alliantgroup, LP

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.6

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans (in 14 reviews)

• I have always been rewarded for all the hard work I put into the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Why did I accept a job here?

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

$5 for lunch each day, serious overtime possibilites, great starting pay for entry level professionals, met some great people working there

Cons

Honestly, almost everything...
    Overtime is definitely required and never optional
    Do not value your personal life whatsoever
    Horrible transparency policy
    Employees are afraid to discuss certain issues with upper management b/c they may be fired the next day
    High high high turnover rate...I have never seen so many people come and go in such a short period of time. My first week there, 7 people quit.
    Mangement does not value employees at all, they just need hands to actually get the job done
    High level stress environment
    The so called managers are rude and undermining. The way they are allowed to speak to one another is unheard of. I couldn't believe how some of the upper management was treating/speaking to project coordinators, client relations associates, etc.
    Favortism is a huge norm here

You need to seriously consider the way this company is ran. There is a lot of potential in your employees , but you don't even begin to tap into that. Almost everyone is unhappy and over worked. If you don't figure how to appreciate your employees, and not by just buying them food, you will continue to lose great people.

DO NOT BELIEVE GOOD REVIEWS!!! This is management trying to help ratings!!!!

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

There are some great individuals who work for this firm, it's sad to see them suffer as well.

Cons

Not sure there is enough room - first off the "great reviews" are that of the management firm. They are REQUIRED to post raving reviews on this site. They mistreat their employees, treat them like disposable individuals, they have no consideration for their employees. Don't be sucked in by the great pay and opportunity for growth. Chances are you wont last long enough to experience that growth regardless. If you have a family, a spouse, or treasure your time with friends, this is not the job for you. 60-80 hours a week is the norm and travel is a must. THIS WILL BE YOUR LIFE!!!!! The CEO and management are cruel and demeaning, public humiliation is an everyday humiliation. The firm calls this transparency, however they will never accept that they too need improvement.

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR. I wasn't let go, or fired, this is not because I am mad. I left on m own terms for my own sanity.

Please understand that you have many talented individuals working for you, these people are not meant to be used and tossed out when you have drained them of everything they have.

The most abusive, unhealthy environment I have ever experienced in a workplace.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met some really great people that I remain friends with, and for that I’m thankful. However, I have never felt so belittled, bullied, and beleaguered as I did when I worked at Alliantgroup. Yeah, that was alliteration. I went there.

Heads up, every single one of the 5 Star Reviews you’ll read here is from somebody who got an internal award or promotion at Alliantgroup. They are required to write one upon receiving such an accolade.

As for the negative reviews, they are all true. I did not believe them when I took the job, figuring those particular people just had a bad experience personally. Upon accepting the position I quickly realized these negative experiences are across the board. Every single person (including the very higher-ups causing the issues) is miserable, and most are actively looking for another job. The amount of turnover is unheard of.

Do. Not. Take. A. Job. Here.

If you do, to quote Arrested Development, you will have made a “huge mistake”.

Cons

This company was sold to me as a “young professional, work hard/play hard, Google-type” environment. So, perhaps naively, I assumed the company would actually live up to the expectations it set during the interviews. I came in expecting to work my butt off yet be rewarded or at least mildly appreciated for it. This assumption was so far from the truth I’m surprised the interviewers weren’t snickering as they lied straight to my face.

I thought I had seen everything that could be wrong about a workplace prior to taking this job. From the illegal billing practices to next-level insane micromanagement, my experience at Alliantgroup taught me new and improved ways to foster an abusive environment and run a company completely into the ground.

For those considering taking at job at Alliantgroup, allow me to educate you:

1. How to succeed at Alliantgroup.

This company consistently pushes away its top performers in favor of employees who will put more effort into cheerleading than doing their jobs. I have certainly worked at companies where the employees who drank the kool-aid also consistently worked the hardest out of anybody. There’s nothing wrong with towing the party line because you want to do a great job. The problem is when the company does not care about the “great job” and rewards only those blindly touting its supposed merits.

