bebe stores

Updated February 27, 2015
3.2

bebe stores Chief Executive Officer Jim Wiggett
Jim Wiggett

Pros
  • GREAT discount, if you spend most of your money on clothes anyway the discount is definitely worth it (in 23 reviews)

• Right off the bat, the 50% discount is one of the best in the whole mall (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They pay a management position minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

• long hours, constantly changing store set up (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Amazing Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

bebe offers an opportunity for diverse and progressive experience in a talented entrepreneurial environment with competitive compensation and outstanding benefits package; opportunity for career growth; development opportunities to acquire a breadth experience; a strong and accomplished leadership team; ability to be effective in my job and directly impact business; and a collegial and respectful work environment.

Cons

It's been a year of transition but confident we have reached an inflection point.

Keep fostering and nurturing our Culture of transparency, recognition and leadership, and continue to live our Values

Dec 23, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review!

Love it.

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team. Quality of Life. Diversity. Great Training Tools. Room for Growth. Great Discount!

Cons

Making sales goals and bonusing is challenging due to online competition and returns.

Work more on properly compensating great talent. Better bonus plan. More hours needed for training and store meetings.

Feb 25, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review! We're in the process of looking at hours budget for increased training with the pending launch of an updated program.

Good when it's good, horrible when it's bad

Former Employee - Stylist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at bebe stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The commission was great, although highly taxed. Great clothes and discount. Meet some great and interesting people.

Cons

Slow season is horrible. Low base pay. Managers sell even though they don't make commission. Make you task while they help your clients and take your sales. High turn over. Sometimes people can be catty over sales. Very stressful if you want to make good money.

Support your stylists rather than take their sales.

No growth for top talent

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at bebe stores

Pros

I grew so much over the 6 years that I worked for bebe. Being a Store Manager was an incredible challenge that I welcomed fully. I enjoyed being the leader of such an incredible group of people that I was able to coach and develop. Through hard work and dedication to doing exceptional work I was able to be a leader in my district and company being recognized for high level achievements.

Cons

I could no longer work for a company that layed off such a large part of its work force at the end of the 2014 fiscal year. People were treated with no dignity or respect. Severance packages were not offered to any of the 2b employees who were layer off. Those same employees were informed with hardly any notice that they would not have a job beyond June of 2014. While I understand that closing stores that are not profitable is essential to the overall health of the company I was appalled at how little notice was given.

The company is losing its footing in the bigger picture that is retail. With competition being tough it made for tough sales. Store closures, layoffs and a changing retail environment all add up to a very dysfunctional company. During my 6 years working for bebe I had 4 CEO's. That's terrible. Also, very low caliber individuals were promoted to positions such as District Manager.

Favoritism, gossip and racism were apart of the district that I was in. Many of the Store Mangaers in my district were considered favorites of the DM. These same Store Managers were among the most unproductive and mean spirited individuals that I had ever met. Rather than being admonished for their behavior...it was allowed. One Store Manager in particular was known for racial profiling, received consistent complaints from clients for being racist and also made racist jokes towards her African American Co-Manager. The District Manager knew of her "mean girl" style of management and the racist comments but never corrected the behavior.

Another example of racism took place after an executive visit. After the visit I was told by my District Manager that going forward I was not to schedule African Americans for executive visits involving the Director of Stores or CEO's. I was told who I could schedule, a Caucasian Assitant Manager.

Overall, I valued my time with bebe. Unfortunately, the company is not in a place where it will be able to sustain positive growth for its top talent. Many stores have closed in the past year. Training programs are being put on hold. And, racism? So unfortunate.

How can you sustain good results and satisfy shareholders when you don't appreciate diversity? How will you retain top talent while suspending training programs to create the future DM's to lead the company? How can you retain, coach and develop top talent when there is so much gossip and negativity allowed in a district?

The answer is obvious, you can't.

Focus on making evidence based decisions. Ensure that people understand that there is zero tolerance for racial discrimination at work. Admonish those that are negative and gossip at work.

Feb 25, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I'm sorry that after five years you chose to leave us -- I wish you have enlisted the help of your Regional HR Manager for support in ... More

Production dept is worst in company

Former Employee - Production Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off/benefits good. Good experience and resume builder.

Cons

High turnover in assistants, inadequate training, huge workload, "managers" do not manage or delegate work well

You get what you pay for, invest in your employees.

Feb 25, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate the feedback.

WORST Job Ever: Excellent pay ONLY if excel in sales & included manual labor not advertised upon entry

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at bebe stores

Pros

competitive environment that encourages top sales performance at all times; trendy merchandise that can be easily marketed

Cons

included cleaning of bathrooms and floors; working in store full of girls being paid by commissioned to several stolen clients and dishonest cashier tactics; lack of attention from management; unofficially required to wear the expensive merchandise that was not made well and consumed a majority of profits

to be more involved in transactions to avoid associate's claiming sales that were not their own or stealing customers from other associates - essentially, the managers were not interested unless it involved their own sales

Fun job to have

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Customers base is great. Many were tourists as I worked in a very busy mall. Also the employee discount is ok.

Cons

Management team doesn't communicate with each other. I transferred to another store and there seemed to be tht same issue. Noticed that it was normal as the regional and dm were the same

Less "what I did last night" gossip and more "our sales plan for the day is..." talk to start with

Feb 25, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review and feedback. Like your advice and couldn't agree more -- that's what the chat-in and chat-outs are for -- business strategy and achieving our goals!

it was a pleasure to work here for two years

Former Employee - Personal Stylist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Personal Stylist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at bebe stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the commission was really good and it gave you room to grow
    you start at 5% and can go as high as 10%
    loved working in vegas

Cons

if you arent in a high volume store you dont make as much

my management was very nice and considerate when it came to any personal time i needed off.

Jan 29, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review!

Good working environment, just low pay.

I worked at bebe stores

Pros

The people are great and you learn a lot.

Cons

Compensation is low for the amount of work given.

Jan 29, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review! Best way to earn more is through promotion. In our key departments the internal promotion rate is better than 50%!

Made you work long hours

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at bebe stores

Pros

Discount on clothing was a plus

Cons

Dealing with difficult coworkers that try to steal commission

Hire more experienced managers