alliantgroup, LP

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans (in 14 reviews)

• I have never worked for a company where hard work was so often recognized and rewarded (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

High Performance and Pro-active Attitudes Appreciated and Awarded

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The number one reason I enjoy working here is because the career opportunities are limitless. After only 4 months, I have already been promoted and am on my way to gaining even more experience and responsibilities. Throughout my entire time here, my supervisors have been very transparent and constantly let me know what areas I am excelling in and what areas I can improve upon. I am an aggressive person and have always been a high performer and at the top of my class. This company rewards individuals who put in the work and who are dedicated to improving themselves. Another perk is that the company promotes collaboration so there is always someone who genuinely wants to help you and learn from you as well. Lunch is provided every day and so is dinner during tax season. I'm looking forward to learning more about this company and continuing to move up the ladder.

Cons

Tax law is a new area that I wasn't familiar with so I was a little nervous whether or not I would be successful at this job. However, there is a multi-week training course to teach you everything that you need to know and everyone enjoys helping you out and making sure you are comfortable with the material.

Worst employer fathomable!! All the offices have this CANCER!! DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Current Employee - Relationship Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is very high because they pay for your silence and brainwashing. The company habitually takes months to repay expenses even during the holiday season. When you travel as much as I do I am waiting on thousands of dollars that are just sitting on my credit card. The only way I have survived is by deciding that I wouldn’t have a life.

Cons

This company is breaking countless labor laws in countless states. What they will not tell you in your interview is that you aren’t allowed to take lunch or you’ll be terminated. You are expected to work overtime and thank them for it. Busy season is all year and if you have children you won’t see them. The culture is to mindlessly and enthusiastically repeat that you “love” the company to your coworkers and clients. They have a very high burn out rate and an outrageous amount of turn over. In fact, they unapologetically terminate 1 in every 3 new hires. In the Houston office everyone sleeps with their coworkers, which is a practice that was started by the executive team. All my coworkers are miserable and looking for other jobs. I hear crying in the bathrooms on a daily basis.

My advice to the management is to invest in Dale Carnegie training and to lawyer-up for employment lawsuits. The CEO is an egomaniacal micromanager. He expects his employees to entertain him like dancing monkeys. The best dancers are the directors that come from staffing, retail and rental car services. These employees are as moronic as they come! They have completely let their authority go to their heads and conduct themselves in the most unprofessional way imaginable. They also come to work ill and contagious while bragging about their laudable work ethic. They have raves which are essentially inappropriate pep rallies where employees have to preform skits and be judged by the CEO and executive team. At a 1990’s themed rave an executive and his assistants vulgarly preformed a rap reenactment of the Bill Clinton/ Monica Lewinski semen-stained blue dress. I wouldn’t recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Great memories of working here!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was my first job our of college so my pay was minimal, but the experience was good. Almost like working for a fraternity. They are serious about their work, but have A LOT of fun at the same time. Met a ton of great people and am appreciative for the experience.

Cons

If you left at 5 you were looked down upon. They did not appreciate "clock watchers." Expected to work long hours. No management at the time had kids so they were not understanding of a life/work balance.

I'm sure many things have changed, but I know management was fairly immature at the time. Balance the work and fun more.

You Poor Unfortunate Souls

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have met some amazing people while working at alliantgroup. The food being brought in is thoughtful but there should be a healthy option everyday.

Cons

I would first like to start by saying I did find some wonderful friendships, I learned a tremendous amount about myself and about what I expect out of an employer. I am a strong and capable worker so none of the "if you are lazy and not a top performer" bs doesn't apply to me. You can be a strong, responsible, hard working top performer and still despise going to work at alliantgroup everyday. Which, in all honesty you should despise wasting your talents and energy in a company that could not care less about you as an employee or human being. You are a slave to alliantgroup. You will have zero work-life balance. You WILL be expected to stay late. I am not talking 7 or 7:30, that's reasonable, oh no, you will be there until 8, 10, 12 o'clock sometimes even out of tax season. Heaven forbid you leave on time. Shame on you for having a life and not drinking the "alliantgroup kool-aid" PS you WILL gain weight. And, you WILL be berated in front of your colleagues.Those are just the general cons you will see everyday.