The focus at Alliantgroup is not doing good work. Nor is it doing mediocre work, nor is it working at all. You will get in trouble for leaving on time, even if your work is done. Prepare to be interrogated about every single detail of your day--by more than one person. Please note that nobody cares if you are actually working, the higher ups are only concerned with the amount of (billable) hours you take while maintaining the illusion of working. Even if you’re looking at Pinterest until 10pm, wasting the company’s time and the client’s money is a job well done at Alliantgroup.

Which brings us to…

2. Meetings.

You will have one nearly every day, and the topics on the agenda will never get covered. Rather, your department will be expected to trap itself in a conference room for 3 hours in order for the managing director to get his kicks by publicly calling out specific people for imagined lack of performance. When an executive has no concrete issue for which to bully you, he or she will either take a personal jab or manufacture a situation in which you are pushed to react and then belittle you for taking things too seriously. God forbid if you have a legitimate question to ask, you will be called an idiot for not already knowing the answer. Shame on you for trying to learn.

This is textbook manipulation, by the way, and the amount of it across all levels and job titles is unbelievable. It is worse than a 5th grade playground. I witnessed on several occasions the head of our department outright lying to members of project teams in order to pit them against each other. To what end?? I have yet to figure out the purpose or usefulness of such tactics. It certainly did not serve to foster team building or even promote productivity. In fact, the sheer amount of time required to serve face was an active deterrent to efficiency as well as morale.

I should have run when, on my first day, we were stuck in one such meeting until 10:30pm and an executive took the entire evening to yell at one person and force her to defend herself. Even as a new employee, I couldn’t figure out what she had done wrong, just that she was in the hot seat for whatever reason the capricious executive had decided to pick that day.

3. Micromanagement.

You would assume that a company, upon hiring a person to do a job, would expect that person to do that job.

At Alliantgroup, you would be wrong.

If you choose to work there, you will be regularly interrogated about the basic tasks you accomplish throughout the day by multiple levels of management. Apparently it’s crucial to the inner workings of the entire company that these overseers know the detailed minutiae of even the most mundane to-do items. The management does not believe its employees to be “capable” (direct quote) of handling their work. Thus, the peons must be micromanaged.

Expect angry emails at 2am demanding to know the status of a project, no matter that it can be easily found on the company-wide server or even--crazy idea--dealt with during work hours. Expect to send a spreadsheet detailing every single thing you’ve accomplished for the day within an inch of how many bathroom breaks you’ve taken to an executive who receives over 200 such emails and has no intentions of ever reading it. This meaningless process will take you over an hour. Which, of course, also means extra time to bill to each of the applicable clients. Management has zero interest in maximizing the efficiency of this practice, by the way. Any attempt to streamline the process into even a weekly status report rather than daily is an undertaking rivaling that of Sisyphus.

Bonus Takeaways:

If you try to maximize the efficiency of anything at Alliantgroup, go ahead and pack up your desk because you will be let go.

If you try to request time off, pack up your desk because you will be let go.

If you spend more time working than trying to get an invite to paintball with your boss, you will be accused of “not trying hard enough to build a relationship” with him regardless of your attempts to get on his calendar in order to touch base, so you better pack up your desk because you will be let go.

If you play the game well, do your job, and tow the party line, the company will still be losing money to its ill-advised investment into the new building and multiple major lawsuits, so pack up your desk because you will be let go.

Alliantgroup is and always will be a lose-lose situation.

My only regret is not eating more of the mediocre free food (Café Express!) while I had the chance.

The level of incompetence at Alliantgroup is astounding. Read an actual book (they even come in digital form now) on managing people. You couldn’t handle a pet rock, much less a team of capable professionals.

You clearly think you can stay afloat on a consistently revolving door of recent college grads, but eventually that tactic will drain your resources. Enjoy your mandatory “raves”, the money will not last forever.

