alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.8

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free Food for your stomach while feeding your Ego (temporarily) (in 13 reviews)

• I have always been rewarded for all the hard work I put into the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Underhanded practices when dealing with employees

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Soda machine use is free
    $5/day stipend for use at the building cafeteria

Cons

9.5 hour days minimum and most positions do not qualify for overtime
    A severe lack of planning/foresight at all management levels
    Understaffed for important job roles = more than 10 hour days to meet ridiculous deadines
    Least organized company for the department I worked within
    Part of the political-lobbyist "revolving door" scumbaggery

I am surprised the firm has survived for ten years.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) The Work - The work is actually interesting. You will spend a lot of your work day talking to your clients and learning about several different industries.
    2) Food - The firm provides free sodas, $5 for the building's cafeteria, and brings in food during tax season. Additionally, on special occasions, breakfast and afternoon treats will be provided as well. On the downside, eating healthy in the office is difficult.
    3) Co-workers - There was not a single associate I did not like on my team and there are definitely a lot of friendships I will maintain. While I do not regret leaving the firm, I do miss seeing my co-workers every day.
    4) Career Opportunity - Within approximately three months, you will be running your own studies, if not before then. You will get your first promotion in six months and your second a year after that.
    5) Social Activities - The firm provides several social activities for its employees including, free movie nights for the latest blockbusters, happy hours, team outings, and office parties.

Cons

1) Work hours - I had friends who worked at big law firms making three times as much as I did and worked less than I did. During the interview, the firm talked about work/life integration and spun it as the firm creates an environment where you, the associate, will enjoy being. This is utterly false. Employees are at work as much as they are because the firm expects so much that you are forced to abandon the rest of your life to try to meet their expectations. During tax season, I usually worked (either in the office or at home) until midnight plus weekends. The other six months of the year, I usually worked at the office until 8PM and always struggled to meet the firm's expectations.

2) Distractions - I never found the atmosphere in the office to be conducive for several reasons. First, there are too many people Several employees will ask you the same question about the same client every day. Decorum usually breaks down around 4PM The firm expects you to respond to every email and phone call within 5 minutes. (In comparison, most time management tips will tell you it is more efficient to check your email only a few times a day to minimize distractions and increase productivity).

Additionally, But nothing the firm condones minimizes distractions. People will ask you the same question five times every day and office decorum usually breaks down around 4PM, which makes it even more difficult to get any work done. So basically, you try to meet every deadline after shooting yourself in both hands and feet. Oh, and if you try to wear headphones to drown out of distractions in the office, you will be seen as not being 100% in.

3) Constantly changing procedures - In an effort to deal with the high employee turnover, the firm is constantly changing procedures to improve the transition of an unfinished study from the employee who just left the firm to the new employee. The procedures do nothing to address the real problem, high employee turnover, and only create new work for the current employees, which results in higher employee turnover. Plus, procedures are announced before they are finalized and live dates are never announced. If employees don't check every day to make sure a new form hasn't been released, you will undoubtedly caught off guard some 23 days later when the form is finally on the server and is now required. Additionally, management will arbitrarily enforce procedures that had not been required for sometime. And when you are puzzled by the new procedure management will not say "this is something we have let slide for some time, but is now something we are cracking down on," but "This has always been the procedure. I don't know what you are talking about when you say you came into my office yesterday and things were different."

4) The firm thinks it is amazing - The company does not believe it is doing anything wrong. If you cannot meet a deadline because you have too much work, it's your fault for not being more efficient with your time. If an associate quits, it's because a) he/she has health problems that requires a leave of absence, b) other employees scared the employee away, or c) he/she cannot take ownership of his/her own career and wants an environment they can just sit around. If the company was so amazing, they wouldn't have coerce current employees into writing favorable reviews for this website. In the past six months, they have pushed out some amazing senior associates and associate directors because they were no longer 100% committed to the firm. Everyone gets burnt out after working as much as the firm expects and the firm's response isn't to thank it's employees but to push them out when they begin to stumble. One caveat, the firm LOVES competition and will hold competitions that will reward the top 1% for being the best and push the other 99% of the firm to the breaking point or out the door.

6) Billing - During my interview, I was told 99% of the firm makes its billing goal. Based on my experience this is not true. I made my monthly billable goal four times and never made

I really enjoyed the work we did, but the firm made it impossible for me to work there. You really need to start caring about employee retention. Listen to your employees and address their concerns. If what was said during the meetings is true, last year the firm hired 300 people, which works out to 300 people leaving the firm as well. Every employee who leaves is a bridge you are burnt. After my third month, I stopped referring friends to the firm. By the sixth, I was afraid to tell strangers who I worked for because they inevitably repeated said negative things about the company they heard from friends.