I am intelligent, I have a degree, and I work hard. I bet you do too, but that won't stop management (project managers training you, team directors, CRA leads, senior management, Business Directors) from screaming and belittling you, at a high volume, in front of an audience. If you mess up, own it and deal with it there is a 40% chance you won't be screamed at. Word to Management-let it die after that, no need to keep bringing it up months later just to make someone feel bad when you are having a power trip. If you didn't mess up, well sorry for you, you still did. You will be yelled at and belittle for arbitrary learning mistakes (training is quick, don't miss a word or you'll be effed). You will be screamed at for things your trainee, team director, cra did and now you are accountable for it because you are an easy fall guy. The poor PC's and DE employees get the brunt of almost all the hate. The pm could have clearly messed up and bad. Well, as a PC you better hope to god you saved all your emails with explicit detail into what you were told to do/not do. And as a DE member, its a good thing you have so many checks and balances because when those PM's don't calculate the credit correctly it will now be your fault. QC members, sucks for you too. Luckily you have a little more say and can defend yourselves and your work.

Hey, I have an idea, let's take the mistakes that happen and turn them into learning opportunities. Let's (NICELY) try and guide, train, encourage and teach our team members the correct process in completing any action. Let's NOT guilt trip, yell at, belittle, make each other cry over titling the subject line of an email wrong. Noone needs a 45 minute lecture over silly mistakes. Address the issue, teach someone the correct way (with respect), then move on.

Note to anyone who has somebody "supporting" them. Treat people with respect and dignity. (If this is ever happens I will probably fall over dead.) We are human beings who deserve to be treated with respect and common decency. We are not your slaves. Noone should be living in fear while at work. If I treat you with respect I expect the same in return. You shouldn't speak down to those who are helping you do your job everyday. I am not an idiot, I am not a dog and I am not your b**ch. Please and thank you will go further than hatefulness and disrespect. If you can't do your job without me why treat me in a manner that makes me want to leave work mid-day? Why are you going to expect everyone to do everything for you when you berate them and make them feel bad about themselves? Eventually you will run out of favors, just ask all the team directors who were demoted. (Except one, who is a kind man, he was demoted for being nice, figures) PS to those who are "back in power" or new to it, savor it, nothing will last forever. Or, try being respectful and getting the most out of happy employees, that will get you farther in life.

Let's cut it out with the ridiculous expectations and requests. Noone can sustain working 65-80 hour work weeks and perform at a high-level. I respect and expect high-performance from myself and others. That does not mean work 70 hours a week just to stay above the drowning line. Don't give people so many clients (60 is ridiculous), work them 70 hours a week, dump 30 projects in a newly promoted "associates" lap. You are setting your employees up for failure. In all honestly, I think management does this on purpose. The turnover is high because noone can get everything done and live up to the expectations. If everyone had a smaller study load then management would have to actually treat people as if they are human beings and that is just not how they like to play. I'm sure HR would love it if all senior management was replaced so they wouldn't have to hide so many HR violations.

A note to project managers-I love most of you but some of you need to remove your head from your a**. You are not God, you are not curing cancer, you are not saving the world, and for the love of humanity you are not the smartest person to ever be born. It infuriates me to no end when I hear PM's walking around talking about all PC's, DE, CRA's are "dumb" or "stupid". Thank you for insulting my intelligence and demeaning all the hard work I do for you everyday. If we are so "stupid" why are we filling out all your information needed to "calculate" the credit, write your case studies, or write your status updates? You trust us to take care of that for you but "that's PC work" is said condescendingly on a daily basis.

As I have previously said, I work hard everyday with excellent work product. My work ethic is tremendous which is why I will succeed even in adverse situations like alliantgroup. Had I been treated with respect and dignity maybe I would still be there but I found my way out. To all my friends still suck at alliantgroup, you poor unfortunate souls, there are other opportunities out there don't drink their kool-aid!

PS-When you ask someone to get you a form and they bring you extra (because it will be needed in the future) you shouldn't yell at them at the top of your lungs that you only asked for one and that listening to details is important (for 20 minutes), then mess up on the one form you would take and ask for another. That's called being proactive not ignoring instructions.

Get rid of all the senior management. Start fresh with kind humans not dementours who suck out your soul with every lie they tell.

If you can't get rid of them try giving respect.

One of the most toxic working environments I have ever experienced

I worked at alliantgroup, LP (more than an year)

Pros

A paycheck, health benefits, food brought in.

Cons

Management. A lawyer runs the company. Lawyers are not good management talent. They are good at law - period. A staffing person runs business development. Staffing backgrounds do not make good management talent. They are good at running a staffing organization.

