blinkx

Updated January 28, 2015
2.9

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Company!

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with flexible work life balance, which is good for my family life. Good pay and benefits. I really feel part of the team, and it was clear my work is appreciated and my hard efforts do go rewarded.

I have found my team leaders/management to be both responsive and helpful. So am not sure why so many reviews here are so negative.

Blinkx has many exciting products and is being well lead by senior management (even if the current mood of investors is very negative towards the company, it is not so for those of us working here).

Cons

Expect employees to work hard. So if this is not you then you may find life hard.

Keep up the good work. I expect our hard work will bear fruit shortly.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you feel part of the team! We strive to create a great team that works together. Our challenges make us stronger and as you ... More

Shady, probably illegal, definitely immoral.

I worked at blinkx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good for senior engineers. Casual place without too much supervision or micro-management. Free food and free coffee.

Cons

It's hard to comprehend how this company is still alive. There are no actual products or services being produced here.

You can actually "feel" the awfulness on people's faces, like everyone has just given up on improving the world.

Jan 29, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that we offer a robust line of products and work tirelessly to improve quality. If you would like to discuss further please email blinkxcares@blinkx.com

CEO needs to go

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with day to day are smart and dedicated.

Cons

No vision strategy or leadership at the top is made worse by questionable ethics and business practices they pretend don't exist. CEO doesn't care at all about employees and morale has been declining for a long time. Miserable place to work.

Find a leader who can turn the company around, otherwise it will continue to fall apart.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

I am sorry to hear your thoughts on blinkx and our leadership team. Blinkx strives for excellence and works tirelessly to make sure the company is a success. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More

Pathetic

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Stocked kitchen, industry standard benefits

Cons

Micro-mismanagement, slave drivers, unorganized chaos, project managers are non-existent, understaffed due to high turnover rates, prioritization is questionable, unrealistic pay, shady company

Bring on more directorate level staff; listen to your employees who have experience over those that truly do not have a clue; be realistic about hiring personnel; respect your employees and pay them appropriately; actually hire some project managers and get your priorities straight

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your experience with our company was unfavorable. We would be happy to discuss your concerns, please contact blinkxcares@blinkx.com .

Not worthy of your talent

Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, vacation time.

Cons

Lack of vision and leadership and desperation in product development are the norm at this place. At one point management said the only message from the CEO was "revenue needs to go up, and costs need to go down." That is not leadership. Basically it seems that management has a suite of old, disliked products that are considered annoyances to most users and Internet companies and instead of trying to innovate a new direction on the model, they are simply patching and reshaping the old stuff in a desperate attempt to keep them ticking. It's a dying strategy. Most of management's role seems to be to watch graphs and say "fix it now!" when the numbers aren't what they want.

Leadership comes from the top, not trying to force your employees to come up with "get rich quick" ideas or patching your already disliked products to squeak out one more month of life. Punishing your best employees by taking away their bonuses that they depend on is a bad idea. Recognize the talent of your employees and their dedication to getting it right, not just looking at numbers and screaming. If this is the way you want to do it, you would be better off just acquiring whatever works in the market, and outsourcing its maintenance until you run it into the ground, and then look for the next one.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Blinkx strives to ensure a positive work environment for all of its employees and takes your constructive criticism very seriously. If you’d like to discuss further ... More

Used to be a nice place to work, not so much anymore.

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, decent healthcare, flexible schedule. That's really about it, I would say people, but the smart ones are running for the door.

Cons

Prepare to be underpaid if you come work here. Blinkx promises to pay a 'bonus' instead of paying employees fair market value, they make up the difference with this 'bonus' and then fail to pay it, it's a scam. Forget about moving up or improving your career, when I asked about the promotion I'd been promised for years, I was told point blank that it would NEVER happen. How's that for leadership?

Stop having meetings where you just brag about how much money you're making and actually pay your employees, setup a 401k match, hire people to fill the quickly emptying seats, and also figure out a single unifying plan for the company instead of the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks approach. Stop issuing stock options to only your senior executives and start issuing them to your employees that actually get work done again. Not that the stock is worth anything anymore.

Aug 5, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and comments regarding employment at blinkx. We take this forum and comments made, very seriously. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More

Don't waste your time or talent

Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The snacks are a perk, the person ordering does her best to come up with variety while keeping some favorites and fulfilling requests. Admin is always smiling and helpful to everyone. Office location is nice, but seems to be getting crowded again. The health insurance is good, not a lot of out of pocket expenses.