WORST COMPANY EVER. STAY FAR AWAY.

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

It's comical that the "pros" are free sodas and a $5 lunch, because there is nothing good to advertise about this company.

Cons

Every review is very accurate, except for the 5 star reviews that are written by internal employees to counter all of the bad reviews. The only way to succeed in this company is to be an allinantgroup slave working 100 hour weeks and brown nosing management.

Get a business plan in place and stop making business decisions on the go. I know you read these reviews and you just laugh it all off, because your company is full of arrogant stubborn attorneys. You preach client service, but have no idea what client service is, because you don't even know how to treat your employees well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most Rewarding Career Move!!!

Current Employee - Internal Projects  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Projects in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generous
    Promoted within
    Performance Based
    High Energy
    Open atmosphere
    Collaboration among peers

Cons

I personally don't have any

My personal experience has been a great one with alliantgroup! I worked 6 years in the O&G industry and never once was I felt like my intelligence and ideas were appreciated. Every day I am listed to, challenged, rewarded and felt like I belonged.

Everyone's Journey is different and you can't compare the two. Reading negative things about this company, I'm disappointed. This company lets you grow within, you're voice is heard and is truly a transparent culture.

What you put into alliantgroup and your career here, is what you get out of it - I put in 100% and get 100% back! (Maybe even more with all the perks this company offers!!)

I appreciate everything that upper management has done - without all the Directors, VPs, COO & CEO - Our new lifestyle in our NEW building would not At All Be Possible!! Keep pushing your high performers. Keep listening, directing, mentoring - I've gained so much out of my career here. I guess I surround myself with people like myself and I've never heard anything bad - so to read such negative comments - is absurd.

I ABSOLUTELY Love it here, there is not one day I don't get up in the morning and feel excited to come to work. Every day is different, challenging, fun, and I honestly laugh every day and have made some AMAZING friends in the process.

Thank you all for making alliantgroup thrive in all of its worth! :) -DNA

Contrived rah-rah culture forced by management onto employees, unprofessional and unethical

Former Employee - Tax Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong growth in the Company, opportunity for upward mobility, health and fringe benefits, including daily lunch stipend, free sodas and red bull, open team environment

Cons

Unprofessional management, strong growth leading to mismanagement of human resources and high turnover rates. Long hours. Pressure to bill hours, stretching the limits of ethical and moral bounds in work product and billing. High-stress. Very little professional conduct and compassion from management for employees.

Reward performance based on realistic expectations and take a stance on ethical and moral grounds to which performance and billing practices occur. There will be better work product and employees will be happier if there were more concern for the people there instead of focusing purely on performance and artificially inflated billable statistics.

Run away from Irvine, CA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

The only positive I can come up with is that the health benefits are good, however, there is no vision coverage.

Cons

Every review you are reading about Houston I disregarded because I was interviewing for Irvine. Sadly, Irvine is just as bad as the Houston reviews if not worse. It is the most unprofessional environment I have seen. Your career is better off at a different corporation.

Every hiring manager and director is on such a high power trip that the dysfunction it is creating will seriously have the firm in crumbles if something isn't done.

Stay Away! Management is full of liars!

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

$5 for lunch, relatively good pay for recent graduates with no experience

Cons

Everything else about the company is a con. There is too much work to go around so everyone is overworked and works more than 12 hours a day usually (yes, even during "off-season"). They will tell you that everyone works more hours during tax season, but over the past three years, every day has become tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute. When you try to get help or explain your frustrations to management, they tell you that you really don't have that much work on your plate and you should be able to handle it. They are constantly promising that more new people are on the way to help out, but very few of the new people stick around. There is a constant revolving-door of employees because everyone gets overwhelmed and quits. Many people leave without another job lined up because they hate it so much and alliantgroup keeps them too busy to apply elsewhere. Every single employee is currently planning when and how they will leave this hell hole.

Don't even get me started on their unethical billing practices or the fact that every single good review on glassdoor is written by senior team members who management has coerced to write good reviews in exchange for their promotions.

No one at this company is happy. There is no work/life balance. Management has made it clear that they don't want anyone having a family or children because they only offer family benefits to senior level employees and higher (and most of them work 80+ hours/week anyway, so when would they have time for a family?)

