alliantgroup, LP

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.9

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans (in 14 reviews)

• I have always been rewarded for all the hard work I put into the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Glad I took the job. Ecstatic I left.

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros? The people. Not upper management -- but the people in the trenches. They're the people who make it worthwhile to come to work. The people who make it a little less painful to have spent five waking hours with your spouse in the past week. The people you laugh with and learn from -- and when you leave, the people you hope make it out sooner rather than later.

(There's also free, secured parking, so you feel pretty safe going to the car, and it saves you $1200ish a year.)

Cons

Like many people, I've worked in food service. Like fewer people, I've also taught in an inner city school. So I thought I had safely put my worst jobs behind me.

How wrong I was!

If you've worked at alliantgroup for less than a year, this will ring false. "Opportunities are everywhere," you'll say. "This is a true meritocracy!" You'll talk about the parties at work, about the open and collaborative atmosphere, about how much everyone wants you to succeed.

I know. I said those things too.

Your first promotion comes within six months (that's the new model; at one time, you'd be there a year before you got promoted, but now they need warm bodies to take on new studies). It feels great. You get a raise, you're being rewarded for your good work, you believe in this firm and this cause.

And then.

You make a misstep. Or you don't. Your team director doesn't like you. Or management doesn't like your team director. You get promoted and then demoted. Or you're given flimsy reasons why you won't be promoted in the first place.

And at some point, you will look at the 50+ studies you manage and wonder how you keep all those balls in the air. You will look at yourself in the mirror and wonder where those gray hairs, wrinkles, and extra pounds came from. You will look at your relationship and wonder how it has even held up under the stress. And you will look at your life and wonder if it was always this miserable.

alliantgroup is a fine first job. It forces you to learn more than you thought was possible. You'll meet wonderful, smart, dedicated people. You'll make a real difference to the clients you serve.

And then you'll see those smart, dedicated people walk out the door in anger and frustration and heartbreak. You'll see those clients go underserved because you don't have the time to dedicate to each one. You'll still learn -- but you'll learn how not to manage subordinates, how not to motivate, how not to run a company that makes people want to be there.

You'll see passionate, smart people thrust into management roles with little experience and no real training, and you'll wonder why they don't know what they're doing. (Later, you'll understand exactly why.) You'll see people demoted publicly for no given reason. (You won't learn why.) You'll see yourself -- ranked with the other associates on an email blasted to the entire department, based on metrics that change by the week and don't correspond to reality. (You won't see senior associates and above, though. Those emails don't get blasted to everyone.)

And eventually you'll leave, and maybe you won't have another job. Maybe you will have another job, and you'll lie about where you're going because you know the retribution will be harsh. Maybe you'll end up in the Big Four. Maybe you'll run into former alliantgroupers in your new life, and you'll feel an immediate kinship because you've survived the same war, if not at the same time.

And then you'll laugh about how ridiculous those years were and remember how happy you are to be gone.

There is literally nothing I could say to upper management that would make them understand how much better life is on the outside.

Incredible Opportunity at a Dynamic, Growing Company

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

alliantgroup is a company full of young, energetic, and highly intelligent people. The people you will meet working here are one of the best things about alliantgroup. It is a very enjoyable work environment that makes you look forward to coming to work each day.

You will get what you put into alliantgroup. I have never worked for a company where hard work was so often recognized and rewarded. You will not find another job where it is so easy to advance even within your first year. The sky is the limit and the room for advancement is unprecedented due to the rapid growth of the company.

The work we do is rewarding, challenging, and different each day. You will have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of clients in a lot of different industries. There are great opportunities to travel the country, but at your discretion and timing.

The benefits provided are unparalleled. Everyone works hard and alliantgroup constantly finds ways to give everyone the opportunity to mix in fun and excitement. This will include everything from company parties, happy hours, movie outings, and dinners. Lunch is catered in daily at no charge and during tax seasons, dinners are provided as well.

Cons

This is the not the work environment for everyone. This is a fast paced environment where high performers are sought and greatly rewarded. Those expecting to clock in, clock out, and do the bare minimum will not be successful. The hours can be long during the busy tax seasons, but the sense of camaraderie and teamwork that occur during this time is impressive. Management is always working to find ways to keep it fun and reward everyone for the extra time commitment.

Keep up the great work! As we continue to grow, maintain the core principles that have made this such a great company to work for.

Not a fun place to work.

I worked at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

There are no pros for this job.

Cons

Long hours. Low pay. Stressful.

Great high energy atmosphere with lots of opportunity and growth! Go-getters welcome.

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The nature of the work is complex and interesting – this is a fast paced work environment and every day presents new challenges and opportunities.

Your peers are successful, intelligent, and motivated. You will receive mentorship and guidance from upper level management since alliantgroup promotes an open-door policy. alliantgroup has assembled a unique Advisory Board which consists of former IRS Commissioners, Senators, Governors, and other high level executives – all of which visit the headquarters and you can connect with – talk about a great opportunity!

You are rewarded for hard work – vacations, catered meals, bonuses etc.

