bebe stores

www.bebe.com

bebe stores Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Jim Wiggett

Pros
  • Great discount, fun laid back environment, Coaching and developing structure (in 20 reviews)

• Great design/merchandise, awesome employee discount, build close relationships with clients, work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They pay a management position minimum wage (in 9 reviews)

• long hours, constantly changing store set up (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Top producer/stylist

ProsCommission based company, during the holiday you can make decent money, during the holiday they will provide meals during thanksgiving, and on event days will provide refreshers and small snacks to clients which makes them feel a little more welcome and gives us a more professional feel.

ConsIf you don't commission you make hourly (min wage), you have to keep up with clients, make appointments, high turnover rates

great commission

Sales Stylist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou start out at 5% commission but there is room to grow in the company if your in a good store location. You can go up to 10% depending on how much you sell during the quarter.
    And the discount is an added bonus.

Consthey don't have enough hours

average retail job unless you're in management

Co-Manager (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

Prosincentives, great pay, benefits and insurance are available if you're management level.

Consminimum wage, nothing else really

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fashionable fun!

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsMake commission, Friendly environment, great discount

ConsHoliday hours are really long, Commission isn't make unless you have appointments if there is no traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise sales and acknowledge salespeople.

bebe a great place to work

Designer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA great team that cares and strives to constantly improve

ConsSalaries are a bit less then other industry companies

Advice to Senior Managementmaking sure you do best you can to keep valuable employees to stay in the company

Inconsistent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat people to work worth, fun fashionable clothes

ConsUpper management is inconsistent and they have their favorites Managers. Don't practice what they preach.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou work your employees to death.... Payroll cuts make it impossible to run the floor to company expectation

Love the staff, hate the commission aspect.

Stylist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCommission makes the top sellers money, you get to be around awesome clothes, celebrities come in a lot, amazing 50% discount.

ConsThe competitiveness of some stylist is crazy, staying let regular retail stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't keep people so freaking late!

Unrealistic Expectations

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBonus program, generous discount, fast paced

ConsInsufficient and deficient training. Too much focus on "appointment business" Not enough support from regional management, inefficient payroll system, inconsistent directives (what was amazing one day, was horrendous the next)

Advice to Senior ManagementHave realistic expectations based on the economy and local markets and CONSISTENT directives.

Grass is greener on the otherside

Stylist (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsGreat Discount, Good for people interested in the fashion industry.

ConsScheduling is awful. You're on call five days a week and scheduled three. For days you're on call, you're required to call two hours before your possible shift. YOU have to call, they won't call you. Minimum wage salary, lots of work, shitty commission, and fake staff. Fashion obsessed environment. Expected to wear heels everyday, call "clients" every day, make a minimum of 1500$ in sales per shift, and even log your accessories and outfit in a book for your manager to go over. It's ridiculous for the amount of work. The managers are paid great and do little floor work. Staff is paid terrible. If you dislike or are impartial to retail and the fashion industry, don't take this job! There's nothing in it for you. They don't tell you the bad things until after you've taken the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease even out the work load with managers and heighten the pay. You can afford it.

Worth the Experience

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere. The music and clothing provides a feel as though you are always getting ready to go to the club. Clients generally are shopping for things to go out partying with so they come in excited which makes it easier to sell even in a low volume location. Very good company structure in terms of recognition (for top stylists ONLY) Loss Prevention standards and visual merchandising. As well as operations and product look ups for clients. A good place to get an idea of high fashion in your early management career without the stress, product, and challenges of high fashion. One of the greatest things about this company is that recruiters (Gucci, BCBG, to name a few) always come into the stores looking for people who are ready (and i mean READY) to move up the hierarchy. Always stay on your A Game, you never know who is watching you.

ConsThe company has a price point that doesn't match the quality of the clothing by a long shot. Also internally they try to place themselves among other brands such as BCBGMAXAZRIA as opposed to Zara which would make more sense based on the clients that are shopping there and the actual product reliability. Thus they miss out on the mid market that would bring them back to the top. They promote due to scheduling necessity as opposed to qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers. I read the Glassdoor information on this company and took the position anyway for the title and the experience. On my way to a competitor who offered more money (serious factor) and work life balance, I found out that my replacement manager (someone promoted internally who I actually hired and trained as her first job) was getting paid 3 more dollars than myself when her only job experience was the year I was her manager. Stylists in higher volume stores make generally 250% more than managers do. People work for people and when they are undervalued they will leave you.

Worked for bebe stores? Contribute to the Community!