bebe stores

bebe stores Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

bebe stores CEO Steve Birkhold

Steve Birkhold

Pros:
  • "Great Discount, Good for people interested in the fashion industry"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Selling fashion forward apparel is fun & Bebe is a good place to be on top of the lastest trends with a 50% employee discount"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours, constantly changing store set up"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Managers are paid a nice hourly wage while stylists are basically paid minimum wage plus (DPH) dollar per hour commission rate"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company to work for

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at bebe stores full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany Discount
Great Benefits (if you get lucky to work full time)
Awesome environment

ConsMinimum Pay
They push you for sales goals but few chance to grow
Overwork for the pay you get

A fun place to work in the fashion industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers, fun atmosphere, strong work ethic

ConsMostly women employees, plain office space,

horrible company

Co-Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at bebe stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people that I worked with. They are the reason why I stayed for 4 yrs. It was fun to be able to get dressed up to go to work. You alway had a great wardrobe.

ConsIn order to work with Bebe you had to be pretty!!! They like the best looking people for their high profile stores. They always want you to be wearing the latest trend(meaning you alway had to buy there clothes) Yes, we got our 40% off but that adds up. I worked at a high profile store, Manny(CEO) would come in every weekend and was "shopping" at the mall. I would spend hundreds of dollars on clothes each month, just to be in trend. They are on commission and that was hard for some of the girls. I was in management and I was salary but the girls/guys where on commission. They had to hustle to make a good paycheck. Some of them made more money then me!!! A lot has change since I left the company. They got sued for wages for managers and they don't require you to buy/wear their clothes(they still do, but they have word it differently). I feel like you where on a pageant when working with them.

great place to start...not so great to finish

Sales Audit (Current Employee)
Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time for more than a year

Prosmanagers are very supportive, on boarding and probation period are great.

Consconsistent call outs makes work a hassle when having to deal with DM and RM's who make false accusations and then having to spend 2 hours showing them they were wrong

Advice to Senior Managementmore push back to the field

BeBe is definitely not the friendliest place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at bebe stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThe customers are amazing and depend heavily on the advice and recommendations of the sales team. This lends itself to the highly commission driven culture at bebe. Therefore the commission, if you're on a good team, has the potential to be amazing.

ConsIf you have the misfortune of being a part of a self centered, cut throat team, the commission structure drives some pretty nasty behavior that the management seems to encourage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote teamwork and growth at all levels and your numbers and goals will fall in line. Promoting back stabbing and cut throat, sneaky, underhanded behavior creates a tense and stressful environment that is definitely not a great place to work.

Terrible management, long and unnecessary hours, underpaid employees

Allocations Analyst (Former Employee)
Brisbane, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time for less than a year

ProsSome people were nice, other than that ...Nothing!

ConsPeople think they're big shot inside of this company. Working conditions are horrible with small cubicles and old computers that keep crashing and are covered in food crumbs from 10 years ago. Disgusting! Hours are way too long...usually 7 to 7, but a 7am to 9pm and occasional weekends happen too often. It could be a lot better if people could work more efficiently with decent programs and computers and less dramatic self-centered meeting with the little manager. They say the salaries are a bit higher than other retailers but when you count the hours you realize that employees are extremely underpaid. Vacation time sucks as half of it is pre-determined by the company on when you can take it and benefits are not a big deal either. They promise an annual bonus that simply never happens as the goals are impossible to reach, and they know it!

My manager followed what he proudly called a "Fear Style Management" that consisted in constantly terrorizing people about getting fired. No one respected him or admired him, but everybody was afraid of loosing their jobs, so he would take advantage of the situation and offend and humiliate people. He would make his employees do funny things around the office like carry a pile of heavy files for weeks because they once forgot to bring a report to a meeting. He would also take pictures and film people during the meetings and presentation in a very abusive and invasive way, and would also bring up things about your personal life during a review or one to one meeting suggesting that because of this or that you're not performing well. Very freaky!!! Stay away from this company if you like to be respected as a person and as an employee, and if would like to have a good work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI won't waist my time giving any advises. Just wanted to warn people that are looking to get a job at this horrible place... STAY AWAY!!!!

Upward mobility is determined by brown nosing

Store Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at bebe stores full-time

Pros50% off
affordable clothing
enjoyed the staff

Consthis company is does not offer incentives for their employees nor do they care
upward mobility is guaranteed by how much butt you kiss
long hours. no work/life balance. someone will always call you on your day off
the product as well as upper level management is getting progressively worst

Great clothes, favoritism affects business

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at bebe stores full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat discount, great people, great benefits, great pay

Constoo much favoritism from upper management

Not a technical role for the Tech-Savvy, steer away for other opportunities

Technical Support Analyst/SOS Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at bebe stores

Pros• Employees from other departments are very friendly and sociable
• HQ location is very pleasant for car users and commuters

Cons• near zero technical, more warehouse work at the warehouse section of their HQ
• expect 70 lbs of computer equipment to carry for incoming returned equipment 50% of workday
• current tech team lacks community - cannot see the spirit, nor the enthusiasm; lack of communication
• tech department is not fast-paced, cannot identify opportunity for growth
• current tech inventory management is very disorderly, incoming tsa would have to better their system
• tech support analyst would have to juggle both warehouse work, phone support, shipping, tech onsite management, inventory, etc. at the same time
• compensation does not equate enough for the ideal role on detail vs the actual role

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to identify what they lack for their tech department, they need desktop support and tech support at the same time, role does not meet the requirements of a tech support analyst in comparison to fast-paced tech industries in SF and Silicon Valley.

ok

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores

Prosgood discounts and fun people

ConsThe hours are too long

Worked for bebe stores? Contribute to the Community!

bebe stores Videos

bebe stores – Why Work for Us?

ABOUT bebe bebe is a global lifestyle brand that believes feeling sexy and looking great instills confidence. Our expert designs and personal service help our clients achieve this confidence across all aspects of their… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at bebe stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for bebe stores CEO Steve Birkhold. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by bebe stores employees.