The skill set you develop here in such a short amount of time is incomparable to other firms. You are presented an opportunity to consult executives of Companies and their CPAs on how to effectively increase their bottom line – these executives will love you and alliantgroup rewards you for developing strong relationships with clients.

alliantgroup just moved into a new building that overlooks downtown Houston and the Galleria – lots of fun things happening! alliantgroup has implemented a new Wellness program – weekly runs, yoga classes, and nutritional classes as well as more healthy options offered for lunch.

Cons

Long hours during tax season – this is the nature of the industry.

Keep maintaining a high performance culture and keep promoting personal and professional growth.

Fast paced environment that encourages hard work and high energy!

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I truly feel as if I learn something new every day. The work is always exciting and challenging. My colleagues are all smart, driven, and passionate. There is a culture of learning, accountability and teamwork. This is one place that I think is truly a meritocracy. Everyone is measured on the strength of their performance. Even after a few months, I felt that I was growing and strengthening my skill set. This is an excellent place to work if you enjoy pushing yourself.

work-life balance is certainly attainable if you prioritize it. We even have a Health & Wellness Director and numerous programs in place that encourage activity and stepping away from work for a bit.

Best of all, the management is incredibly supportive. I have never heard of another employer where the upper management will take time to personally help develop your skills, even as an entry level employee. If you show initiative and ask for guidance, you will not be refused. The opportunities for growth are huge here. I would recommend alliantgroup to any contacts who are hardworking, focused and looking to make a career.

Cons

This is not your typical 9-5 job. If you are looking for a boring desk job where you can surf the internet all day and have no real responsibilities, this is not the place for you. You will work long hours and late nights, however, I have never felt that my efforts have gone unnoticed or unrewarded.

Initially, it seems like a great career opportunity, but you soon realize that everyone at the company is money hungry.

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you get through training, you can get promoted quickly.

Cons

Work/life balance. High stress job that requires long hours.

transparency.

High Performance and Pro-active Attitudes Appreciated and Awarded

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The number one reason I enjoy working here is because the career opportunities are limitless. After only 4 months, I have already been promoted and am on my way to gaining even more experience and responsibilities. Throughout my entire time here, my supervisors have been very transparent and constantly let me know what areas I am excelling in and what areas I can improve upon. I am an aggressive person and have always been a high performer and at the top of my class. This company rewards individuals who put in the work and who are dedicated to improving themselves. Another perk is that the company promotes collaboration so there is always someone who genuinely wants to help you and learn from you as well. Lunch is provided every day and so is dinner during tax season. I'm looking forward to learning more about this company and continuing to move up the ladder.

Cons

Tax law is a new area that I wasn't familiar with so I was a little nervous whether or not I would be successful at this job. However, there is a multi-week training course to teach you everything that you need to know and everyone enjoys helping you out and making sure you are comfortable with the material.

Worst employer fathomable!! All the offices have this CANCER!! DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Current Employee - Relationship Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is very high because they pay for your silence and brainwashing. The company habitually takes months to repay expenses even during the holiday season. When you travel as much as I do I am waiting on thousands of dollars that are just sitting on my credit card. The only way I have survived is by deciding that I wouldn’t have a life.

Cons

This company is breaking countless labor laws in countless states. What they will not tell you in your interview is that you aren’t allowed to take lunch or you’ll be terminated. You are expected to work overtime and thank them for it. Busy season is all year and if you have children you won’t see them. The culture is to mindlessly and enthusiastically repeat that you “love” the company to your coworkers and clients. They have a very high burn out rate and an outrageous amount of turn over. In fact, they unapologetically terminate 1 in every 3 new hires. In the Houston office everyone sleeps with their coworkers, which is a practice that was started by the executive team. All my coworkers are miserable and looking for other jobs. I hear crying in the bathrooms on a daily basis.

My advice to the management is to invest in Dale Carnegie training and to lawyer-up for employment lawsuits. The CEO is an egomaniacal micromanager. He expects his employees to entertain him like dancing monkeys. The best dancers are the directors that come from staffing, retail and rental car services. These employees are as moronic as they come! They have completely let their authority go to their heads and conduct themselves in the most unprofessional way imaginable. They also come to work ill and contagious while bragging about their laudable work ethic. They have raves which are essentially inappropriate pep rallies where employees have to preform skits and be judged by the CEO and executive team. At a 1990’s themed rave an executive and his assistants vulgarly preformed a rap reenactment of the Bill Clinton/ Monica Lewinski semen-stained blue dress. I wouldn’t recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Great memories of working here!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was my first job our of college so my pay was minimal, but the experience was good. Almost like working for a fraternity. They are serious about their work, but have A LOT of fun at the same time. Met a ton of great people and am appreciative for the experience.

Cons

If you left at 5 you were looked down upon. They did not appreciate "clock watchers." Expected to work long hours. No management at the time had kids so they were not understanding of a life/work balance.

I'm sure many things have changed, but I know management was fairly immature at the time. Balance the work and fun more.

You Poor Unfortunate Souls

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have met some amazing people while working at alliantgroup. The food being brought in is thoughtful but there should be a healthy option everyday.

