professionalism are valued characteristics. You might believe this for a while, but when you're done drinking the kool-aide, you will begin to see the truth. And trust me, the kool-aide always runs out….

Red Flag: Working for the firm in the Wolf of Wall Street would have been a more accurate description of this company. However, imagine that all of your supervisors are Regina George, but not nearly as pretty or skinny. Also imagine that all of their assistants are Gretchen Wieners, plotting how to get closer to their boss and how to get you out of the picture. Lastly, imagine you get paid a lot less. A LOT LESS. Now are you starting to see the picture?

Red Flag: The only people who are permanent/full time employees are those who are hired directly. If you were hired through a staffing agency you can bet ALL of your pretty pennies that you are temp-to-hire. Your agency will tell you to your face that you were hired directly, but once you try to turn in a time sheet, alliantgroup will tell you that you’re not, and you need to fill out the correct “temp-to-hire” timesheet. Welcome to the world of deception! Put nicely.

Red Flag: Should you chose to continue to work for alliantgroup as a temp-to-hire, under the assumption that they will honor your contract and hire you permanently upon its’ completion, assume otherwise. alliantgroup will not hire you, nor many others permanently because they don’t know when you will stop drinking the kool-aide. When you do start to see the reality of it all, should you choose to respect yourself and your career and stand up for yourself, they will fire you. And they certainly don’t want to have to pay you unemployment, disregard that you never had any benefits to begin with, that’s out of the picture.

Red Flag: You will have to beg for time off. You absolutely will have to beg for it, and if you get it, you will be made to feel guilt about it regardless of the fact that you are taking time off WITH OUT pay. Feel bad, you’re a baaaaad person!

Red Flag: Don’t get to close to anyone; if you do they will separate you. This will either happen by moving you to a new department, a different floor, or firing one of you.

BEST WORDS OF ADVICE:
    Interview at alliantgroup, there’s a 99% chance that you will be hired. Then use their offer as leverage to get a better job somewhere else.

For those of you who still choose to go ahead and “see what it’s like for yourself” to work at alliantgroup, Glassdoor will be here for you when it’s over and you desperately want some one to know the truth.

1. When you tell your employees that you have an "open door policy", you might want to add that this policy applies only to your favorite employees.
    2. The amount of bribes you dole out will never be able to keep the great employees from walking away.
    3. The amount of money you make does not equal the amount of success you have managing your employees.
    4. If you hired a person to do a job, you should expect that they can do it on their own. Otherwise why don't you just do both jobs if you're going to micromanage.

Absolutely Awful. How are those "big a" 's for ya?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays more because they know how awful it is to be there.
    Has a young, laid back crowd.
    Free food.

Cons

No professionalism by upper management.
    Can't learn a thing from upper management because they're all too busy talking bad about their employees and gossiping.
    Horrible training, direction, and support.
    You won't get noticed unless you stay until after 9:00.
    This company is seriously a joke. Everyone sleeps with each other, including upper management.
    It might sound good when interviewing, but don't make the mistake. 70% of people quit within a year of working here. Save your time.

Advice? They don't listen to anybody except themselves.

Unprofessional in an unhealthy work environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for less than a year

Pros

-During the tax season, they'll bring in good food from good restaurants for dinner and sometimes lunch
    - $5 lunch daily
    - Garage parking
    - free soda vending machines
    - fun parties (halloween costume party, christmas pod decorating party, etc)

Cons

- Management take advantage of the fact that they are higher up than you. They treat you like crap.
    - So much overtime hours. If you leave before 6:30pm, you'll get questioned as to why you "left so early" when your scheduled hours are until 6pm.
    - They'll rarely notice your work - unless you're a favorite.
    - Everyone WILL talk crap about you and those words will fly around QUICK
    - They'll hire anyone. I've met people who have a degree in Chemistry, Psychology, Art, etc and their job has NOTHING to do with what they got their degree on.

I shouldn't be afraid of my supervisor. My supervisor is the one I am supposed to look up to and ask for help if I need help. Also, encourage your employees to do more instead of making them feel like they'll never be good enough for you. Help them with the things you want them to get done. Also, help your temps to become perms. If there's something you disslike about them, let them know so they can improve on it and become a perm within the company. Don't let them just hang there as a temp for more than their 90 days probation. If they've been with the company for more than 90 days, why not make them permanent? If you didn't like them, let them go before the 90 days is over.

