athenahealth Reviews

Reset

I love athena

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great sense of mission and purpose. The most wonderful people in the world.

Cons

Lots of years of fast and complex growth creates role changes and some organizational confusion that can be stressful

Advice to Management

Keep going with making sure there are directly responsible individuals for everything. Avoid crossed lines. Simplify the application so more people can do more work faster on the inside.

Go live support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Constant beer time gatherings at company.

Cons

Low pay for position expectations. Only considered salaried when your own the road. Overwhelming pay a certain group more money for their positions.

Advice to Management

If you want the best, pay a decent living wage and you'll keep them otherwise people will continue to come and go.

As close to the "perfect career" that I have ever found

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You won't work with anyone who is neither technically incompetent nor unable to communicate, because they don't get hired in the first place. - Best teamwork I've seen in my career. Engineers work directly with product management and together do great things. - Awesome benefits: a $300 yearly budget for personal items, nearly unlimited free snacks and drinks, regular outings and fun events - The company really values their employees and make you feel important. They spend a lot of money on us. - Meaningful work with the ability to really improve healthcare and people's lives on a daily basis. - Great flexibility on hours and good work/life balance. Some people work 100% remotely. - Lots of opportunity for growth, as the company itself is growing rapidly.

Cons

- Continues to use older technologies (Perl, Perforce) with no sign of incoming changes. - Monthly/bi-monthly release cycles means that you can feel frequently pressured with deadlines. - Development practices are too focused on solving short-term solutions. Good practices like refactoring, documentation, and unit testing are often not given any time. Software quality and development time suffers as a result. - Many managers seem like they struggle with work/life balance and regularly work many more hours than they should have to. - Not much in terms of a technical development track. If you want to move up in the company, you're pretty much not going to be writing code anymore.

5. Great Place to Work!

I have been working at athenahealth

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, Great locations and excellent in-office perks, very good pay

Cons

Some old school practices are still in play

6. great place

Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth

Pros

great culture, people, and workplace

Cons

none so far, so that's good

Depends on what team your on

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Lots of smart, capable people. Good flexibility. Lots of interesting programs to work on. Newer people do care about company.

Cons

Pay is low, benefits are not good. A lot of legacy people who have become lazy and apathetic. Hard to motivate them to do anything.

Advice to Management

stick to your core competencies and grow strategically in one / two new areas at a time. Currently have your hands in too many pots, and can't focus on anything because teams are stretched too thin.

8. Sales

I have been working at athenahealth

Pros

The company culture is great

Cons

Overall it's a good company to work for.

DO NOT MAKE OUR MISTAKE! You can do better!

Current Employee - Client Services Analyst- Go Live Support in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Services Analyst- Go Live Support in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PRO: Having a job is the ONLY pro. CONS: IF YOU WERE REFERRED, THE PERSON WHO REFERRED YOU WILL GET PAID IF YOU SIGN ON. Take that into consideration. The training is a joke & you'll learn nothing & will not be prepared to do your job. When you get on the floor you'll get uncomfortable putting clients on hold 15x b/c you have no idea what you're doing b/c you weren't trained properly. There is no WORK/LIFE balance hence the salary, not hourly pay even though it's a call center. Even on the road you'll be expected to work non-stop. They will mislead & outright lie to you to get you to sign on the dotted line, then you'll realized you f'd up. They've taken on way more than they can handle & the employees suffer b/c of it while the top heads fly around the world in the jet giving speeches living lavish off of our backs.

Cons

Cons cont: One person was on the road at a GoLive when a hospital staff member poured a hot cup of coffee on them. The employee, scared to lose their job called their manager & was told to STAY until they got word back. Are you kidding me?! They don't care about your HEALTH. How ironic. The perks (yoga, free fruit, beer) are irrelevant. You won't have time for yoga b/c it's only 1 hour, 1 day a week. Who cares about fruit & not every1 drinks. They make it seem really sophisticated like they have it together but it's a joke. They don't know anything & neither will you. They lie about your holiday's off, b/c while everyone else gets 10 you get 6. They lie about hours, b/c you'll be expected to work 11 hour days & now the call center doesn't close until 11pm which they don't tell u. They promote ppl who are horrible at their jobs, but have "good" personalities. How does that benefit a company that's on it's way to $1bill? It's sad to see ppl who have no skill be promoted due to office politics.

Advice to Management

You all don't know any better & it shows. I'm not just referring to the job, but life in general. If you knew better you wouldn't be working here & the second I find something better I'm joining the others who have left. We're not kids, we adults & expect to be treated as such. I'm a grown man, NO I won't respond to emails asking where I was for those 3 minutes I got off of the phones. I was taking a pee break. Would you like to come next time? You don't own us. We have the same if not more experience than you so kill the egos.

10. Account Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and company culture. Fun, vibrant and hip place to work. Has the feel of a small tech start up with the bankroll of a publicly traded entity.

Cons

Can be difficult to move up in the company depending on what office you get hired into. The often push a lot of lateral movement within the company and hire from outside for higher up positions.

go live analyst

Current Employee - Go Live Support Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Go Live Support Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth (Less than a year)

Pros

great company culture energetic team

Cons

mediocre pay, call center in the city

RSS Feed </> Embed