artnet Reviews

3.9
Jacob Pabst

1. Overall good

I have been working at artnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great company to work for not only for the people and environment, but also for artnet's role in making the art world more transparent.

Cons

There is a lot of upper level turnover.

2. busy, but largely fulfilling

I have been working at artnet full-time

Pros

friendly staff, good vacation policy

Cons

long hours, no holiday bonus

Advice to Management

flex hours in the summer to make up for lots of unpaid overtime during the year

Fantastic place to work.

Current Employee - Tech/Design in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech/Design in New York, NY

I have been working at artnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been a great year at this company, a beautiful space which has been thought about with great detail. Not just another office. Everything is open plan, very nice light as there are windows on both sides which makes it a very nice place to work in. There seems to be a great team spirit and no space for office politics. Employees are not being micromanaged which results in people working hard as they enjoy what they do. The hours are very flexible as long as the work gets done, what counts is the result. Great environment if you are self motivated, want to push yourself and advance your career. The projects vary a lot, so you get to work in many different fields while at the same time learning and being exposed to new advances in design, technology and the art world. Artnet have moved in a great direction with regards to its design and branding. The new website and its various products are testament to this. The company made a conscious decision to work with talented designers and brand experts, the results are visible. They have a new vacation day policy that allows a lot of flexibility, people are allowed to work from home, there is breakfast at the office, parties in exciting locations and ping pong. Informational meetings with the CEO are held regularly to let people know what and how the company is doing. The CEO is accessible to the teams and involves everyone, he's open to people's opinions and ideas which produces great results at the end of the day.

Cons

I have not found there to be any cons while working at artnet.

5. Fantastic, promising, employee friendly company with lot of growth opportunities

I worked at artnet

Pros

I worked at artnet for over 6 years. I had very good experience working there with
    fantastic people, and working for the leading online company in art world. I am not able to understand some of the bad reviews that are written here...maybe bitter ex-employees who were let go.
    Overall, there is good team spirit and people love to work for artnet. The management is very employee friendly, and the CEO Jacob Pabst himself is working hard to continuously improve the culture and work environment. Sometimes, the business strategy is not well enough communicated and can change, but it is a dynamic environment and understandable. Anyway, this is an area, where management can do better job of communication to employees. Overall, it is an excellent company to work for with very good benefits and other perks, and more importantly, with lot of growth opportunities. It was an absolute privilege to be working there with some amazing people. I miss working for artnet!

Cons

Communication of strategy from management could be better.

6. Great Team Spirit, Exciting Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at artnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall I am very satisfied with working at artnet. I've been with the company for 3 years now and know it well by now.
    There is a good team spirit, people are nice, the office is beautiful and management under CEO Jacob Pabst is thinking constantly about ways to make things even better for everyone. You can sense that they really care about their employees. Again people are really nice and mostly work well together which makes it more than a job.
    I started about 3 years ago and the company has come a long way and made a lot of progress in all areas in the time I've been here. The new website for example is beautiful and we are working on many exciting projects and the latest technologies which makes it an interesting environment to work in for me personally.

Cons

It's a relatively small company with 100+ people and since there are not that many management levels it's difficult to grow, but I prefer that actually over working in a large corporation where the things you work on can be very limited. Management also always looks to recruit from within first when there is an open position so there are opportunities.

So far so good!

I have been working at artnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fun, relaxed working environment
    - Friendly, predominantly young co-workers who are always prepared to help each other out
    - Beautiful office - lots of artworks

Cons

- Communication between employees could be better. People siting within 6 feet of me send emails - more talking would be appreciated
    - Can be bureaucratic - challenging to implement ideas/projects

8. The best art world firm to be working at right now

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at artnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very friendly, exciting working environment
    - Management very capable, supportive, open to new ideas
    - Great growth opportunities, new positions from within
    - Young, forward-thinking CEO

Cons

- Very fast-paced, not suitable for those with below par work ethic

Advice to Management

- Continue to update website
    - Higher salaries are always appreciated

Nepotism, Weak Leadership and No Business Plan

I worked at artnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office space. A young friendly environment. Regular 9-5 work hours.

Cons

Nepotism and a lack of business strategy pretty much sums it up.

The former CEO passed on his title to his son, J.Pabst, who has little .com or digital insight and a serious lack of business savvy. More family members have since been brought on and granted questionable titles/opportunities since Pabst took the reigns.

The company lacks a clear business plan which is reflected in the severely outdated website, rapid turnover of staff and low pay. There have been frequent and abrupt changes in leadership over the 2 years and change Pabst has been CEO. Additionally pay is well below the standard of the industry and NYC living. Not to mention raises are tough to come by and rarely higher than a cost of living bump.

Advice to Management

Hire people in leadership positions who are actually qualified to do their job. Make decisions, stick to them and move things forward. Then maybe you'll be able to afford to keep talented people.

Needs clearer direction, greater transparency

I worked at artnet full-time

Pros

Great, friendly, young, down-to-earth coworkers, beautiful office space, good way to break into the art market field

Cons

Lack of transparency from execs, low salary, little room for career growth, minimal vacation time

Great company despite the management

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at artnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great product, great employees
    beautiful office

Cons

badly-run, family-owned company,
    no appreciation from management,
    no clear vision for the future of the company

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and communicate

RSS Feed </> Embed