alliantgroup, LP

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.9

Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • They also entice people with free food and being able to wear jeans (in 14 reviews)

• I have always been rewarded for all the hard work I put into the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• tax season with so many people leaving and too much work to distribute (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

You Get What You Put In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-high performance environment
    -work with really intelligent individuals
    - you're always learning new things (my biggest fear is being bored so this has been the perfect company for me)
    -if you are passionate about what you do and put in the effort, you will be rewarded well
    -the culture (you develop strong friendships because of all the fun and engaging activities that the Company holds)

Cons

I've read through a lot of the reviews on here and although I am baffled by the negative ones, I can see how alliantgroup is not for everyone. If you want a job purely to check in, check out and float through life without being engaged- don't join this company. This is definitely not somewhere you go just to collect a paycheck and have a mind numbing day. You join this company if you want to really enjoy what you do, be engaged and like to be challenged.

It's not a 9-5 job. There are some days you work longer hours and some days you work shorter hours but when you enjoy what you're doing, time flies by either way.

Hard work is a must

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide lunch and dinner during tax season. "raves" occur a few times a year where alcohol is provided.

Cons

Working late is a must, even when it's not tax season. They pay poorly, no bonuses provided unless upper level, and promote within the company only when you put in 70 plus hour work weeks (weekends included).

Value every worker and show your appreciation to those who work hard, not just the favored one sin the company.

The best decision I've ever made was to accept a position with alliantgroup, LP!

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We help U.S. businesses every day! During the recent economic downturn, we heard story after story of the companies whose doors stayed open and kept employees due to the dollars we helped them receive! This is truly THE most gratifying job in the world!

Management and Senior colleagues are approachable and encouraging; everyone truly wants to see you succeed beyond your wildest dreams!!

An awesome new building in Houston with amazing views and lots of open space to collaborate with colleagues!

Cons

Don't come here if you don't want to grow! You'll be challenged on a daily basis to be your best!

CHANGE is needed

I worked at alliantgroup, LP as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, great coworkers to work with

Cons

Management could be a lot better, high-turnover, no work-life balance

Mean Girls Meets Wannabe Wolf of Wall Street

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

1. Free food. If you don't mind getting fat. Sometimes provided as many as 3 times a day. Which means without a doubt that your boss expects you to work through every meal.

2. The company "promotes transparency". Welcome to your glass cubicle, where everyone can and will be spying on you. Favoritism and snitching is not only valued but is promoted and initiated by supervisors.

3. If you are male, you might be given the opportunity for growth within the company. If you are female, you might be given the opportunity to move around within the company to various positions, but your career will definitely not see any growth.

Cons

Let me tell you a story…..

Poor little alliantgroup, forced to lie and con people into believing that this might be a great company to work for! This company is in cahoots with various staffing companies, so for your own sake, take heed of red flags. Also note, that when an employee of alliantgroup wins an internal award they are REQUIRED to write a positive review of the company online. Those will be the only positive reviews you will ever find about this company.

Red flag: You will be painted a picture that alliantgroup is the next "Google". That alliantgroup has a young fun culture; where the amount of time and effort you put in as an employee will directly impact your career. That your career is in your hands and you can make what you want of it. That drive and professionalism are valued characteristics. You might believe this for a while, but when you're done drinking the kool-aide, you will begin to see the truth. And trust me, the kool-aide always runs out….

Red Flag: Working for the firm in the Wolf of Wall Street would have been a more accurate description of this company. However, imagine that all of your supervisors are Regina George, but not nearly as pretty or skinny. Also imagine that all of their assistants are Gretchen Wieners, plotting how to get closer to their boss and how to get you out of the picture. Lastly, imagine you get paid a lot less. A LOT LESS. Now are you starting to see the picture?

Red Flag: The only people who are permanent/full time employees are those who are hired directly. If you were hired through a staffing agency you can bet ALL of your pretty pennies that you are temp-to-hire. Your agency will tell you to your face that you were hired directly, but once you try to turn in a time sheet, alliantgroup will tell you that you’re not, and you need to fill out the correct “temp-to-hire” timesheet. Welcome to the world of deception! Put nicely.

Red Flag: Should you chose to continue to work for alliantgroup as a temp-to-hire, under the assumption that they will honor your contract and hire you permanently upon its’ completion, assume otherwise. alliantgroup will not hire you, nor many others permanently because they don’t know when you will stop drinking the kool-aide. When you do start to see the reality of it all, should you choose to respect yourself and your career and stand up for yourself, they will fire you. And they certainly don’t want to have to pay you unemployment, disregard that you never had any benefits to begin with, that’s out of the picture.

Red Flag: You will have to beg for time off. You absolutely will have to beg for it, and if you get it, you will be made to feel guilt about it regardless of the fact that you are taking time off WITH OUT pay. Feel bad, you’re a baaaaad person!