Get out of your own way. Put your overblown egos aside and bring in competent managerial talent. Period. You can be twice as successful, make more money, and quit abusing other capable people in the process if you brought in people who knew how to change your hopelessly toxic environment. You've heard it before and you'll hear it again many times over.

Basically Just Another Bad Corporate Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers you can have fun with when the "fear" is not in the atmosphere (which is rare) ; lunch brought in occasionally ; fully covered benefits, which are OK.

Cons

High expectations full of empty promises you get led to believe from upper management; 10 hour days at the office chained to the desk if you can handle it ; no bonus opportunities 2/3 of positions ; never know when you could get fired

Long Hours and Hard Work - Great Benefits

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health Benefits, causal dress code, lunches/dinners, off season perks

There is a lot of pros if you are able to put your career above anything else. There is room for growth with a very high learning curve. This is a very challenging job that requires lots of effort and perseverance that can reward you handsomely.

Cons

Long hours. heavy work load, communication, very little work life balance, turnover

get on the same page with other departments and get more training

Fast paced, rewarding, dynamic, an incredible opportunity!

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

alliantgroup is an amazing place to work! If you are entrepreneurial at heart, have the ability to be tactical and strategic and the same time and thrive in a very fluid and dynamic environment, you belong at alliantgroup. The management team is direct, provides clear and honest feedback and encourages those of us who are passionate about truly making a difference for small to medium sized companies across the U.S. Operating with a brilliant business plan, the company continues to grow and has the courage to make needed changes and push the envelope to make changes quickly. We face new challenges daily. This is where we all brainstorm and find solutions. Again, this is an amazing place to work! I encourage all of you to visit the career site. Do not miss out the opportunity to be considered for a career opportunity with alliantgroup!

Cons

I wish I had discovered alliantgroup earlier in my career!

Continue to listen to employees. There are so many dedicated, bright and loyal people on teams across the organization. Always remember to take a minute to meet new employees and include as many employees as possible in the team building and group discussions. We all give our best each day and it is important to us to be included and have a voice.

Why did I accept a job here?

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

$5 for lunch each day, serious overtime possibilites, great starting pay for entry level professionals, met some great people working there

Cons

Honestly, almost everything...
    Overtime is definitely required and never optional
    Do not value your personal life whatsoever
    Horrible transparency policy
    Employees are afraid to discuss certain issues with upper management b/c they may be fired the next day
    High high high turnover rate...I have never seen so many people come and go in such a short period of time. My first week there, 7 people quit.
    Mangement does not value employees at all, they just need hands to actually get the job done
    High level stress environment
    The so called managers are rude and undermining. The way they are allowed to speak to one another is unheard of. I couldn't believe how some of the upper management was treating/speaking to project coordinators, client relations associates, etc.
    Favortism is a huge norm here

You need to seriously consider the way this company is ran. There is a lot of potential in your employees , but you don't even begin to tap into that. Almost everyone is unhappy and over worked. If you don't figure how to appreciate your employees, and not by just buying them food, you will continue to lose great people.

The most abusive, unhealthy environment I have ever experienced in a workplace.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met some really great people that I remain friends with, and for that I’m thankful. However, I have never felt so belittled, bullied, and beleaguered as I did when I worked at Alliantgroup. Yeah, that was alliteration. I went there.

Heads up, every single one of the 5 Star Reviews you’ll read here is from somebody who got an internal award or promotion at Alliantgroup. They are required to write one upon receiving such an accolade.

As for the negative reviews, they are all true. I did not believe them when I took the job, figuring those particular people just had a bad experience personally. Upon accepting the position I quickly realized these negative experiences are across the board. Every single person (including the very higher-ups causing the issues) is miserable, and most are actively looking for another job. The amount of turnover is unheard of.

Do. Not. Take. A. Job. Here.

If you do, to quote Arrested Development, you will have made a “huge mistake”.

Cons

This company was sold to me as a “young professional, work hard/play hard, Google-type” environment. So, perhaps naively, I assumed the company would actually live up to the expectations it set during the interviews. I came in expecting to work my butt off yet be rewarded or at least mildly appreciated for it. This assumption was so far from the truth I’m surprised the interviewers weren’t snickering as they lied straight to my face.

I thought I had seen everything that could be wrong about a workplace prior to taking this job. From the illegal billing practices to next-level insane micromanagement, my experience at Alliantgroup taught me new and improved ways to foster an abusive environment and run a company completely into the ground.

