bebe stores

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.2

Jim Wiggett

Pros
  • GREAT discount, if you spend most of your money on clothes anyway the discount is definitely worth it (in 23 reviews)

• Right off the bat, the 50% discount is one of the best in the whole mall (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They pay a management position minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

• long hours, constantly changing store set up (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My nearly eight years at bebe have been dynamic and empowering.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's the people that make bebe such a rewarding place to work. The fashion industry is fast paced and demanding and without the camaraderie of the people at bebe the work experience would not be the same. The compensation is competitive. bebe rewards good performance. I love that bebe is not too big of a company so that the senior executives know more junior memebers of the team. The benefits offered are the best that I have experienced. bebe does care.

Cons

The fashion industry is faced paced and bebe is even faster. If you are not used to working on short multiple deadlines then bebe may not be for you; however if you are up to the challenge the opportunities to grow in your field exist.

Continue to invest in your people and offer more of the training that you have started to offer.

May 16, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! Our size not only allows for being nimble but as you wrote, even the CEO knows our Associates by name and we frequently have discussions ... More

Terrible.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. They pretend to care but they do not.

Cons

Corporate is a joke, falling apart, product is not what is was, UNDERPAID and over worked employees.

Lack of direction from upper management. Spent two years with this company and was SO HAPPY to leave.

Constant Management Changes

Current Employee - Associate Merchant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Merchant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work hours, good location.

Cons

Horrible upper management, bad benefit package, unclear of company future.

Create an enjoyable work environment and this starts from the top, making sure the senior management you hire is inspiring and compassionate goes a long way.

Uncertain future, but great culture

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Truly very nice people and senior management. Admittedly, I can only speak for my department, as I've heard other departments can be more political. But from what I've personally seen, everyone has the best of intentions, is very friendly, and more focused on doing a good job at their work than any interpersonal politics.
    - Work/Life balance is excellent. (I know this will vary depending on who you talk to though. Yet, this has been my experience at almost every company I've worked for. Some pull way more than their fair share of the weight and work crazy hours, but those folks kind of do it to themselves by not delegating, not prioritizing, or not raising flags to management effectively.)
    - Still has a big enough name recognition that moving to other retail companies is doable.
    - Pay is competitive, particularly more senior roles. Entry-level pay isn't amazing, but seems in line with industry standard.
    - Relatively flexible hours. As long as you get your work done, there's no insane amount of pressure to clock in and out at 9am and 6pm on the dot. If you can work efficiently and be sure your team is covered, that's what's important.
    - Dress code is also quite flexible. Of course it's a fashion/retail company, so people try to look their best and be well groomed, but you aren't required to wear bebe product if it's not your style, and no one expects people to wear 4" heels.
    - (Some may find this one a Con, but I see it as a Pro) Very entrepreneurial atmosphere with a "roll up your sleeves" and "wear many hats" mentality. Fast paced and hands-on. Very flat organizational culture. If you choose to, you can really learn a lot and perform activities you wouldn't get to for years at other retail companies.

Cons

- The office location isn't ideal to walk anywhere for lunch (except Ralph's across the street, which can actually be a bit depressing since it's the only thing). Most bring or order delivery. (But there is a very nice outdoor seating area/patio.)
    - Many hardware/software/security protocols are cumbersome and ridiculous. Only 1 truly helpful service-oriented IT person in my experience. (Although, more senior people in IT are quite good - but they focus on business systems, not day-to-day service.)
    - Some who have been at the company for many, many years are a bit antiquated in their practices (and are happy to remain comfortably stagnate). Tons of reports and spreadsheets running around without any sense of true purpose.
    - Departments need to coordinate more and really come together to help the business. Most are focused on their own individual or department numbers rather than how they could work with other departments to really innovate systems and improve the brand, products, and bottom line.
    - Honestly, the biggest con to the company isn't actually in HR's control. It's the general performance of the business as a whole. bebe isn't doing too well, as evidenced by the CEO's recent departure and slipping sales. There was a huge infusion of optimism when he first came in January 2013, and he hired some really terrific people that made the work environment and camaraderie much better than it ever had been in the past. Unfortunately, in the past few months (and especially in the past few weeks since he stepped down), it's hard to remain optimistic that the business is going to bounce back substantially. For this reason, job security doesn't really feel like it's there as it used to.