Cons

There is no one leading the company! I asked human resources a question a while back and the answer was wrong, I was referred to a guy who isn't even a company employee but a contractor that works with the accounting department. I wasn't sure why an accountant was supposed to help with HR issues except upper management is either never around or doesn't know what they are doing. The budget for upgrades and training seems to be non-existent. Despite years of asking for it we still don't have a company match to our 401k.

Listen to your employees, engage with them. When you come in the office don't run to the nearest empty office and hide out. Why do you spend money flying all over if you're not there to interact with the employees? Wouldn't it be a better use of money to stay in your own office if you're not having a dialogue with the people working hard to make sure you get your big bonus? Raises and bonuses were delayed because you were too busy playing CYA after a blog came out that told people we work for an unethical company. We know it wasn't wrong, we are the ones working on the products. You can change the names of the divisions all you want but unless you change the products we're still the same company with the same leadership.

Jul 14, 2014Human Resources

Dear Employee,
    I am sorry to hear about your experience at blinkx. We try hard to make this a great place for employees to come and work. That said, I know we are far from perfect. We are always
    ... More

pathetic

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place in regards to work ethics. The CEO does not care that people are leaving. His attitude is that the company is better off without them.

Cons

No raises, no career path and no training or advancement. They only promote from outside.

Figure it out. You need to actually fix the issues from the ground up for a company to work. Talk to the worker bees and see what is going on. Don't take your top brass words for it.

Clueless senior management and dismal work atmosphere

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, good snacks in the kitchen, and the main office is in a nice location.

Cons

blinkx chases quick revenue, and is never willing to invest in strategy and long-term planning. The 5-star reviews on this site are fake and came from a management request. The company is extremely cheap. Employees are not encouraged to get training or advance their careers. Bonuses are a joke - because they're based on goals your manager sets for you, but managers have no clue what's really going on, because they're too busy doing acquisitions (hostile takeovers). They have no idea how to run a legitimate software development team. The product team is a disaster, mainly because of the leadership issues. They don't have anyone running HR because the people they hire keep leaving. The talented designers are miserable, reporting to managers with no design background and given no opportunity to grow. Employees from all the acquired companies are extremely unhappy, since the management rips their organizations apart without understanding how to run the businesses they just purchased.

You need to foster trust and loyalty among the management and the employees who do all the hard work. The company needs to redefine its self, and build integrity - not just with the people, but with how they run the business, and the product/service offerings. Invest in well-planned longer-term projects - run by people with proven experience. You need to remove the people at the top who are making horrible mistakes, and who have no idea how to manage teams, business relationships, projects, ad campaigns, technology, media, etc. It hurts moral and motivation levels when the few good people you have left (who know what they're doing), see these poor management decisions. End the nepotism and stop hiring and advancing people you have personal relationships with - it's not good for employee moral or for the bottom line. When people quit, don't dump their workload on other employees permanently, without giving them a raise or new title to match their added responsibilities.

Run. Run fast.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and good immediate level management (at least in my case) made it a bearable stay. Free, salt/sugar-heavy snacks in the kitchen. Good people at the bottom level, with a sense of "we're all stuck here" comaraderie.

Cons

Incredibly cheap company, from what they pay workers, to equipment, to investment in infrastructure and tools. Salary was laughable, and they do quarterly "bonuses" that are really just deferred salary, so they can take the tax benefit of keeping the money longer. On top of that, they would be delayed on occasion as well. A lot of their "revenue" feels fake, even from the inside. The whole place feels like a house of cards. Constantly at war with real companies who do not like their questionable behavior. I'm pretty sure that every 5-star review is upper-management padding their rating. Nobody that I knew was very happy, and certainly not 5-stars happy.

Learn to value your employees, they're the ones doing the work. As far as I can tell, most of you are just there to sell snake-oil to investors, starting at the very top with the CEO who calls into meeting from a McDonalds play zone, judging from the background noise. At least take care of the people that make that possible.

Follow through on your promises. Delaying bonuses that people rely on for their families, because you pay WELL BELOW industry rates is a real kick in the nuts. Not to mention delaying promised raises as well. No wonder everyone has one foot out the door.