blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros:
  • "laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Cool technology and hot industry"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with"
    in 7 reviews
  • "O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

pathetic

ProsThere is nothing good to say about this place in regards to work ethics. The CEO does not care that people are leaving. His attitude is that the company is better off without them.

ConsNo raises, no career path and no training or advancement. They only promote from outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out. You need to actually fix the issues from the ground up for a company to work. Talk to the worker bees and see what is going on. Don't take your top brass words for it.

Clueless senior management and dismal work atmosphere

ProsDecent benefits, good snacks in the kitchen, and the main office is in a nice location.

Consblinkx chases quick revenue, and is never willing to invest in strategy and long-term planning. The 5-star reviews on this site are fake and came from a management request. The company is extremely cheap. Employees are not encouraged to get training or advance their careers. Bonuses are a joke - because they're based on goals your manager sets for you, but managers have no clue what's really going on, because they're too busy doing acquisitions (hostile takeovers). They have no idea how to run a legitimate software development team. The product team is a disaster, mainly because of the leadership issues. They don't have anyone running HR because the people they hire keep leaving. The talented designers are miserable, reporting to managers with no design background and given no opportunity to grow. Employees from all the acquired companies are extremely unhappy, since the management rips their organizations apart without understanding how to run the businesses they just purchased.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to foster trust and loyalty among the management and the employees who do all the hard work. The company needs to redefine its self, and build integrity - not just with the people, but with how they run the business, and the product/service offerings. Invest in well-planned longer-term projects - run by people with proven experience. You need to remove the people at the top who are making horrible mistakes, and who have no idea how to manage teams, business relationships, projects, ad campaigns, technology, media, etc. It hurts moral and motivation levels when the few good people you have left (who know what they're doing), see these poor management decisions. End the nepotism and stop hiring and advancing people you have personal relationships with - it's not good for employee moral or for the bottom line. When people quit, don't dump their workload on other employees permanently, without giving them a raise or new title to match their added responsibilities.

Run. Run fast.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours and good immediate level management (at least in my case) made it a bearable stay. Free, salt/sugar-heavy snacks in the kitchen. Good people at the bottom level, with a sense of "we're all stuck here" comaraderie.

ConsIncredibly cheap company, from what they pay workers, to equipment, to investment in infrastructure and tools. Salary was laughable, and they do quarterly "bonuses" that are really just deferred salary, so they can take the tax benefit of keeping the money longer. On top of that, they would be delayed on occasion as well. A lot of their "revenue" feels fake, even from the inside. The whole place feels like a house of cards. Constantly at war with real companies who do not like their questionable behavior. I'm pretty sure that every 5-star review is upper-management padding their rating. Nobody that I knew was very happy, and certainly not 5-stars happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees, they're the ones doing the work. As far as I can tell, most of you are just there to sell snake-oil to investors, starting at the very top with the CEO who calls into meeting from a McDonalds play zone, judging from the background noise. At least take care of the people that make that possible.

Follow through on your promises. Delaying bonuses that people rely on for their families, because you pay WELL BELOW industry rates is a real kick in the nuts. Not to mention delaying promised raises as well. No wonder everyone has one foot out the door.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

After reading this review you should stop any communication with their hiring manager

(Former Employee)

ProsGood place for those who don't want to do anything, and happy with industry mediocre paycheck.

ConsDouble check everything they tell you on interview. Unbelievably incompetent management. Zero task delegation. No product vision whatsoever. New software and improvements have flatline adoption curve. Heavy rotation, people run like hell from this festering pit, and management is even ashamed to report employees gone. There are some good people that trapped there with acquisitions, but they leave as soon as they can. I couldn't tolerate it anymore and decided to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs a hard reboot.

Worst professional experience of career.

Directory of Engineering (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsA few very nice people there, people I respected and wanted to work with.

ConsWorst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with. No product vision or direction, tons of micro management. IMO, most of company is made up of C and D players. Very few high performers. My sentiments were not alone, this is a feeling at least some employees I worked with have themselves. Most telling fact, my contact at the company quit the same week I joined. This should have tipped me off that it was not a great place.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what's really going on and who is making decisions.

Terrible place to work

Sales (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSome of the people are good to work with.

ConsNo communication - upper management shares nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

HORRIBLE

ProsFree lunches
    Coworkers are generally cool unless they're at mid-management or higher
    A fully stocked fridge and kitchen
    Pay is decent

ConsEverything else. If you like working in a boring, stuffy work environment with management breathing down your neck at every step, this might be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Realize that you don't actually know everything. Show your employees some respect and reward ingenuity and hard work instead of trying to bend them to your will.

Worst Job Ever

San Francisco, CA

ProsMy peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

ConsTerrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

I'm so glad this place is behind me, wish I never joined

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe senior managers have really cool accents. It’s like working for a mean little Hugh Grant. If you like senior managers who are bad at managing but have really cool accents, then you’ll love it here.

Most middle managers and peers are good people. Their morale is low, but they’re good people.

ConsThe work environment is the worst. Senior management sees themselves as brilliant wiz-kids and all employees as vermin. Employees are disrespected and constantly reminded of their expendability. Folks are scared of the penalties of a bad decision so they don’t make decisions on their own. Their fear keeps them from investing any time in helping out fellow peers, it’s all about protecting yourself.

It’s just no fun to be treated so poorly and seeing people you respect being treated even worse. There’s an uncomfortable, depressing feeling everywhere, in meetings, in conversations, in work habits that all stem from the awful senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt’s probably too late. No one from senior management understands good leadership. B-slap the top five and replace with smart, respectful, experienced leaders and maybe there’s hope.

If you're thinking of applying for a job here, you may want to think again.

(Former Employee)

ProsConceptually a great service, unfortunately not so great in reality.
    Some (but not all) wonderful co-workers, who give, and give, and give.
    Generally fair pay.

ConsParanoid, egotistical management, with poor people skills.
    Disorganized, lots of balls being dropped, in generally all departments.
    Low morale, many employees who would normally leave this company feel stuck because of the poor economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds an overhaul top down, especially at the top, but may be too late for that - doubtful if Blinkx could attract the right kind of management talent now.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!

blinkx Videos

blinkx – Why Work for Us?

blinkx (LSE AIM: BLNX) is an Internet media company that connects consumers and brands through premium content online. Founded in 2004, blinkx pioneered Internet Video Search using its patented COncept Recognition… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at blinkx reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by blinkx employees.