bebe stores

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Jim Wiggett

Pros
  • GREAT discount, if you spend most of your money on clothes anyway the discount is definitely worth it (in 23 reviews)

• Right off the bat, the 50% discount is one of the best in the whole mall (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They pay a management position minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

• long hours, constantly changing store set up (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Needs employee upgrade

Former Employee - Stylist in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Cerritos, CA

I worked at bebe stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great design/merchandise, awesome employee discount, build close relationships with clients, work-life balance

Cons

no hours for part timers-you are lucky to get over 10 hrs a week. minimum wage non negotiable at interview for sales associates.

Manager was really friendly, seems like the company needs to upgrade their employee training

Great experience for someone new to the work world.

I have been working at bebe stores part-time

Pros

discount, discount, discount, discount, discount

Cons

cut throat, will walk all over you if you let them

stop treating sales associates as "stupid"

Needs better Senior Management

Current Employee - Senior Systems Manager in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Manager in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stays ahead of the technology, fast paced.

Cons

Good place and pay but the company is struggling with Senior Management. Just a handful of Execs run the show. Mandatory PTO of 10 days and not enough benefits.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at bebe stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount; being a stylist at bebe can be a great experience, depending on who is hired as your store manager. Clients are awesome.

Cons

More than 10 employees all resign from their position in one store within 4 months, that does not happen for no reason.

Low employee morale. Manager gossiping about stylists to other stylists. Store manager trying to schedule her weekends off.

Can somebody please tell me how a stylist can make 35 phones within 2.5 hours while tending to their clients, appointments in the evening while it's busy. Trying to hustle your commission so you don't have it cut into your paycheck when you're closing. All while the manager on shift is on their hour lunch break at the busiest time of day and at the end of the day taking their sweet time when closing. Most stylists don't make enough to deal with these things on top of a draining and complaining(non work-related matters) manager.

How can a manager be hired in and hire somebody in two weeks with less than 6 months of sales experience to be an assistant manager(someone who complains about customers more than interacting with them; clients are people too) hiring somebody like this over employees that have been at the store for 6+ months and are excellent candidates for managing? And then turn around and say "I would rather promote within" promoting more extremely unqualified employees.

Your stylists and store managers/other managers are the ones that are making you money. Consider treating employees better.

There is definitely things that need to be changed with human resources. How can a company offer an H.R. line, lie about what was said and use it against employee. That isn't what it is there for; it most definitely isn't there for district managers and a certain regional hiring manager to get rid of employees because they need to cover up their backside. Who tries to fire somebody because they're (exact words) "pregnant"?

If you want be in high school again work at bebe.

Uncertain future, but great culture

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Truly very nice people and senior management. Admittedly, I can only speak for my department, as I've heard other departments can be more political. But from what I've personally seen, everyone has the best of intentions, is very friendly, and more focused on doing a good job at their work than any interpersonal politics.
    - Work/Life balance is excellent. (I know this will vary depending on who you talk to though. Yet, this has been my experience at almost every company I've worked for. Some pull way more than their fair share of the weight and work crazy hours, but those folks kind of do it to themselves by not delegating, not prioritizing, or not raising flags to management effectively.)
    - Still has a big enough name recognition that moving to other retail companies is doable.
    - Pay is competitive, particularly more senior roles. Entry-level pay isn't amazing, but seems in line with industry standard.
    - Relatively flexible hours. As long as you get your work done, there's no insane amount of pressure to clock in and out at 9am and 6pm on the dot. If you can work efficiently and be sure your team is covered, that's what's important.
    - Dress code is also quite flexible. Of course it's a fashion/retail company, so people try to look their best and be well groomed, but you aren't required to wear bebe product if it's not your style, and no one expects people to wear 4" heels.
    - (Some may find this one a Con, but I see it as a Pro) Very entrepreneurial atmosphere with a "roll up your sleeves" and "wear many hats" mentality. Fast paced and hands-on. Very flat organizational culture. If you choose to, you can really learn a lot and perform activities you wouldn't get to for years at other retail companies.

