bebe stores Reviews

Reset
2.9
bebe stores Chief Executive Officer Jim Wiggett
Jim Wiggett

Pros
  • GREAT discount, if you spend most of your money on clothes anyway the discount is definitely worth it (in 23 reviews)

• 50% discount on all merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are paid a nice hourly wage while stylists are basically paid minimum wage plus (DPH) dollar per hour commission rate (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours to stand in heels, and lots of clothes in the fitting rooms (in 10 reviews)

1. Bebe corporate

Current Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores

Pros

Fun work enviroment, good pay,

Cons

Management constantly changing, long working hours

The party is over for bebe

I worked at bebe stores

Pros

Half off clothing purchases , free coffee in the break room, air conditioned workspace

Cons

The company is falling apart from the inside out. Employees secretly know the end is coming and Bebe will end up like wet seal, you can smell the tension in the air. There is a number of systemic problems within the walls of the corporate offices that, no matter how talented the CEO is, will ultimatly lead to Bebe into the dark abyss. As other reviewers have mentioned, the environment is very hostile. HR dept is hands down the worst I have ever experienced. Lots of favoritism creates anxiety among the staff. Turnover is worse than any other time in the companies history. There is no innovative design, only designer knock offs with the build quality worse than that of competitors who sell garments at a tenth of the price. Anyone who has equity or stock options are out of luck as every single option that has been ever awarded is now under water. Bebe is in quicksand, the harder it tries to dig itself out, the deeper it sinks. At the current rate if things don't in fact get worse, you can expect bankruptcy within 1-2 years. There's just not enough cash left to continue running the day today operations beyond that .

Unprofessional executives who don't work fridays...ever.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bebe is a great company and brand in many ways. The hours, benefits and people are amazing. The new CEO is the best thing to happen to bebe in a long time. When you are lucky enough to have a supportive boss it's a great place to be.

Cons

There is a very clear clique in leadership amongst design and production. If you are a whistle blower you might as well find another job. It's surprising if the CEO hasn't already figured that out. Most employees only hope is his transparency and goal to make the company better every day. I hear it everyday. Process is almost non existent and everyone operates at the extreme last minute due to unorganized and lack luster leadership. When I questioned it to my supervisor I was told thats the "bebe way". Even they seemed brainwashed by it. Everyone is beyond scared to tell it like it is. New ideas fall deaf on ears and it's hard to get anything done on time when VPs only come in the office 4 days a week...if that. I've never seen anything like it in my career. Its difficult to work for someone who is cold and thinks they are above working with the team. Maybe if there was more passion and intelligence in leadership the business would show that. If you happen to be on a smaller team with a better business you have the worst seat in the house. Immediate target. It's a truly sadly ran operation and there is no reason for it to be that way. It's simple really. If you are direct and honest this isn't the place for you. This clique runs on cattiness, drama and securing that big paycheck. I hope the CEO makes big waves and and brings in leaders who lead.

Advice to Management

Look a little closer. It's all right there staring at you. No one has trust. See above.

Production dept is worst in company

Former Employee - Production Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off/benefits good. Good experience and resume builder.

Cons

High turnover in assistants, inadequate training, huge workload, "managers" do not manage or delegate work well

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for, invest in your employees.

Feb 25, 2015 – SVP Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate the feedback.

6. Good working environment, just low pay.

I worked at bebe stores

Pros

The people are great and you learn a lot.

Cons

Compensation is low for the amount of work given.

Jan 29, 2015 – SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review! Best way to earn more is through promotion. In our key departments the internal promotion rate is better than 50%!

7. Terrible.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. They pretend to care but they do not.

Cons

Corporate is a joke, falling apart, product is not what is was, UNDERPAID and over worked employees.

Advice to Management

Lack of direction from upper management. Spent two years with this company and was SO HAPPY to leave.

Constant Management Changes

Current Employee - Associate Merchant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Merchant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work hours, good location.

Cons

Horrible upper management, bad benefit package, unclear of company future.

Advice to Management

Create an enjoyable work environment and this starts from the top, making sure the senior management you hire is inspiring and compassionate goes a long way.