- Make your departments look at the bigger picture and work collaboratively with other departments to help increase the business. Reiterate that it's not just your job on the line, it's everyone's. One category's or department's slightly increased performance is not going to equate to true success of the brand.
    - Scrutinize those who have been there for a long time and weed out processes that serve no purpose or are just plain wrong/inappropriate for the current state of affairs. Sometimes, it's not about tenure, it's about innovation - particularly when a business isn't performing that well.

Glamorous Security Guard

Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first fashion retail job. The managers at my store were awesome. I learned a lot about customer service and sales. The culture of the company is exciting. The dress code expectation is high. My store was not very high volume, but I did make good commission during holiday. I would probably go back during holiday.

Cons

My main problem with my position is that I was mostly just a security guard. I understand the importance of loss prevention, however it really was the focus of the position. I think it's time to hire security guards, and let sales do their job. It is very difficult to watch the front of the store and be attentive to clientele. It was often just myself and a manager on the floor. The manager would usually have to be at the cash wrap.
    During Holiday I was "promoted" to a floor supervisor position. I was not given a raise, and I was missing out on sales. I was given more responsibility with no compensation.

The way in which stylist contact their clients through telephone is very outdated. Stylist should have a way to email or text clients too. Many people do not want to talk on the phone or listen to voicemail.
    From my point of view, the conversion tracker is a terrible way to measure team performance. I worked at an outdoor, family mall. Many children and husbands may come in and out of the store multiple times during one woman's time in the store. I could see this stressed my managers out a lot.
    The quality of the clothing is not great. This resulted in many returns.
    The fact that online returns count against the store is very unfortunate and stressful for managers.

Forward thinking business plans,progressive benefit & engagement strategies in place should pull bebe out of stagnation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Terrific work-life balance for a fashion company, civility reigns, very low drama. It is nice to work with so many truly talented people.

Cons

Like every company in the fashion business, the pace can be overwhelming for some people. It is important that everyone gets the training they need to start off on the right foot.

More technical training will help everyone.

May 20, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at bebe! Talent Development initiatives have been at the top of our list all year and look for a launch of bebe University this fall ... More

Love this palce

Current Employee - Design in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-EXTREMELY organized
    -Room for growth
    -Great Pay
    -Nice management
    -Everyone's opinion matters / Everyone has a voice

Cons

-Expensive health care
    -Location (No where to eat without driving & Terrible commute from the east side)
    -Parking, The lot fills up at 8:45 and then its street parking and you have to move your car every 2 hours
    -Heavy workloads and a lot of revolving temps to help

Hire more full time people and less temps.

May 13, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thanks so much for the review. I'm thrilled that our culture of transparency and talent mobility initiatives have touched you and your team! While our parking situation isn't optimal at our design ... More

Former employee Corporate office Los Angeles

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ralf store accross the street making lunch easy
    -50% discount in stores (still not the highest discount in the business)

Cons

-too manny different bosses hired. They cannot make up their mind whom they want to work with!
    -constantly changing directions
    -product becoming poor
    -mandatory PTO making hard planning familly vacations
    -terrible work environment with open space office. Cannot isolate yourself. Most people work with IPod
    -no private offices or enough meeting rooms, most employee review happen in kitchen!
    -poor HR choices while hiring staff mostly not appropriate with needs
    -high turnover and lay off, if you pass Friday 4pm means you can come back to work Monday

Take one direction and keep it for consistent!

A fun place to work in the fashion industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, fun atmosphere, strong work ethic

Cons

Mostly women employees, plain office space,

horrible company

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with. They are the reason why I stayed for 4 yrs. It was fun to be able to get dressed up to go to work. You alway had a great wardrobe.

Cons

In order to work with Bebe you had to be pretty!!! They like the best looking people for their high profile stores. They always want you to be wearing the latest trend(meaning you alway had to buy there clothes) Yes, we got our 40% off but that adds up. I worked at a high profile store, Manny(CEO) would come in every weekend and was "shopping" at the mall. I would spend hundreds of dollars on clothes each month, just to be in trend. They are on commission and that was hard for some of the girls. I was in management and I was salary but the girls/guys where on commission. They had to hustle to make a good paycheck. Some of them made more money then me!!! A lot has change since I left the company. They got sued for wages for managers and they don't require you to buy/wear their clothes(they still do, but they have word it differently). I feel like you where on a pageant when working with them.