Red Flag: Don’t get to close to anyone; if you do they will separate you. This will either happen by moving you to a new department, a different floor, or firing one of you.

BEST WORDS OF ADVICE:
    Interview at alliantgroup, there’s a 99% chance that you will be hired. Then use their offer as leverage to get a better job somewhere else.

For those of you who still choose to go ahead and “see what it’s like for yourself” to work at alliantgroup, Glassdoor will be here for you when it’s over and you desperately want some one to know the truth.

1. When you tell your employees that you have an "open door policy", you might want to add that this policy applies only to your favorite employees.
    2. The amount of bribes you dole out will never be able to keep the great employees from walking away.
    3. The amount of money you make does not equal the amount of success you have managing your employees.
    4. If you hired a person to do a job, you should expect that they can do it on their own. Otherwise why don't you just do both jobs if you're going to micromanage.

Absolutely Awful. How are those "big a" 's for ya?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays more because they know how awful it is to be there.
    Has a young, laid back crowd.
    Free food.

Cons

No professionalism by upper management.
    Can't learn a thing from upper management because they're all too busy talking bad about their employees and gossiping.
    Horrible training, direction, and support.
    You won't get noticed unless you stay until after 9:00.
    This company is seriously a joke. Everyone sleeps with each other, including upper management.
    It might sound good when interviewing, but don't make the mistake. 70% of people quit within a year of working here. Save your time.

Advice? They don't listen to anybody except themselves.

Unprofessional in an unhealthy work environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-During the tax season, they'll bring in good food from good restaurants for dinner and sometimes lunch
    - $5 lunch daily
    - Garage parking
    - free soda vending machines
    - fun parties (halloween costume party, christmas pod decorating party, etc)

Cons

- Management take advantage of the fact that they are higher up than you. They treat you like crap.
    - So much overtime hours. If you leave before 6:30pm, you'll get questioned as to why you "left so early" when your scheduled hours are until 6pm.
    - They'll rarely notice your work - unless you're a favorite.
    - Everyone WILL talk crap about you and those words will fly around QUICK
    - They'll hire anyone. I've met people who have a degree in Chemistry, Psychology, Art, etc and their job has NOTHING to do with what they got their degree on.

I shouldn't be afraid of my supervisor. My supervisor is the one I am supposed to look up to and ask for help if I need help. Also, encourage your employees to do more instead of making them feel like they'll never be good enough for you. Help them with the things you want them to get done. Also, help your temps to become perms. If there's something you disslike about them, let them know so they can improve on it and become a perm within the company. Don't let them just hang there as a temp for more than their 90 days probation. If they've been with the company for more than 90 days, why not make them permanent? If you didn't like them, let them go before the 90 days is over.

Underhanded practices when dealing with employees

Former Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Soda machine use is free
    $5/day stipend for use at the building cafeteria

Cons

9.5 hour days minimum and most positions do not qualify for overtime
    A severe lack of planning/foresight at all management levels
    Understaffed for important job roles = more than 10 hour days to meet ridiculous deadines
    Least organized company for the department I worked within
    Part of the political-lobbyist "revolving door" scumbaggery

I am surprised the firm has survived for ten years.

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) The Work - The work is actually interesting. You will spend a lot of your work day talking to your clients and learning about several different industries.
    2) Food - The firm provides free sodas, $5 for the building's cafeteria, and brings in food during tax season. Additionally, on special occasions, breakfast and afternoon treats will be provided as well. On the downside, eating healthy in the office is difficult.
    3) Co-workers - There was not a single associate I did not like on my team and there are definitely a lot of friendships I will maintain. While I do not regret leaving the firm, I do miss seeing my co-workers every day.
    4) Career Opportunity - Within approximately three months, you will be running your own studies, if not before then. You will get your first promotion in six months and your second a year after that.
    5) Social Activities - The firm provides several social activities for its employees including, free movie nights for the latest blockbusters, happy hours, team outings, and office parties.

Cons

1) Work hours - I had friends who worked at big law firms making three times as much as I did and worked less than I did. During the interview, the firm talked about work/life integration and spun it as the firm creates an environment where you, the associate, will enjoy being. This is utterly false. Employees are at work as much as they are because the firm expects so much that you are forced to abandon the rest of your life to try to meet their expectations. During tax season, I usually worked (either in the office or at home) until midnight plus weekends. The other six months of the year, I usually worked at the office until 8PM and always struggled to meet the firm's expectations.

2) Distractions - I never found the atmosphere in the office to be conducive for several reasons. First, there are too many people Several employees will ask you the same question about the same client every day. Decorum usually breaks down around 4PM The firm expects you to respond to every email and phone call within 5 minutes. (In comparison, most time management tips will tell you it is more efficient to check your email only a few times a day to minimize distractions and increase productivity).