For those considering taking at job at Alliantgroup, allow me to educate you:

1. How to succeed at Alliantgroup.

This company consistently pushes away its top performers in favor of employees who will put more effort into cheerleading than doing their jobs. I have certainly worked at companies where the employees who drank the kool-aid also consistently worked the hardest out of anybody. There’s nothing wrong with towing the party line because you want to do a great job. The problem is when the company does not care about the “great job” and rewards only those blindly touting its supposed merits.

The focus at Alliantgroup is not doing good work. Nor is it doing mediocre work, nor is it working at all. You will get in trouble for leaving on time, even if your work is done. Prepare to be interrogated about every single detail of your day--by more than one person. Please note that nobody cares if you are actually working, the higher ups are only concerned with the amount of (billable) hours you take while maintaining the illusion of working. Even if you’re looking at Pinterest until 10pm, wasting the company’s time and the client’s money is a job well done at Alliantgroup.

Which brings us to…

2. Meetings.

You will have one nearly every day, and the topics on the agenda will never get covered. Rather, your department will be expected to trap itself in a conference room for 3 hours in order for the managing director to get his kicks by publicly calling out specific people for imagined lack of performance. When an executive has no concrete issue for which to bully you, he or she will either take a personal jab or manufacture a situation in which you are pushed to react and then belittle you for taking things too seriously. God forbid if you have a legitimate question to ask, you will be called an idiot for not already knowing the answer. Shame on you for trying to learn.

This is textbook manipulation, by the way, and the amount of it across all levels and job titles is unbelievable. It is worse than a 5th grade playground. I witnessed on several occasions the head of our department outright lying to members of project teams in order to pit them against each other. To what end?? I have yet to figure out the purpose or usefulness of such tactics. It certainly did not serve to foster team building or even promote productivity. In fact, the sheer amount of time required to serve face was an active deterrent to efficiency as well as morale.

I should have run when, on my first day, we were stuck in one such meeting until 10:30pm and an executive took the entire evening to yell at one person and force her to defend herself. Even as a new employee, I couldn’t figure out what she had done wrong, just that she was in the hot seat for whatever reason the capricious executive had decided to pick that day.

3. Micromanagement.

You would assume that a company, upon hiring a person to do a job, would expect that person to do that job.

At Alliantgroup, you would be wrong.

If you choose to work there, you will be regularly interrogated about the basic tasks you accomplish throughout the day by multiple levels of management. Apparently it’s crucial to the inner workings of the entire company that these overseers know the detailed minutiae of even the most mundane to-do items. The management does not believe its employees to be “capable” (direct quote) of handling their work. Thus, the peons must be micromanaged.

Expect angry emails at 2am demanding to know the status of a project, no matter that it can be easily found on the company-wide server or even--crazy idea--dealt with during work hours. Expect to send a spreadsheet detailing every single thing you’ve accomplished for the day within an inch of how many bathroom breaks you’ve taken to an executive who receives over 200 such emails and has no intentions of ever reading it. This meaningless process will take you over an hour. Which, of course, also means extra time to bill to each of the applicable clients. Management has zero interest in maximizing the efficiency of this practice, by the way. Any attempt to streamline the process into even a weekly status report rather than daily is an undertaking rivaling that of Sisyphus.

Bonus Takeaways:

If you try to maximize the efficiency of anything at Alliantgroup, go ahead and pack up your desk because you will be let go.

If you try to request time off, pack up your desk because you will be let go.

If you spend more time working than trying to get an invite to paintball with your boss, you will be accused of “not trying hard enough to build a relationship” with him regardless of your attempts to get on his calendar in order to touch base, so you better pack up your desk because you will be let go.

If you play the game well, do your job, and tow the party line, the company will still be losing money to its ill-advised investment into the new building and multiple major lawsuits, so pack up your desk because you will be let go.

Alliantgroup is and always will be a lose-lose situation.

My only regret is not eating more of the mediocre free food (Café Express!) while I had the chance.

The level of incompetence at Alliantgroup is astounding. Read an actual book (they even come in digital form now) on managing people. You couldn’t handle a pet rock, much less a team of capable professionals.

You clearly think you can stay afloat on a consistently revolving door of recent college grads, but eventually that tactic will drain your resources. Enjoy your mandatory “raves”, the money will not last forever.

alliantgroup, LP Photos