Cons

- The office location isn't ideal to walk anywhere for lunch (except Ralph's across the street, which can actually be a bit depressing since it's the only thing). Most bring or order delivery. (But there is a very nice outdoor seating area/patio.)
    - Many hardware/software/security protocols are cumbersome and ridiculous. Only 1 truly helpful service-oriented IT person in my experience. (Although, more senior people in IT are quite good - but they focus on business systems, not day-to-day service.)
    - Some who have been at the company for many, many years are a bit antiquated in their practices (and are happy to remain comfortably stagnate). Tons of reports and spreadsheets running around without any sense of true purpose.
    - Departments need to coordinate more and really come together to help the business. Most are focused on their own individual or department numbers rather than how they could work with other departments to really innovate systems and improve the brand, products, and bottom line.
    - Honestly, the biggest con to the company isn't actually in HR's control. It's the general performance of the business as a whole. bebe isn't doing too well, as evidenced by the CEO's recent departure and slipping sales. There was a huge infusion of optimism when he first came in January 2013, and he hired some really terrific people that made the work environment and camaraderie much better than it ever had been in the past. Unfortunately, in the past few months (and especially in the past few weeks since he stepped down), it's hard to remain optimistic that the business is going to bounce back substantially. For this reason, job security doesn't really feel like it's there as it used to.

- Make your departments look at the bigger picture and work collaboratively with other departments to help increase the business. Reiterate that it's not just your job on the line, it's everyone's. One category's or department's slightly increased performance is not going to equate to true success of the brand.
    - Scrutinize those who have been there for a long time and weed out processes that serve no purpose or are just plain wrong/inappropriate for the current state of affairs. Sometimes, it's not about tenure, it's about innovation - particularly when a business isn't performing that well.

Part-time work that builds character

Former Employee - Sales Stylist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Stylist in Austin, TX

I worked at bebe stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My supervisor ended up becoming one of my best friends. We're still friends, 7 years later. At the time, the clothing was that of a higher quality and felt and looked amazing on. I took pride in styling, there.

Cons

You have to work on holidays, and hardly make money. Most of your check goes towards the clothing there that they highly encourage you to buy. No room for growth.

My nearly eight years at bebe have been dynamic and empowering.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's the people that make bebe such a rewarding place to work. The fashion industry is fast paced and demanding and without the camaraderie of the people at bebe the work experience would not be the same. The compensation is competitive. bebe rewards good performance. I love that bebe is not too big of a company so that the senior executives know more junior memebers of the team. The benefits offered are the best that I have experienced. bebe does care.

Cons

The fashion industry is faced paced and bebe is even faster. If you are not used to working on short multiple deadlines then bebe may not be for you; however if you are up to the challenge the opportunities to grow in your field exist.

Continue to invest in your people and offer more of the training that you have started to offer.

May 16, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! Our size not only allows for being nimble but as you wrote, even the CEO knows our Associates by name and we frequently have discussions ... More

Thumbs up for bebe!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time

Pros

Great group of people who each have a wealth of knowledge in their respective fields and who are down to earth and easy to talk to. Love the open communication I have with my team and supervising manager. Employee benefits are a plus not to mention the discount we receive on bebe clothes!

Cons

Location but I can't complain!

Team building activities a possibility?

May 16, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thank you for writing your review! I'm glad your manager is open and transparent and you benefit from our industry leading medical, dental and vision coverage! Team building sounds like a great ... More

Fabulous Brand

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company culture is collaborative, fast paced and high energy. Bebe values input from all levels within the organization and works toward creating a positive and transparent working environment for all. Everything bebe does is rooted in passion - for the product, client and employee. I feel that the company is committed to training and development so they are able to recognize and reward consistent top performing employees for advancement and opportunities. Leadership is very supportive and the executive team is top in the industry.

Cons

The company is results driven which creates pressure to produce results - however tools are provided to help you achieve those results.

Hours are irregular - but that goes without saying in a retail environment

May 20, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thanks for the review! I am very happy you value our culture of transparency and commitment to human capability development -- we are launching bebe U this fall, so be on the lookout for more ... More

Great professional opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the corporate headquarters, there is visibility to a wide variety of levels and departments within the organization: This is a fantastic environment for those who like to be seen and to collaborate on a broad spectrum of projects across disciplines. Also great for those who are self-directed.

Cons

This isn't a con per se, but everyone at bebe needs to hit the ground running and determine for themselves how they can make an impact. There isn't the luxury of being spoon fed all of the answers for how things should be done. The pace is fast and dynamic - maybe not a great place for clock watchers.

Everyone is insanely busy, but take the time to encourage developmental opportunities within your organization.