bebe stores

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
3.2

Jim Wiggett

Pros
  • GREAT discount, if you spend most of your money on clothes anyway the discount is definitely worth it (in 21 reviews)

• Employee discount is probably the most beneficial part of working here (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • They pay a management position minimum wage (in 10 reviews)

• long hours, constantly changing store set up (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

My nearly eight years at bebe have been dynamic and empowering.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's the people that make bebe such a rewarding place to work. The fashion industry is fast paced and demanding and without the camaraderie of the people at bebe the work experience would not be the same. The compensation is competitive. bebe rewards good performance. I love that bebe is not too big of a company so that the senior executives know more junior memebers of the team. The benefits offered are the best that I have experienced. bebe does care.

Cons

The fashion industry is faced paced and bebe is even faster. If you are not used to working on short multiple deadlines then bebe may not be for you; however if you are up to the challenge the opportunities to grow in your field exist.

Continue to invest in your people and offer more of the training that you have started to offer.

May 16, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! Our size not only allows for being nimble but as you wrote, even the CEO knows our Associates by name and we frequently have discussions ... More

Thumbs up for bebe!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time

Pros

Great group of people who each have a wealth of knowledge in their respective fields and who are down to earth and easy to talk to. Love the open communication I have with my team and supervising manager. Employee benefits are a plus not to mention the discount we receive on bebe clothes!

Cons

Location but I can't complain!

Team building activities a possibility?

May 16, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you for writing your review! I'm glad your manager is open and transparent and you benefit from our industry leading medical, dental and vision coverage! Team building sounds like a great ... More

Fabulous Brand

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company culture is collaborative, fast paced and high energy. Bebe values input from all levels within the organization and works toward creating a positive and transparent working environment for all. Everything bebe does is rooted in passion - for the product, client and employee. I feel that the company is committed to training and development so they are able to recognize and reward consistent top performing employees for advancement and opportunities. Leadership is very supportive and the executive team is top in the industry.

Cons

The company is results driven which creates pressure to produce results - however tools are provided to help you achieve those results.

Hours are irregular - but that goes without saying in a retail environment

May 20, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review! I am very happy you value our culture of transparency and commitment to human capability development -- we are launching bebe U this fall, so be on the lookout for more ... More

Forward thinking business plans,progressive benefit & engagement strategies in place should pull bebe out of stagnation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Terrific work-life balance for a fashion company, civility reigns, very low drama. It is nice to work with so many truly talented people.

Cons

Like every company in the fashion business, the pace can be overwhelming for some people. It is important that everyone gets the training they need to start off on the right foot.

More technical training will help everyone.

May 20, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at bebe! Talent Development initiatives have been at the top of our list all year and look for a launch of bebe University this fall ... More

sales manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% discount
    flexible hours
    fashion
    continuous training

Cons

rude customers but that's all retail

stick to rules and policies for all customers

Great professional opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the corporate headquarters, there is visibility to a wide variety of levels and departments within the organization: This is a fantastic environment for those who like to be seen and to collaborate on a broad spectrum of projects across disciplines. Also great for those who are self-directed.

Cons

This isn't a con per se, but everyone at bebe needs to hit the ground running and determine for themselves how they can make an impact. There isn't the luxury of being spoon fed all of the answers for how things should be done. The pace is fast and dynamic - maybe not a great place for clock watchers.

Everyone is insanely busy, but take the time to encourage developmental opportunities within your organization.

Love this palce

Current Employee - Design in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-EXTREMELY organized
    -Room for growth
    -Great Pay
    -Nice management
    -Everyone's opinion matters / Everyone has a voice

Cons

-Expensive health care
    -Location (No where to eat without driving & Terrible commute from the east side)
    -Parking, The lot fills up at 8:45 and then its street parking and you have to move your car every 2 hours
    -Heavy workloads and a lot of revolving temps to help

Hire more full time people and less temps.

May 13, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thanks so much for the review. I'm thrilled that our culture of transparency and talent mobility initiatives have touched you and your team! While our parking situation isn't optimal at our design ... More

Great experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount, fun laid back environment, Coaching and developing structure. Great exposure to business acumen.

Cons

Not much room for advancement, not enough direct communication with district manager. Company is very confused on direction of image.

Thorough communication with management team.

May 13, 2014SVP Human Resources

I am glad our training and development programs impacted you during your time with us. We are committed to the development and talent mobility of our Associates and while more than half of our ... More

Long hours, high turnover, dose not seem like anyone knows what's going on

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at bebe stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, bonuses, and rewards for top performers. Met a lot of really interesting people, the brand attracts a wide variety of clients. Visually you can be creative within your store. Fun atmosphere club like music always playing.

Cons

There are major disconnects between corporate and stores. The amount of hours they fund stores is ridiculously low especially considering you do pretty much a full floor set once a week and randomly have to go through and change it several days later when they see certain product may not be selling. The problem is not how it's displayed it is the product itself. Bebe design and quality hit an all time low the last year and many clients no longer shop there because it is cheap quality they can find anywhere. Furthermore upper management comes off very fake and talk constantly about culture when really there is no culture and they could care less about you or your work/life balance. Support managers are constantly quitting because they pay them poorly and don't even get me started on stylists wages, minimum wage ? Really? And you claim to care about your employees? Bottom line is the high turnover makes things very hectic, training is very inconsistent and poorly managed, get ready to have no life and work constantly.

Be less distant and quit defaulting to talking about the culture and values. Also more hours need to be funded to stores for them to run the way corporate expects them to especially with the visual work that needs done. More accountability for stores underperforming and not rewarding people who just because they go on and on about what they are going to do but produce very little actual results they just suck up to management so they are liked.

Chaotic. Prepare to put many hats on.

I worked at bebe stores full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are not too bad but not the best I've worked at.

Cons

You might think it's a big company since it's been around for a while, but when you actually work there, it feels like a start up. There are no structure or anything planned ahead of time. Managements are unprofessional. Everyone kept leaving because of new management. I understand that being in a fashion retail company is super fast pace, but with lack of preparation and planning ahead of time, there's no excuse. Upper mangement earns a lot but don't do enough.