blinkx Reviews

84 reviews filtered by
2.7
blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Company!

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with flexible work life balance, which is good for my family life. Good pay and benefits. I really feel part of the team, and it was clear my work is appreciated and my hard efforts do go rewarded.

I have found my team leaders/management to be both responsive and helpful. So am not sure why so many reviews here are so negative.

Blinkx has many exciting products and is being well lead by senior management (even if the current mood of investors is very negative towards the company, it is not so for those of us working here).

Cons

Expect employees to work hard. So if this is not you then you may find life hard.

Keep up the good work. I expect our hard work will bear fruit shortly.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you feel part of the team! We strive to create a great team that works together. Our challenges make us stronger and as you ... More

Culture of fear

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry, some very talented people are still at the company.

Cons

The CEO leads by instilling fear, just like what was said in the last (real) review. No one will stand up to him, and if you do, you will find yourself out of a job. Which is a shame, because the CEO knows the least about the company and what we actually do. A good CEO welcomes different opinions and surrounds himself with smart people who are trusted to lead the company. CEO surrounds himself with people who tell him what he wants to hear. He makes things personal and no one respects him or his get rich quick schemes.

Stand up and be counted. The employees deserve that.

Mar 19, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. While we were happy to hear you recognize the awesome, talented employees we have here at blinkx, we were disappointed in reading the rest of your review. Blinkx prides ... More

Empty Promises, Empty Chairs

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

There are still some good people who still work here. A small handful anyway. Work hours are pretty decent. You don't often have to work weekends.

Cons

Nobody is happy to come to work anymore. And many have stopped coming permanently, they quit.

Communication is terrible from the top down.

Morale is in the toilet, and for valid reasons. It's pretty unanimous. Unless you believe those reviews posted by HR to try and stem the onslaught of the inevitable.

They try and ask us to write them too. We all know you're trying to pad reviews here on Glassdoor. We don't appreciate it. Trust me, we want to write good reviews. Give us some reasons too. Then ask. You won't have to when that time comes.

The execs who drove this company into its current dire situation, blame everyone but themselves. They seem perplexed. They can't fathom why on earth they see constant failure. Even though, the reasons stem from their own actions. They don't invest in their people. They don't provide resources. They don't provide the time.

Salaries fall short. They promise things and don't deliver. The culture sucks, we don't even have any. HR seems to think a newsletter is all it takes.

Stop with your get rich quick schemes. We all love a quick dollar on occasion, but your employees deserve stability. The type of stability that only comes with proper business models and great products. You try and rule by fear. You push unrealistic deadlines. You kick your employees when we're already down.

Guess what. We're not afraid. Those of us left are just trying to turn things around for the other people who work here. You've used your axe to cut people, but soon it will be your positions if you don't change.

Trust the people you have employed. Let them do what they do best. Stop derailing everything they're trying to accomplish. Your decisions did this to the company. Your lack of understanding continues to plague this company. Your lack of communication is felt every day. Your lack of trust is known by all.

CHANGE ALREADY!

Mar 2, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Know that management understands and appreciates the value, hard work, and dedication each employee brings to the company. We are extremely ... More

The latest reviews speak for themselves

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Great snacks. Nice view. People are generally nice and smart.

Cons

Like others have said, there is no leadership and the company and CEO have very questionable ethics. It's like a labor camp here. No recognition for working countless hours to deliver projects.

Start leading and get a new ceo

Mar 2, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you recognize the incredibly awesome and smart employees we have here at blinkx! However, we are disappointed to hear that you feel management is not ... More

Shady, probably illegal, definitely immoral.

I worked at blinkx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good for senior engineers. Casual place without too much supervision or micro-management. Free food and free coffee.

Cons

It's hard to comprehend how this company is still alive. There are no actual products or services being produced here.

You can actually "feel" the awfulness on people's faces, like everyone has just given up on improving the world.

Jan 29, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that we offer a robust line of products and work tirelessly to improve quality. If you would like to discuss further please email blinkxcares@blinkx.com

Pathetic

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Stocked kitchen, industry standard benefits

Cons

Micro-mismanagement, slave drivers, unorganized chaos, project managers are non-existent, understaffed due to high turnover rates, prioritization is questionable, unrealistic pay, shady company

Bring on more directorate level staff; listen to your employees who have experience over those that truly do not have a clue; be realistic about hiring personnel; respect your employees and pay them appropriately; actually hire some project managers and get your priorities straight

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your experience with our company was unfavorable. We would be happy to discuss your concerns, please contact blinkxcares@blinkx.com .

Not worthy of your talent

Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, vacation time.

Cons

Lack of vision and leadership and desperation in product development are the norm at this place. At one point management said the only message from the CEO was "revenue needs to go up, and costs need to go down." That is not leadership. Basically it seems that management has a suite of old, disliked products that are considered annoyances to most users and Internet companies and instead of trying to innovate a new direction on the model, they are simply patching and reshaping the old stuff in a desperate attempt to keep them ticking. It's a dying strategy. Most of management's role seems to be to watch graphs and say "fix it now!" when the numbers aren't what they want.

Leadership comes from the top, not trying to force your employees to come up with "get rich quick" ideas or patching your already disliked products to squeak out one more month of life. Punishing your best employees by taking away their bonuses that they depend on is a bad idea. Recognize the talent of your employees and their dedication to getting it right, not just looking at numbers and screaming. If this is the way you want to do it, you would be better off just acquiring whatever works in the market, and outsourcing its maintenance until you run it into the ground, and then look for the next one.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Blinkx strives to ensure a positive work environment for all of its employees and takes your constructive criticism very seriously. If you’d like to discuss further ... More

Used to be a nice place to work, not so much anymore.

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, decent healthcare, flexible schedule. That's really about it, I would say people, but the smart ones are running for the door.

Cons

Prepare to be underpaid if you come work here. Blinkx promises to pay a 'bonus' instead of paying employees fair market value, they make up the difference with this 'bonus' and then fail to pay it, it's a scam. Forget about moving up or improving your career, when I asked about the promotion I'd been promised for years, I was told point blank that it would NEVER happen. How's that for leadership?

Stop having meetings where you just brag about how much money you're making and actually pay your employees, setup a 401k match, hire people to fill the quickly emptying seats, and also figure out a single unifying plan for the company instead of the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks approach. Stop issuing stock options to only your senior executives and start issuing them to your employees that actually get work done again. Not that the stock is worth anything anymore.

Aug 5, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and comments regarding employment at blinkx. We take this forum and comments made, very seriously. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More

Don't waste your time or talent

Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The snacks are a perk, the person ordering does her best to come up with variety while keeping some favorites and fulfilling requests. Admin is always smiling and helpful to everyone. Office location is nice, but seems to be getting crowded again. The health insurance is good, not a lot of out of pocket expenses.

Cons

There is no one leading the company! I asked human resources a question a while back and the answer was wrong, I was referred to a guy who isn't even a company employee but a contractor that works with the accounting department. I wasn't sure why an accountant was supposed to help with HR issues except upper management is either never around or doesn't know what they are doing. The budget for upgrades and training seems to be non-existent. Despite years of asking for it we still don't have a company match to our 401k.

Listen to your employees, engage with them. When you come in the office don't run to the nearest empty office and hide out. Why do you spend money flying all over if you're not there to interact with the employees? Wouldn't it be a better use of money to stay in your own office if you're not having a dialogue with the people working hard to make sure you get your big bonus? Raises and bonuses were delayed because you were too busy playing CYA after a blog came out that told people we work for an unethical company. We know it wasn't wrong, we are the ones working on the products. You can change the names of the divisions all you want but unless you change the products we're still the same company with the same leadership.

Jul 14, 2014Human Resources

Dear Employee,
    I am sorry to hear about your experience at blinkx. We try hard to make this a great place for employees to come and work. That said, I know we are far from perfect. We are always
    ... More

pathetic

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place in regards to work ethics. The CEO does not care that people are leaving. His attitude is that the company is better off without them.

Cons

No raises, no career path and no training or advancement. They only promote from outside.

Figure it out. You need to actually fix the issues from the ground up for a company to work. Talk to the worker bees and see what is going on. Don't take your top brass words for it.