blinkx Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good benefits, paid holidays, vacation time (in 6 reviews)

• The free snacks are nice, and there are some occasionally smart people in the mix at the mid level management and below (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

Waste Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Whilst the company appeared to have a solid team that worked hard, the underlying waste management situation was always in jeopardy. Lower level management supported their employees for the most part, however, senior management were clueless to the massive pitfalls of the technology and the dangers to waste management. Great snacks were available at all times, as was access to Marketplace which was good for team morale. I believe this is what kept the ship sailing for so long, as well as the ample amounts of my fellow waste management compatriots.

Cons

I will always remember that fateful day, it was where everything changed in a instant. The underlying tech issues caused a campaign to fail and produce outburst that will never be forgotten. The waste management situation was destroyed.

Advice to Management

Bins are for life, you hit, we hurt.

A circus freakshow of a company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros? Of Blinkx? Ummm....we had pretty good snacks in the office, largely due to our snack director. The people as well. They were great to work with.

Cons

Where do I begin..... Terrible products that barely ever worked...the dinosaur adserver that is AdConductor, the culprit to everyday meltdowns. Senior management who talked a lot without actually saying anything (if that's possible). Senior management who just wouldn't show up to work sometimes. Sales who couldn't sell (Though not entirely their fault, how do you sell a product like Blinkx?). No job training, with a 'figure it out yourself' mentality and then a 'i'm going to yell at you when you've done something wrong' response. The CEO....pah, I won't even go into the CEO. Need I go on?

Advice to Management

Stop screaming and kicking bins in fits of rage around your employees. It's unbecoming of you.

Awesomeness which is Blinkx

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Employees in the UK knew the market, wanted to grow the business in line with how the market was moving. Some dedicated and hard working people were going above and beyond the call of duty. Working weekends and long evenings regardless of not been in a senior positions.

Cons

> US mentality were to always push back on ideas, ethics when it came to been innovative. > Lost some really great assets/employees/sites due to false promises. > Lost leadership/structure when the last MD left and was not replaced for a while > CEO does not really understand sales (which Blinkx is) but more tech. No USP here for Mr CEO. > Unfortunate that the London office has close, due to losing valuable employees but they needed to jump ship due to seeing how the company was going under in the UK.

Advice to Management

Best of luck with the re-branding and hope you open up in the UK again with a better structure and be well informed when you do so.

Blinkx Media UK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

You get to go to the pub whenever you want and can turn up drunk

Cons

The company wasn't actually doing anything and didn't really have a product. If a campaign was by some miracle sold it wouldn't actually be able to run because the technology was faulty/didn't work.

Advice to Management

Stop kicking bins

6. Solid company

I worked at blinkx part-time

Pros

great people, good incentives, and the company has a lot of potential for growth. it seems upper management truly understands the space they are working in and how to succeed.

Cons

i was only a part time intern and didnt have a lot of work to do. not the companys fault, i didnt stay long because i found another opportunity.

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing

7. Great Benefits, Fast-Paced Environment - Overall Great Place to Work

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool company / fun place to work. Most of the staff is made up of super talented, smart, and approachable people. The fact that blinkx has acquired a few different brands means that an employee from one company has access to the skill set of an employee from another company. I didn't realize this was much of a "pro" until it came up with a project I was working on and was able to leverage an employee from a recently acquired company. Benefits are great, and a lot better than similar companies in the industry from what I've seen (especially with the recently implemented 401k match). Awesome health care coverage and great vacation / time off package. You can carry over vacation and sick days to the next year if you don't use them. Free snacks & coffee are also a nice touch, especially for someone like me who probably drinks 7 cups per day :). Benefits weren't bad 3 years ago when I first started, but have definitely gotten a lot better over the last year and a half or so. Upper level management also does a good job in recognizing and rewarding those with a strong work ethic; including promoting within the organization. I've seen many colleagues (including myself) get a promotion as a result of the hard work they put in.

Cons

Workload can sometimes be heavy and result in putting in extra hours. It doesn't often interfere with weekends, but most employees are working more than a 9-5 day.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. Focus on continuing to align the different divisions within the organization.

Mar 26, 2015 – Human Resources

We appreciate your review! As we grow, employees are given a unique opportunity to work across divisions and utilize strengths across multiple projects, within the organization. As you have seen ... More

Good first job, can learn a lot.

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

Pros

Some great people, exposure to a rich technology platform. They deal with all pieces of advertising, including display, video, mobile, programmatic, and SOE.

Cons

Poor communication across business units makes it hard to see the Big Picture. Company seems to change direction frequently, but not decisively.

Advice to Management

Give more autonomy to mid-level management. Focus on communicating effectively, and getting buy-in from employees.

Mar 26, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback! We are excited you recognize the awesome team here at blinkx and our range of products. We strive to provide each employee with growth opportunities within the ... More

Culture of fear

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry, some very talented people are still at the company.

Cons

The CEO leads by instilling fear, just like what was said in the last (real) review. No one will stand up to him, and if you do, you will find yourself out of a job. Which is a shame, because the CEO knows the least about the company and what we actually do. A good CEO welcomes different opinions and surrounds himself with smart people who are trusted to lead the company. CEO surrounds himself with people who tell him what he wants to hear. He makes things personal and no one respects him or his get rich quick schemes.

Advice to Management

Stand up and be counted. The employees deserve that.

Mar 19, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. While we were happy to hear you recognize the awesome, talented employees we have here at blinkx, we were disappointed in reading the rest of your review. Blinkx prides ... More

Empty Promises, Empty Chairs

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

There are still some good people who still work here. A small handful anyway. Work hours are pretty decent. You don't often have to work weekends.

Cons

Nobody is happy to come to work anymore. And many have stopped coming permanently, they quit. Communication is terrible from the top down. Morale is in the toilet, and for valid reasons. It's pretty unanimous. Unless you believe those reviews posted by HR to try and stem the onslaught of the inevitable. They try and ask us to write them too. We all know you're trying to pad reviews here on Glassdoor. We don't appreciate it. Trust me, we want to write good reviews. Give us some reasons too. Then ask. You won't have to when that time comes. The execs who drove this company into its current dire situation, blame everyone but themselves. They seem perplexed. They can't fathom why on earth they see constant failure. Even though, the reasons stem from their own actions. They don't invest in their people. They don't provide resources. They don't provide the time. Salaries fall short. They promise things and don't deliver. The culture sucks, we don't even have any. HR seems to think a newsletter is all it takes.

Advice to Management

Stop with your get rich quick schemes. We all love a quick dollar on occasion, but your employees deserve stability. The type of stability that only comes with proper business models and great products. You try and rule by fear. You push unrealistic deadlines. You kick your employees when we're already down. Guess what. We're not afraid. Those of us left are just trying to turn things around for the other people who work here. You've used your axe to cut people, but soon it will be your positions if you don't change. Trust the people you have employed. Let them do what they do best. Stop derailing everything they're trying to accomplish. Your decisions did this to the company. Your lack of understanding continues to plague this company. Your lack of communication is felt every day. Your lack of trust is known by all. CHANGE ALREADY!

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Know that management understands and appreciates the value, hard work, and dedication each employee brings to the company. We are extremely ... More

The latest reviews speak for themselves

Pros

Great snacks. Nice view. People are generally nice and smart.

Cons

Like others have said, there is no leadership and the company and CEO have very questionable ethics. It's like a labor camp here. No recognition for working countless hours to deliver projects.

Advice to Management

Start leading and get a new ceo

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you recognize the incredibly awesome and smart employees we have here at blinkx! However, we are disappointed to hear that you feel management is not ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed