athenahealth

Updated Jul 7, 2014

athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush

Jonathan S. Bush

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Koolaid flows heavily but the consumption is unforced and natural

Small Group Sales (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsNearly every person in every department enjoys their job and feels a significant impact is being made to the company and healthcare as a whole. Cafeteria (Nourish) is tremendous! Great, fresh, locally sourced food that is priced at nearly cost.

ConsLarge campus that is not as close to downtown Boston as many would like. The parking situation is getting worse monthly.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything seems to be working as it should. Cross department/discipline communications could be better. For example, some of L2 training seems to contradict/undermine L3 teachings.

Great place for the right person

People Manager (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsCompensation is good. Benefits are good. Great campus although parking can be tough after 8:00am. Visionary CEO that truly wants to make his mark in improving healthcare in the US.

ConsType A personalities only. This of course is not a con if you are type A. But if you are not there is not a lot patience for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Great Company

Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsAthena has a startup mentality when it comes to the culture: it's innovative, mission-oriented, fast growing, and full of smart and motivated people who care about what we're doing. The benefits are great, compensation is in line with or above other similar technology companies in Boston. The CEO is amazing and makes you want to do better at your job. Extremely transparent: At company meetings, our CEO stands up and reads and answers (off the cuff) all of the questions asked by the employees, no matter what they are.

ConsThe parking starting to become an issue due to how quickly we're growing. The lines in the cafeteria are also becoming an issue, though we're in the process of building a larger cafeteria (and the food is awesome). I think the fast growth could eventually impact the culture, but leadership seems hyper-aware of this and is putting teams and processes in place to make sure we keep our culture and the things which have made us such a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work culture

Intern (Current Employee)
    Waltham, MA

Prosbeer cart fridays!
    really personable employees

Consleadership
    not much room for growth

Looking good so far

G&A (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsThe potential of the Company is limitless. Support from senior management to enable change is here. Industry is in need of automation. athena is positioned to deliver that automation at reasonable prices to the healthcare providors in a cloud environment. Everyone is effected by healthcare and the industry is here to stay. Feel to be a real part of a team making a difference in the healthcare experience.

ConsFast paced environment in not for everyone. athena is constantly changing. Must be ready to accept change and all that it brings (stress, confusion, challenges). The environment of a growing company may be viewed as a negative by some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting the vision and the team.

Cool company, poor leadership and HR

Training Associate (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

Prosfun, young environment. innovative technology

Conshigh school like atmosphere, in crowd feeling.

Tremendous talent in Dev...egregious gaps in other areas

Manager (Former Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsHigh velocity environment. Learn quickly and GSD is the overarching philosophy. Huge market opportunity.

ConsCompany success (valuation) brings out the ugly. Highly political. Middle management who grow their teams and seek to develop people are the exception. Far too much territory protection in evidence. athena experience valued higher than actual operational experience. While this is obvious to many, it is rarely named. The best people either rise to Director level rapidly or leave with a bad taste in their mouth. HR is not to be trusted. Unfortunate given the challenge that 30% growth puts on and org.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your minions to tell you where you are failing. There is plenty of low hanging fruit to act upon. There are some true incompetents with leadership responsibility. It ought to be obvious who leads properly. Bullies and sycophants should be named then coached or exited. The impact to your org can be toxic.

On the bright side, you have the capacity to be transformative. Stay away from Pirate-talk benefit change discussions and you'll be okay Jonathan. The PI organization is a shadow of its former self. Ask the associates and senior associates why. They may not tell you. Keep asking. It will become very clear.

Growing too fast for their own good

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsCEO is passionate. The company is a top recognized leader in the industry and the occassional work outtings can be fun.

Consit used to be a fun and exciting place to work with a vision of becoming the Google or Amazon of healthcare, but the company has lost it's original vision and is now becoming your typical corporate job that pays the mortgage

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the bureaucratic crap that has been growing within the last 6 months. Refocus on what makes a company run (meaning happy/satisifed employees) and the C-Suite should stop worrying about stupid things such as "tooth picks in the sandwiches", and I literally mean one of our executive leaders complaining about tooth picks in sandwiches.

Great company, poor sales commission structure

Sales (Current Employee)
    Watertown, MA

ProsGreat company, great products, leader in the industry making it easier to drink the athenahealth coolade as they like to hear..

ConsCommission structure is challenging and disappointing with the fact that half your paid commission is based on another department getting your sale/client "live". The ability to work remote more often. Sales Dept. leadership is strongly against this, while other Depts. have this option available.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do a good job supporting and leading.

Stay away if you want a work/life balance

Senior Product Innovation Associate (Current Employee)
    Waltham, MA

ProsIt's challenging if you are looking for that type of work. The building and culture is very cool - Google wannabes without the free food, cars, cool conference rooms, etc.

ConsYou get hired into the "culture" and they have the right to fire you within 90 days. Even if you are a hard worker and work long hours - it doesn't really matter unless you fit in the culture. The culture is quite the geeky type so it's not really for the "cool" kids. They throw you in the deep end and expect you to figure out how to swim, if you don't swim within the first few seconds, they will push you down the pool on purpose. They basically set you up to failure so they have an excuse to oust you. The management team is not that experienced because they are so young. Most of the people there worked there from the beginning so they don't know how to appreciate a true work/life balance. They think this is the best company to work for but they have not had much experience out there. They hire college graduates right off the bat and work them until they are exhausted. There are all these cool culture perks there but no one utilizes it because you work so hard. The compensation is not that great compared to how long you work - it's comparable to auditing hours. They expect you to stay at the company and "mingle" even after you have finished all your work for the day. If you leave "early" (which is around 6:00 - 6:30PM), they assume that you're not interested in the "culture" and that you "don't fit", so they'll have the right to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the true meaning of work-life balance. Living at work doesn't necessarily equate to "life". They fire people left and right without warning - it's horrible.

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!

athenahealth Videos

athenahealth – Why Work for Us?

Managing a medical practice is difficult. We know because that's how athenahealth began. In 1997, co-founders Jonathan Bush and Todd Park ran a birthing center in California, where they found themselves inundated with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at athenahealth reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for athenahealth CEO Jonathan S. Bush. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by athenahealth employees.