Long Hours and Hard Work - Great Benefits

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health Benefits, causal dress code, lunches/dinners, off season perks

There is a lot of pros if you are able to put your career above anything else. There is room for growth with a very high learning curve. This is a very challenging job that requires lots of effort and perseverance that can reward you handsomely.

Cons

Long hours. heavy work load, communication, very little work life balance, turnover

get on the same page with other departments and get more training

You get what you pay for...

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

This is a true meritocracy. I have never been at a more competitive company and I do not think one exists. I have measurable goals and realistic expectations here and it is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

This is not a "nine to five" place. Plus, you will work with a bunch of "know it all" grammarians, workaholics, and perfectionists...

Management needs to filter potential hires better. I have been a part of new/growing companies prior to alliantgroup... the message from day one was "remove 'this is not my job' from your vocabulary". alliantgroup does not make this point clear enough for new folks.

My advice to the alliantgroup decision makers, use the following:

"The alliantgroup experience is easy - work hard, reap rewards. If you start to coast, you will get left behind. If you want a true meritocracy, come see us.

If you think your credentials are a skeleton key to success, move along. We judge you on real, measurable performance metrics."

You Get What You Put In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-high performance environment
    -work with really intelligent individuals
    - you're always learning new things (my biggest fear is being bored so this has been the perfect company for me)
    -if you are passionate about what you do and put in the effort, you will be rewarded well
    -the culture (you develop strong friendships because of all the fun and engaging activities that the Company holds)

Cons

I've read through a lot of the reviews on here and although I am baffled by the negative ones, I can see how alliantgroup is not for everyone. If you want a job purely to check in, check out and float through life without being engaged- don't join this company. This is definitely not somewhere you go just to collect a paycheck and have a mind numbing day. You join this company if you want to really enjoy what you do, be engaged and like to be challenged.

It's not a 9-5 job. There are some days you work longer hours and some days you work shorter hours but when you enjoy what you're doing, time flies by either way.

Rewarded for rewarding work.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a challenging, fast-paced, highly rewarding environment. I get the opportunity to find America's small and mid-sized businesses much needed tax refunds for them and, boy, are they grateful. I have had heard business after business tell me: "Thank you. We are really grateful for alliantgroup's effort because it allowed us hire additional employees or buy a new piece of equipment that is essential to our company's continues growth and success" And, it feels really good to hear how grateful these companies are. There aren't many companies out there that serve the heartbeat of the American economy, its small and mid-sized businesses; but alliantgroup is one that does so admirably. It is incredibly rewarding work.

While working here I found that my effort has never gone without being rewarded by alliantgroup. It is a true meritocracy! I have shown the aptitude and ability to excel at this company and I keep getting rewarded in different ways - raises, performance-based bonuses, discretionary bonuses, all-expense paid trips, gift certificates, and other perks.

This is the only company I have worked for that truly appreciate and cares for its employees. they cater food daily for lunch, provide health and dental care to all of its employees, and has hired a Director of Health and Wellness to educate its employees on fitness and nutrition, put on optional fitness classes, coordinate running/walking groups, etc..

I couldn't be happier!

Cons

The continued construction in our new building can be distracting.

Please continue to take care of and reward your employees.

Amazing company with truly incredible people

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing and talented people. Result-oriented culture that rewards those that break the mold and challenge the status quo. The passion for client service, passion for growth and team-based environment gives alliantgroup an incredible edge. There are clear expectations, performance planning and feedback and coaching for those that have the commitment, perseverance, and hunger to succeed!

Cons

There are no cons to share.

Management does an great job of investing in its people. Management coaches, molds, and inspires - keep it up!

The best decision I've ever made was to accept a position with alliantgroup, LP!

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We help U.S. businesses every day! During the recent economic downturn, we heard story after story of the companies whose doors stayed open and kept employees due to the dollars we helped them receive! This is truly THE most gratifying job in the world!

