bebe stores

bebe stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

bebe stores CEO Steve Birkhold

Steve Birkhold

Pros:
  • "Great discount, fun laid back environment, Coaching and developing structure"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Selling fashion forward apparel is fun & Bebe is a good place to be on top of the lastest trends with a 50% employee discount"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Managers are paid a nice hourly wage while stylists are basically paid minimum wage plus (DPH) dollar per hour commission rate"
    in 8 reviews
  • "long hours, constantly changing store set up"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

HIgh energy, high level of service, amazing work environment!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBebe offers excellent training on fashion styling and providing top of the line service to each customer. The things you learn from this company will benefit you in every sales job you may have in the future.

ConsManagement can be very overwhelming at times. In high traffic stores you must tend to each customers while also completing your management duties. There is never enough time in the day to get everything done. So unless you like that non stop busy work environment, then this job could be too stressful for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes they are so concentrated on driving business and sales that they forget their concern for their employees. Sometimes we need to be more aware and compassionate to the employees needs and concerns as well. This will reduce turnover and keep that good impression of the company.

under-paid employees & good discount

Stylist (Former Employee)
    Natick, MA

Prosgreat discount, friendly staff, flexible, company values.

ConsLow pay, strict dress code, poor commission system

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your stylist in check

Great experience for someone new to the work world.

Prosdiscount, discount, discount, discount, discount

Conscut throat, will walk all over you if you let them

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating sales associates as "stupid"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs employee upgrade

Stylist (Former Employee)
    Cerritos, CA

ProsGreat design/merchandise, awesome employee discount, build close relationships with clients, work-life balance

Consno hours for part timers-you are lucky to get over 10 hrs a week. minimum wage non negotiable at interview for sales associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementManager was really friendly, seems like the company needs to upgrade their employee training

Needs better Senior Management

Senior Systems Manager (Current Employee)
    Brisbane, CA

ProsStays ahead of the technology, fast paced.

ConsGood place and pay but the company is struggling with Senior Management. Just a handful of Execs run the show. Mandatory PTO of 10 days and not enough benefits.

Part-time work that builds character

Sales Stylist (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsMy supervisor ended up becoming one of my best friends. We're still friends, 7 years later. At the time, the clothing was that of a higher quality and felt and looked amazing on. I took pride in styling, there.

ConsYou have to work on holidays, and hardly make money. Most of your check goes towards the clothing there that they highly encourage you to buy. No room for growth.

Uncertain future, but great culture

Director (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Truly very nice people and senior management. Admittedly, I can only speak for my department, as I've heard other departments can be more political. But from what I've personally seen, everyone has the best of intentions, is very friendly, and more focused on doing a good job at their work than any interpersonal politics.
    - Work/Life balance is excellent. (I know this will vary depending on who you talk to though. Yet, this has been my experience at almost every company I've worked for. Some pull way more than their fair share of the weight and work crazy hours, but those folks kind of do it to themselves by not delegating, not prioritizing, or not raising flags to management effectively.)
    - Still has a big enough name recognition that moving to other retail companies is doable.
    - Pay is competitive, particularly more senior roles. Entry-level pay isn't amazing, but seems in line with industry standard.
    - Relatively flexible hours. As long as you get your work done, there's no insane amount of pressure to clock in and out at 9am and 6pm on the dot. If you can work efficiently and be sure your team is covered, that's what's important.
    - Dress code is also quite flexible. Of course it's a fashion/retail company, so people try to look their best and be well groomed, but you aren't required to wear bebe product if it's not your style, and no one expects people to wear 4" heels.
    - (Some may find this one a Con, but I see it as a Pro) Very entrepreneurial atmosphere with a "roll up your sleeves" and "wear many hats" mentality. Fast paced and hands-on. Very flat organizational culture. If you choose to, you can really learn a lot and perform activities you wouldn't get to for years at other retail companies.