Stop lying to your employees about the help that you are bringing in to reduce everyone's workload. Stop trying to convince them they have 10-20 clients apiece, when in actuality they all have between 30-60. Listen to your employees when they come in to your offices crying and screaming. THEY ARE UNHAPPY! Instead of trying to find a way to keep your employees, you have streamlined the process to transition client files once someone quits. Wise up and get a real business model to retain employees and keep them happy (i.e. lighten the workload per project manager and allow people to go home at a decent hour and stop expecting them to work from home every waking second).

Expect a lot of employee-churn; note: that means you'll be churned, too

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relatively easy to get hired with no background or experience; initial learning curve is steep but company has no expectations of you. Pay is not bad starting out.

Cons

Then the humiliations begin. Your performance will be tied to billable hours; that's right, no matter how much you work, if it ain't billable you won't get any raises or bonuses. Guess who decides what billable work you get? The people who do all the billable work. It's a rigged game. And the managers are making way to much money on the partnership model to give a crap how much churn there is at the bottom.

Like they'd listen.

The worst atmosphere and company culture I have ever seen. No matter how desperate you are, look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting salary is low, but you will receive a 15%-20% raise in the first year or so, if you don't quit or get fired before then. Good health insurance.

Cons

Turnover here is something I have never seen before in my life. There are only about 10-20 employees that have been at this company for more than 2 years because everyone either quits or gets fired within a year. The reason behind this is that no human in their right mind can actually tolerate the abuse and "culture" of this company for more than a few months. The "high performance" culture is code for who the CEO and his cronies at the top like that week because they "get in front" of senior management to pander to them. You'll hear and see their favorite catchphrases around the office such as "take ownership", "high performance culture", "collaboration", "transparency", which none of the management actually abide by. As a project manager you will have four to five people emailing you and calling you about the same deadline. Also, you’ll spend 80% of your day filling out your Outlook calendar and study tracker and having meetings to “collaborate”, so, you won’t actually get any work done in the work week during regular work hours; that is what the weekend and late nights are for. Shout out emails go out every three days, or so, congratulating someone on their performance or short-lived promotion. Be prepared for hundreds of “great job” and “well done” reply emails. If you don’t respond, you’ll be viewed as not part of the culture. There will be these events every month or so called “Raves” where employees are pressured into performing nonsensical and embarrassing feats by the direction of the CEO. Alcohol and food are served, and I’m sure, several HR violations, as well. Management is atrocious; Employees are berated in front of peers on a daily basis; high pressure job where employees are disposable once they've burned out. The few in upper management dump all the work load on the associates below while they do nothing. No room for advancement in this company. Stay far away from alliantgroup even if you're sleeping on a park bench. There are other jobs out there.

As other reviewers have suggested, this company is too corrupted to ever improve. Perhaps if all of the upper management is fired and the CEO no longer has management control of the company, there's a possibility for a change. However, this is very unlikely.

If you value yourself and your life DO NOT WORK here!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health insurance is pretty good

Cons

This company has no work/life balance. You are told in the interview process that there are some long hours during tax season, but it's 8:30-5:30 regularly. This is a HUGE lie. If you leave the office before 7pm you are ridiculed. You are told you need to be available whenever you are needed and to be available for the customers 24/7. On top of not leaving the office until 8-9pm you are NOT allowed to take a lunch break - if you do you are reprimanded. If you are not a top performer you are treated like amebas on flees on rats. Upper management will talk to you like your a retard and constantly belittle you. Management sits around and talks horribly about employees and or ex employees. You are required to take calls on nights & weekends. You also have business hours and post business hours. You are told you are not allowed to do more than 1/2 of your job description during business hours and you have to book other peoples travel on YOUR free time. After hours is after 8pm. You are very quickly thrown under the buss and made to look like a liar by your direct supervisor. When interviewing for this position, you will feel like you've found the perfect fit…quickly you will feel miserable and have no time for your friends, family, or self. If you voice concern you will be given an ultimatum. They tell people to get on here and write positive reviews. I can't even voice how disappointed I am with my decision to accept a position with this company. Stay far away from this place. Not only will you be treated as an alliantgroup slave, you will also quickly learn that something just isn't right about this place from an ethical standpoint. There is no HR department because this company is so corrupt. There are constant email blasts and peoples brown nosing replies make me want to vomit. I'm trying to get out, but with working long hours and no breaks it's incredibly hard to find another opportunity. If you take anything away from this please….DO NOT ACCEPT EMPLOYMENT HERE!!!!

If you want lasting loyal employees, treat people with respect and accept the fact that not everyone is a workaholic. If you can't complete your daily tasks within a 40hr work week than there is a problem with your efficiency.

Worked for alliantgroup, LP? Contribute to the Community!