I am surprised the firm has survived for ten years.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) The Work - The work is actually interesting. You will spend a lot of your work day talking to your clients and learning about several different industries.
    2) Food - The firm provides free sodas, $5 for the building's cafeteria, and brings in food during tax season. Additionally, on special occasions, breakfast and afternoon treats will be provided as well. On the downside, eating healthy in the office is difficult.
    3) Co-workers - There was not a single associate I did not like on my team and there are definitely a lot of friendships I will maintain. While I do not regret leaving the firm, I do miss seeing my co-workers every day.
    4) Career Opportunity - Within approximately three months, you will be running your own studies, if not before then. You will get your first promotion in six months and your second a year after that.
    5) Social Activities - The firm provides several social activities for its employees including, free movie nights for the latest blockbusters, happy hours, team outings, and office parties.

Cons

1) Work hours - I had friends who worked at big law firms making three times as much as I did and worked less than I did. During the interview, the firm talked about work/life integration and spun it as the firm creates an environment where you, the associate, will enjoy being. This is utterly false. Employees are at work as much as they are because the firm expects so much that you are forced to abandon the rest of your life to try to meet their expectations. During tax season, I usually worked (either in the office or at home) until midnight plus weekends. The other six months of the year, I usually worked at the office until 8PM and always struggled to meet the firm's expectations.

2) Distractions - I never found the atmosphere in the office to be conducive for several reasons. First, there are too many people Several employees will ask you the same question about the same client every day. Decorum usually breaks down around 4PM The firm expects you to respond to every email and phone call within 5 minutes. (In comparison, most time management tips will tell you it is more efficient to check your email only a few times a day to minimize distractions and increase productivity).

Additionally, But nothing the firm condones minimizes distractions. People will ask you the same question five times every day and office decorum usually breaks down around 4PM, which makes it even more difficult to get any work done. So basically, you try to meet every deadline after shooting yourself in both hands and feet. Oh, and if you try to wear headphones to drown out of distractions in the office, you will be seen as not being 100% in.

3) Constantly changing procedures - In an effort to deal with the high employee turnover, the firm is constantly changing procedures to improve the transition of an unfinished study from the employee who just left the firm to the new employee. The procedures do nothing to address the real problem, high employee turnover, and only create new work for the current employees, which results in higher employee turnover. Plus, procedures are announced before they are finalized and live dates are never announced. If employees don't check every day to make sure a new form hasn't been released, you will undoubtedly caught off guard some 23 days later when the form is finally on the server and is now required. Additionally, management will arbitrarily enforce procedures that had not been required for sometime. And when you are puzzled by the new procedure management will not say "this is something we have let slide for some time, but is now something we are cracking down on," but "This has always been the procedure. I don't know what you are talking about when you say you came into my office yesterday and things were different."

4) The firm thinks it is amazing - The company does not believe it is doing anything wrong. If you cannot meet a deadline because you have too much work, it's your fault for not being more efficient with your time. If an associate quits, it's because a) he/she has health problems that requires a leave of absence, b) other employees scared the employee away, or c) he/she cannot take ownership of his/her own career and wants an environment they can just sit around. If the company was so amazing, they wouldn't have coerce current employees into writing favorable reviews for this website. In the past six months, they have pushed out some amazing senior associates and associate directors because they were no longer 100% committed to the firm. Everyone gets burnt out after working as much as the firm expects and the firm's response isn't to thank it's employees but to push them out when they begin to stumble. One caveat, the firm LOVES competition and will hold competitions that will reward the top 1% for being the best and push the other 99% of the firm to the breaking point or out the door.

6) Billing - During my interview, I was told 99% of the firm makes its billing goal. Based on my experience this is not true. I made my monthly billable goal four times and never made

I really enjoyed the work we did, but the firm made it impossible for me to work there. You really need to start caring about employee retention. Listen to your employees and address their concerns. If what was said during the meetings is true, last year the firm hired 300 people, which works out to 300 people leaving the firm as well. Every employee who leaves is a bridge you are burnt. After my third month, I stopped referring friends to the firm. By the sixth, I was afraid to tell strangers who I worked for because they inevitably repeated said negative things about the company they heard from friends.

Worked for alliantgroup, LP? Contribute to the Community!