Additionally, But nothing the firm condones minimizes distractions. People will ask you the same question five times every day and office decorum usually breaks down around 4PM, which makes it even more difficult to get any work done. So basically, you try to meet every deadline after shooting yourself in both hands and feet. Oh, and if you try to wear headphones to drown out of distractions in the office, you will be seen as not being 100% in.

3) Constantly changing procedures - In an effort to deal with the high employee turnover, the firm is constantly changing procedures to improve the transition of an unfinished study from the employee who just left the firm to the new employee. The procedures do nothing to address the real problem, high employee turnover, and only create new work for the current employees, which results in higher employee turnover. Plus, procedures are announced before they are finalized and live dates are never announced. If employees don't check every day to make sure a new form hasn't been released, you will undoubtedly caught off guard some 23 days later when the form is finally on the server and is now required. Additionally, management will arbitrarily enforce procedures that had not been required for sometime. And when you are puzzled by the new procedure management will not say "this is something we have let slide for some time, but is now something we are cracking down on," but "This has always been the procedure. I don't know what you are talking about when you say you came into my office yesterday and things were different."

4) The firm thinks it is amazing - The company does not believe it is doing anything wrong. If you cannot meet a deadline because you have too much work, it's your fault for not being more efficient with your time. If an associate quits, it's because a) he/she has health problems that requires a leave of absence, b) other employees scared the employee away, or c) he/she cannot take ownership of his/her own career and wants an environment they can just sit around. If the company was so amazing, they wouldn't have coerce current employees into writing favorable reviews for this website. In the past six months, they have pushed out some amazing senior associates and associate directors because they were no longer 100% committed to the firm. Everyone gets burnt out after working as much as the firm expects and the firm's response isn't to thank it's employees but to push them out when they begin to stumble. One caveat, the firm LOVES competition and will hold competitions that will reward the top 1% for being the best and push the other 99% of the firm to the breaking point or out the door.

6) Billing - During my interview, I was told 99% of the firm makes its billing goal. Based on my experience this is not true. I made my monthly billable goal four times and never made

I really enjoyed the work we did, but the firm made it impossible for me to work there. You really need to start caring about employee retention. Listen to your employees and address their concerns. If what was said during the meetings is true, last year the firm hired 300 people, which works out to 300 people leaving the firm as well. Every employee who leaves is a bridge you are burnt. After my third month, I stopped referring friends to the firm. By the sixth, I was afraid to tell strangers who I worked for because they inevitably repeated said negative things about the company they heard from friends.

STAY AWAY, NEVER CONSIDER, A JOB AT "a"LLIANTGROUP.

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They allow you to drink. Free SUGAR (Soda). Pay 100% Medical and Dental, if you last past 90 days.

Cons

While my time there was short, it is actually longer than most people. First off, work / life balance is non-existent, you are expected to work a minimum of 11-14 hour days Monday -Friday..
    No matter how qualified you are, if you speak with any hint of an accent you will not be interviewed in person and will not be contacted by alliantgroup again. It does not matter if you have a PHD from Harvard and 5 years experience. Directors and favored employees will come into the office hungover or will not come in at all due to the fact. Directors will blame you for somthing they did so that the CEO and COO won't think that they dropped the ball. alliantgroup still participate in MASS EMAILS. With over 500 employees they will send emails out to everyone. I woke up one morning with over 120 emails on my phone congratulating some random person in another department... REALLY? Also there is no HR presence at alliantgroup, if you complain about something or have an issue, more than likely you will be fired.

I witnessed first hand more than 4 people quit within a week of being hired (these are not teenagers, these people who quit have degrees from respected colleges)
    I was rewarded by upper management for going above and beyond (This incuded an email to my director and a gift card), I was never tardy, never called in, I was qualified for my position, never punished, never written up and never given a verbal warning of any kind. I was fired by alliantgroup (shocked) no later than 2 weeks after being rewarded. For why you ask? I asked the same question to my director. "Why?". I was given no response by my director or HR person and told that I would be walked out. This all took place a week before my insurance would have gone into effect, coincidence? I will never know. I do know that alliantgroup offers NO job security at all.
    Most people employeed by alliantgroup are activily looking for another job. Most of the complaints I heard while there were the hours, favored employees, under qualified directors, lack of training and no opportunities for growth.
    If you are in desperate need of a job, you are better of staying on your parents couch and looking some place different.

NEVER FOLLOW, ALWAYS LEAD, WE DARE YOU.
    More like STAY AWAY, NEVER CONSIDER, A JOB AT "a"LLIANTGROUP.
    I never understood the little "a"...

Get off your high horse and do something productive. Give raises and promotions where they are due.

alliantgroup, LP Photos