Cons

I would first like to start by saying I did find some wonderful friendships, I learned a tremendous amount about myself and about what I expect out of an employer. I am a strong and capable worker so none of the "if you are lazy and not a top performer" bs doesn't apply to me. You can be a strong, responsible, hard working top performer and still despise going to work at alliantgroup everyday. Which, in all honesty you should despise wasting your talents and energy in a company that could not care less about you as an employee or human being. You are a slave to alliantgroup. You will have zero work-life balance. You WILL be expected to stay late. I am not talking 7 or 7:30, that's reasonable, oh no, you will be there until 8, 10, 12 o'clock sometimes even out of tax season. Heaven forbid you leave on time. Shame on you for having a life and not drinking the "alliantgroup kool-aid" PS you WILL gain weight. And, you WILL be berated in front of your colleagues.Those are just the general cons you will see everyday.

I am intelligent, I have a degree, and I work hard. I bet you do too, but that won't stop management (project managers training you, team directors, CRA leads, senior management, Business Directors) from screaming and belittling you, at a high volume, in front of an audience. If you mess up, own it and deal with it there is a 40% chance you won't be screamed at. Word to Management-let it die after that, no need to keep bringing it up months later just to make someone feel bad when you are having a power trip. If you didn't mess up, well sorry for you, you still did. You will be yelled at and belittle for arbitrary learning mistakes (training is quick, don't miss a word or you'll be effed). You will be screamed at for things your trainee, team director, cra did and now you are accountable for it because you are an easy fall guy. The poor PC's and DE employees get the brunt of almost all the hate. The pm could have clearly messed up and bad. Well, as a PC you better hope to god you saved all your emails with explicit detail into what you were told to do/not do. And as a DE member, its a good thing you have so many checks and balances because when those PM's don't calculate the credit correctly it will now be your fault. QC members, sucks for you too. Luckily you have a little more say and can defend yourselves and your work.

Hey, I have an idea, let's take the mistakes that happen and turn them into learning opportunities. Let's (NICELY) try and guide, train, encourage and teach our team members the correct process in completing any action. Let's NOT guilt trip, yell at, belittle, make each other cry over titling the subject line of an email wrong. Noone needs a 45 minute lecture over silly mistakes. Address the issue, teach someone the correct way (with respect), then move on.

Note to anyone who has somebody "supporting" them. Treat people with respect and dignity. (If this is ever happens I will probably fall over dead.) We are human beings who deserve to be treated with respect and common decency. We are not your slaves. Noone should be living in fear while at work. If I treat you with respect I expect the same in return. You shouldn't speak down to those who are helping you do your job everyday. I am not an idiot, I am not a dog and I am not your b**ch. Please and thank you will go further than hatefulness and disrespect. If you can't do your job without me why treat me in a manner that makes me want to leave work mid-day? Why are you going to expect everyone to do everything for you when you berate them and make them feel bad about themselves? Eventually you will run out of favors, just ask all the team directors who were demoted. (Except one, who is a kind man, he was demoted for being nice, figures) PS to those who are "back in power" or new to it, savor it, nothing will last forever. Or, try being respectful and getting the most out of happy employees, that will get you farther in life.

Let's cut it out with the ridiculous expectations and requests. Noone can sustain working 65-80 hour work weeks and perform at a high-level. I respect and expect high-performance from myself and others. That does not mean work 70 hours a week just to stay above the drowning line. Don't give people so many clients (60 is ridiculous), work them 70 hours a week, dump 30 projects in a newly promoted "associates" lap. You are setting your employees up for failure. In all honestly, I think management does this on purpose. The turnover is high because noone can get everything done and live up to the expectations. If everyone had a smaller study load then management would have to actually treat people as if they are human beings and that is just not how they like to play. I'm sure HR would love it if all senior management was replaced so they wouldn't have to hide so many HR violations.

A note to project managers-I love most of you but some of you need to remove your head from your a**. You are not God, you are not curing cancer, you are not saving the world, and for the love of humanity you are not the smartest person to ever be born. It infuriates me to no end when I hear PM's walking around talking about all PC's, DE, CRA's are "dumb" or "stupid". Thank you for insulting my intelligence and demeaning all the hard work I do for you everyday. If we are so "stupid" why are we filling out all your information needed to "calculate" the credit, write your case studies, or write your status updates? You trust us to take care of that for you but "that's PC work" is said condescendingly on a daily basis.

As I have previously said, I work hard everyday with excellent work product. My work ethic is tremendous which is why I will succeed even in adverse situations like alliantgroup. Had I been treated with respect and dignity maybe I would still be there but I found my way out. To all my friends still suck at alliantgroup, you poor unfortunate souls, there are other opportunities out there don't drink their kool-aid!

PS-When you ask someone to get you a form and they bring you extra (because it will be needed in the future) you shouldn't yell at them at the top of your lungs that you only asked for one and that listening to details is important (for 20 minutes), then mess up on the one form you would take and ask for another. That's called being proactive not ignoring instructions.

Get rid of all the senior management. Start fresh with kind humans not dementours who suck out your soul with every lie they tell.

If you can't get rid of them try giving respect.

alliantgroup, LP Photos