blinkx

Updated July 31, 2014

3.1

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary (in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a nice place to work, not so much anymore.

Pros

Free food, decent healthcare, flexible schedule. That's really about it, I would say people, but the smart ones are running for the door.

Cons

Prepare to be underpaid if you come work here. Blinkx promises to pay a 'bonus' instead of paying employees fair market value, they make up the difference with this 'bonus' and then fail to pay it, it's a scam. Forget about moving up or improving your career, when I asked about the promotion I'd been promised for years, I was told point blank that it would NEVER happen. How's that for leadership?

Stop having meetings where you just brag about how much money you're making and actually pay your employees, setup a 401k match, hire people to fill the quickly emptying seats, and also figure out a single unifying plan for the company instead of the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks approach. Stop issuing stock options to only your senior executives and start issuing them to your employees that actually get work done again. Not that the stock is worth anything anymore.

Aug 5, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and comments regarding employment at blinkx. We take this forum and comments made, very seriously. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More

how is it to work at blinkx

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

convinient, nice location, great office space

Cons

salary, stock in really bad state

Jul 23, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy the office environment. We are always open to additional feedback. Please feel free to reach out to blinkxcares@blinkx.com and an HR ... More

Lot's of autonomy and perfect job for the self-starter who doesn't need a lot of supervision

Pros

there's a lot of ears open when you voice your opinion. You have the freedom to really branch out and take on whatever role you'd like to take. If you have initiative, you can pull in other employees from other departments or divisions to really make a difference..

Cons

The industry is very fast face and ever changing. Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with all the changes.

Keep looking out for the A players who are looking to take on more, and make sure they're recognized and noticed for their contributions.

Jul 15, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with blinkx.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your time or talent

Current Employee - Problem Solver  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA

Pros

The snacks are a perk, the person ordering does her best to come up with variety while keeping some favorites and fulfilling requests. Admin is always smiling and helpful to everyone. Office location is nice, but seems to be getting crowded again. The health insurance is good, not a lot of out of pocket expenses.

Cons

There is no one leading the company! I asked human resources a question a while back and the answer was wrong, I was referred to a guy who isn't even a company employee but a contractor that works with the accounting department. I wasn't sure why an accountant was supposed to help with HR issues except upper management is either never around or doesn't know what they are doing. The budget for upgrades and training seems to be non-existent. Despite years of asking for it we still don't have a company match to our 401k.

Listen to your employees, engage with them. When you come in the office don't run to the nearest empty office and hide out. Why do you spend money flying all over if you're not there to interact with the employees? Wouldn't it be a better use of money to stay in your own office if you're not having a dialogue with the people working hard to make sure you get your big bonus? Raises and bonuses were delayed because you were too busy playing CYA after a blog came out that told people we work for an unethical company. We know it wasn't wrong, we are the ones working on the products. You can change the names of the divisions all you want but unless you change the products we're still the same company with the same leadership.

Jul 14, 2014Human Resources

Dear Employee,
    I am sorry to hear about your experience at blinkx. We try hard to make this a great place for employees to come and work. That said, I know we are far from perfect. We are always
    ... More

You'll gain experience here.. because you literally have to think on your feet and fix everything that breaks each week.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The work-life balance is great, making your own hours, even though you're expected to work weekends... The office culture is split into two. Once someone has pass the 4/5 year mark, you're in with the "good ol boys" group. Free snacks in the kitchen... nothing but junk food. Want to learn a new skill in a hurry? Great because there's always something that's been broken for weeks...years... and it needs to be fixed now.

Cons

Please read the comments below the last 3. True wisdom is there and please run.. RUN. You're on your own after a few months. Not much help or praise is given, a half smile "good job" here or there or "thanks". Then back to work. You're paid next to nothing, and they know it- this is something they're proud of! It's an office full of desperation.... While you look at your co-workers in pity knowing all the hard work they put in for the less than measly pay given. Expect yearly cuts in any bonus, mbos, etc. Forget about an increase in salary or growing with the company in any way shape or form.. except for when others start to leave. They won't hire someone to replace them.... That's now your responsibility. Expect to wear many hats and deal with "that's not my job" and "we have to get this done so stay late" types in the office.

Validate your employees hard work. Pay them what they're worth. Be loyal to them and the favor will return.

Jul 10, 2014Human Resources

I am sorry you are having a negative experience at blinkx. Over the past 10 years we have worked tirelessly to make this a great place to come to work. We are extremely proud of the company and ... More

Blinkx/Prime Visibility review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Pros

Smart, hard working co-workers. Great benefits. Awesome leadership, great vision.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Keep up the great work. Great culture, happy employees. Move forward on the 401k match.

Jul 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your perspective and the time you took to share your views about blinkx !

Overall a forward thinking company

Pros

Great place to work! Everyone really has a sense of ownership and direction, and the company embraces this work ethic. Lots of opportunity if one has the drive.

Cons

Company has grown pretty quickly, and feel like maybe some eggs are spread too thin, but otherwise, overall management is working towards better growth

Company targeting a niche market with a reducing opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Pizza on fridays, flexible hours if you like to start at 11am, management just don't care.

Cons

office very far away from the subway, low salary compare to all the work and responsibilities asked to put on, lazy management: The director of marketing clearly prefer to take times off to play cricket (yes...) at least 2 times a weeks than spending time with its team to improve results.The motto "Lead by example" was clearly never heard off in this company.

Get your priority right, having a prestigious office downtown isn't gonna make the company better, nor is it going to improve your revenues.
    The company that was occupying our office before were around 30-40 people, we were less than 15 and management wants to move to a bigger office because you think this is too small?that Despite falling revenues because our business model sucks?
    Mangement should save on cost and invest in badly needed marketing and developing new channels instead of that management decide to rent an office right downtown Montreal which will cost 3 to 4 times what we are paying in current office.
    Then they decide to lay down tow of their best business developers to save on cost so they can move to a more prestigious office they clearly don't need...

A growing company with great opportunities

Current Employee - Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

I have worked at blinkx for almost three years now. I have learned so much and really advanced in my career. You can make the position your own and take on new projects, as the company has grown a lot in the past few years. You work with people from multiple offices and continue to learn new things every day.

Cons

The challenge of working at blinkx is keeping self-motivated. You are not micro-managed and you must be proactive at all times.

I trust the senior leadership team is continuously working to make blinkx a better business ! I love working with a team that challenges me and helps me grow.

pathetic

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place in regards to work ethics. The CEO does not care that people are leaving. His attitude is that the company is better off without them.

Cons

No raises, no career path and no training or advancement. They only promote from outside.

Figure it out. You need to actually fix the issues from the ground up for a company to work. Talk to the worker bees and see what is going on. Don't take your top brass words for it.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!