Uncertain future, but great culture

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Truly very nice people and senior management. Admittedly, I can only speak for my department, as I've heard other departments can be more political. But from what I've personally seen, everyone has the best of intentions, is very friendly, and more focused on doing a good job at their work than any interpersonal politics. - Work/Life balance is excellent. (I know this will vary depending on who you talk to though. Yet, this has been my experience at almost every company I've worked for. Some pull way more than their fair share of the weight and work crazy hours, but those folks kind of do it to themselves by not delegating, not prioritizing, or not raising flags to management effectively.) - Still has a big enough name recognition that moving to other retail companies is doable. - Pay is competitive, particularly more senior roles. Entry-level pay isn't amazing, but seems in line with industry standard. - Relatively flexible hours. As long as you get your work done, there's no insane amount of pressure to clock in and out at 9am and 6pm on the dot. If you can work efficiently and be sure your team is covered, that's what's important. - Dress code is also quite flexible. Of course it's a fashion/retail company, so people try to look their best and be well groomed, but you aren't required to wear bebe product if it's not your style, and no one expects people to wear 4" heels. - (Some may find this one a Con, but I see it as a Pro) Very entrepreneurial atmosphere with a "roll up your sleeves" and "wear many hats" mentality. Fast paced and hands-on. Very flat organizational culture. If you choose to, you can really learn a lot and perform activities you wouldn't get to for years at other retail companies.

Cons

- The office location isn't ideal to walk anywhere for lunch (except Ralph's across the street, which can actually be a bit depressing since it's the only thing). Most bring or order delivery. (But there is a very nice outdoor seating area/patio.) - Many hardware/software/security protocols are cumbersome and ridiculous. Only 1 truly helpful service-oriented IT person in my experience. (Although, more senior people in IT are quite good - but they focus on business systems, not day-to-day service.) - Some who have been at the company for many, many years are a bit antiquated in their practices (and are happy to remain comfortably stagnate). Tons of reports and spreadsheets running around without any sense of true purpose. - Departments need to coordinate more and really come together to help the business. Most are focused on their own individual or department numbers rather than how they could work with other departments to really innovate systems and improve the brand, products, and bottom line. - Honestly, the biggest con to the company isn't actually in HR's control. It's the general performance of the business as a whole. bebe isn't doing too well, as evidenced by the CEO's recent departure and slipping sales. There was a huge infusion of optimism when he first came in January 2013, and he hired some really terrific people that made the work environment and camaraderie much better than it ever had been in the past. Unfortunately, in the past few months (and especially in the past few weeks since he stepped down), it's hard to remain optimistic that the business is going to bounce back substantially. For this reason, job security doesn't really feel like it's there as it used to.

Advice to Management

- Make your departments look at the bigger picture and work collaboratively with other departments to help increase the business. Reiterate that it's not just your job on the line, it's everyone's. One category's or department's slightly increased performance is not going to equate to true success of the brand. - Scrutinize those who have been there for a long time and weed out processes that serve no purpose or are just plain wrong/inappropriate for the current state of affairs. Sometimes, it's not about tenure, it's about innovation - particularly when a business isn't performing that well.

Glamorous Security Guard

Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first fashion retail job. The managers at my store were awesome. I learned a lot about customer service and sales. The culture of the company is exciting. The dress code expectation is high. My store was not very high volume, but I did make good commission during holiday. I would probably go back during holiday.

Cons

My main problem with my position is that I was mostly just a security guard. I understand the importance of loss prevention, however it really was the focus of the position. I think it's time to hire security guards, and let sales do their job. It is very difficult to watch the front of the store and be attentive to clientele. It was often just myself and a manager on the floor. The manager would usually have to be at the cash wrap. During Holiday I was "promoted" to a floor supervisor position. I was not given a raise, and I was missing out on sales. I was given more responsibility with no compensation.

Advice to Management

The way in which stylist contact their clients through telephone is very outdated. Stylist should have a way to email or text clients too. Many people do not want to talk on the phone or listen to voicemail. From my point of view, the conversion tracker is a terrible way to measure team performance. I worked at an outdoor, family mall. Many children and husbands may come in and out of the store multiple times during one woman's time in the store. I could see this stressed my managers out a lot. The quality of the clothing is not great. This resulted in many returns. The fact that online returns count against the store is very unfortunate and stressful for managers.

My nearly eight years at bebe have been dynamic and empowering.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's the people that make bebe such a rewarding place to work. The fashion industry is fast paced and demanding and without the camaraderie of the people at bebe the work experience would not be the same. The compensation is competitive. bebe rewards good performance. I love that bebe is not too big of a company so that the senior executives know more junior memebers of the team. The benefits offered are the best that I have experienced. bebe does care.

Cons

The fashion industry is faced paced and bebe is even faster. If you are not used to working on short multiple deadlines then bebe may not be for you; however if you are up to the challenge the opportunities to grow in your field exist.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and offer more of the training that you have started to offer.

May 16, 2014 – SVP Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! Our size not only allows for being nimble but as you wrote, even the CEO knows our Associates by name and we frequently have discussions ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed