blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros:
  • "laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Cool technology and hot industry"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management sees themselves as brilliant wiz-kids and all employees as vermin"
    in 7 reviews
  • "O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

incompetent senior execs

blinkx (Former Employee)

I worked at blinkx

Proscool idea, online video search

ConsNo regard for employees as human beings. No communication from senior management of corporate strategies - even though there weren't any real missions or strategies or goals they didn't even convey whatever foolish plans they were conceiving. Didn't trust employees, listen to them, or properly utilize their skills. Just head down into their own ultimate destruction. Very odd work environment, no one really seemed to like each other. The MO seemed to be share nothing and if you're forced to, share less than will help your colleague. The attitude trickles down from senior management. Whatever was happening in reality didn't seem to ever line up with whatever they're reporting to the world. Nothing worked as it was supposed to and results appear to be very inflated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't really help. You don't know what you don't know. I just don't understand how people like that get to those positions. It's one of those situations where failure is the norm and no one keeps track of anyone else.

Indifferent

I worked at blinkx

ProsFast paced, great co-workers, interesting projects. Can make an impact to the direction of the company if you are willing to put in the effort.

ConsTotal lack of respect from management. Lots of mis-truths, white lies, broken promises, public humiliation, indeifference, lack of leadership and indecision.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some respect.

I'd hesitate to call it "management".

ProsAmazing location.
Fair compensation.
Friendly coworkers.
Stimulating work in the field of scalability and data aggregation.
High employee turnover means you can probably get a job there without much difficulty. Might be able to get a referral bonus if you could convince a friend to work there for a year. They might not be your friend anymore afterward, though.

ConsA complete lack of transparency on any level. Management would commit to specific deadlines long in advance but not tell engineering until days before. Maybe it was a motivational tactic; always keep your employees near an impending crisis and they'll work harder. Just promoted confusion and stress.

No visible product roadmap. Products, to the extent that there were any, were specced out on the spot by looming managers. No one had any idea what we'd be working on the next week let alone the next month. Much more time was put into the press release schedule than the engineering schedule.

Loud, bullpen-style office. No separation between PR, engineering, management, etc. Meaning often management will shout something all the way across the room and expect a response, distracting the hell out of everyone in between.

Many, many more fictitious demos and presentations than actual products. I'd call the driving force of Blinkx software development 'lie-based engineering' - hack up some demo for a product that might take months or years to complete properly, show it off to someone with money, then in the rare chance they actually bite, deliver the goods piecemeal until said customer gets fed up and stops paying. If more engineering time could be spent on the core product than these demos, Blinkx might actually be a usable website or search engine.

Shouting matches in the office from senior management. Multiple firings began with a manager calling someone "(strong expletive) stupid" repeatedly in front of the entire bullpen and ended with the employee escorted out that same day.

Most of the engineering team is hired straight out of college so they can pay the least amount possible to people too naive to know that a real company should have organization and direction. Meaning there's no senior engineers to fall to for mentoring or advice.

Showy displays of lame bonuses or gifts to certain employees at meetings. Eschewing a holiday bonus because "most would prefer a holiday party". (I don't know who comprised this 'most').

Advice to Senior ManagementIf at all possible, learn what the concept of respect is and start showing it to your employees. Just because you're paying someone doesn't entitle you to swear at them in front of their colleagues, passive-agressively jab about job performance, and keep them in the dark.

But realistically, never manage a company ever again. You don't deserve to be in charge of anyone or anything and to pretend otherwise is doing our economy, planet, and sanity a disservice.

Blinkx, A Regret that I can't afford again.

ProsCompensation
Nice view
Web 2.0 space
Free lunches

ConsNo Effective decision making
Keeping employees always in pressure
There seems to be no effective planning coming out from executive management.
Unprofessional attitude towards employees coming out from Executive management.
Lot of work that comes with stress because of no planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganization is necessary at executive management where more skilled managers and senior executive needs to be put in place. Also, value your employees.

THE worst possible place to develop your career.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at blinkx

ProsThere is no good reason to work for blinkx, you will be expected to work long hours for peanuts.

ConsThe company is propped up like a fancy magic act. Lots of smoke and mirrors. They promise software that can turn the audio in a video clip and make it searchable. The software they use for this, from their parent company Autonomy, does not work. These people employ more lawyers than actual engineers. Suranga is bi-polar, some days he's pleasant, most days he's a jerk that will use his Cambridge education to insult you. The CTO Matt is better suited to be a comedy writer than to lead any engineering team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a bridge and jump off it.

It's incredible blinkx is still around

I worked at blinkx

ProsI could have stared out the window for hours.

ConsI couldn't wait to jump out that window.

