bd's Mongolian Barbeque Reviews

Reset
3.6
Joe Phraner

1. I like it.

Pros

love the people, jobs not too bad

Cons

pay could be better when an average meal is $15

2. FOH Corporate Trainer

Former Employee - FOH Corporate Trainer, Bartender, Server, Trainer in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture of the company. bd's biggest asset. The concept is great and it is a family oriented place with great energy surging within the great walls of each restaurant. It's not just a place to eat or work. It's an experience. Many lifelong friends i made there, either coworkers or restaurant guests.

Cons

Infrastructure and blatant favoritism that occurs. Slackers get a free pass and the good horses get ridden hard to carry the rest of the workload. The franchising process sort of fosters this type of mode of operation.

Advice to Management

Recognize your good employees better and frequently. Don't be so quick to comp things. Let the system work and allow the product to sell itself. Make more of the experience and less of the process.

3. Great company for a server, other than that; eh :/

Current Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque full-time

Pros

You work with great people. Those they have employed over the years have been a blast to work with. If you are a server you will make great money working short shifts. On weekends you can work starting at 4 and be out by 9/10 and make over $150.

Cons

Every other position; Kitchen, Grill, Host, or Manager. Every position besides manager makes the min (currently $8.10) an hour. Their hourly managers only make $10 an hour. That is right you only make $2 more an hour than the hosts to run a restaurant. The salary managers make far less than competing restaurant managers. Their employee turnover is horrid. They rarely have more than 5 servers and maybe 25% of back of house employees working who have been there for over a year. The owners do not seem to know how to run a restaurant.

Advice to Management

This is not advice for management but for the owners and corporate. If you launch a new menu targeting those who do not go to your restaurant as they do not want to make their own food and want it made for them like most restaurants, you need to advertise to those people. If you do not let them know that there is a new menu, they will never know as they do not come to your restaurant. Also if you want to run like a restaurant, you must be set up like a restaurant; having ways to keep food warm, room for it to be made, areas for food to be picked up, ect.

5. overall it's been pleasant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time

Pros

My colleagues have become my family and the atmosphere is very laid back

Cons

We are only allowed to work 28 hours a week so most people have to have a second job to supplement their income.

Advice to Management

Quit giving employees the run-around, just be straight forward they will respect you more in the end (this goes towards the owner as well)

6. good in theory but not in practice

Current Employee - Back of House in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Back of House in Chicago, IL

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At my store, I get a lot of hours. So I make at least some money. Some of the MGR are good, others are just not. You can go to MGR and talk, if you have a problem or a question. If you are in a good mood you will have a lot of fun.

Cons

no health insurance (the company took away the health insurance for the teammates), lots of high school drama. No room for upward movement ( I have been there almost 18 months, all of the MGR trust me to do my job, but yet they can not give me a raise). Did I mention the high school drama?

Advice to Management

Reward the harder working people, not the people that "milk the clock" just to get over time, and not the people that stand around and pick fights, and push people buttons to get reactions and not the people that just stand around and talk.

7. The most unique experience in a restaurant, even as an employee

Current Employee - Griller in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Griller in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is for the most part relaxed and easygoing, so it is nice to go into work. Also you get to have fun with the guests since the whole atmosphere of the restaurant is laid-back.

Cons

Unfortunately BOH employees are limited to the tips the directly receive, which is just grillers usually. Many guests do not know that tips given to the servers are just for the servers.

Advice to Management

Tip-out for BOH employees.

8. I was a seasonal grill cook.

Former Employee - Grill Cook in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Grill Cook in Dublin, OH

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun work environment for those that could handle the pressure. You had the chance to talk to a lot of people while cooking great food right in front of them. The co workers were great to work with as well. Great pay as well.

Cons

It was difficult to move up. Even though I was skilled at my job and could teach it to others, I was not given much of a chance to advance.

9. Great place to work

Pros

Hours, good locations, good food

Cons

Poor management, long days, no tips

love the job

Current Employee - Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great environment, and management is exceptional

Cons

hot, low salary, minimal benefit options, long career advancement

11. Griller

Former Employee - Griller in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Griller in Toledo, OH

I worked at bd's Mongolian Barbeque part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of good tips, fun atmosphere, great co workers

Cons

very hot, very sweaty, mornings are deadly slow, servers sometimes think their better than everyone else, but fail to realize that everyone comes to BD's to see the grillers

Advice to Management

cross train more employees

RSS Feed </> Embed