bebe stores

bebe stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

bebe stores CEO Steve Birkhold

Steve Birkhold

Pros:
  • "Great discount, fun laid back environment, Coaching and developing structure"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Selling fashion forward apparel is fun & Bebe is a good place to be on top of the lastest trends with a 50% employee discount"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Managers are paid a nice hourly wage while stylists are basically paid minimum wage plus (DPH) dollar per hour commission rate"
    in 8 reviews
  • "long hours, constantly changing store set up"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Forward thinking business plans,progressive benefit & engagement strategies in place should pull bebe out of stagnation

Los Angeles, CA

ProsTerrific work-life balance for a fashion company, civility reigns, very low drama. It is nice to work with so many truly talented people.

ConsLike every company in the fashion business, the pace can be overwhelming for some people. It is important that everyone gets the training they need to start off on the right foot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore technical training will help everyone.

Flag Review
    bebe stores SVP Human Resources responded to this review May 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at bebe! Talent Development initiatives have been at the top of our list all year and look for a launch of bebe University this fall ... More

sales manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

Pros50% discount
    flexible hours
    fashion
    continuous training

Consrude customers but that's all retail

Advice to Senior Managementstick to rules and policies for all customers

Great professional opportunities

Brisbane, CA

ProsAt the corporate headquarters, there is visibility to a wide variety of levels and departments within the organization: This is a fantastic environment for those who like to be seen and to collaborate on a broad spectrum of projects across disciplines. Also great for those who are self-directed.

ConsThis isn't a con per se, but everyone at bebe needs to hit the ground running and determine for themselves how they can make an impact. There isn't the luxury of being spoon fed all of the answers for how things should be done. The pace is fast and dynamic - maybe not a great place for clock watchers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone is insanely busy, but take the time to encourage developmental opportunities within your organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glamorous Security Guard

Stylist (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis was my first fashion retail job. The managers at my store were awesome. I learned a lot about customer service and sales. The culture of the company is exciting. The dress code expectation is high. My store was not very high volume, but I did make good commission during holiday. I would probably go back during holiday.

ConsMy main problem with my position is that I was mostly just a security guard. I understand the importance of loss prevention, however it really was the focus of the position. I think it's time to hire security guards, and let sales do their job. It is very difficult to watch the front of the store and be attentive to clientele. It was often just myself and a manager on the floor. The manager would usually have to be at the cash wrap.
    During Holiday I was "promoted" to a floor supervisor position. I was not given a raise, and I was missing out on sales. I was given more responsibility with no compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way in which stylist contact their clients through telephone is very outdated. Stylist should have a way to email or text clients too. Many people do not want to talk on the phone or listen to voicemail.
    From my point of view, the conversion tracker is a terrible way to measure team performance. I worked at an outdoor, family mall. Many children and husbands may come in and out of the store multiple times during one woman's time in the store. I could see this stressed my managers out a lot.
    The quality of the clothing is not great. This resulted in many returns.
    The fact that online returns count against the store is very unfortunate and stressful for managers.

Unorganized and Disrespectful

Sales Stylist (Former Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsFlexible work schedule and great discount

ConsNo recognition of accomplishments, rude managers, horrible commission plan

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise compensation structure, appreciate your employees, have better communication

Bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswould some times get bonuses for club bebe sign ups

ConsInappropriate Hazing/Teasing, No guarantee on hours, always cutting hours then giving them to other employees they favored.

Flag Review
    I'm sorry your experience at bebe wasn't positive. We strive to provide a transparent and respectful leadership team in all our stores. If there is something specific you'd like to share or for us ... More

Love this palce

Design (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros-EXTREMELY organized
    -Room for growth
    -Great Pay
    -Nice management
    -Everyone's opinion matters / Everyone has a voice

Cons-Expensive health care
    -Location (No where to eat without driving & Terrible commute from the east side)
    -Parking, The lot fills up at 8:45 and then its street parking and you have to move your car every 2 hours
    -Heavy workloads and a lot of revolving temps to help

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more full time people and less temps.

Flag Review
    bebe stores SVP Human Resources responded to this review May 13, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks so much for the review. I'm thrilled that our culture of transparency and talent mobility initiatives have touched you and your team! While our parking situation isn't optimal at our design ... More

Great experience.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat discount, fun laid back environment, Coaching and developing structure. Great exposure to business acumen.

ConsNot much room for advancement, not enough direct communication with district manager. Company is very confused on direction of image.

Advice to Senior ManagementThorough communication with management team.

Flag Review
    I am glad our training and development programs impacted you during your time with us. We are committed to the development and talent mobility of our Associates and while more than half of our ... More

Long hours, high turnover, dose not seem like anyone knows what's going on

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, bonuses, and rewards for top performers. Met a lot of really interesting people, the brand attracts a wide variety of clients. Visually you can be creative within your store. Fun atmosphere club like music always playing.

ConsThere are major disconnects between corporate and stores. The amount of hours they fund stores is ridiculously low especially considering you do pretty much a full floor set once a week and randomly have to go through and change it several days later when they see certain product may not be selling. The problem is not how it's displayed it is the product itself. Bebe design and quality hit an all time low the last year and many clients no longer shop there because it is cheap quality they can find anywhere. Furthermore upper management comes off very fake and talk constantly about culture when really there is no culture and they could care less about you or your work/life balance. Support managers are constantly quitting because they pay them poorly and don't even get me started on stylists wages, minimum wage ? Really? And you claim to care about your employees? Bottom line is the high turnover makes things very hectic, training is very inconsistent and poorly managed, get ready to have no life and work constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less distant and quit defaulting to talking about the culture and values. Also more hours need to be funded to stores for them to run the way corporate expects them to especially with the visual work that needs done. More accountability for stores underperforming and not rewarding people who just because they go on and on about what they are going to do but produce very little actual results they just suck up to management so they are liked.

Chaotic. Prepare to put many hats on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits are not too bad but not the best I've worked at.

ConsYou might think it's a big company since it's been around for a while, but when you actually work there, it feels like a start up. There are no structure or anything planned ahead of time. Managements are unprofessional. Everyone kept leaving because of new management. I understand that being in a fashion retail company is super fast pace, but with lack of preparation and planning ahead of time, there's no excuse. Upper mangement earns a lot but don't do enough.

Worked for bebe stores? Contribute to the Community!

bebe stores Videos

bebe stores – Why Work for Us?

bebe is a global lifestyle brand that believes feeling sexy and looking great instills confidence. Our expert designs and personal service help our clients achieve this confidence across all aspects of their lives… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at bebe stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for bebe stores CEO Steve Birkhold. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by bebe stores employees.