Cons- The office location isn't ideal to walk anywhere for lunch (except Ralph's across the street, which can actually be a bit depressing since it's the only thing). Most bring or order delivery. (But there is a very nice outdoor seating area/patio.)
    - Many hardware/software/security protocols are cumbersome and ridiculous. Only 1 truly helpful service-oriented IT person in my experience. (Although, more senior people in IT are quite good - but they focus on business systems, not day-to-day service.)
    - Some who have been at the company for many, many years are a bit antiquated in their practices (and are happy to remain comfortably stagnate). Tons of reports and spreadsheets running around without any sense of true purpose.
    - Departments need to coordinate more and really come together to help the business. Most are focused on their own individual or department numbers rather than how they could work with other departments to really innovate systems and improve the brand, products, and bottom line.
    - Honestly, the biggest con to the company isn't actually in HR's control. It's the general performance of the business as a whole. bebe isn't doing too well, as evidenced by the CEO's recent departure and slipping sales. There was a huge infusion of optimism when he first came in January 2013, and he hired some really terrific people that made the work environment and camaraderie much better than it ever had been in the past. Unfortunately, in the past few months (and especially in the past few weeks since he stepped down), it's hard to remain optimistic that the business is going to bounce back substantially. For this reason, job security doesn't really feel like it's there as it used to.

Advice to Senior Management- Make your departments look at the bigger picture and work collaboratively with other departments to help increase the business. Reiterate that it's not just your job on the line, it's everyone's. One category's or department's slightly increased performance is not going to equate to true success of the brand.
    - Scrutinize those who have been there for a long time and weed out processes that serve no purpose or are just plain wrong/inappropriate for the current state of affairs. Sometimes, it's not about tenure, it's about innovation - particularly when a business isn't performing that well.

My nearly eight years at bebe have been dynamic and empowering.

Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt's the people that make bebe such a rewarding place to work. The fashion industry is fast paced and demanding and without the camaraderie of the people at bebe the work experience would not be the same. The compensation is competitive. bebe rewards good performance. I love that bebe is not too big of a company so that the senior executives know more junior memebers of the team. The benefits offered are the best that I have experienced. bebe does care.

ConsThe fashion industry is faced paced and bebe is even faster. If you are not used to working on short multiple deadlines then bebe may not be for you; however if you are up to the challenge the opportunities to grow in your field exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your people and offer more of the training that you have started to offer.

Flag Review
    bebe stores SVP Human Resources responded to this review May 16, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! Our size not only allows for being nimble but as you wrote, even the CEO knows our Associates by name and we frequently have discussions ... More

Thumbs up for bebe!

Brisbane, CA

ProsGreat group of people who each have a wealth of knowledge in their respective fields and who are down to earth and easy to talk to. Love the open communication I have with my team and supervising manager. Employee benefits are a plus not to mention the discount we receive on bebe clothes!

ConsLocation but I can't complain!

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam building activities a possibility?

Flag Review
    Thank you for writing your review! I'm glad your manager is open and transparent and you benefit from our industry leading medical, dental and vision coverage! Team building sounds like a great ... More

Fabulous Brand

ProsCompany culture is collaborative, fast paced and high energy. Bebe values input from all levels within the organization and works toward creating a positive and transparent working environment for all. Everything bebe does is rooted in passion - for the product, client and employee. I feel that the company is committed to training and development so they are able to recognize and reward consistent top performing employees for advancement and opportunities. Leadership is very supportive and the executive team is top in the industry.

ConsThe company is results driven which creates pressure to produce results - however tools are provided to help you achieve those results.

Hours are irregular - but that goes without saying in a retail environment

Flag Review
    bebe stores SVP Human Resources responded to this review May 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the review! I am very happy you value our culture of transparency and commitment to human capability development -- we are launching bebe U this fall, so be on the lookout for more ... More

Worked for bebe stores? Contribute to the Community!

bebe stores Videos

bebe stores – Why Work for Us?

bebe is a global lifestyle brand that believes feeling sexy and looking great instills confidence. Our expert designs and personal service help our clients achieve this confidence across all aspects of their lives… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at bebe stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for bebe stores CEO Steve Birkhold. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by bebe stores employees.