Management and Senior colleagues are approachable and encouraging; everyone truly wants to see you succeed beyond your wildest dreams!!

An awesome new building in Houston with amazing views and lots of open space to collaborate with colleagues!

Cons

Don't come here if you don't want to grow! You'll be challenged on a daily basis to be your best!

Mean Girls Meets Wannabe Wolf of Wall Street

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

1. Free food. If you don't mind getting fat. Sometimes provided as many as 3 times a day. Which means without a doubt that your boss expects you to work through every meal.

2. The company "promotes transparency". Welcome to your glass cubicle, where everyone can and will be spying on you. Favoritism and snitching is not only valued but is promoted and initiated by supervisors.

3. If you are male, you might be given the opportunity for growth within the company. If you are female, you might be given the opportunity to move around within the company to various positions, but your career will definitely not see any growth.

Cons

Let me tell you a story…..

Poor little alliantgroup, forced to lie and con people into believing that this might be a great company to work for! This company is in cahoots with various staffing companies, so for your own sake, take heed of red flags. Also note, that when an employee of alliantgroup wins an internal award they are REQUIRED to write a positive review of the company online. Those will be the only positive reviews you will ever find about this company.

Red flag: You will be painted a picture that alliantgroup is the next "Google". That alliantgroup has a young fun culture; where the amount of time and effort you put in as an employee will directly impact your career. That your career is in your hands and you can make what you want of it. That drive and professionalism are valued characteristics. You might believe this for a while, but when you're done drinking the kool-aide, you will begin to see the truth. And trust me, the kool-aide always runs out….

Red Flag: Working for the firm in the Wolf of Wall Street would have been a more accurate description of this company. However, imagine that all of your supervisors are Regina George, but not nearly as pretty or skinny. Also imagine that all of their assistants are Gretchen Wieners, plotting how to get closer to their boss and how to get you out of the picture. Lastly, imagine you get paid a lot less. A LOT LESS. Now are you starting to see the picture?

Red Flag: The only people who are permanent/full time employees are those who are hired directly. If you were hired through a staffing agency you can bet ALL of your pretty pennies that you are temp-to-hire. Your agency will tell you to your face that you were hired directly, but once you try to turn in a time sheet, alliantgroup will tell you that you’re not, and you need to fill out the correct “temp-to-hire” timesheet. Welcome to the world of deception! Put nicely.

Red Flag: Should you chose to continue to work for alliantgroup as a temp-to-hire, under the assumption that they will honor your contract and hire you permanently upon its’ completion, assume otherwise. alliantgroup will not hire you, nor many others permanently because they don’t know when you will stop drinking the kool-aide. When you do start to see the reality of it all, should you choose to respect yourself and your career and stand up for yourself, they will fire you. And they certainly don’t want to have to pay you unemployment, disregard that you never had any benefits to begin with, that’s out of the picture.

Red Flag: You will have to beg for time off. You absolutely will have to beg for it, and if you get it, you will be made to feel guilt about it regardless of the fact that you are taking time off WITH OUT pay. Feel bad, you’re a baaaaad person!

Red Flag: Don’t get to close to anyone; if you do they will separate you. This will either happen by moving you to a new department, a different floor, or firing one of you.

BEST WORDS OF ADVICE:
    Interview at alliantgroup, there’s a 99% chance that you will be hired. Then use their offer as leverage to get a better job somewhere else.

For those of you who still choose to go ahead and “see what it’s like for yourself” to work at alliantgroup, Glassdoor will be here for you when it’s over and you desperately want some one to know the truth.

1. When you tell your employees that you have an "open door policy", you might want to add that this policy applies only to your favorite employees.
    2. The amount of bribes you dole out will never be able to keep the great employees from walking away.
    3. The amount of money you make does not equal the amount of success you have managing your employees.
    4. If you hired a person to do a job, you should expect that they can do it on their own. Otherwise why don't you just do both jobs if you're going to micromanage.

alliantgroup, LP Photos