It's amazing that you can find some of the most despicable people in the industry, lump them together, and put them at the helm of a software company. There is absolutely no upside working for blinkx. The CTO is inept and has no management skills. The CMO keeps the fake hype floating, the COO isn't afraid to show preference certain folks, and don't get me started on the CEO. Wow, he needs to go to therapy to fix his feelings of inadequacy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some business and management courses at the local community college.

Is it the same company they are reviewing?

I have been working at blinkx

ProsExcellent remuneration
Opportunity to work at the cutting edge of technology
A great bunch of people
Good career development and a sense of progression

ConsBitter ex-employees posting whacked out reviews (see anywhere on this page)
The free Friday lunch (nice idea but could be better!)
Long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency as to long term plans would be nice and better PR. The product we are building is awesome but it's a bit demoralizing when few people I meet even know what Blinkx is.

Great Possibilities, Poor execution

ProsHot space
Interesting technology
Good buzz in industry

ConsPoor execution on products
Terrible treatment of employees
Poor communication- starting at management
Bogus PR: papering the industry with meaningless press releases
Lack of support, yet all the obligations on accomplishing things

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to clean house at the management level at blinkx, I don't think any reputable person who can contact people via sites like this or social networks will take a job at blinkx unless they are desperate.

If Only They Had a Clue!

Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at blinkx

ProsOnce building and location (but not actual office space), hot industry, cool technology.

Travel; for my role, face to face meetings were required and encouraged, so I was on a plane every week which meant I was NOT in the office (I'd do anything not to spend my day in that place).

ConsExecutives had ZERO experience in online video, and or online advertising, before starting blinkx so they don't know what they are doing, or what customers want. Additionally they have never truely sold enterprise software (which I was responsible for doing, even though 99% of my colleagues didn't know what I did), so Executives truly have no idea how to sell and close business. Every Quarter there would be at least one deal in which Executive team would get involved in a deal, and totally screw it up to the point where the prospect/customer would stop taking and returning calls! One time an Executive said to me; "Well you're the expert, I've never sold anything before". I sat there thinking, 'so why are you responsible for the sale's team then? And, why am I asking you on negotiating tactics then?!' Read their bios, they are complete fluff.

In every sales environment I've been in, it is expected that the sales person tailor the standard presentation to their personal style and to the audience they are presenting to. At Blinkx any deviation from the corporate deck was not tollerated. My colleauge in Ad Sales went to a client meeting with an Executive, and presented some of his own ideas. After the meeting nothing was said about the custom/new slides the rep has presented, but rather went back to tell the CEO about it. When the rep got back from his second meeting, the CEO came up to him, and asked to see the deck he had presented with Matt. The rep did so and when Suranga saw the custom slides he began yelling at the rep in front of the entire office. He didn't pull him into the conference room, but just stood their and yelled. So not only does the Executive team have zero tact in dealing with employees, but they also has no concept of collaboration, creativity, and empowering his employees to make decisions. This was an experienced Ad Sales rep, and in fact he told me later that the prospect and said they like his ideas best of all. When the concept was sold later, Marketing sent a note out saying "they" had come up with a new product- the rep got no credit.

What I found totally amazing was that the engineering team had no idea what my job was. My role was responsible for bringing in REVENUE, and yet non of the engineers had a clue that Blinkx sold software. They thought Blinkx simply sold ads on blinkx.com. How do you not tell your employees that your company sells software?

Each person who has worked for this Executive team, probably has at least a dozen stories of how inept, clueless, rude, and disrespectful, this team is. They probably also have tons of stories of how there is a lack of collaboration, trust, communication, and visibility into corporate goals, product road map (they don't even have a product road map), and overall lack of team.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite the all of these "glowing" reviews on this site, and the incredible employee churn, you will probably never change your ways. You think you know what you are doing and everyone else is wrong. Keep it up!

Place is a complete mess run by people without a clue

I worked at blinkx

ProsInteresting product, always intriguing to potential clients. Fairly good benefits as well as good technology and hardware provided to employees.

ConsManagement is totally clueless. They are unresponsive unless they need something. There is a total lack of respect for employees, who are frequently verbally chewed out and insulted in the presence of everyone else. There is no sales strategy and very little support. Management is unwilling to accept feedback because it's apparent that any suggestions are viewed as a judgement on their performance. Instead of offering positive support or suggestion, management responds to questions and feedback with the "you're not doing your job properly" response. Unwilling to accept that products are priced in a totally unrealistic manner with respect to the rest of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance to be successful. Respect your employees, as they're people. not drones to be controlled. Accept feedback and criticism from salespeople and use it to better the company instead of replying with insults clearly based on insecurity. Hire management with sales experience that also live in this continent...not South America.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!

blinkx Videos

blinkx – Why Work for Us?

blinkx (LSE AIM: BLNX) is an Internet media company that connects consumers and brands through premium content online. Founded in 2004, blinkx pioneered Internet Video Search using its patented COncept Recognition… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at blinkx reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by blinkx employees.