bd's Mongolian Barbeque

overall it's been pleasant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time

Pros

My colleagues have become my family and the atmosphere is very laid back

Cons

We are only allowed to work 28 hours a week so most people have to have a second job to supplement their income.

Quit giving employees the run-around, just be straight forward they will respect you more in the end (this goes towards the owner as well)

good in theory but not in practice

Current Employee - Back of House in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Back of House in Chicago, IL

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At my store, I get a lot of hours. So I make at least some money. Some of the MGR are good, others are just not. You can go to MGR and talk, if you have a problem or a question. If you are in a good mood you will have a lot of fun.

Cons

no health insurance (the company took away the health insurance for the teammates), lots of high school drama. No room for upward movement ( I have been there almost 18 months, all of the MGR trust me to do my job, but yet they can not give me a raise). Did I mention the high school drama?

Reward the harder working people, not the people that "milk the clock" just to get over time, and not the people that stand around and pick fights, and push people buttons to get reactions and not the people that just stand around and talk.

The most unique experience in a restaurant, even as an employee

Current Employee - Griller in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Griller in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff is for the most part relaxed and easygoing, so it is nice to go into work. Also you get to have fun with the guests since the whole atmosphere of the restaurant is laid-back.

Cons

Unfortunately BOH employees are limited to the tips the directly receive, which is just grillers usually. Many guests do not know that tips given to the servers are just for the servers.

Tip-out for BOH employees.

I was a seasonal grill cook.

Former Employee - Grill Cook in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Grill Cook in Dublin, OH

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun work environment for those that could handle the pressure. You had the chance to talk to a lot of people while cooking great food right in front of them. The co workers were great to work with as well. Great pay as well.

Cons

It was difficult to move up. Even though I was skilled at my job and could teach it to others, I was not given much of a chance to advance.

Great place to work

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque

Pros

Hours, good locations, good food

Cons

Poor management, long days, no tips

love the job

Current Employee - Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great environment, and management is exceptional

Cons

hot, low salary, minimal benefit options, long career advancement

Griller

Former Employee - Griller in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Griller in Toledo, OH

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of good tips, fun atmosphere, great co workers

Cons

very hot, very sweaty, mornings are deadly slow, servers sometimes think their better than everyone else, but fail to realize that everyone comes to BD's to see the grillers

cross train more employees

Great restaurant to work for (Columbus OH)

Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, management was great, good way to learn sales techniques (have to learn how to sell even more due to the simplicity of the restaurant), management was top notch, and the food is just awesome.

Cons

Clientele is sometimes difficult with it being a buffet-type restaurant, people think it is a much easier job than it is working in this restaurant

Have more contests to get servers involved in more sales

Met some amazing people.

Former Employee - Waitress in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Waitress in Portage, MI

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My assistant manager and general manager were AWESOME! The atmosphere is fun, and the hours really fly by when its busy.

Cons

Closing duties. I can't believe I got paid $2.65 an hour to do some of the stuff I did. Unbelievable. Also, most customers don't tip like at a regular restaurant... when all you do is bring out rice and/or tortillas, drinks and maybe appetizers or desserts, how can you blame them? Didn't make as much as I thought I would in my first waitressing job.

I meant some of the best people ever working at BD's.

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque

Pros

I was new to Columbus, didn't really know many people however once a friend got me a job at BD's I had more friends than I knew what to do with. There was a real sense of family. We all worked together to accomplish the same goal. I had a lot of fun working there, plus a free bowl of stir fry with every shift! I would sometimes come to pick up a shift just so I could eat for free!

Cons

I had to start off on the grill before being able to be a server. Everyone has to do their time on "THE GRILL." It's like an initiation and it's HOT....very very HOT. We made the best of it and had some really good times there as well. It's just very very.....hot and greasy back there. The customers really enjoying getting their food cooked to order right now and right in front of them.

It's not easy being a manager period however being a resturant manager is very difficult. I think that even under the pressures of getting customers in and out in a happy and orderly fashion they all handled it very professionally.